ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be easy enough. The girls were asleep and inebriated. That being said, it makes me wonder if one of the two was the target, the killings began upstairs and the noise woke Ethan and Xana. Without jumping off the 3rd floor balcony, the perp had to make his way back across the 2nd floor. Would be especially plausible if Ethan was found in hallway and Xana in bed, maybe she only half woke up and didn’t scream. Most of these attacks were likely so sudden there was probably little noise from the victims.
At the very least, it lowers the chances that just one person successfully carried out the murders. It would be hard enough to kill two people in the same bed with a knife even once, let alone doing it twice. Unless the killer were a very large man OR there were multiple killers. JMO.

Is anyone else now wondering if this is how they know the time of death so precisely? Based on Alivea's claim Kaylee repeatedly called people until they answered; maybe they were attacked while making those phone calls to JD?

MOO

I would bet that if LE told a parent some detail and said that it should be kept private so as not to compromise the investigation, then the parent would keep that detail quiet. I would think that any of the parents would understand that necessity. I give them credit for being able to speak at all. I doubt that I would be able to :( MOO
I don’t know how I feel about any of this. I can’t expect a parent to run his eulogy for his child past the police before speaking. Would LE ask him to not share any details that have not been made public? If LE chose not to divulge that fact, was it important to keep it private in order to catch the kille

Perhaps whoever saw the body/bodies couldn't comprehend that they were actually dead and still clung to hope that they were alive, which is why they said "unconscious" on the 911 call. It's easier to conclude someone is unconscious than to be forced to acknowledge that they are dead. People will sometimes do this, even when it is very obvious to an observer with more distance that the victim is clearly dead.
Nope. As I wrote before it’s simply the protocol of some police departments to never dispatch a call for a “dead person”. They use “unconscious“ until a police officer or the medical examiner pronounces the person dead.

Question, I read earlier today a poster said LE was looking for a hunter because a hunting knife, I thought LE id'd it as a "combat/fighting" knife, was it changed?

Also regarding the K & M in the same bed, thinking out loud, either one passed out in the other's bed, or they were lovers, or one came to the defense of the other if she heard something? Other possibilities?
I think this must be a generation gap thing, so please let me try to explain why there’s no reason to read into them being found in the same bed. This is totally standard & platonic best friend behaviour. When I was away at school, my friends & I rarely slept by ourselves in our own beds. Especially after a few drinks. & it had nothing to do with being lovers or being scared of something. We’re truly just a hyperactive, overstimulated, anxiety-ridden, codependent generation. We never learned how to be alone with our own thoughts, so we like to stick together!

So let's say for now we have the actual murder scenes down to two rooms. Xana's on the second floor and Maddies on the third. The question is now in which room did it all start? Did they start in Xana's room and move up, or Maddies's room and move down. If they knew who was all in the house than they may started with Xana's room because it had the only male in the house. If they didn't know who all was there then that logic goes out the window. I guess it depends on who the target was. If there was one. Thoughts?
My guess would be since E was found outside of a bedroom, it started in the room with the 2 girls. Likely E, and maybe X, heard something, went to investigate, encountered the killer in hallway and was killed there

ETA: apparently this detail hasn't been officially confirmed as I had previously thought. So, *IF* E was found outside bedroom, my above theory would apply, imo

Last edited:
My thought is that there were only a few possibilities, anyway—they were in separate rooms, the same room, or one in a room and one in the hallway. So the suspect/poi has a 33% chance of being right anyway. I don’t think K’s dad is giving it all away by saying they were in the same room/bed. For all we know, he did run his speech by LE first and they okayed it. MOO

I am so bothered by the 3-6 timeline LE gave to the public asking for videos they might have during that time. Why not 2-6? Why not 1:30-7:00? Even if the victims arrived home at 2:00am …where was the perp from 2-3? Why can’t they ask us for that?

I'd be curious to know if LE has evidence of the killer going into any of the vacant rooms? Particularly Kaylee's? If it's determined at autopsy that X and E were the first to be killed, there may be blood dripping from the knife, or this guy has blood on his glove or tracking it with his shoes. He goes upstairs, opens the door or walks into Kaylee's room sees she's not in there but maybe leaves a blood trail there, then goes into Maddie's room where he finds them two in bed. Or he goes straight into Maddie's room, then after he's done he goes back down the stairs knowing he's killed his target and leaves no trace of evidence in Kaylee's room. That would probably mean he knows the victims. He doesn't need to check Kaylee's room because she was in Maddie's room.

But then again, maybe he was watching the window from the back and saw that they went to bed together. Man, too many questions.

Nope. As I wrote before it’s simply the protocol of some police departments to never dispatch a call for a “dead person”. They use “unconscious“ until a police officer or the medical examiner pronounces the person dead.
I’ve been waiting for a verified LE to post while I’m on. So police officers can call time of death? Here in my state they cannot so I was wondering about it since the coroner didn’t get their until after 5pm.

My guess would be since E was found outside of a bedroom, it started in the room with the 2 girls. Likely E, and maybe X, heard something, went to investigate, encountered the killer in hallway and was killed there
Do we know for sure E was found outside the bedroom? I know there's been speculation, but do we know for sure? Source? If that is the case then your theory sounds pretty logical.

I can't bear to watch any of the vigil, reading about it here is breaking my heart into pieces. It feels as though we've come to know these four people and their families, even though of course we haven't, but they're so much more than all of the headlines and the attention. It feels so easy to imagine who they were as people, full of life. This whole thing is so devastating.

I think with what Kaylee's Dad has now shared, which has me in tears, a picture is starting to form to me, just MOO, that seems logical. If the killer was targeting E or X, I don't think he/she would have gone up to the 3rd floor, and if K and M were in bed, then it doesn't appear either of them got up to investigate any noises. It makes sense that K or M were the intended target and the first victims, and if they were in the same bed perhaps one woke up when the other was being attacked (how unthinkably horrible and terrifying) and did make some noise in alarm. The girls on the 1st floor would likely not have heard anything all the way up on the 3rd, but E and X very well could have done. The theory many people have of one of them getting out of bed and running into the killer who was maybe going downstairs to leave at that point adds up - the killer attacked them, waking up the person still in bed or going into the room to check if there was anyone else there who could be a witness, and attacking them too.

Horrifyingly, it's making me wonder if maybe they intended to kill one person only, and didn't bank on finding K and M in the same bed, or being intercepted by anyone else. It would also explain leaving the first floor girls unharmed - if they didn't see anything and weren't in the killer's path, then they were of no interest to him/her. If the intention was to kill one sole target, then whoever did this has to be panicking now at how out of hand it got and how much attention this is garnering. It would also lead me to think that if it was planned, but for one person rather than four, then evidence being left at the scene in the chaos seems likely. I really hope so anyway.

All very much MOO.

* On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence, it was unharmed, turned over to Animal Services, and later released to a responsible party

A thought just popped into my head.. curious to know if there was blood on the dogs paws or anywhere on the dog when it was found. Was the dog found in a common area of the house vs in the same room/ bed as K&M? I would be curious to know if the dog was in the room or more deliberately put or locked outside of the room they were found in..
My reply you quoted was in regard to the autopsies done 4 days after the murders on 11/17.
We all have wondered about those precise little Murphy questions . And many more.
Personally I lean towards him being crated. If he had blood on his paws or any other sign of trace evidence, I can’t imagine him being examined, tested, processed and released that same night. Nor can I envision anyone there to do Forensic testing. MOO

So if this is true about Maddie & Kaylee being in the same bed and Xana and Ethan were most likely in the Xana's bed then this might explain why there was talk of defensive wounds on some of the victims. If one person was being murdered wouldn't it make sense that the other person in the bed would wake up during the attack and try to fight the killer or killers off?
maybe the killer hates couples or people perceived as being
close to one another :( IMO

I'm not sure, it's certainly odd. My first thought is definitely that this info is new to the immediate family. Sister's insistent denial never ruled out the possibility of a stalker for me. At that age I didn't dare tell close family about this kind of thing because I didn't want them to worry or try to intervene. When you're newly independent you can feel a lot of pressure to appear to have everything under control. MOO but if there was a stalker Kaylee was worried about, she maybe thought the move would solve the problem and there's no use bringing it up to family.
A father’s idea of a stalker may differ from that of sister or friend.

My heart breaks that nobody was there for Xana. E’s mom didn’t mention her, no family was there, no Pi Phis spoke about her bright life. Nothing.

It seemed so cold whereas the other three were warmly remembered by those who loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper