ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to believe he is cleared to say all of this, but I really wish he would stop with the interviews.
I think he's desperate to fight for his daughter. Some people don't like to mourn alone, this may be a distraction for him and what helps him to wake up every day - by going out and fighting (for her).

He may crumble if he has time to himself for everything to hit him. Everyone manages so different. He doesn't want the headlines to stop, he wants to keep this out there. I feel so bad for him :(

Do you think he used the back up knife? I would think the initial knife would be damaged somenow at least after the second, or third stabbing.
My son collects knives. He does have a KA-BAR (USMC version) for use while camping or hiking. He collects knives when we are on vacation out West, usually those crafted by Navajos or other knife makers (that have antler grips, sinew wrapping, obsidian blades, Damascus steel blades, so high end knives for collectors). He says that the kabar was designed for the US military for use in WWII to kill Nazis. There is another knife made for special forces designed for the blade to pass through the rib cage without getting stuck.

I'm thinking that a KABAR would not break on bones, might get stuck. MOO. Ugh, hard to think about.

JMO Maybe the killer tried to make the crime scene look different than what really happened to throw LE off track. It worked but not for long. That’s possibly why the changes in their briefings.
Clever thought, possibly he quickly staged some red herrings at the scene.

Absolutely. you’ve hit that nail on the headSometimes it has nothing to do with the people inside. Just the fact that they are people is enough for the killer. They kill just to kill.
Exactly. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the people inside. Just the fact that there are people is good enough. Some killers kill just to kill.

"Foreigners" often get blamed when a case isn't solved or a body isn't identified. There are 24,000 residents in Moscow and then there is the university. It isn't a large town, but even in small towns with the "killer in plain site", the crime is often hard to solve.
I absolutely agree with you. I live in foreign countries for many years and know how hard is to copy without close famliy and friends. I am definitely not trying to point a finger at foreigners. I work as a freelance translator for police and well know that often foreigners could be blamed for things they have not done, it happened to me, too. I was only trying, obviously unsuccesfully, to point out to possible scenarious which may present bigger challenge to LE. Hope it is clear now.

I'm sensing even more momentum behind this case from media than ever before the spotlight is getting brighter new videos from mainstream media are popping up hourly now on YouTube. Everyone is waiting on a new development but LE isn't talking yet.

Don't forget, everybody has their own experiences and upbringing. He may have had grown up in a rough neighborhood or had something happen in the past that makes it necessary for him to arm himself.
Some of my dang golf buddies carry their pistols in their golf bags. I feel kind of protected with a golf club in my hand... unless someone was shooting at me.
I guess these days you never know.

I'm thinking that a KABAR would not break on bones, might get stuck. MOO. Ugh, hard to think about.
These high carbon steel knives are heat treated to extreme hardness. There is a company that infamously featured guys plunging their knives through car doors and hoods. The other knife manufacturers laughed at them saying "even a screwdriver or ice pick can pierce a car door, but you wouldn't want to carry that in the bush."

A target of opportunity.

But this is exactly why the public, especially the Moscow community I would think, wants to know if it was targeted or not. To me, targeted implies there was a very specific reason that person or group of people were victims, such that the killer likely would not go after someone else. If they were targeted just due to opportunity, that’s more like a random killing, so much scarier for the community. Surely LE knows this—are they just mincing words to for CYA?

I can't say anything about whether the grieving parents should or shouldn't do or say. I seriously cannot imagine the shock and trauma they are experiencing right now, combined with the fact that the suspect is still not in custody. I say allow them to grieve in whatever way gets them through each day, hour by hour.

I feel for LE and the pressure they're under, I do feel like they are making some progress behind the scenes (I'm sure some DNA testing and maybe subpoenas for internet, phones and vehicle telematics are starting to come in) and I hope we get an arrest soon, for the sake of the victims, the families and the community as a whole.

#Justice4EXKM

moo

Oh boy, maybe they should just stop making these "Clarifications".

Good grief

ETA: I just saw a reporter saying there was a Clarification to the Clarification, but she might have just reporting on the Clarification. My head is spinning...

This appears to still be the latest on their website:

"Detectives do not currently know if the residence or any occupants were specifically targeted but continue to investigate."

Last edited:
But this is exactly why the public, especially the Moscow community I would think, wants to know if it was targeted or not. To me, targeted implies there was a very specific reason that person or group of people were victims, such that the killer likely would not go after someone else. If they were targeted just due to opportunity, that’s more like a random killing, so much scarier for the community. Surely LE knows this—are they just mincing words to for CYA?
I thought about the target of opportunity thing, and that's what Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Gacy did. So no one is safe, if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanMichelle