DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Complete speculation to follow:

Ethan and Xana = EX
Ethan belonged to Sigma Chi = ΣΧ

Some serial killers or killers with completely warped reasoning can see symbols, symmetry, and signs in all sorts of things. Would the similarity of initials/symbols somehow have made Ethan and Xana the targets, "special" victims due to this symmetry or symbolism? It doesn't make sense to a regular mind, but I could see this type of "logic" filtering through a warped mind as a "reason" to target someone. As in, they're "marked" for sacrifice or something. If so, perhaps Ethan and Xana were the main targets with K and M being collateral damage. (I know LE has said perhaps nobody was specifically targeted.) Not saying it's someone from the frat or their social circles or even the university -- it could have been a completely random person who saw them on social media and the "symbol/sign" was like a red cape being waved, grabbing the killer's attention.

MOO.
Yes. The Zodiac killer, for instance.

Is MEAWW considered msm? Moscow has been in the news for a few months for a very different reason.

By recent, I mean in the past 25 years or so.

Back in the day, we just called them suspects.

Not all persons of interest are suspects. I see that there are some legitimate criticisms of its use, as it's not a well-defined legal term (unlike 'suspect'). So thanks, I learned something.

And you are definitely correct about it being used much more today than 25 years ago.

...And it’s a good example of how profiles sometimes do and don’t match and how random brutal crimes do sometimes occur to purely innocent victims and how sometimes the motive of these really awful crimes aren’t ever known unless the murderer is caught and explains it.
When you think about it, Danny Rolling's murder victims were partly just due to opportunity. Sleuthers want to find a connection and a prior motive to these killings, but like you say, sometimes they're random killings due to there just being an opportunity. Like this case I posted about before that happened in 1992.

PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE NEWS ARTICLE.

Two surviving roommates, who lived on the basement level, appear to have slept through the carnage that occurred on the second and third floors.

Police have not identified a suspect or recovered the fixed-blade knife they believe was used in the ambush.

In the 1992 case, Zabel and her roommates attended a Sigma Chi party – just as Kernodle and her boyfriend, Chapin, had the night before they were murdered.

[...]

"We always assumed it was a fraternity brother. We couldn't get out of the box of thinking it was someone we knew," she recalled.

Take Note-- Well, it wasn't a fraternity brother or anyone in their social circle. It was just a criminal taking advantage of a random opportunity of an open window. Sometimes it's not a stalker or a targeted crime, but just taking advantage of the opportunity of an unlocked door or window.

BBM & UBM

Been inside the house years ago and changes have been made since the (the article states)
To clarify, Leroy has been out of office for 35 years. SMH

My understanding is he’s been a private practice attorney in Boise since.

“Leroy said he was at the university during homecoming and was invited to the house, where his client's son was living at the time.”

Guess he could shed some light on at least one former tenant!!!

Former Idaho prosecutor who visited house where students were murdered reveals killer's possible path | Fox News

Last edited:
I get the feeling that LE is not offering enough info for people to make connections, perhaps they are holding too much back?..Moscow is a small town, people know each others business, yet, nobody is having an “aha, I see” moment. It’s like we are all in the dark fumbling.
And paint a target on someone’s back?

Are you in Moscow?

Some off-campus housing is definitely like that, as are many single residence homes. And some apartment complexes here will “lock off” a bedroom for a slight rent reduction if they don’t have a suitable unit available.

I have ~never~ seen code locks on bedroom doors here.

Source: former HQS Inspector
I am from Idaho, yes. Not Moscow. I didn't say anything about code locks. More along the lines of standard lock and keys on doors in shared student housing. That is pretty common.

When you think about it, Danny Rolling's murder victims were partly just due to opportunity. Sleuthers want to find a connection and a prior motive to these killings, but like you say, sometimes they're random killings due to there just being an opportunity. Like this case I posted about before that happened in 1992.

PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE NEWS ARTICLE.

Two surviving roommates, who lived on the basement level, appear to have slept through the carnage that occurred on the second and third floors.

Police have not identified a suspect or recovered the fixed-blade knife they believe was used in the ambush.

In the 1992 case, Zabel and her roommates attended a Sigma Chi party – just as Kernodle and her boyfriend, Chapin, had the night before they were murdered.

[...]

"We always assumed it was a fraternity brother. We couldn't get out of the box of thinking it was someone we knew," she recalled.

Take Note-- Well, it wasn't a fraternity brother or anyone in their social circle. It was just a criminal taking advantage of a random opportunity of an open window. Sometimes it's not a stalker or a targeted crime, but just taking advantage of the opportunity of an unlocked door or window.

BBM & UBM
That one took years to solve with DNA. Was a known rapist, not frat guy.

I am from Idaho, yes. Not Moscow. I didn't say anything about code locks. More along the lines of standard lock and keys on doors in shared student housing. That is pretty common.
Ahhh - you must have missed the hot story earlier today where a former tenant said every bedroom in the house had code lock doorknobs.

If that’s still the case, it’s a significant potential addition to the crime scene.

D'oh! I forgot to mention the confusion caused by the prosecutor, arguably the worst offender of all, given his position.
Also the mayor ("crime of passion"; no further danger to public), the coroner (not everyone, apparently, in bed when attacked), and LE in general (the flip-flops on "targeted" alone reminiscent of the death throes of a hooked trout).

D'oh! I forgot to mention the confusion caused by the prosecutor, arguably the worst offender of all, given his position.
ISP spox, who was brought in to do ONE dang job, takes top prize in my book so far. Moo

So Xana had a lock fixed on her bedroom door. Did someone try to get in her room on a previous occasion? Did she feel unsafe? Were there unknown intruders in the house unbeknownst to some of the residents? Why would someone be concerned about fixing a lock on a door-because someone was entering the house
I think in a common rooming house such as that one, where you've got partying and carousing going on most of the time, a locking bedroom door would be an absolute necessity, both for privacy and safety.

Moscow police released a statement that mentioned the crime scene will now have private security to free up patrol officers. In addition states that the 3am alcohol incident on the Sigma Chi lawn is unrelated to this crime. LE seems to be playing the hot and cold game with the public, in that they are only quelling the rumor mill scuttlebutt.
Frankly, I’ve lost confidence in their ability to accurately assess whether something IS, or is NOT a rumor in the first place… OR, whether something IS, or is NOT related and worth investigating further…

You can’t tell the public one thing for almost 3 weeks. Just one thing over and over — This was targeted… and then one day turn around and be like yeah, well we don’t really know. Then try to clean that up like 12 more times with even more confusing statements. SMH…

I just hope they get somebody soon. That is all I want at the end of the day, this sicko off the streets, and the chance for a semblance of closure for these families. To watch Kaylee’s dad come right out and reveal they decided not to have a funeral for their daughter because Kaylee’s mother was so horrified by the possibility of their daughter’s still unknown killer showing up to lurk around at K’s Celebration of Life service, that it was far to much for K’s mom to bear and so they decided to forgo it altogether. This poor family can’t even have a FUNERAL for their DAUGHTER. A daughter, who is clearly beloved by many. My heart just shatters for them because I literally can’t even imagine.

I watched a lot of the coverage today, a lot of the families speaking, a lot of the friends speaking, lots of tears, and overall, I think it’s rubbed off on me a little bit.

Praying for swift justice, and absolutely praying this individual, or individuals, is/are apprehended before this happens again to someone else, God forbid.

Nature vs nurture? Those boys are definitely not identical
Most certainly not, I can’t even conceptualize what the chances would even be for that to naturally occur… Off the charts for sure.

Four years ago, house has been remodeled and expanded to put in a couple more bedrooms.

"If two people were in the lower level it would not be necessary for the killer to go downstairs or to pass by their bedrooms when the crime was committed if they had accessed into and out of the upper floor."
I mean, weren’t we discussing that in the first thread?

Also, the 2018 renovations aren’t when the third floor was added - that addition was done sometime before I was in it in the early 2000s. Moo

Entirely my opinion but I suspect a knife similar to this being used..
1. The coroner said it was hard to refer to the wounds as puncture wounds because of how large the knife was
2. It was indicated the killer would be proud of the knife and may have paid money for it
3. Stabbing 4 people multiple times without your hand slipping down on the blade with the volume of blood, whether or not you have gloves on would be nearly impossible - In my opinion, the knife had to have a mechanism that kept it in place, e.g. a handle like most martial arts knives will have.
4. If the killer was skilled with the knife, a martial arts type knife might indicate they had experience in combat sports, thus they were able to kill all 4.
Hi- could you provide a source for that statement by Coroner? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member