ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the lights in the victim's house are not going on and off; they are going into the frame and out of frame. If you notice in the video - the light is on and as the body cam moves left the light goes off and then when he walked back to the right about 10 seconds later the light re appears. It's not being turned on / off IMO. The light is on, just out of frame and then back in frame.

Recently I was looking around my area to find a car detailing shop. I was shocked at the amount of ads that offered middle of the night detailing to clean up ANY substance (blood, chemicals etc). They will meet you anywhere no questions asked, but the fee is quite high. {shudder}
Sounds like a sting to me. Like those hitman for hire ads.

FWIW rbbm lengthy article.

''October 26, 2022​

A viral “challenge” has led to increases in thefts of Hyundai and Kia vehicles in recent weeks, and one suburban family was targeted in a crime that was captured on surveillance video.

In the footage, two men are seen attempting to steal a 2019 Hyundai Tucson SUV in suburban Harvey in September.

Fiorz Vohra says that his sister in law was looking out the window after hearing the commotion on the street when one of the men turned around and pointed a gun at her window.

“It was 20 feet away,” she said. “We were lucky that the man did not shoot through the window. We are very lucky.”

In a similar theft, Allison Moskus says that her 2016 Hyundai Elantra was stolen from the front of her building in Chicago's West Town.

“Everyone I know who has Hyundai’s and Kia’s have been like ‘look out, because I don’t want anybody else to end up in my situation,’” she said. “The steering wheel column was totally ripped apart, and there wasn’t anywhere for me to put my keys when I got to the tow yard where they brought it.”

''The thefts are part of a growing trend of criminals targeting Hyundai’s manufactured between 2013 and 2021, and Kia’s manufactured between 2011 and 2021, according to NBC 5 Responds.''
A security flaw, exposed and circulated on social media platforms like TikTok, allows thieves to start and steal cars without a key. The vehicles involved do not have a “standard immobilizer” installed, allowing thieves to easily gain access to the steering column and start the car using electronics''

I expect LE have footage of the car from a doorbell camera or something similar, the bodycam footage is nowhere near clear enough to be so specific on the model of car, let alone it's exact year. I also don't think they would be so specific if going off a witness account of a vehicle. I've read the differences between the 2011-13 make and since then, they seem to be small changes but presumably enough to be identified by an expert on the matter. I'd wager that LE have been aware of this car since near the start of the investigation, the call for any possible footage from surrounding roads came early into the case and was probably an effort to determine where the car went after that. There couldn't have been that many Hyundai Elantra's driving the roads in the early hours of the morning.

Were the two girls and their families' lives threatened if they called police?
I do not know but if you think about how much blood was on the killer, it would be on the inside the doorway, steps/walkway leaving the dorm house, so far the only blood we have saw in any photos, is running down the foundation of the dorm house, so does this say the killer cleaned up and changed clothes before they left, (To Big Of Risk) my opinion only?
I have ask this question already but the girl named Kaylee was moving to Texas, already had a job and just bought a new car and was there to visit one of the other girls, that explains why the two girls was in bed together, so what do we know about the relationship between the two girls and their boyfriends? The 4 victims relationships with each other and over all dorm houses relationships with to getting along with each other?
When the LE founds this out they will know a lot more to this story, JMO
Kaylees mother did an interview a few day ago say that LE took t

Sandy007 posted:

If LE knows where the car is now, as you suggest, they surely know who is the owner.

If the car was reported stolen and was abandoned after the killings, and the owner has strong alibi like been abroad for some period of time before the killings, that is something else.

Back in 2012 when Sierra Lamar went missing on the way to her school bus stop in Morgan Hill CA, LE actually had a suspect car very early in the case but did not mention it to the public for nearly two months.

Sheriff’s investigators have the car allegedly used to kidnap Sierra LaMar in their custody, and released photos of the red four-door sedan shot by area surveillance cameras.

“Investigators are asking the public to report any sightings of this vehicle and/or occupants during the time surrounding Sierra’s disappearance,” Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Sgt. Jose Cardoza wrote in a press release.

Damn yall are going fast, I stopped reading at 2am last night (uk time) and yall are already a whole thread ahead. I tried catching up and got to when people started posting about LE asking for the white car but I still had 30 pages to go. Has there been anything else since then news wise?

Sandy007 posted:

Back in 2012 when Sierra Lamar went missing on the way to her school bus stop in Morgan Hill CA, LE actually had a suspect car very early in the case but did not mention it to the public for nearly two months.

Sheriff’s investigators have the car allegedly used to kidnap Sierra LaMar in their custody, and released photos of the red four-door sedan shot by area surveillance cameras.

“Investigators are asking the public to report any sightings of this vehicle and/or occupants during the time surrounding Sierra’s disappearance,” Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Sgt. Jose Cardoza wrote in a press release.
A bit different in that they did not ask for the owner in that case. Just sightings and/or occupants.

rbbm
''As the investigation into the murders of four University of Idaho students enters its fourth week, law enforcement is likely now trying to identify the killer through investigative genetic genealogy, a novel field that combines cutting-edge DNA analysis with traditional genealogical research.

Authorities collected 113 pieces of physical evidence at the scene for testing by Idaho State Police Forensic Services, which have been "working 24/7 in the lab" to try to get results as quickly as possible.

Investigators typically will first compare unknown DNA samples from the crime scene to the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a database that contains genetic samples of known offenders, using traditional STR DNA analysis.''

"It's pretty quick to compare against CODIS. Had they gotten a match, I think they probably would have arrested by now, so I think we can assume that they are at least looking at using investigative genetic genealogy," CeCe Moore, the chief genetic genealogist at Parabon NanoLabs, told Fox News Digital.
If the traditional STR DNA analysis doesn't come up with a match in CODIS, then investigators can analyze more than half a million DNA single nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs, to identify possible distant relatives of the unknown suspect.

Genetic genealogists can then reverse engineer the unknown person's family tree using traditional genealogy and narrow it down to a potential suspect.

Once law enforcement has identified a suspect using genetic genealogy, it will generally try to secretly obtain a fresh DNA sample to confirm a lead. ''

What's interesting about this story is that it doesn't cite a source within LE and uses words like "likely" or "generally."

However, it is my belief that they were able to identify some part of the killer's DNA by now (the methods for analyzing touch DNA continue to advance).

If that's true, then a lot of what LE has said and done (or not said and done) is explicable to me. Part of me is not hopeful about them having found specific stranger DNA in that house, but after I read recent (2022) articles on procedures for collecting and analyzing touch DNA, I was a bit more optimistic. A person's shoes, for example, are going to have a lot of that person's DNA on them, and if the killer left bloody shoeprints, that would be an excellent source for finding his DNA. And if not bloody footprints, then stairs themselves should have been swabbed for DNA (it's easy to exclude LE and roommate DNA from the sample).

If there was DNA on the stairs (from the perp), it didn't just go away and expert collectors could have come in later and done a lot of work.

That was tacked on at the end. Everything else referenced driver and occupants. My guess is the car was stolen, but police don't want to give that away.
Is LE thinking the car is stolen because the killer switched the license plates? Sorry if this was discussed - I'm way behind, as usual.

Although it would be helpful if the white car seen leaving the house were the killer's car, if that were the case, it suggests that some of the information we have previously received is incorrect.

Current information has both girls upstairs call the ex-BF just before 3. The coroner stated that all victims were likely asleep in beds. A car is exiting the scene just after three. That is a lot to have happened in a short period of time. Did K and M immediately fall asleep after the calls?

The times for the calls came from K's sister. K and M apparently both tried to call. To get accurate times for both would require access to both phones, unless the source of the times was the ex-BF's phone. Could the times on his phone be incorrect? I use Spectrum Cellular, and occasionally it can take a long time for a text to arrive. It is also possible that the white car driver was present, there was some kind of argument, and white car driver left and returned later with a knife. This is not likely IMHO since an impulsive person like that would likely already be in custody.

Another possibility is that the care seen was a guest who left sometime before the attack. My issue with that is that such a group most likely would have come forward and proffered an alibi to avoid issues later.

To be honest, the timeline given by LE has always seemed off to me. The two surviving roommates go out independently but are listed as returning at the same time. The two pairs who were killed also seem to be out independently, but both return at almost the same time.

Meanwhile in Moscow, Idaho...

People on campus are still ending up unconscious. And presumably "no report" means no parent notification, frat probation, school notification. Yes, I am assuming it is a drinking or drug-related "unconscious" because of the time.

22-M10626 Unconscious Person

Incident Address: ELM ST; Phi Delta

MOSCOW ID 83843

Disposition:

Time Reported: 00:43

Cad Comments:

Law, Fire and EMS responded. Patient transported to Gritman. No report.

Interestingly, can anyone link for me the campus crime log tally or violations that show alcohol violations?

If you are a reporter reading here, message me for a list of just exactly how many "unconscious" people have been reported on campus to LE w/ "no report" status. Mindboggling.

Are all these people being charged with something? Is it a crime to be unconscious or very drunk? I don't think it is, if one isn't driving or operating machinery or being disorderly. If it's not a crime, then there would be no Clery Act requirement for the University to put this information up in their crime tallies.

I posted a link to the Clery Act page of U of I a couple of days ago, but one can find it on their own by going to the U of I Webpage, and clicking on the "About" tab, IIRC and it's there somewhere. I'll try and find it again when I have a chance.

Are you aware that you can find the owner of a vehicle w/ a VIN number? We can, and LE can. Unless they found a vehicle, without a tag and a vin THEY DO NOT KNOW THE OWNER.

But most importantly, they said they want to know if you own that vehicle so therefore I would believe they do not know the owner.

MOO

It is not unusual for car thieves to pry off VIN plates from junked cars and apply them to stolen cars. I believe this is going to turn out to be a stolen car. LE may have it and not know who owned it.

FWIW rbbm lengthy article.

''October 26, 2022​

A viral “challenge” has led to increases in thefts of Hyundai and Kia vehicles in recent weeks, and one suburban family was targeted in a crime that was captured on surveillance video.

In the footage, two men are seen attempting to steal a 2019 Hyundai Tucson SUV in suburban Harvey in September.

Fiorz Vohra says that his sister in law was looking out the window after hearing the commotion on the street when one of the men turned around and pointed a gun at her window.

“It was 20 feet away,” she said. “We were lucky that the man did not shoot through the window. We are very lucky.”

In a similar theft, Allison Moskus says that her 2016 Hyundai Elantra was stolen from the front of her building in Chicago's West Town.

“Everyone I know who has Hyundai’s and Kia’s have been like ‘look out, because I don’t want anybody else to end up in my situation,’” she said. “The steering wheel column was totally ripped apart, and there wasn’t anywhere for me to put my keys when I got to the tow yard where they brought it.”

''The thefts are part of a growing trend of criminals targeting Hyundai’s manufactured between 2013 and 2021, and Kia’s manufactured between 2011 and 2021, according to NBC 5 Responds.''
A security flaw, exposed and circulated on social media platforms like TikTok, allows thieves to start and steal cars without a key. The vehicles involved do not have a “standard immobilizer” installed, allowing thieves to easily gain access to the steering column and start the car using electronics''
Does the app unlock the doors first, or does the robber still have to gain access somehow before applying the app to the steering column where the ignition usually is?

Although it would be helpful if the white car seen leaving the house were the killer's car, if that were the case, it suggests that some of the information we have previously received is incorrect.

Current information has both girls upstairs call the ex-BF just before 3. The coroner stated that all victims were likely asleep in beds. A car is exiting the scene just after three. That is a lot to have happened in a short period of time. Did K and M immediately fall asleep after the calls?

The times for the calls came from K's sister. K and M apparently both tried to call. To get accurate times for both would require access to both phones, unless the source of the times was the ex-BF's phone. Could the times on his phone be incorrect? I use Spectrum Cellular, and occasionally it can take a long time for a text to arrive. It is also possible that the white car driver was present, there was some kind of argument, and white car driver left and returned later with a knife. This is not likely IMHO since an impulsive person like that would likely already be in custody.

Another possibility is that the care seen was a guest who left sometime before the attack. My issue with that is that such a group most likely would have come forward and proffered an alibi to avoid issues later.

To be honest, the timeline given by LE has always seemed off to me. The two surviving roommates go out independently but are listed as returning at the same time. The two pairs who were killed also seem to be out independently, but both return at almost the same time.
Unless someone was getting into position to watch when the lights went off in the house and to wait a sufficient time after that to enter.

Recently I was looking around my area to find a car detailing shop. I was shocked at the amount of ads that offered middle of the night detailing to clean up ANY substance (blood, chemicals etc). They will meet you anywhere no questions asked, but the fee is quite high. {shudder}

Needless to say, I went with a brick and mortar body shop.

The “we’ll come to you!” mobile car-detailing businesses are a godsend when your kid projectile-vomits and you can’t leave the house or hospital.

What's interesting about this story is that it doesn't cite a source within LE and uses words like "likely" or "generally."

However, it is my belief that they were able to identify some part of the killer's DNA by now (the methods for analyzing touch DNA continue to advance).

If that's true, then a lot of what LE has said and done (or not said and done) is explicable to me. Part of me is not hopeful about them having found specific stranger DNA in that house, but after I read recent (2022) articles on procedures for collecting and analyzing touch DNA, I was a bit more optimistic. A person's shoes, for example, are going to have a lot of that person's DNA on them, and if the killer left bloody shoeprints, that would be an excellent source for finding his DNA. And if not bloody footprints, then stairs themselves should have been swabbed for DNA (it's easy to exclude LE and roommate DNA from the sample).

If there was DNA on the stairs (from the perp), it didn't just go away and expert collectors could have come in later and done a lot of work.
LE would also have an idea of shoe size, which will help them - male or female perp.

If the perp was wearing booties, which I tend to believe he was since as far as we know, blood wasn't found outside of the house, does that lessen the chances of finding DNA from shoes? He was either wearing booties which he removed before leaving the house, or he changed shoes before leaving. < MOO

IMO the lights in the victim's house are not going on and off; they are going into the frame and out of frame. If you notice in the video - the light is on and as the body cam moves left the light goes off and then when he walked back to the right about 10 seconds later the light re appears. It's not being turned on / off IMO. The light is on, just out of frame and then back in frame.
When you are referring to this video, did you notice that the video is repeated at around 1:03?
So what you are seeing is the beginning again.
But perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryopanda