ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Depends on what you mean by "very few." It's way higher in the US than in some places.

I agree with you though - if LE thought it was stolen, they'd be dealing with this differently.

I believe someone (I believe it to be LE/Coroner) mentioned that X had defensive wounds.

As to other defensive wounds, I think the info comes from parents, not LE/Coroner directly.

I don't have time to go back to thread 20 or where ever it was. Make the number whatever you want. Several people have said 600,000 total Elantras from 2011-2013, of which about 10% were white. Others have posted that their research says it's 3% were white (smaller number).

Let's just go with 40% white (haven't seen that before - CNBC must have its own sources, this is not a car manufacturer's data or data from the US ports who track these thigs).

So of the 240,000 white Elantras - how many are in Idaho or adjacent states? Any estimate? Surely 10% are out of commission, so...what percent of 220,000 Elantras are in Idaho?

If you want it to be 22,000 it's still a lot - which was my point. Not few. Many to track down. Some won't be where people think. Estimates of non-registered cars in the region range from 5-12% and the number may be increasing. So how many registered Elantras are we talking about someone tracking down here? 10,000 instead of my 6,000? I was trying to be optimistic.
You had stated 6,000 white Elantras nationwide, but maybe you meant statewide. Statewide it would probably be far fewer than 6,000—more like 900. (Idaho isn't a very populous state; only about 0.4% of U.S. residents call Idaho home; 0.004 X 220,000 = 880.)

BBM. Did LE ask them to not speak to the press? I’ve heard the owner of the bar has chosen to only deal with LE (& not speak to the press) and has asked his employees to do the same. A patron who was there that night & also at the food truck has spoken out on SM (I think he has also been quoted in MSM.)

MOO
A poster here on this discussion board informed me that the owner refused to speak to the press. No, I don't have any info about whether LE specifically asked the employees to keep quiet so I hope I didn't mislead you in any way. Thanks for the info on the person who had been at the bar and the food truck. I don't pay much attention to SM so I had no idea anyone had spoken out about the girls that night.

Respectfully snipped for brevity

Elliot Rodger announced his intentions to the world and knew how it would end. He was ID'd quickly and also ended it quickly.

These are all serial killers, but you are correct in that we have no announcement that it was only one killer. In fact, the chief - perhaps in a slip - said "we would like to talk to these people" in the car, or something to that effect. So I should perhaps modify my assertion to "if these killings were perpetrated by one killer, it was almost certainly a serial killer".

The killings in this case aren't similar to those in terms of profile.

I'm certainly not trying to box myself into an immovable opinion, and I am certainly open to alternatives, but the ones I stated in my earlier post that these killings likely aren't, I still contend. Indeed, with what we know thus far, it is more likely that a serial killer committed this type of crime than an aggrieved incel, ticked off ex-boyfriend, or some random kid who graphically poses with Daddy's deer kills.

The scope as in the sweeping impact.

The magnitude as in the monstrosity.

I'm not sure that announcing intentions makes a huge difference in the psychological structure of the perp. Both are mass murderers, both aimed at college students, both were aimed on by perceived slights from other college students.

Eliot wrote things before he murdered - but it's not as if he went on the radio and announced his intentions. He uploaded a video before his rampage - but it wasn't widely known or even viewed before his rampage. I can think of many minor variations on that theme.

I'm not sure what you mean by "profile" at this point in time. At this point in time, I would think the profiles are in a cluster, with some outliers and branching diagrams. Shared traits, but no specific person has emerged.

Elliot Rodgers, I supposed, was a serial killer rather than a spree killer, but I prefer the term (Justice Department) of mass murderer. In one sweeping incident, he killed more than 3 people and did not run off and hide and then kill others (serial killer).

However, I know of no known academic literature on how to plainly differentiate between mass murderers and serial killers. Do you? I am honestly interested.

I think another type of perp is far more likely than a serial killer OR an incel. But I can't discuss it right now, as there are no MSM articles to support it.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

This is the thing that is fascinating to me. They don't have a suspect so they claim, yet they are warning students this weekend to stay in groups because the Moscow PD thinks the killer might strike again this weekend. This whole case is weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think by now they could have ID'ed the driver of the car assuming they have the full license plate number not partial. Too bad the USA doesn't have a streamlined national database.
This reminds me of the car sought out after Missy Bever's homicide case in a church. The suspect wore a fake SWAT team jacket and a car in the business next door had a car sitting in wait. They never found the car or driver.
Yes. Yes. I believe that car was a white or silver Nissan Altima.

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. So much emphasis has been placed on Kaylee as the target. But according to her mother's statements, she was back and forth about returning to visit that weekend. It was somewhat last minute. So how many people even knew she was back in the area?.
She was not in her room. The claim that her death was more brutal is from her father. He's the one who has pushed the idea Kaylee was the target.
What if it was actually Maddie? That makes more sense.
Why did Kaylee have the dog? She's only back for the weekend. It was her dog and her ex boyfriend's dog right? So..where has this dog been prior to that night? Living at home with Kaylee? At the BF? Did she see her ex that weekend?
The idea that a serial killer would do this seems off to me because it takes time to kill that many people by stabbing them. If it's a party house he doesn't know the level of activity at any given time. Most serial killers don't kill in groups...there have been exceptions.
I am leaning towards the killer was known to either Maddie nor Kaylee. Ethan and his GF were in the wrong place and came out of their rooms after the murders upstairs and we're killed. Just my theory.

Interview (9/20) with K's parents...

Dad - One of her messages, one of her last messages - she reached out to Jack and said 'Jack, get back to me' and then she goes 'we share a dog together', which they did, she's like 'you need to reach out to me', so..

Mom - 'Please come over'. She was wanting Jack to come over there.

I was responding to parents viewing an account record that only the event of a txt would show.

Having access to the phone later is a different condition where the msg details are viewable.

Speaking of which, why are LE so convinced this is the work of only one person when it could be two or more? Bearing in mind the number of victims, surely one logical conclusion could be there is more than one perpetrator.
IMO LE have been able to verify through the autopsies that all 4 were killed with the exact same weapon, so unless both killers carried identical weapons it’s most likely 1 killer.

You had stated 6,000 white Elantras nationwide, but maybe you meant statewide. Statewide it would probably be far fewer than 6,000—more like 900. (Idaho isn't a very populous state; only about 0.4% of U.S. residents call Idaho home; 0.004 X 220,000 = 880.)
There other parameters you can do on a database query.

Gender, Age etc

Gender cuts the query in half, at least

Age cuts the query even further

If the perpetrator has used someone elses vehicle...

AIMOO

There other parameters you can do on a database query.

Gender, Age etc

Gender cuts the query in half, at least

Age cuts the query even further

Combine university parkinhg datasets to eliminate POIs even further

If the perpetrator has used someone elses vehicle...

AIMOO

Last edited:
This is the thing that is fascinating to me. They don't have a suspect so they claim, yet they are warning students this weekend to stay in groups because the Moscow PD thinks the killer might strike again this weekend. This whole case is weird.
yeah... he did not kill anyone alone
how big a group would be safe?

<modsnip: quoted post removed>
A question for the group about the Hyundai.

Would LE appeal to the public if they thought this car was connected to the person(s) who committed this crime? To me, that seems odd.
could be a possible witness too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dad - One of her messages, one of her last messages - she reached out to Jack and said 'Jack, get back to me' and then she goes 'we share a dog together', which they did, she's like 'you need to reach out to me', so..

Mom - 'Please come over'. She was wanting Jack to come over there.

I keep seeing this and people say that the message was from a few days earlier, but it sounds like it was that night so I am officially confused. JMO

Do you think KG had the dog with her to permanently return it to her ex. MOO
I personally interpreted it more as a "Hey we have a somewhat permanent co-dog-parenting relationship even if we're no longer an item, so you can't just ignore me" rather than that, but it's hard to know without knowing more about their arrangement about the dog. However, I'm assuming her impending move to Texas was going to create some issues with any shared ownership of the dog, presuming he was staying in the NW. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot