ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also possible that they have come forward already. I don't know how long it would take to corroborate their story if it came in with thousands of other tips. Would think anyone claiming to be the occupant(s) would be fast tracked for confirmation, but you never know. For that reason I think it's unlikely, but it's plausible enough not to jump to conclusions.
I think that would either mean they’ve come forward and police just aren’t letting us know they’ve now found amd talked with the Hyundai people, or they came forth before the Hyundai announcement and just haven’t told police basically “oh that was us in that car, we already talked to you.” Of the two, the first seems more likely I suppose.

EDIT: I think you mean they self identified and the police aren’t sure if it’s them or not, I would agree that seems possible, particularly with the limited communication.

I’m curious exactly how they identified the year make and model of the car. If they don’t have a photo, (and in reading prior posts it sounds like they don’t), one might assume they’re basing the description on an eyewitness report. If so, it’s hard to imagine an eyewitness nailing a ten year old white Hyundai in the darkest hours of the night precisely unless they already knew the car. So it seems to me quite possible that it’s a different make, model, and even color of vehicle entirely. All just my own speculation and observation, but I’m thinking the same thing I am about the knife, that they’re being way more specific than their actual information.

Last edited:
I’ve completely changed my opinion on this case.

Initially I thought this would be someone known to the victims who had frequented the house and had a grievance with them.

Now I think it’s more likely to be a stranger or relative stranger. Perhaps they’d followed the girls online.

I don’t believe the killer necessarily knew the precise layout of the house.

I don’t think it was a “normal” person who flew into a rage. I think it’s someone with a desire to kill. What fuels that desire, I don’t know yet.

I believe the police said he was sloppy to enrage the killer.

I think the killer had no fear of being caught or anything going wrong because they have an inflated sense of self. Probably someone who has gotten away with things in the past.
Yes.Arrogant and possibly a wee bit narcissistic

Knowing the facts will give many of us a sense of comfort that this couldn't happen to us or our kids (in my case, I'm old enough to be their great-great grandmother had our family been early breeders) and that the upended world has at least a modicum of justice. We want to think we're safe because we don't play loud music or haven't had too many loud parties or mistakenly enraged someone dangerously unhinged or forgot to lock the door. Right now this is like an Everyman Crime; it happened to four kids who (from what we know) should've been safe and headed for happy and successful futures. They don't appear to be courting violence or hanging out out with psychopaths. Instead they are victims of an incomprehensible and brutal series of homicides. The more we know, the more removed we hope to feel.

I understand and can sympathize. But our desire to know to feel more removed doesn't justify them having to tell us and risk jeopardizing their case or throwing innocent people into the limelight which was my point.

MOO.

He almost certainly believes he will never get caught and probably still has his precious knife and possibly the car LE is seeking if it was in fact his.
MOO

Prosecutor "We have the car"

Defence "There are 600000 Elantras in the country"

Prosecutor "We have the knife"

Defence "There are 11 million of these knives made"

What is the most mass produced sedan in the USA?

Imoo

They have a perpetrator enter a house and stab four persons with a knife to death. Thats not a random shooting or crime of passion

We were given the data on the number of white Elantras.

I wonder if police have worked through the datasets of stolen white Elantras, from the inner perimeter out?

The same could be said of recently transferred vehicles. Automated plate readers have diminished stolen plates etc.

That would be some interesting modelling

What is a 2011 Elantra worth in the US? Its a 10 year old car AIMOO

Ok, so a 2013 Elantra is about $9000 USD
It’s certainly not a shooting if someone is getting stabbed. Hello.

BTK killed two adults and two kids on his first go. Danny Rolling killed 5 students in his first go (and more over the next few days).
<<I snipped for reply>>

Danny Rolling killed all 5 over a period of 3 days. He did 2, then day later he did 1, then 2 days after that he killed the last 2.

Not the first time I've seen someone mention this, and I have to ask... does this actually happen? I have some decent chef's knives, and I can't imagine the tips breaking off under any scenario.
I've broken the tips off of many knives. If you sharpen one frequently, the tips become weak. It the tip gets wedged between two hard spots and is twisted a bit or wobbled from side to side, the tip can break off. Even a chunk of the blade can break off. New knives or knives that are never used are more hardy. Older knives, especially ones used a lot are less hardy.

Little known observation. A lot of the people I know who use and carry knives on a regular basis sharpen after every use. I know I do.

I have another question. What about these incessant stories, basically, in every case, about LE visiting local stores to ask it anyone bought knives, etc. I am thinking - what is the best place to shop for anything, local stores or Amazon with its huge bulk of sales?
Many serial killers are also burglars. Many start out that way, sort of like a training ground. DeAngelo, before he became the Golden State Killer or the East Area Rapist, was the Visalia Ransacker - a burglar.

It is possible, perhaps even likely, this knife was stolen.

Personally still going with someone who felt slighted in the hours or days leading up to it, went after one individual, and the rest unfolded as it did. I personally don’t think it’s nearly as much of a skilled feat as others seem to, nor necessarily requiring as much training and forethought as has been suggested. Obviously just my own wild guess.

In my lowly, unlearned opinion, whatever it was, it should have been photographed where it was found, bagged, tagged (or vice versa) and put into the must be tested pile of potential evidence.
Maybe it did get put into evidence, we have no way of knowing. The footage ended as they put the object back on the ground and walked to their vehicle. Maybe they were getting a camera or an evidence bag. At least I sure hope they were.

Depends on what you mean by "very few." It's way higher in the US than in some places.

I agree with you though - if LE thought it was stolen, they'd be dealing with this differently.

I believe someone (I believe it to be LE/Coroner) mentioned that X had defensive wounds.

As to other defensive wounds, I think the info comes from parents, not LE/Coroner directly.

I don't have time to go back to thread 20 or where ever it was. Make the number whatever you want. Several people have said 600,000 total Elantras from 2011-2013, of which about 10% were white. Others have posted that their research says it's 3% were white (smaller number).

Let's just go with 40% white (haven't seen that before - CNBC must have its own sources, this is not a car manufacturer's data or data from the US ports who track these thigs).

So of the 240,000 white Elantras - how many are in Idaho or adjacent states? Any estimate? Surely 10% are out of commission, so...what percent of 220,000 Elantras are in Idaho?

If you want it to be 22,000 it's still a lot - which was my point. Not few. Many to track down. Some won't be where people think. Estimates of non-registered cars in the region range from 5-12% and the number may be increasing. So how many registered Elantras are we talking about someone tracking down here? 10,000 instead of my 6,000? I was trying to be optimistic.
40% white cars is much higher than other published sources for overall data, but perhaps Hyundai or Elantras were atypical in how many white cars were sold. The national average in 2011-13 and currently is 25% white cars.

3% of the population lives in Idaho and Washington, so that gets you down to the 5000-7200 white Elantra range (depending on the percentage of white cars out there) for Idaho and Washington. This is how many that were sold in the US eight-to-ten years ago. Not all of them are on the road. It's a lot of cars, but not that many once you use registration and biographical data to focus in on specific criteria (geographical address, age, etc ...). It's something that can be done in a reasonable amount of time (a month, say). JMO

A person on the periphery, yet also one whose friendship or services were, on occasion, desired.

Thinking out loud.
Yes. An acquaintance.
Don't we know from the LE bodycam footage (from the 3am drunk student reporting in the field across the street) that KG/MM turned their lights off at 3am (as one sees their lights turning off in the video)? Since this is after the time of the phone calls, it suggests that there was no intruder/noises until after 3am, and that the phone calls were the usual crazy late night phone calling behavior that it is said that KG did engage in.
it’s hard to tell, because when I watched that video, I didn’t see any lights go out. I don’t think that video was very helpful as a method of correlation IMO

I keep seeing this and people say that the message was from a few days earlier, but it sounds like it was that night so I am officially confused. JMO
Yeah, it has always been to my understanding that the message was from the night of the murder.

I linked the interview when K's dad said that. Did you see that?

Don't we know from the LE bodycam footage (from the 3am drunk student reporting in the field across the street) that KG/MM turned their lights off at 3am (as one sees their lights turning off in the video)? Since this is after the time of the phone calls, it suggests that there was no intruder/noises until after 3am, and that the phone calls were the usual crazy late night phone calling behavior that it is said that KG did engage in.
Hence LEs window 0300-0600

I don’t get it at all. After brutally butchering two people, he goes and finds two more. It looks like he came in the glass slider doors and did quite a bit of back and forth walking in the house.
Cold blooded, deliberate, focused.

I think that if it was targeted, he needed only one person, and the rest were killed to complicate matters, go guess who was targeted, and why. Leaving someone alive makes it more complex as it raises additional questions.

Of course, if the was just a thrill killer, the reason is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321