ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kind of curious about what peoples thoughts are regarding the murder, or murders in this case.

1. Do you believe they are local and are still in the area? (Considering college students as locals)
2. Local but no longer in the area?
3. Transient (Passing thru)?
4. From out of town and came to Moscow for this specific purpose?
1 or 2…just a gut reaction. MOO

In the timeframe between 2:30-3:00 AM KG attempted to call J six times. Then M called him three times, and just minutes before 3:00 K tried one final time. This info was released by KG's family; they were able to determine activity on K's phone from checking online for their usage. But how did they know what happened with M's phone? Do we know?
Ahhh, this is a very good point. We don't know how the family found this out. They could have found out from LE because LE offers that information, or K's ex-boyfriend, JD, could have told K's family that M also tried to call him.

Not to sure about the USA. But in Britain we have multiple cameras that detect all cars and number plates in many areas (due to evasion of road tax and not having an MOT) Perhaps the car that the LE are seeking is on camera ?
Certainly local police, state police and the FBI have been checking any and all cameras, digital evidence etc. That is pretty standard for law enforcement these days.

I posted that article yesterday. which part are you asking about the being true part? sorry, not being snarky, just don't understand the specific ?
But for the thousands you spend to buy a car, the data it produces doesn’t belong to you. My Chevy’s dashboard didn’t say what the car was recording. It wasn’t in the owner’s manual. There was no way to download it.

True, but FBI would go to the owner(previous) on file and work to find the buyer. All states require a title to obtain vehicle tags. Each time a vehicle is sold/transferred a new title is issued by the state division of motor vehicle before tags can be purchased.

So....the vehicle could be stolen, purchased for cash but never retitled, what is known as a scrapped vehicle, altered dealer/ state/ stolen tags.

LE has exhausted all national resources, interviews, beat the brushes and is now crowdsourcing looking for "the person/s in the vehicle.

I've sold many used vehicles to private individuals. I always go to the Division of Motor Vehicles with the buyer to transfer the title. In my state you can "sign over the title", by completing a small section on the back of the title. This is not a guarantee the new owner will transfer the title. They could use stolen or tags, another vehicle, have an accident and I might be on the hook for damages, if the title was not transferred. It also relieves the property tax burden. I want to insure my name is off the title, the tags are cancelled and no further obligation for the vehicle.

All my humble opinion
Not necessarily true. My state doesn't title vehicles over 15 years old. A hand written bill of sale on a scrap of paper is all that's needed to get plates.

I posted that article yesterday. which part are you asking about the being true part? sorry, not being snarky, just don't understand the specific ?
I met Mason at an empty warehouse, where he began by explaining one important bit of car anatomy. Modern vehicles don’t just have one computer. There are multiple, interconnected brains that can generate up to 25 gigabytes of data per hour from sensors all over the car. Even with Mason’s gear, we could only access some of these systems.

So if it is an SK have there been other similar killings close by? or in a regional area?
Are any patterns emerging?
What are the killer's comfort zones?
If this was the killer's first killing then it will be hard to see a pattern, but killing four for the first time?

Geographic profiling​

Either close by. Or, alternatively, if he kills where/when he travels, which is not impossible, then, search for similar MO and think what circumstance could connect the places. I think that potentially, Alaska and Florida can be very much connected if you look at the yearly lists of people who migrated from one place to another, or think of professions that would allow easy travels (expositions, lecturers, seasonal works, ship repairmen).

(Then, of course, visiting relatives, but it is very complex).

It was worth the trouble when Mason showed me my data. There on a map was the precise location where I’d driven to take apart the Chevy. There were my other destinations, like the hardware store I’d stopped at to buy some tape.

Full disclosure.
I live next to a large apartment complex, where there are frequently people that pull up, sit in their cars, and play some kind of "music" that is basically just all bass. Heavily amplified bass. It is so loud it literally shakes my entire house.

I must admit that there have been times, at around 3am, when this shaking has awakened me quite rudely, and I have momentarily thought "I'm gonna kill them!!!"
But I'm not a psychopath.

I am also not a psychopath but have had similar experience and let's just say the fact I stayed within the right side of the law and outside of a mental hospital is a miracle. Noise intrusion into ones home is the absolute worst, most especially when it's in breach of regulation and yet one can't get any authority to act - start to feel very alone and very emotionally volatile as if taking the law into ones own hands could be the only solution. Thankfully I moved house which cost me dearly but not as dearly as losing the plot and waking up locked up.

Even without a VIN or a license plate? How does that look? How does LE figure it out?

Obviously, we're in the middle of your last option (crowd-sourcing). So far, nothing? Or did they get something and are mum? That seems irresponsible for LE, since Elantra owners everywhere are being stared at, mocked, or turned into tip lines. Clogging up tip lines is not good LE practice, so I don't think they've found it. Of course, they had an additional 1000 tips last time I checked (compared to two days ago).

What technology do you propose they use to find this car, exactly? 2011-2013 Elantras had no GPS, IIRC. If the plate was removed or obscured, what would they use?

We would be waiting for neighbors to remember or notice that someone has an Elantra (if it's not in a reservoir) or that someone had an Elantra and now doesn't. I, for one, have very little memory of all the various cars right around me. I'd notice if the three nearest neighbors no longer had one of their main cars, but two of them buy and sell cars as part of their overall way of making a living, so every few months, a new car is in someone's drive - I pay only attention to the ones they've had longterm.

Almost anyone can buy a camera-blocking screen for their license plate too - which is illegal many places, but there's little enforcement.

If the car did in fact drive past cameras elsewhere than on Taylor Rd/King/Queen Road, you'd think they'd tell us that as part of the request. If they have the license plate already, why are they asking us to find a car without that info? They're actually asking us to **remember** that car, but it has now shaded over into finding the car, as far as I can tell.
A Red Herring??
Is it possible the white car revelation is only a very small part of the investigation yet it has caused the "sleuths" to focus on something rather than the performance of LE. The white car search has now "united" LE with the sleuths in looking for something that can possibly help solve the case. The focus is now on is the car repainted; at the bottom of a lake or abandoned on a forest road; what type of records at the DMV are available etc etc.

Just sayin'

But for the thousands you spend to buy a car, the data it produces doesn’t belong to you. My Chevy’s dashboard didn’t say what the car was recording. It wasn’t in the owner’s manual. There was no way to download it.
The OnStar privacy policy, possibly only ever read by yours truly, grants the company rights to a broad set of personal and driving data without much detail on when and how often it might collect it. It says: “We may keep the information we collect for as long as necessary” to operate, conduct research or satisfy GM’s contractual obligations. Translation: pretty much forever.

Not to sure about the USA. But in Britain we have multiple cameras that detect all cars and number plates in many areas (due to evasion of road tax and not having an MOT) Perhaps the car that the LE are seeking is on camera ?
Since police know the car, but not the licence plate, it seems like they have CCTV of the vehicle driving past a camera. It sounds like police are unsure whether there is one or more people in the car.

ah, that was 2019, and there is legislation underway to close the loophole. If you Google 'closing warrantee digital car search loophole act' you can read more about it, but in general, I'd say it's also not a straight answer, and so much would depend on circumstances, state, etc. I would never give a blanket yes or no without doing the leg and case law research.

here's an interesting bit re canada, too: https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/LSB/LSB10387

[/QUOTE]
Ahhh, this is a very good point. We don't know how the family found this out. They could have found out from LE because LE offers that information, or K's ex-boyfriend, JD, could have told K's family that M also tried to call him.
Didn't M call JD, using KG's phone? (Meaning call or text). or maybe you mean something else. I'm still not understanding how they knew it was M making the calls unless the family could see a voice mail or text message.

I thought, early on, that there was significance in the fact that LE specifically named the brand and I still believe this. Ka-Bar, even though they make other knives, is kind of like what Xerox is to photocopiers. People usually envision the GI blade used for years by the US military. To me the most significant features of this blade are the guard and the fact that it is has a full tang which allows for quite a bit of force to be applied without danger of separating blade from handle. One can punch this through a car door. The tip may break, but the blade itself will not.

Wow. Thank you so much for the information, and for the visual. This is very helpful and we need to keep in mind that one of the first things LE learned, definitively, is that such a knife was used.

I think you are right - and so do some knife experts, apparently (that they could tell the brand from the fact that the hilt left marks specific to a particular knife).

I could say quite a bit more as to how this type of design by a company makes them a more responsible company than, say, someone who makes their own knives at home and has no known, standard hilt.

The OnStar privacy policy, possibly only ever read by yours truly, grants the company rights to a broad set of personal and driving data without much detail on when and how often it might collect it. It says: “We may keep the information we collect for as long as necessary” to operate, conduct research or satisfy GM’s contractual obligations. Translation: pretty much forever.
I'll offer one caveat here and that is that using that kind of data as evidence in a criminal trial probably needs to meet a higher standard. if I were working on the case, I would want to make sure to get that warrant anyway. jmo. that's me being cautious and knowing the privacy standards in my state.

There's a reason cops haven't released too much information and a reason they're keeping Mr. Goncalves in the dark on some stuff, folks. I think we need to cut the cops a break.

MOO.
Knowing the facts will give many of us a sense of comfort that this couldn't happen to us or our kids (in my case, I'm old enough to be their great-great grandmother had our family been early breeders) and that the upended world has at least a modicum of justice. We want to think we're safe because we don't play loud music or haven't had too many loud parties or mistakenly enraged someone dangerously unhinged or forgot to lock the door. Right now this is like an Everyman Crime; it happened to four kids who (from what we know) should've been safe and headed for happy and successful futures. They don't appear to be courting violence or hanging out out with psychopaths. Instead they are victims of an incomprehensible and brutal series of homicides. The more we know, the more removed we hope to feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy