ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. IMO the killer lived in Wash and commuted to work in Idaho or vice versa. I am guessing they either live in one state and/ or work in another. Perhaps, the killing took place in one state, and evidence was disposed of in another?
I totally agree, I think there is a Strong possibility that state lines were crossed. The wilderness is so vast up that way, my goodness I can only imagine if they are having to search it all in some way. Totally my opinion.

Locals vs college kids/professional employees
on the one hand the town needs the students- a lot of businesses rely heavily on students working for them or going to the bar, etc. on the other hand people complain that more and more land around the town is used to build more houses, etc. it's called ''town-gown
NewsNation had an interesting report about it:

Question for you about the collection of DNA at a crime scene. The crime scenes have been described as quite bloody. I'd assume most of the blood (DNA) was that of the victims. If the killer did end up with a bleeding cut, how do you know where to start collecting samples? Or is the most likely place to find the killer's DNA on walls, light switches, door handles?
TIA

JMO
I think that's one of the biggest issues here- most commonly you find DNA under the victim's finger nails in case there was a fight, fingerprints on the door, glass etc.
But if it is messy and you need to do a blind swap it's like searching for a black cat in a dark room. - you could swap blood and it turns out to be the victim's blood but 3 mm next to it would have been the killer's blood. the job would drive me nuts- constantly thinking I could have mist the vital evidence. And don't forget- it was a party house. they just had a lot of people over 2 days before the murders- even if you find a lot of other DNA you don't know if it's related to the murder or not

Question for any former LE on this page or anyone with experience or knowledge of how the agencies work together on high profile cases like this.

When FBI and or FBI behavioral analyst are working with local PD/LE on a case of this magnitude……

Do they also assist in the weekly press release / formal updates local LE makes to the public?

Do they advise on what information to withhold and release to the public?

Do they review it before it is released to the media/public?

I'm sure they have piles of leads from SM. I tend to discount things like that, and technical ideas like the perp wearing night-vision goggles and a sharkproof wet suit etc.

This guy and this crime just strikes me as basic, old school, almost primal.
Do you know what the issue with this crime scene is? ( besides all the unrelated DNA and a lot of people had been there) - I agree with some of the profilers- it looks at first as if it was a well-planned crime- organized. But at the same time, it is not organized. You either have- someone who pre-meditated it and was very organized and knew what he was doing. Or you have someone - for example a person who wanted to frighten someone, everything went out of hand, maybe intoxicated, etc. and it was unorganized. In order to be on the right track you need to know which direction to go. The problem with the seemingly missing motive is another one- Motive and profile are usually the 2 hallmarks which direct the investigation ( unless of course you have someone fingerprints and DNA all over the place or witnesses)

Has the killer planned an elaborate fantasy around the address to carry out their plans in 1122, November 2022 aka 11/22

Has this happened elsewhere in another murder case of similar nature?

This might be his signature
The Alphabet Murders in the early 1970s near Rochester, New York, come to mind. Not exactly the same but somewhat similar.

Another issue that perplexes me is the dog. It's reported that the dog was in a different room. It occurs to me that the dog would be with Kaylee and that only someone that dog trusted could get it to go to another room without barking... Also, if it was a targeted killing, it makes sense that the perp wouldn't want to leave anyone who would suspect them as the killer. I'm also considering the violence or "brutal" way in which Kaylee was killed. Could someone have been infuriated by the thought that Kaylee and Mogan were "together"? I remember being hit on at clubs and when the advances were rebuffed, the jerk would usually accuse me of being a lesbian. (I was out with my sister lol).
Who is Morgan? I didn’t check in here as much as I have been and apparently missed a whole new plot twist.

Do the military use knives?
This is my experience only, but my husband has been an Army Infantry officer for 21 years and has never been issued a knife by the Army. He was never trained with a knife specifically, but they do train in hand-to-hand combatives which could be done with a knife. He was allowed to take personal knives to overseas deployments. And he always has a knife with him, more for utility purposes than personal defense and it’s never a fixed blade knife.

Where is everyone getting $8000-$9000 Elantra? Is that just what it’s worth or is there evidence it’s recently been purchased or sold? Thanks!

Where is everyone getting $8000-$9000 Elantra? Is that just what it’s worth or is there evidence it’s recently been purchased or sold? Thanks!
They are more than likely basing it on the carfax value of a 2011-2013 white Hyundai used in good condition.

I’m not sure if I believe that there was a specific target/targets, but what if this was a Rhoden/Gilley situation? For those not familiar, 8 members of the same family were shot to death in the middle of the night in four different locations by 4 members of another family. Their ultimate goal was to get rid of one member of the Rhoden family to get custody of the child she shared with a member of the murdering family. While planning her murder, they decided 3 more family members needed to be killed because they would know who killed her and come after them. The rest of the victims were collateral damage.

What if one of the roommates was concerned for their safety because of a specific situation and the other 3 knew (or maybe just the other 2 girls, whoever may not have been the targets, since Ethan was just visiting), and the perp knew or assumed the others would know or have a good idea who was responsible for her murder. Thus, the perp believed he needed to eliminate the others he thought would be able to identify him. I would be surprised if just the three girls knew about a situation like that and not anyone else, but what if it was a recent incident and they hadn’t had a chance to tell other friends or family members yet? Or maybe someone does know about a situation and the perp is under investigation.

I realize the lifestyles between the two groups that were killed are polar opposites and if someone had motivation in this case, it would not be child custody. But it’s not impossible.

Who actually took the photos of the victims on the porch?
A friend/sorority member. That photo wasnt the only taken that day. There were quite a few taken with other friends. They can be found on K's instagram.
Potentially a break. I am surprised that news media have not been asking LE about it. Reporting it. These reports were listed for last Friday.
No I don't think so. But did give me hope for a split second.

So Idaho is one of those states where legally genealogy companies could work with law enforcement agencies if push come to shove so to speak.
Yes, it appears their intention is to be at the forefront, nationally.

“Next week, Idaho will be hosting a Forensic Investigative Genetic Genealogy training for forensic agencies across the country that will then become the national training plan taught across the nation.”

Idaho Advanced DNA Cold Case Team

The Idaho Cold Case and Advanced DNA Methods (ICCADM) Task Force (also led by ISP, in partnership with the Idaho Prosecuting Attorney’s Association (IPAA), the Idaho Chiefs of Police Association (ICOPA), the Idaho Sheriff’s Association (ISA), the Idaho Statistical Analysis Center (ISAC), the Rocky Mountain Information Network (RMIN), and Boise State University (BSU)) was established in 2020 to begin investigating and prosecuting cases resulting from unsolved sexual assaults and homicides where DNA evidence still exists and no probative matches exist through CODIS.

Thank you for this post!
I don't know how I missed that extensive interview from very early on. It's hard to watch, so much pain. But actually there are answers to some questions I have had for a long time, like how and when M&K got to the Corner Club.
Any chance you made a full transcript of this?
It also answers for me they went to a frat party Friday night that I obviously missed.

We all know the girls were active on social media, such as Instagram and TikTok. However, it is my experience that people that age post a lot more on Snapchat, like several times a day. Those posts are only available to those who follow you and they are deleted after 24 hours. The girls could have put out way more on Snapchat than we would ever know.

If neither Kaylee nor Ethan were residents of the house, then they were not the target.

If Xana was targeted, there was no need to go to the 3rd floor.

Logically, Maddy was the target. It was not a spur of the moment event, it was brewing for a long time and the semester was about to end - hence the timing. The perp is known to all of them as a casual acquaintance, a friend of a friend and he has been to the house. He came in through the front door and went straight up the stairs to her room. Kaylee was a surprise and became collateral damage. Exiting through the rear doors, Ethan or Xana saw him walk by their room and they are dead because he thought they surely recognized him.

It's one perp whom drives the white car and left a bucket of forensic evidence behind. It is being processed. This will be solved.

MOO

I don't agree with this first statement as I think it could be untrue on several grounds -

1) someone stalking either Kaylee or Ethan could have followed them to that address using a variety of methods;

2) someone watching the house and / or either Kaylee from nearby could see them coming and going and know they're there or not;

3) someone who lives at the house, or anyone who knows anyone who lives at the house, could have unwittingly informed a third party that Kaylee and Ethan are there in some form of chat;

4) Kaylee or Ethan themselves could have told any number of people they were going to stay there;

I am not in any way saying that Kaylee or Ethan were targeted. Just pointing out the discrepancies in that statement, no offence intended. JMO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove