ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pages ago, someone asked for a link about the handprint on one of the windows...

Oh - thank you. So it could be anyone's handprint, I guess. Handprints on sliding doors are pretty normal.

No word on whether it was a non-resident handprint, I would guess. It would contain lots of info if they could tie it to the killer.

I have a keypad lock on my door. When I enter the code, it makes a whirring noise to let me know it is working, That I have entered the correct code.
If I do not get it at the correct time, I have to start over.

It does not automatically lock. I have to twist a knob on the inside

And to lock the door from the outside, I press a logo and it makes a whirring noise to let me know it is working

Your lock has no noise to let you know it is working?
@human
Yes. the keypad lights up and flashes green, makes a whirring noise and also a series of beeps when it opens. If the code is used. it lights up, flashes red and makes a series of beeps. The door will not unlock when that happens and then you do it again.
It locks automatically when I leave my house and close my door. It also automatically locks when I enter and then close the door.

Yes, and maybe they ENDED in their beds (as opposed to remaining there the entire attack). It’s not uncommon for victims to retreat back to a bed, sofa, or a chair while in the throes of a mortal state (of which they may or may not even be aware) before expiring. Organs lack nerve endings, therefore no pain is experienced internally. Many stabbing victims who survive never realized they were being stabbed until they saw the blood. They thought they were being punched.
This could be true except for the assertion that they were most likely asleep when attacked.

It should be noted that "asleep when attacked" is not the same thing as "asleep when killed".

It should also be noted that defensive wounds don't necessarily mean they fought back. They could simply be just defensive wounds. For instance, X could have awakened and held up her arms to defend against being stabbed.

Was there a physical call? The video showed patrol officers just happening onto the college kids at Band Field is my understanding. The incident begins at approximately 2:54a and lasts until 3:15a.

The timeline has always seemed a little strange to me. Maybe I’m still stuck on law enforcement’s unwillingness (despite apparent evidence) to shift M+K’s arrival at 1122 to 1:56a though.
LE should know the approximate time they arrived home from the sorority sober drive, assuming they called for a ride home. In the Grub Truck video, one of the girls spends most of her time there on her phone. That activity plus the timeline of the live feed should narrow it down very closely.

No disagreement here, but schizophrenia typically manifests in men in their mid to late 20s. Woman a little later, if I recall correctly.

I am not saying that men in their late teens/early 20s aren't developmentally capable of mass murder. I am saying that they aren't developmentally capable of this kind of mass
Fun fact: Many people might find this surprising, but only a very small percentage of schizophrenics act out violently. On occasion when a violent act does occur, it is usually due to their noncompliance in taking their regularly scheduled medications. This alone can lead them to becoming acutely psychotic, paranoid, suffer audio/visual halloucinations, and delusional thinking. I've dealt with many, many schizophrenics during my 30 yr career in caring for people with this disease, and not once did I ever see a schizophrenic lift a finger to myself or another staff member. Now people with a diagnosis of paranoid personality disorder are a different matter altogether.

Hey there. Glad you brought that up. The same thoughts occurred to me (and to some other knife-knowledgeable people a few threads ago). It's possible the killer used the same basic MO on all the victims - it would not surprise me at all. A stab wound to the lung will reduce the volume of a person's speech but might not be immediately fatal - a lot of movement and resistance would still be possible. A stab wound to the liver, OTOH, is going to result in unconsciousness and death more rapidly than just a lung wound.

As to planning, I usually wouldn't go there, but I think waiting until a quiet night, choosing organs to stab that are useful for a quiet kill, and leaving no personally identifying evidence (at this time) is quite something. I assume the perp's DNA will have to be reconstructed from various items in evidence and it won't be easy.

Many here have pondered why the killer didn't go for the carotid or the jugular - and my opinion is that if he instead went for lungs and liver, the task is easier - plus less arterial blood spurt in all likelihood,
IMO, I think the killer wasn’t as intelligent and organized as we think. I think it was an angry frenzied ambush that happened very quickly. I have a hard time thinking the killer mulled over where to stab the victims-he just did it in a visceral rage.

Killing the victims in their beds decreases the chance the killer tracked blood through the house as most of blood would likely seep into the bedding and mattresses. There would likely be blood cast off from the knife being thrust back and forth and blood spatter on walls and nearby items. If the killer had blood on his clothes or body he could have transferred it onto other objects, such as the sliding glass door. He may have cleaned off the knife at the scene.

LE said they collected about 112 pieces of evidence from the crime scene. Many of those items probably have blood on them.

I'm pretty sure there were evidence markers on the sliding glass door, so it's possible they did find blood there.
If the killer had blood on his clothes or body he could have transferred it onto other objects, such as the sliding glass door.
If killer wore gloves and avoided stepping in blood (most blood likely in the bed not the floor), they may only have transferred the VICTIM'S blood to other locations in the house. That would have minimal forensic value. MOO

Likely sleeping when they were killed but not all of them were necessarily in their beds could mean they were asleep in their beds when killed but then posed elsewhere.

My opinion.
Likely sleeping when attacked isn't the same as likely sleeping when killed....

One allows for someone to wake up during the attack and defend themselves, like X. (My heart breaks that she was actually aware something was happening).

Likely sleeping when killed means there was no chance for a defense. Yes, it is likely this happened to one or more, but not all.

Oh - thank you. So it could be anyone's handprint, I guess. Handprints on sliding doors are pretty normal.

No word on whether it was a non-resident handprint, I would guess. It would contain lots of info if they could tie it to the killer.

The handprint is seemingly on a window, not the sliding door. See this Inside Edition video for a wider view than the article I first linked...

Could Handprint Found on Window Be From the Killer of 4 Idaho Students?
Handprint Found on Window at Slain Idaho Students’ Home

..... Dr. Phil Show today--
Forensic expert, Joseph Scott Morgan; former FBI Special Agent, Jonathan Gilliam; Criminologist, Dr. Casey Jordan; DailyMail Senior Reporter, Caitlyn Becker; and Cyber Sleuth, Lisa Marie, join Dr. Phil to discuss this mysterious case.

Just saw a clip a few seconds Long some girl said Ethan had words and it got heated then it cut off. I am going to see if I can watch the whole things. Things are getting interesting

The clips that have been uploaded to you tube show the woman mention Ethan having a heated run in with someone then it cuts off. There’s a bunch of short Dr phil episode based on the Idaho murders but none so far with the woman talking about Ethan heated exchange.

I hope someone uploads the dr Phil episode in its entirety.
This one. Right in the beginning of this segment is where she shares that info, but even though it was stated on tv, file it away for now. I'd wait and not discuss it further on this thread.

I’m wondering the same. If you look at the layout of the 2nd floor, especially the virtual rendering online, it would be way easier to come in through the 2nd floor slider, put the dog in the empty 2nd floor bedroom, and head upstairs. If K was the target, then maybe the plan was to leave after killing her. Perhaps a barking or whining dog roused E and X on the second floor and that’s what was encountered on the way down. Thus you get the “fought like hell” scenario that the ME allegedly told SG. Surely the killer was scratched or at least had some noticeable marks.

If you start on the 2nd floor with a huge fight, then surely you are awakening the others above.

Also, if we believe K or anyone specifically was targeted, as opposed to being targeted for “type” or what you represent for the killer, then I’m thinking it’s got to be someone local to Moscow or their respective hometowns. And if it’s local then I have to believe he was stalking them that earlier that night, at all the places behforehand. Was he in the white car then? Did he show up for work or class on Monday or Tuesday with scratches of a dubious nature?

We are a month out and if LE hasn’t brought that to the attention of the community then the memory is now waning.
This is going to sound asinine, is it possible the killer took time off work and went on a vacation to get away. Is that realistic? To avoid detection perhaps?

As far as the car owner/driver not coming forward, I live in the state, and the case is only getting minimal news coverage at this point in my city. IMO, it's entirely possible, maybe even probable, that someone living here (or anywhere except the immediate vicinity of Moscow, websleuths excluded) with that car hasn't even heard they're looking for it. My friends aren't talking about the case, it's not breakroom conversation at work, college students here aren't noticeably behaving differently.

Wow.

I was wondering about this today - thank you so much for your viewpoint. The case is of course non-existent in local news here in SoCal.

Reflecting on the description of the wounds, might the initial description of the weapon be off? Instead of a combat knife, might a small survival hatchet create the wound as described? These are slightly smaller than woodsman's hatchets and are lighter. Small hatchets were also among weapons used in personal combat before our industrial age.

This is going to sound asinine, is it possible the killer took time off work and went on a vacation to get away. Is that realistic? To avoid detection perhaps?
imo that would seem reasonable. make sure to talk about it beforehand so everyone knew it was a planned trip, not just a post-murder reaction. jmo

Wow.

I was wondering about this today - thank you so much for your viewpoint. The case is of course non-existent in local news here in SoCal.
Non-existent in Canada, even just across the border (5 hours north) of Moscow.

Edit: Apparently, I am incorrect. It is news in some parts of Canada, just not where I live in rural British Columbia.

Last edited:
Pages ago, someone asked for a link about the handprint on one of the windows...

if they have the killer's handprint/fingerprints, I'd be shocked if they were unable to ID. I've been fingerprinted for work many times, including one job that required Interpol clearance, ditto with working for gov't agencies, so imo the handprint wasn't the killer's print or they haven't had much employment that required background checks. imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia