ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
**Update** Through further investigation, MPD learned Kaylee and Madison used a private party for a ride home from Grub Truck at approximately 1:40 a.m.

per MPD
...but Kaylee's sister said she verified they were dropped off safely by their Uber driver. :oops:

The inconsistencies in this case have my head spinning. Whew.

**Update** Through further investigation, MPD learned Kaylee and Madison used a private party for a ride home from Grub Truck at approximately 1:40 a.m.

per MPD
Their phrasing is so odd, it makes me wonder how they came to this determination.
  1. Ruled out all car services by checking every service and cab company? Seems unlikely they could be so confident IMO.
  2. Somebody came forward and said "I gave them a ride home?" Possible, IMO
  3. Captured license plate on ring camera at dropoff, then found driver? Possible, IMO
(And I still think they have the time wrong :) IMO, etc...)

Too bad what should be a simple clarification leads to more questions.

Has it ever been confirmed that the weapon was a knife? I know there was a report from a merchant that they were looking for someone who might have bought a knife, but have they actually confirmed beyond a "sharp edged" implement?

You can drive by a house and canvass and then choose to not park there. I remain convinced the person came from the wooded area that connects to another road. That no one got out of a car on a Ring camera right in front of the house doesn't negate the possibility that the house was canvassed at some point in time.
Coming and going out the back, through the woods and Golf course makes the most logistical, low profile sense to me.
Then what? Is there a way to hide a vehicle someplace out there? I’ve seen Google maps but don’t have a clue what it really looks like on the ground.

Hello everyone, I hope you don't mind yet another new member chime in with their theories. So to be clear this is entirely IMO or MOO!

<modsnip >

Lastly, as someone who recently graduated from university I have heard several stories of friends waking up to find a homeless/transient passed out on their couch or front porch. They simply just stumbled into their house for a place to sleep out of the cold because the front door was unlocked. And not to stereotype but I could imagine an older homeless man carrying that type of knife on him for various reasons (food, self protection, etc.). So I guess that's the theory I'm going with. An older, likely mentally-ill, transient who was drunk or on drugs found his way into the house. Maybe Ethan awoke and confronted him and he pulled a knife out and went crazy. College towns seem to unfortunately be popular among that type of person. I lost count of the number of homeless people I would see sleeping in the library or harassing people for money around campus.
Well, I will give that the weight it deserves! Thanks!

IMO, I would hope they bring in a Medical Examiner.
In Idaho, coroners are elected. As someone posted upthread, this is a common arrangement to protect them from influence of law enforcement. They answer only to the voters, the laws the legislature passes, and the courts that interpret those laws. I'm not in the camp that she needs to shut up. She has every right to disclose what she knows within the law even if LE asks her to keep it secret. Remember, part of her roll is a check on LE overreach or corruption. I suspect LE has an obligation to turn over all evidence to her and their failure to do so is likely to undermine the prosecution at trial.

That said, she should have a budget to bring in someone who is qualified to investigate stabbing deaths if she is not.

Is it just me or is this statement by the chief confusing? He says both “we’re not 100% sure if the door was unlocked” and “the door was still open when we got there”. Could that mean he isn’t sure it was unlocked when the killer gained access but it certainly was unlocked when LE arrived at the scene? And is he talking about the door by the parked cars, or the sliding glass door in the back?
This whole "keystone cop technique" is reminiscent of the work done by the Boulder, CO case for JonBenet Ramsey.

Including the crazy announcement that there was "no threat to the community". How could LEO even make such a comment without a person in custody?

If my daughter was going to college there, right now, we would be looking at transferring for next semester.

The confusing thing is… did neither of the four victims make any sort of noise or scream? Meaning that the two other girls would hear something? I have a hard time believing neither of them screamed during the attack, and that if they did scream that the roommates did not wake up.

I think that an Uber/Lyft IS a type of "private vehicle." I think they point is that they did not walk, ride a bike or scooter, and did not take public transportation, such as a bus.
I think they are saying it was not Lyft or Uber. I suspect the driver called the police as soon as he heard about the murders, they talked to him, cleared him, and they just assumed he was with uber.

From what I've read in the news (reputable sources), there are some gangs that will use knives, swords, machetes, etc. to torture victims (or to scare/punish victims' relatives/friends) in relation to drug deals, especially if they owe(d) or cost the gang money.

This seems less likely to be about drugs, IMO.

Sadly, I think it's a random stalker.
Or maybe he stalked one or more of them as an equipped hunter stalks prey. To kill. Not possess, to have or hold. Kill. No matter what.

I will be surprised if it is not someone they knew or knew of. I don't think it will be a serial killer, but I have been wrong before. I tend to think it's someone who had been in the house before.

All IMO

I agree with this - someone that knew her by interaction, and enough to know where her room would be from either living close or being there at a party. But I don’t think it was a friend of even acquaintance. While it may not have been a stalker specifically, I think it was someone that was obsessed with Kaylee. This was his last opportunity to ensure that she could not “leave” him. In his head, that meant killing her. I also do not think he initially intended to kill anyone outside of her but it didn’t go as planned.

24 hours ago, I would have never thought the killer was already in the house, but with the information, or lack thereof, I believe he was.

In my opinion, I think the following occurred.

-The perp saw the social media post that Kaylee was back in town and knew they we all going out.
-he uses that as an opportunity to get into the home, goes into Kaylee room at waits.
-they all come home, potentially hang out together and eventually Madison and Kaylee come up to bed. This is where his plan goes sideways.
-I believe as friends do when drunk and knowing this is one of the last college nights they’ll have together, lay in bed together, talk, call J, and eventually fall asleep in the same bed together.
-While he only had Kaylee in mind, this is last chance and he decides to kill both Madison and Kaylee. I would not be surprised if Kaylee had more stab wounds than the others.
-Xana and Ethan are asleep, but one or both are awaken by the noise (I believe Kaylee’s room is directly above).
-The killer needs to go through the kitchen to leave through the slider, and I thought Xana’s room was next to the kitchen. As he attempts to leave the premise, either Xana or Ethan is out of bed, with the door open looking out to see what is going on, and sees the killer.
-He then turns on that person, who I think is Xana and attacks her - thus the defense wounds reported by her father.
-I think he then turns on Ethan who would likely be trying to understand what is going on as he is drunkenly sleeping.
-He then exits the residence through the slider, quickly - this leaving it unlocked.

I’ve been wracking my brain about who could do this, and more importantly why. Serial killers, drug dealers, ex-boyfriends, random psycho, grudges, etc just don’t fit in my opinion. But in my opinion, a very obsessed individual, who knew her in passing but wasn’t a friend, had motive due to Kaylee leaving, and would explain the why most were killed in bed, with one with defensive wounds. And if most were killed in bed, it would significantly reduce the blood trail as he left through the sliding door.

EDIT: I am sure that it is being conducted as we speak, but since Kaylee’s insta is open and can be followed without approval, I would look for alibis for every male follower from Nov 12 to the previous 60 days. If the this was an obsessed individual then it is my opinion that he still currently followed her there or did within the last 69 days.

Last edited:
I managed to miss this.

Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.

Therefore, "some" must mean 2 or 3 in their beds. It cannot mean 1 or all 4.

I know it seems obvious, but in the absence of information we do what we can...

My plausible opinion is the boyfriend/girlfriend were murdered first in bed by a jealous pursuer that figured that if he couldn’t have her he’d kill them both. It likely angered the murderer deeply that the girlfriend was in an intimate and successful relationship with another guy. IMO.

The other murdered girls were possibly witness to the murderer being in the house, probably someone they all knew and that would be identified had the two girls not been murdered. IMO. They were killed to eliminate witnesses, and maybe not in immediate succession to the boyfriend/girlfriend. Remember that two other female roommates were never bothered and are alive. That is telling me the boyfriend/girlfriend were the targets. IMO.

...but Kaylee's sister said she verified they were dropped off safely by their I have just read that he was more of a good samaritan making sure they got home or into an Uber. That also explains his behavior. Maybe he said to the big guy " I'm babysitting these drunk chicks." Maybe he was from a frat... in my experience they often look out for "little sisters." Maybe he was asked by the bar. At any rate he was apparently interviewed and cleared by the cops, probably arrived home immediately after the food truck, otherwise there would be an all points out on him.
doesn’t this just seem odd to not look into further? Also skews the timeline a bit. Clearly these girls were not making a call to have an Uber on standpoint while they were ordering from the grub truck, looks as if they headed in A “party direction” if you look at where everyone else in The video who was partying” headed off to, it’s all to the left of that food truck. Sure, maybe ubers were waiting there, just definitely didn’t look like in the 15-20 mins the girls waited there that they made an attempt to reach an Uber.
Also, coroner places time of death between 2-3 am. If you watch the video, you’ll notice girls literally don’t leave food truck until 1:49am. If they took an Uber home immediately from that point, they’d get home at 2. If they walked, they’d get home at 2:15pm. Either point indicates the time they were killed, likely perp followed right behind they’re entry. So question is, who followed, or watched them make entry to the home and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdw1990