ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you been able to find any direct quote from the coroner giving that time frame? It's been in a couple of MSM articles but the links they provided to "verify" it went to reports that only said something like "early morning hours." I would love to know exactly where this time frame originated. Thank you!
“It would have been early in the morning, sometime after 2 a.m., but still during the night," Mabbutt said”

So after 2am and then maybe the 5am time was assumed because after 5am could be considered early morning.

Has there been any discussion about that back kitchen sliding glass door being broken because I see the red tape the police put there and I’m wondering if that lock was broken?
I wondered if the sliding door lock was not locking way back in thread 20.

I've been thinking about Xana's dad changing the lock on the door to her room. Why would he do that? The most obvious reasons are that A) she was scared of someone or B) things had been disappearing from her room. I wonder if someone had regularly been sneaking into the house and taking little "souvenirs" of her life, or the lives of all the girls that lived there. If so, he could have befriended Murphy over a period of weeks or even months. This could point to Xana as a primary target. I asked earlier today but didn't get an answer--which of the girls in the house were in the same sorority and what was it? Did they both resign at the same time, and when was that?
I am not sure I buy the idea that Xana's father changed any locks. He is not on record saying that anywhere here. That info came from her mother, who has been somewhat disconnected from the situation for some time apparently. We do know that the dad had made a comment early on about Xana having changed a lot, for the better, since going to college and having her relationship with Ethan.

Is it possible that Xana's dad told her mom, in a phone call, that "she had changed a lot", and she mistook it for that "he had changed a lock"?

Can anyone verify, with a source, where it was said by anyone other than Xana's mother, that a lock had recently been changed? JMO

Last edited:
I've been thinking about Xana's dad changing the lock on the door to her room. Why would he do that?
There has never been any mention of that by anyone other than X's mom, in one single interview. Her father, who has done more interviews, has never said a word about it.
X's mom was a total wreck in that interview (understandably so), and it is thought by many, including myself, that she misunderstood something that was said previously by her father.
In effect, he said that he had visited X just the weekend before and she had changed a lot.

Iirc, the 3-4 am statement came from the Mayor very early on. I don't think that timeframe has been released by LE. I'm open to a larger timeframe. Imo.
Thanks for pointing this out. I went back to the Moscow PD Press releases and for weeks their detectives requested any outside surveillance videos taken between 3 am and 6 am.

Has there been any discussion about that back kitchen sliding glass door being broken because I see the red tape the police put there and I’m wondering if that lock was broken?
My understanding is that the red tape is put up by LE at a crime scene on every possible ingress point to secure the scene.

After a month having watched this case regularly, I am baffled that the timeline regarding possible time of deaths seems to keep moving
Why 2-5AM?

Why two AM? The calls went as late as 2:30 if I remember correctly
Why 5AM? Sunrise is near 6:45AM

2:50-6:30AM if you stop at dawn- they were not found until noon so 2:50-Noon is time none of the victims have calls or sightings or texts, condition of bodies would suggest death much earlier- maybe that is evidence for deaths prior to 5AM?

JMO
This is an interview from Nov 17th. I’m assuming the coroner, Mabbutt, got the 2am time from the ME and the ME probably didn’t know about the text messages. There have been several posts about rigor mortis - maybe that’s how the ME determined the deaths were during the night (I’m guessing after 5am is considered early morning.)

“In an interview with NBC News Nov. 17, Mabbutt said the autopsy gave a clearer picture of what time the four were killed, their “extensive” wounds, and what the murder weapon was.

"It would have been early in the morning, sometime after 2 a.m., but still during the night," Mabbutt said”

MOO

It takes a lot less time than you’d ever expect. This (by all accounts of the evidence confirmed so far) seems to be a very frenzied and sanguineous attack. He was in and out in breakneck speed. JMOHO
I'm sure I would be surprised if it took less than the 35 minutes I originally posted. Without knowing exactly how many stab wounds, the subsequent sizes and locations on each victim, I don't know if it seems frenzied or not. Until the autopsy reports are made public that list and describe each wound, we are left to apply our own meaning to the word "multiple".
always moo

I used @wnk awesome timeline.

2 a.m. to 5 a.m. This is when Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the homicides occurred. Moscow Mayor Art Bettge previously told the Statesman that police told him they believed the deaths were 3-4 a.m.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article268898017.html#storylink=cpy
2:00 - 5:00 am - based on the autopsies, must be.

5:00 am is end time.

moo

Edit to add: I see EmmieA beat me to it

I’m with you. I think there’s a possibility something was going on with the dog and whatever that something was could have been due to the threat. I think that could be why K called the ex-bf in regard to “We share a dog together.” Was the dog loose in the neighborhood or acting up? Did they have to put it outside the room to get to sleep? We know the perp did not want to be fooling around with a dog so he either had to put it somewhere to contain it or let it loose outside the home. If he leaves after the murders AND leaves the door open then the dog can wander back inside on its own once it’s done running the neighborhood. Or just be in it’s room. I have to think that the dog would have been impacted by the murders unless it was put outside.
I had the same question about the dog. It just seems logical that he would sleep with K or M and so I found it odd that he wasn’t in the room with them. Then, am I incorrect because it’s been a month, didn’t K‘s sister talk about that last text to the XBF, we share a dog. Is it possible that the dog was locked away someplace else and she couldn’t find the dog? But then I think that the sister also did an interview saying that the girls let the dog out to do his business? I can’t remember which one it was. Hope you all remember better than I do.

I've been thinking about Xana's dad changing the lock on the door to her room. Why would he do that? The most obvious reasons are that A) she was scared of someone or B) things had been disappearing from her room. I wonder if someone had regularly been sneaking into the house and taking little "souvenirs" of her life, or the lives of all the girls that lived there. If so, he could have befriended Murphy over a period of weeks or even months. This could point to Xana as a primary target. I asked earlier today but didn't get an answer--which of the girls in the house were in the same sorority and what was it? Did they both resign at the same time, and when was that?
I’m in my 40’s, married with kids and my 70 year old dad is always looking around my house to find something to fix when he comes over. It could be completely innocent. It was parents weekend when he was there when the lock was supposedly changed/fixed so he may have just been looking around for things to fix for his daughter while he was around. I’m not 100% convinced he did anything with the lock or that there was something wrong with it either. The only person we’ve heard this from is Xana’s mom and IMO, she didn’t have a lot of information on her daughter’s life recently or any circumstances around the murders.

I have wondered that too.
Sliding doors are very vulnerable. I remember getting locked out of a building with new sliding doors that were locked from the inside. I was with a friend who was a contractor, and he just lifted the locked doors right out of the track. It is extremely difficult to keep them secure, even with a variety of locks.

There are no official sources where the time frame "seems to keep moving." That is only happening in internet community threads.

I followed the trail of links where this was discussed yesterday and found nothing. The 2-5am timeframe comes from an Idaho Statesman article which links to to a DNews article as a source. The only timeframe stated in the DNews article is "likely in the early morning hours Sunday" and even that is not a direct quote.

I have not yet seen a legitimate source for any timeframe whatsoever. Probably because I haven't watched the early news conferences.
Here’s the coroner talking about the timeframe:

JMO and theory given the introduction of/specificity around the car. Maybe there was a getaway driver who was not in on what the killer intended and thought it was just a prank or maybe it was just a prank and the killer became enraged and lost it?

That would explain the attention LE was paying to tire tracks early on in the investigation and the wide-open front door.

And maybe the first-floor roommates were in on what they thought was/would be prank/hazing? This would explain the confusion around the 911 call and why the police won't release it. The survivors called the others in on the "prank" to figure out what was going on.

The getaway driver hasn't come forward because she/he may think they are equally responsible under the felony-murder rule. Or is in witness protection.

The prank/hazing aspect could explain the mystery surrounding Xana/Ethan's timeline, the weirdness around Ethan's fraternity, and the multiple calls to J.

Under this theory, LE knows exactly who did it but is just tying up loose ends/collecting evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13