ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
… The families are just very vulnerable and raw. How I wish they would assign one family spokesperson to speak on behalf of all of them.) MOO/IMO

Yes, like the McCann family did after Madeleine went missing. Unfortunately, most do not have the financial backing to hire PR.

*Edited due to inserted wrong quote originally *

Last edited:
Thank you, you are right! :) My post is a bit all over the place and not clear.

I guess I got the impression from the article that the clerk and gas station wasn't approached by LE and she discovered the car footage and/or it wasn't turned into LE as she still had the digital copy and took pic with her cell phone. So I got the impression that gas station was missed or not canvassed.

I don't want to bog down the thread with my thought, as it was merrily a curious thought! I was more or less hoping to gain some clues/insight into the trail LE may have been following.
Ah...yes...I see your line of thinking. Thanks for clarifying.
I guess we really don't know either way- for sure.
Personally I think once the remaining DNA is in - we'll see LE make some real moves.

I've wondered that too - about the timing of 6-7 text messages to an ex-boyfriend at the same time that a vehicle seems to be heading to the house to murder them - seems unusual. 3 AM messages to ex, car spotted at 2:45-3:15 heading to the murders - which is minutes away.

If the white vehicle is involved and the time stamps are correct, the car seems to be heading to the house roughly 45 minutes after the third floor tenants left the food trucks ... to go home, eat pasta and play mid-night phone tag. Maybe it would be interesting to look at the walking and travel time between the food trucks and the mass murder house.

That would give a radius of where the suspect might be ... based on the assumption that the killer knew that the girls picked up pasta after the pub. Was that a usual thing ... stop at the food trucks to load up on pasta after a night of drinking? I'm curious. If the girls typically walked from the pub to the food trucks before getting an uber home, someone not on film at the food trucks could have been expecting them?
Interesting questions
It seems it would be relevant to know who was watching the foodtruck footage
Where do those watchers live? Some may be local

JMO

The car direction on White Ave. is disputed. Fox News clearly reports the car was traveling on HWY 8 when the photo was taken of a car at high speed. Fox quoted the night manager's testimony "The car drove by "real quick," she said, and turned down a side street off Highway 8" Whether you believe that is a 2 or 3 lane road, it is not clear from the image because the complete road and the angle can mislead this presumption. The only fact that is clear is the quoted detailed testimony of the manager, passing by on Hwy 8 and turning off a side street. To me, it makes sense to be traveling east away from the location and continuing the pattern of side streets. It demonstrates that they were very familiar with the path and the fastest way to go east. After the Exon station they may continue to go east or travel north along main roads or disappear within those neighborhoods. So, this may indicate it was a local not necessarily affiliated with the University community and very familiar with the area. Motive ? some exchange between the university students and locals potentially ? thoughts

Are we sure that we are looking at the same car? There could have been a few white cars driving around that night. I guess what’s confusing for me and why I think it may be two separate cars are the time stamps on the attachment. We are saying that the Hyundai Elantra was near the crime scene forty five minutes earlier, than the car is caught on CCTV at the gas station at 0345 and headed back to the murders scene? IMO, there were two separate white cars out that night that are not interconnected, possibly three with the marked police car on Taylor Ave. I don’t see a killer driving back to a crime scene that they had been to earlier that night. Something tells me that there was one separate white car caught on camera at the gas station at a later time and a second separate white vehicle seen near the crime scene earlier. That’s the only logical conclusion that I can come to.

Good ideas, but I’m 100% on the White Elantra.

It goes in and doesn’t come out Taylor - and no one comes forward in this small town to explain they were innocently driving by, and I can explain all that.

I think we’re going to find out they see it on King or Queen and that’s when they launched the Car hunt.

They said immediate area of residence.

Thanks

MOO.
So white car (Elantra) near the crime scene is important, while the white car at the gas station at 0345 is not related, yes?

Killers do not have to preform a sex act to get an arousal. Some killers are aroused by the act of killing itself, strangulation for example, others are aroused by the power they hold over taking a human life and yet others are aroused by the corpse itself. Just because there was no sex act preformed does not make this a non-sexual crime the perpetrator could have got sexual satisfaction out of this.
I don’t think this killer stayed and enjoyed his crime, but at first thought, I pictured a self gratification scenario. The more I read, the more I think this individual only had execution in mind, though. All unprofessional personal opinions.

The car seen on White near the gas station at 3:45 seemed to be traveling west towards 1122, not away from it.
ICBW but I personally don’t think that this vehicle is the one Moscow PD is looking for. For all we know, they have 10 or 15 videos of small, older, white vehicles from that night that they have retrieved or people have turned in.
We know about this one because the manager told the press who are stationed all over Moscow waiting like hungry dogs for any little crumb that might be tossed at them.
Yes. Foregoing the white car that officers arrived in at the band field, it was another white Elantra near the crime scene earlier that is important OR this white car at the gas station at 0345 driving westbound toward the crime scene that is important. They are mutually exclusive vehicles.

True. The Mobil station woman said that at 3:45 AM the vehicle, westbound on White Ave., turned onto Troy or Hwy 8, and then turned onto a side street. Police haven't released additional details.

However, the same possible car that was westbound on White Avenue at 3:45 AM was also westbound towards the murders at Linda Lane at 2:45-3:15 AM. That is 5 minutes from the murders.

Perhaps the first time the car was seen on CCTV was to commit the murders, the second time was to avoid detection and taking backroads after the murders?

View attachment 387932
Possibly assuming it was the same car.

they are referring to actual human fingerprints.
Former FBI science head Chris Piehota, described how the “image fingerprinting” technology could be used to examine the image of gang members who posted online, making gang signs with their hands.
I doubt that this is possible.
These must be extremely high resolution images then.
In special, individual cases it might be possible.

I, and most everyone, agree with your statement that "a car zipping around a college town in the middle of the night, on a weekend, is hardly suspicious." To me, that means MPD's interest in the car is not based on it zipping around in the middle of the night.
I agree, hopeful perhaps, but I have an inkling that there is a more fact driven reason for the public’s help in locating the car and inhabitants.

The car direction on White Ave. is disputed. Fox News clearly reports the car was traveling on HWY 8 when the photo was taken of a car at high speed. Fox quoted the night manager's testimony "The car drove by "real quick," she said, and turned down a side street off Highway 8" Whether you believe that is a 2 or 3 lane road, it is not clear from the image because the complete road and the angle can mislead this presumption. The only fact that is clear is the quoted detailed testimony of the manager, passing by on Hwy 8 and turning off a side street. To me, it makes sense to be traveling east away from the location and continuing the pattern of side streets. It demonstrates that they were very familiar with the path and the fastest way to go east. After the Exon station they may continue to go east or travel north along main roads or disappear within those neighborhoods. So, this may indicate it was a local not necessarily affiliated with the University community and very familiar with the area. Motive ? some exchange between the university students and locals potentially ? thoughts

Where the car was before or after, if involved or not will certainly be disputed until it is factually known and released
But…the location and direction of the car at the time of the photo is clear from Google Earth

Info from Google Earth near the address shown on news footage- address on door 802 Troy Rd
The car is sitting on White Ave north of the Mobile Food Mart
The car is facing west

Other info from the photo
The car is on a two lane road without a median
The car’s front is to the left, rear is to the right
The sidewalk behind the car is new concrete and wide
There is a sidewalk on the bottom, south, on the photo
It is night time
The car’s headlights are on
The car is a white sedan

Other info from the map
White Ave going west crosses under 802 Troy Rd (hwy 8) and becomes Styner Ave
Styner Ave ends to the wets when it intersects T’s at Walenta Ave
Walenta Ave to the right intersects Taylor just east of the house
Walenta Ave to the left wiggles back through the residential area and becomes the west end of Taylor

JMO

The whote car appears to be significant to th investigation based on the police wanting it but has anyone ruled out the possibility of the guy using a bike? Since there is still not POI and they have not confirmed any mode of transportation of the killer getting to and from the house, has all other modes been ruled out or are there possibilities that riding a bike as a means of transport. A bike would be easier to maneuver around city cameras. He might be able to ride through more wooded areas. Just wondering if this was a possibility or a conversation.
I thought about this too. Going on foot or riding a bike to where their car is located, but wasn’t it extremely cold and snowing? I’ve never lived in an area that gets this cold, would it be more suspicious to be on a bike during this time of year? Plus, what about shedding the clothes worn during the homicides- can’t ride a bike with those visibly on. I guess it was late in a small town and being seen wasn’t as much of a concern.

My gut is the guy knew he was taking great risks, and took them anyway.

I suspect he knew people were downstairs.

And he thought about his exit route before entering house.

Maybe he thought about where he would hide the car afterwards?

Just ideas
I agree with the notion that maybe the killer knew he was taking great risks but took them anyway. This mindset also bears similarity to the Sarah Everard case - she was abducted on a busy, well-lit main road at only around 10 PM. It seemed so risky that it didn’t make any sense at first. Ultimately it turned out that the killer had manipulated her into getting into his car because he was a policeman but anyone could’ve walked past at any point and indeed their interaction was caught on the camera of a passing bus. Maybe the compulsion became too much for the killer and it increased his risk appetite or he became less careful. It might be a case that he just simply got very lucky (with Sarah Everard - it could’ve taken police a lot longer had it not been for that bus passing at the exact right time). The police in this case also may well have a lot more information than they’ve shared so it might turn out the killer hasn’t been quite so lucky as it seems right now and indeed made some stupid decisions that will lead to him being caught - All MOO

Affair, stolen car but not by the murderer, drug dealer delivering, kids who took the car for a joy ride - I could go on. delivering newspapers, late for work or late night craving probably wouldn't qualify as reasons to avoid the police, but the ones I listed would be reasons. and the person would know that since they weren't the killer, it wouldn't matter so much (they'd rationalize it to avoid their own problem if found out). The point is that we don't live in a binary world where it either is or it isn't, and while it's not likely to have been one of the reasons I listed, it's possible imo.
Thank you

Affair, stolen car but not by the murderer, drug dealer delivering, kids who took the car for a joy ride - I could go on. delivering newspapers, late for work or late night craving probably wouldn't qualify as reasons to avoid the police, but the ones I listed would be reasons. and the person would know that since they weren't the killer, it wouldn't matter so much (they'd rationalize it to avoid their own problem if found out). The point is that we don't live in a binary world where it either is or it isn't, and while it's not likely to have been one of the reasons I listed, it's possible imo.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member