ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious if there were any Amazon echo devices in the rooms or house. I feel like these are pretty common and they often record audio that was not intended for Alexa. They store the voice history and you can also listen to those recordings that are recorded in error. I guess it’s something we would never know, but it’s something I would definitely look for in hopes something may have been caught from that night.

I’m curious if there were any Amazon echo devices in the rooms or house. I feel like these are pretty common and they often record audio that was not intended for Alexa. They store the voice history and you can also listen to those recordings that are recorded in error. I guess it’s something we would never know, but it’s something I would definitely look for in hopes something may have been caught from that night.
Mine has come on a few times when it thought I said “Alexa” but didn’t.
It’s been used in cases many times all over the country, at least since 2016.
They can get a warrant for the cloud data from Amazon.
If Alexa is relevant, I think we will know by the time of arrest or trial.

Judge: Alexa, testify about these murders.

Experts weigh in on how Amazon Alexa device could assist police in KCMO homicide case

“..smart devices can record words or even movement.”

“Then there is going to be a record of possible doors opening and closing,” Bernard said. “ Locks opening and unlocking, there could be times that they discover where the light has been turned off, turned on, the heating adjusted, so theres a lot of that they could recover.”

“With the Alexa device, you have the option to configure your device to help you out in emergency situations,” Kelso said. “You can configure your Alexa device to alert when there is breaking glass, or any incident that could sound like you need to have the incident recorded.”

[edited to 10%]

Last edited:
Bringing over from end of last thread....about M & K calling J at 2:30 am. Many feel they would have absolutely called 911 if scared. Other thoughts:

Just 2 thoughts.....
#1-WE might always call 911...but who did the surviving roommates call FIRST? When you're that age and freaked out...chances are you're calling mom/dad....or if at 2:00 am....probably a friend first And MOO is that it's very possible M had already crashed out....so K made a few calls from M's number to see if she'd get a response

#2 - I'd" say there are 2 main categories of "911-dialers".....some people feel fairly comfortable doing it and have in several instances over their lifetime. Lots of people are NERVOUS about it (like: I don't want to bother them....it's probably just my imagination....some feel they may potentially make a situation worse by involving the police (ie. getting a friend or family member in trouble....and they want advice/guidance/reassurance on what to do. This DOES track with they way K's sister A described that K would often call just to ask....what should I eat today?

Side note: I'm a daughter of a 30yr police SGT in Chicago. I was home alone in my first house...and someone came to the door selling something (some product, whatever) and it was pitch dark outside. Was trying to be polite, like, Yeah, I'll check with my husband....guy says: Oh I can wait, why don't you go ask him.....No, he's asleep right now (didn't want to admit I was alone)....Then I get him to leave....and realize there's no car in my driveway or in front of the house.....WEIRD....how did he get here? Got a very creepy vibe and was SCARED as he walked across my lawn to....who knows where? But instead of 911 (cause I thought I'd sound like a silly 25 year old) - I called my dad. He was not too happy...."Hang up with me and call 911 - it's not silly, it's THEIR JOB!!" Never happened again, but I needed a push to do it.

Respectfully, these girls could have been not quite sober, but Maddie was a straight A student, as her obituary says, and Kaylee, too, was very smart and popular, landed a good job. They would have called 911, I am sure.

The roommates downstairs might have been a different situation. We don’t know what they drank, with whom they partied, if they did. I can imagine them being very soundly asleep. We don’t know the lifestyle of the basement, nor whom they called, and how they interpreted the situation. Between “someone has passed in a party house” in the morning and (if) M@K hearing the sounds of a “battle downstairs”, using the words of K’s dad, there was a huge difference in expected reaction. So I can imagine the 3d floor being attacked, then the 2nd, or perhaps both simultaneously, but probably, K@M as well as X@E were asleep at that time.

To imagine a perpetrator one must return to the primal scene: the execution of the crime, the sheer personal brutality. Something which began as a threat and spun out of control, angering the knifesman beyond measure, mid- -- mid-threat, let us say? Or random insanity? Or the old standby -- an affair of the heart gone wrong?

your specific words bring up a thought. I have no idea if it has been discussed.
"one must return to the primal scene".
I do wonder if LE has installed a series of video cameras in critical areas around the campus.... obviously, including video from inside the house facing out..
criminals are said to return to the scene of the crime.....

considering the amount of public scrutiny of the housemates' social media accounts, you'd think that by now somebody would have found a photo with something caught in the background or a reference to say, an Alexa.

It's a bit like the Apple Watch talk - references to that possibility recur on these threads but nobody seems to have spotted one of the four wearing one..... unless I missed it

Bringing over from end of last thread....about M & K calling J at 2:30 am. Many feel they would have absolutely called 911 if scared. Other thoughts:

Just 2 thoughts.....
#1-WE might always call 911...but who did the surviving roommates call FIRST? When you're that age and freaked out...chances are you're calling mom/dad....or if at 2:00 am....probably a friend first And MOO is that it's very possible M had already crashed out....so K made a few calls from M's number to see if she'd get a response

#2 - I'd" say there are 2 main categories of "911-dialers".....some people feel fairly comfortable doing it and have in several instances over their lifetime. Lots of people are NERVOUS about it (like: I don't want to bother them....it's probably just my imagination....some feel they may potentially make a situation worse by involving the police (ie. getting a friend or family member in trouble....and they want advice/guidance/reassurance on what to do. This DOES track with they way K's sister A described that K would often call just to ask....what should I eat today?

Side note: I'm a daughter of a 30yr police SGT in Chicago. I was home alone in my first house...and someone came to the door selling something (some product, whatever) and it was pitch dark outside. Was trying to be polite, like, Yeah, I'll check with my husband....guy says: Oh I can wait, why don't you go ask him.....No, he's asleep right now (didn't want to admit I was alone)....Then I get him to leave....and realize there's no car in my driveway or in front of the house.....WEIRD....how did he get here? Got a very creepy vibe and was SCARED as he walked across my lawn to....who knows where? But instead of 911 (cause I thought I'd sound like a silly 25 year old) - I called my dad. He was not too happy...."Hang up with me and call 911 - it's not silly, it's THEIR JOB!!" Never happened again, but I needed a push to do it.
just re bit in bold

In reference to Alivea Goncalves' comments about those calls/texts to Jack & Steve's comments on the family guessing Kaylee's passwords or ' hacking her phone' & 'shared family passwords' as he's already mentioned and the Goncalves saying that ' Jack is with us now' don't you think the Goncalves already checked out the nature of the content of the contacts with Jack?

Genetic genealogy works wonders now, if they have any DNA that they believe came from the killer. It won’t matter that he isn’t in CODIS.

LE tends to do that after other leads are exhausted, though
Yup you’re 100% on the money. I’ve been saying for weeks now how genotype has proved crucial in many murders. I too believe genealogy websites will help solve this case.

GEDMatch, 23 and me, ancestry.com etc. all great websites for law enforcement to use

And this, too:

Isn't it a tad early to begin to talk about this being a possible unsolved case? GMAB-- and what about that sentence in that article that SG is considering taking legal action against the police? that is absurd. I don't know if this police department is up to the task of solving the case or not, I hope they are, but they do have help from the FBI- so there is reason to be hopeful. It has only been one month since the horrific murders. Solving a complicated murder case isn't like Law and Order, solved quickly--- <modsnip> They need to be given the chance to solve this case without all of the criticism and skepticism. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I've forgotten if it has been mentioned, but was the sliding door unlocked that the murderer came in off the kitchen? I seem to recall there was no sign of forced entry.
LE said no sign of forced entry and a door was open when they arrived. Did not specify which door or whether open meant unlocked, ajar or wide open.

Replying to myself...lol
My first impression is that this person does not fit the profile of our killer. Use of gun, barricaded themselves in.
This does not sound like a cool, masochistic killer. IMO.
This has to be rough on the students in the area. Incident appears to be over, and I would guess unrelated.

I think over a 26 minute period, they would have tried to call someone else if that was the case. It really makes no sense to only call J if they were concerned about something. IMO, they would have tried to call the other 4 roommates in the house, other friends, neighbors, family, 911, etc.
Would it be possible that the girls went to different bedrooms at first. K started drunk dialing Ex but he did not answer after several tries she goes over to M room to see if they could call from Ms phone. They start talking and pass out together. The dog is still in Ks room and the girls are in Ms room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms