ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
K's dad is upset about clearing "guy at food truck" a week into the investigation at a press conference, and then not telling him his alibi. Since the events are related to a major university, many believe LE was pressured by University and high powered people in the community to clear HG. I see no reason to publicly clear people and say they are not related.

MOO

I see a reason. A huge reason. They announced at the same time that a number of people were not suspected at that time. There’s no way that they could all be guilty, so not many decent people would feel comfortable about destroying the lives of the innocent ones.

As for alibis—I think it’d be outrageous to hand out alibis to non-LE. It’d be detrimental to working on the case, I believe, too.

MOO

K's dad is upset about clearing "guy at food truck" a week into the investigation at a press conference, and then not telling him his alibi. Since the events are related to a major university, many believe LE was pressured by University and high powered people in the community to clear HG. I see no reason to publicly clear people and say they are not related.
Regarding LE not telling K's dad about the "guy at the food trucks" alibi, or any other family member: They are not entitled to know it, and LE are not entitled to tell anyone outside of the investigation about anyone's whereabouts during an investigation. If the "guy at the food truck" is brought to trial, then the alibi becomes public. Not before.

"This person went in very methodical," Kristi Goncalves said. "I think he really thought it out. I think he was quick, I think it was quiet. And he got in and he got out."

Kristi Goncalves said her family has not heard from the surviving roommates since the murders.

"They're victims, as well. And I'm sure they're terrified," she said.

Police urge anyone with information to upload digital media to fbi.gov/moscowidaho or contact the tip line at tipline@ci.moscow.id.us or 208-883-7180.

Meanwhile, Kaylee and Madison Mogen's families are planning a joint celebration of life for the two best friends on Dec. 30, where they will share "happy memories," Kristi Goncalves said.

Steve Goncalves is looking forward to hearing stories he's never heard from their friends.

"They had really positive, good lives, and that's the message we want," he said.
My thoughts precisely. No words spoken. Little to no noise aside from a couple moments of struggling to eliminate any possible threat. Structured, disciplined, and regulated. In and out. He was there for one purpose, once it was satisfied, he was gone. As I wrote in an earlier post, he’s a planner. He visualized what he was going to do (to a degree, as variables always change the field) and then simply followed through. Psychosomatics. He is also possibly very rigid and uptight. But he wasn’t there to chat, visit, steal, rape, or assault the foursome. He was there with the pure intent to kill. Someone this disciplined, has more than likely killed before. I believe the dog was already placed in a room by one of the girls or other housemates. The killer would have eliminated Murphy as well - if not for that small miracle. JMOO

It’s kind of interesting they weren’t asked or notified about the car first to me. It is actually insightful to me. They could have asked the family if THEY KNEW ANYONE that drove this vehicle. But, the did not. I’m not saying that was the right or wrong thing to do, I just think it could tell us that they knew they were looking for someone unknown to the family.

Yes... to me as well, this is a mistake. All families should have been asked before the public announcement. And all neighbors too.

But I do remain questioning the White Hyundai. Are there millions of these?
Though it is a daunting task, I would think that there are ways to get all that data relatively quickly. Am i really naive on this one???

I wish Dad would realize that families could be suspects too...and that's why they don't give information to them. It's not that complicated.

Question for anyone who has experience with/is familiar with the intricacies of LE - victim's family communication / sharing of details in an ongoing investigation ("OldCop" maybe?):

Would LE typically tell the victim's family members (in this case 4 families) what someone's alibi was "early on" in an investigation during the process of vetting multiple potential suspects?

Just curious, really, what would be a reasonable level of detail for LE to divulge to the families, and if it might depend on the family's preference?

TIA

Regarding LE not telling K's dad about the "guy at the food trucks" alibi, or any other family member: They are not entitled to know it, and LE are not entitled to tell anyone outside of the investigation about anyone's whereabouts during an investigation. If the "guy at the food truck" is brought to trial, then the alibi becomes public. Not before.

Exactly, just because you are family of victims doesn't give you authority to know the workings of LE. Does it suck? Yes, but the integrity of the investigation is more important. They want to catch someone but also convict them. If they also don't have a suspect, then it could be anyone including family or someone known to the family. They aren't going to give information to them so it can get out to everyone and the media.

Again, for the umpteenth time, NO ONE has been cleared by LE. In their daily briefings, which are issued regularly, and amended as needed, they state...

At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the following are involved in this crime: • Two surviving roommates, • Male in the Grub Truck surveillance video, • Private party driver who took Kaylee and Madison home on November 13th, • The male Kaylee and Madison called numerous times during the early morning hours of November 13th, • Any individual at the residence when 911 was called, or • The individual on the lease who moved out of the residence before the school year started and was not present at the time of the incident.

LE have stated that those believed not involved may be re-interviewed, and have since stated that some have been, though we do not know who or how many. And finally, my heart truly goes out to Mr Goncalves, but Moscow PD is not going to tell him what the food truck guy's alibi is, nor should they, nor would any other LE agency. What his alibi is does not matter. What matters is that he had one that LE have, for at least the time being, are accepting. And finally, I think the thought that LE, local OR especially FBI, would clear a potential suspect, merely to keep the local university happy, is ridiculous.
JMO

God forbid to be in the relatives’ place, but the families are getting information from the same multiple (questionable) sources as we do. It can’t be otherwise in such cases, though. With all rumors and everything else. I think SG wants to be merely sure that the murderer is not left unnoticed in the process of investigation, for whatever reason.
I respect that you have your opinion.

IMO I don't see the connection, though.

I would think that conversely, it would be to the University's gain if the killer is caught and imprisoned.

Right now there must be many high school seniors who are rethinking whether they wish to attend the U of I while these killings remain unsolved. Many parents or guardians who may be hesitating in allowing their children to go there, as well.

It's true that the U of I is likely the largest employer in that small town, but the students who were murdered were legal adults who chose to live OFF campus. What happens OFF campus to adults is not, IMO, the fault or responsibility of the Uni as it would be if something happened ON campus.

The only way I could imagine the Uni at fault or in a bad light is if the killer is a professor or other employee of the university who either did not have a background check, successfully passed a background check, or exhibited troublesome signs but remained employed there. Or a fellow student who exhibited a tendency to violence and was not expelled.

Jmo

The Uni will take the flak either way, if the killer is a student. Human nature to find the guilty ones. But, universities have the capacity to make changes, work with investors, with the public, show the change they made.

Nothing minimally comparable to the situation with the killer potentially living in town, and the parents choosing the school for their children to go to next year, though.

Also, everyone currently in public view is not in a good situation, either. They may have own problems, be far from upstanding citizens, either, but if they are uninvolved in killings, their names need to be cleared, and it happens only when the case is closed.

It’d be detrimental to working on the case, I believe, too.
Not only detrimental but also a serious safety concern. Given all of the people who are trying to dox and threaten people connected to the case, I can only imagine what would happen if random people's alibis are released and the internet decides they're guilty anyway. MOO

Here we are- getting to nearly 1 month post murders with very little idea of who did it, how they did it and why.
I recently watched ' The Vatican Girl" on netflix and its makes me wonder, after following true crime for a while- who has the most to loose if they find the killer?
I think- and this is only my opinion, the people who loose the most from catching the perp is the University of Idaho.
Its a well known fact that is small towns, the LE are obliged to the big businesses/institutions in the town- as these organizations are their benefactors. This crime when unraveled may put the U of I in a bad light and as a result we may never find the perp if the Uni has been implicated in some way.
The fact that LE were trying to establish the timeline of E and X makes me wonder again about the frat party they attended and the fact that we have nobody talking about anything- usually I would have expected someone to come forward and say " hey I ran into E & X at the party and they were so happy etc.." but we have complete silence. This is something we cannot overlook. In this present day, the fact that no one has seen anything makes me feel that its not that no one saw anything, but no one wants to talk.
The fact that K's family were the only ones speaking out for more information from LE, makes me wonder-why the families of the other 3 children have not been as vocal.

Could it be that the intended victim was not K but one of the other 3.

Do the families of the other 3 victims understand the reasoning behind the crime and probably even know who may have done it and that is why they are patiently waiting for LE to gather the evidence for an arrest.

Perhaps sadly K was just collateral damage.

Was there some unmentionable activities going on amongst the students- something that the U of I were aware of and did nothing about?

Whoever did this had a lot of anger towards one or more of the victims and this is not something that has happened overtime. It will be good to check and see which one of their friends have deleted their social media accounts recently. It would be good to look at the fraternity FB page as well.
I would say the University has a very very vested interest in getting this crime solved as quickly as possible. Having it unsolved is a disaster to the University.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

... the university's president was surely trying to do damage control in his statement, but I do think it was important for people to know that the crime did, in fact, take place in off-campus housing. The university has no control over off-campus housing, or what may have gone on there, and are not liable.

And I would suggest it is a huge leap to think that, because he attempted to perhaps alleviate some of the terror that on-campus residents were surely feeling, that he could or would, try to alter any investigation, in an effort to cast the university in a more positive light. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, just because you are family of victims doesn't give you authority to know the workings of LE. Does it suck? Yes, but the integrity of the investigation is more important. They want to catch someone but also convict them. If they also don't have a suspect, then it could be anyone including family or someone known to the family. They aren't going to give information to them so it can get out to everyone and the media.
Yes, and if I am questioned by police about something, it doesn't give them the right to disclose my personal information to anyone outside any investigation that may be going on. I don't get why basic rights aren't understood.

Question for anyone who has experience with/is familiar with the intricacies of LE - victim's family communication / sharing of details in an ongoing investigation ("OldCop" maybe?):

Would LE typically tell the victim's family members (in this case 4 families) what someone's alibi was "early on" in an investigation during the process of vetting multiple potential suspects?

Just curious, really, what would be a reasonable level of detail for LE to divulge to the families, and if it might depend on the family's preference?

TIA
I think it is very case specific and fact specific. If the police see the hoodie guy on camera somewhere else at the time of the murder, they may tell the family that. But if hoodie guy talks to police and says "hey me and my gf were in bed at that time, and here is the proof" I think LE just tells the family, "we have determined hoodie guy was somewhere else at the time. Victim family isn't entitled to know that person's private details.

Skipping some pages here so I don't forget my thoughts (all MOO):

1. I keep reading in various MSM this was a "crime of passion", yet it seems much more planned and calculated (I do believe general thought is currently swinging this way as well). Are there any resources/reports describing the actual crime scene(s) at all? I do recall they were all in bed (but I've read a couple of times about a body - E? - on the floor in some pictures)? My thought: the killer definitely knew the house, knew the layout, knew the people, knew they were all in bed, knew a LOT and felt comfortable doing this (I know this isn't a completely original thought).

2. Are there any reports of any type of sexual assault? If one of the girls was the potential intended victim and this was part of a fantasy, I would think simply killing her wouldn't satisfy that urge (although the method, stabbing with a knife, may be some sort of sick metaphor/replacement for a sexual assault).

3. Tacking on to #1 above - IF the killer did, in fact, know the house and the layout and all the specifics, it strikes me as odd that the lower level was untouched. So, there's just as much possibility this was more random than we may originally think (and I know this contradicts my other point/question!). But also...based on the activity that night outside, and the lack of a lot of evidence (that we know of) on this person(s) traveling to/from the house, etc., they may be familiar with the surrounding area as well.

4. Someone mentioned it earlier - but I don't recall reading anything about the potential order in which the roommates were killed. Were two killed earlier and then the killer laid in wait? Was this a "raid" type of attack where 2-4 people came into the house at once, split up, and went to where the targets were? I know this might be tough due to timing of when the bodies were found and I can't imagine they could figure that out, but maybe something from the scene and/or a reconstruction would aid in that.

/randomthoughtsmyopinions

Yes... to me as well, this is a mistake. All families should have been asked before the public announcement. And all neighbors too.

But I do remain questioning the White Hyundai. Are there millions of these?
Though it is a daunting task, I would think that there are ways to get all that data relatively quickly. Am i really naive on this one???
I don't know how hard that is. I can only refer to the Elizabeth Barraza case I follow here on websleuths. There is a video of the truck, the actual shooting, and the person doing the shooting and there is still no arrest.

. It’s so quiet over there. Strange no one isctalkingHere we are- getting to nearly 1 month post murders with very little idea of who did it, how they did it and why.
I recently watched ' The Vatican Girl" on netflix and its makes me wonder, after following true crime for a while- who has the most to loose if they find the killer?
I think- and this is only my opinion, the people who loose the most from catching the perp is the University of Idaho.
Its a well known fact that is small towns, the LE are obliged to the big businesses/institutions in the town- as these organizations are their benefactors. This crime when unraveled may put the U of I in a bad light and as a result we may never find the perp if the Uni has been implicated in some way.
The fact that LE were trying to establish the timeline of E and X makes me wonder again about the frat party they attended and the fact that we have nobody talking about anything- usually I would have expected someone to come forward and say " hey I ran into E & X at the party and they were so happy etc.." but we have complete silence. This is something we cannot overlook. In this present day, the fact that no one has seen anything makes me feel that its not that no one saw anything, but no one wants to talk.
The fact that K's family were the only ones speaking out for more information from LE, makes me wonder-why the families of the other 3 children have not been as vocal.

Do the families of the other 3 victims understand the reasoning behind the crime and probably even know who may have done it and that is why they are patiently waiting for LE to gather the evidence for an arrest.

Was there some unmentionable activities going on amongst the students- something that the U of I were aware of and did nothing about?

Whoever did this had a lot of anger towards one or more of the victims and this is not something that has happened overtime. It will be good to check and see which one of their friends have deleted their social media accounts recently. It would be good to look at the fraternity FB page as well.
Agree
Here we are- getting to nearly 1 month post murders with very little idea of who did it, how they did it and why.

i agree with this and whatever happened at frat party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member