ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some were in bed, other(s) weren't.

"Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate."

The official police statement says that all four were likely attacked while they slept.

Last edited:
Let me offer you another plausible theory. It was not about killing four people or everyone in the house. It was all about killing one person and person 2, 3 and 4 were just between the killer and his exit and the intended victim. Or that the person was trying to kill one person and they were not home and all four were just between the killer and where he thought his intended target was.
I struggle with that idea, because the victims were in different rooms on two different floors. Let's say the killer didn't know what room his/her intended target was in. That suggests they just kept killing people until they found the victim they really wanted to kill. Assuming this person has not killed multiple people in their past, I have a very hard time seeing murderous passion against one person being sustained through the murder of three unplanned or "unnecessary" victims.

I’m thinking with 22,000 to eliminate there must be something unique about this white Elantra that they are looking for but have not shared?
Does it have a unique sticker, dent, tires?

How else could they eliminate any of them?
Location- In a month the killer could drive from coast to coast. Killer could be in Maine and car at the bottom of a lake.
Registration- Killer is not from ID, car registered to parents, or the killer travels for work?
Age range- Grandma could own the Elantra and killer borrowed it.

Call people up?
PD: Hey was your Elantra in Moscow Idaho on the night of Nov 12-13?
Owner: No.

What are their options other than relying the public to say, I know someone who lives in Moscow and drives a white Elantra.

JMO
That LE has not shared any actual photos of the Elantra tells me there is something distinctive about this vehicle which could be removed or altered by the killer. However, I believe this was a stolen car and it will turn up abandoned somewhere.

A hell of a battle confined to a small bedroom? But, died in their sleep? Defensive wounds? Dad says Kaylee and Maddie were killed in their bed. Coroner says "some" victims were killed in their beds. So, which ones weren't killed in their beds. The killer had a hell of a battle with the second floor victims, and THEN went up to the third floor?

"Although the coroner told Goncalves that the victims died quickly and did not suffer, he said he's not convinced.

Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said. "

That LE has not shared any actual photos of the Elantra tells me there is something distinctive about this vehicle which could be removed or altered by the killer. However, I believe this was a stolen car and it will turn up abandoned somewhere.
Perhaps what's distinct about the actual image LE has is that a driver and/or passenger(s) are visible. I'm speculating that presence of one of the car's occupants in the car at the time of the LE image is going to bust that occupant's time line or alibi.

When you move states, should you change the plate on the car to match your new state of residence?

I'm not from the USA, my apologies.
If the license plates are not expired, you return them to the motor vehicle department of the state they belong to because they are property of the state. If plates are expired, then you destroy them. Also, if you buy a new vehicle, your old plates should be destroyed and you get insurance and then request new plates for your new vehicle. You can only get a new license plate for your new state when you have insurance. So you need to change your insurance first, then order new plates with your proof of insurance and finally return your old plates to your old state once you get new plates. Each state has their own laws in regards to how long you have to get insurance and new plates. In Texas, for example, you have 30 days from the date you moved to Texas to get insurance and get new plates.

I could not agree more: last night on Banfield, she said "is this case going cold?"
Seriously? we are society that expects instant results for everything. You cannot call a case cold that is what, 6 weeks old? GMAB.
A cold case doesn’t have over 15,000 tips being sorted through and over 100 LE personnel assigned with a million dollars dedicated to solving it.
Once a case is labeled cold due to exhausting all leads, funding drops and usually only one or two detectives handle all the cold cases for a department, even in a major city.

If the license plates are not expired, you return them to the motor vehicle department of the state they belong to because they are property of the state. If plates are expired, then you destroy them. Also, if you buy a new vehicle, your old plates should be destroyed and you get insurance and then request new plates for your new vehicle. You can only get a new license plate for your new state when you have insurance. So you need to change your insurance first, then order new plates with your proof of insurance and finally return your old plates to your old state once you get new plates. Each state has their own laws in regards to how long you have to get insurance and new plates. In Texas, for example, you have 30 days from the date you moved to Texas to get insurance and get new plates.
In Vermont one has 60 days after moving to the state to register their vehicle per state statute. I can tell you this is not done all the time. I have neighbors who have lived here for well over a year, some much longer than that, whose cars still have plates from the state they used to live. These aren't renters, these are people who have bought their homes, so presumably planning on living here for the foreseeable future. As far as I can see, that's the law, but there really isn't any motivation or resources (primarily personnel time) for LE or the DMV to do any kind of enforcement.

Given that the police put out a statement saying all four were likely attacked in their sleep, if in reality at least one was found outside of the bedroom, then that is one extraordinary discrepancy.
I think DailyMail says on the floor. Well, that's what I have been trying to tell people, to justify my opinion that the target girl was on the 3rd floor, killer unexpectedly has to kill the 2 because they are in the same bed and while coming down to second floor encounters a puzzled Ethan. Noisily kills quite large framed Ethan,which draws Xana out. He kills her, while she gets defensive wounds. Killer probably shoved them both back into the room with one or both bleeding out above the red substance. Or, he leaves Ethan in the hall. Which is why IMO that 911 call with several people speaking to the operator was referencing far more than someone not answering their phone, behind a closed door. They HAD to see blood, imo.

Anyway. targeting a "house" and purposely killing so many people doesn't make as much sense to me as does having just one target and ending up the way it did with 4 dead.

In addition, imo EC and XK would have had their door locked. If they were killed first, really we believe that the killer figured out how to open the door, had a "hell of a battle" with them, and THEN went upstairs?

All of this is my opinion, clearly identified as such.

Imo jmo, etc

Last edited:
A hell of a battle confined to a small bedroom? But, died in their sleep? Defensive wounds? Dad says Kaylee and Maddie were killed in their bed. Coroner says "some" victims were killed in their beds. So, which ones weren't killed in their beds. The killer had a hell of a battle with the second floor victims, and THEN went up to the third floor?

"Although the coroner told Goncalves that the victims died quickly and did not suffer, he said he's not convinced.

Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said. "

Does this not sort of confirm the order of killings. K and M were caught unaware, in their sleep. During the stabbing, E and X wake up and are thus more prepared.

I think DailyMail says on the floor. Well, that's what I have been trying to tell people, to justify my opinion that the target girl was on the 3rd floor, killer unexpectedly has to kill the 2 because they are in the same bed and while coming down to second floor encounters a puzzled Ethan. Noisily kills quite large framed Ethan,which draws Xana out. He kills her, while she gets defensive wounds. Killer probably shoved them both back into the room with one or both bleeding out above the red substance. Or, he leaves Ethan in the hall. Which is why IMO that 911 call with several people speaking to the operator was referencing far more than someone not answering their phone, behind a closed door. They HAD to see blood, imo.

Anyway. targeting a "house" and purposely killing so many people doesn't make as much sense to me as does having just one target and ending up the way it did with 4 dead.

In addition, imo EC and XK would have had their door locked. If they were killed first, really we believe that the killer figured out how to open the door, had a "hell of a battle" with them, and THEN went upstairs?

All of this is my opinion, clearly identified as such. And I am not making "bold claims".

Imo jmo, etc
It makes more sense if you believe the motivation was simply to commit murder - not to target an individual because of something they’d done, said or knew.

I can’t understand this: What would be the reason Police Chief Fry “would not confirm the caller’s identity” after saying that the 911 call was made using one of the surviving roommate’s phones?

I’m sorry if this is old news, but I’m sort of going “back to the beginning” in this case. Why would LE want to protect the identity of the person making the call? Is this routine? Afraid the killer might come back for her? That doesn’t really wash with me, as the killer would really only care if there were witnesses, not who called it in, right? What other reasons would there be?
Social media hoards doxxing them, their families, and their friends list, as has already happened to pretty much every name close to this case that is public.
What would be a good reason to release that information publicly, anyway?

All of this is my opinion, clearly identified as such.

Imo jmo, etc
Agreed!! ...imo also

It makes more sense if you believe the motivation was simply to commit murder - not to target an individual because of something they’d done, said or knew.
IMO the killer, entered through the sliding door when no one was home and waited for his prey. This is exactly what a death row inmate contributed to media and surmised. Survivors were not his target. Unknown who was but either K or M. Probably E heard something, moved to investigate, which led to his and X's murders.

Does this not sort of confirm the order of killings. K and M were caught unaware, in their sleep. During the stabbing, E and X wake up and are thus more prepared.

I don't think it can confirm it
one source is hearsay - Steve's interpretation ( a grieving father) vs what the Coroner actually said to him( who knows?)
the other source appears to have started on a US social media/ discussion website - as a speculative theory and then got aired thousands of times on Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arabella29