ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m lost - How is it clear that E wasn’t killed in his bed?
Because he didn’t actually live in the house, HIS bed was somewhere else, he was in his girlfriend’s bed. It’s actually not as important an issue as K and M being in the same bed as far as a motive clue as it was probably a usual situation for him, but it is technically correct that he was not in his bed.

I think all LE had said is that the victims were on floors 2 & 3. Even all the statements as to which bedroom belongs to which victim is all speculation. MOO
Thank you Pancake. I’ve been looking, I can’t find any confirmation that both survivors were sleeping on the first floor. The September noise complaint body cam footage shows one of the 1st floor rooms being used as storage. This opens up new possibilities: What if one of the survivors was sleeping in the other 2nd floor bedroom. Why was she spared? Why wasn’t she a target?

MOO

I don't think so, but geez, how could he/they be out of bed yet asleep? I can halfway buy that a corpse lying composed on a bed without any sign of movement could be termed "killed while asleep", but how could the coroner assess that in reverse? Someone dead, not found in their bed was killed while asleep?
Attacked while they were asleep but woke up and managed to get out of bed to defend themselves but succumbed to their injuries elsewhere?

Not seeing what? I just said that the police report states that they were ‘likely asleep’, which it does.
Here is what you said:

“The official police statement says that all four were likely attacked while they slept

Do you not see how that is different from what both the coroner and the MPD actually said? That they were likely asleep (presumably when the attack began) is very different from being attacked while they slept, particularly if they were all not found in their beds. Some were attacked while they slept. Not all four.

And since the surviving roommates had friends either en route to or at the house when the 911 call was made, all that's going to do is further wild speculation for people who were legit trying to help their traumatized friends.

People asked for years why the full Delphi video/audio that Libby took on her phone wasn't released and kept insisting it was the "key to solving the case". As it turns out, Libby's family heard the full audio and said the parts released were the only ones that were relevant to assisting in helping catch BG.

Same premise here. If the 911 call and information reported therein isn't relevant to getting the public's help in finding who did this, then there's no reason to release it right now other than to satisfy morbid curiosity of internet sleuths and podcasters and give them something else to pick apart and speculate on. I have no idea what could possibly be said on the 911 call that would help the public make a connection that says "Aha - [X] did it!" and provide enough info in a tip to help LE.

Agree, and not at all a popular opinion in any true crime forum. My guess is seasoned victims and families of violent crimes who have had their day in court Get it.

The public’s demands can‘t be appeased, trying risks justice being stolen from victims.

JMO

MPD Press Log 12/20/2022

22-M10972 Civil Calls
Incident Address : W 3RD ST; The Storage Spot
MOSCOW ID 83843
Disposition : CLO
Time Reported: 14:33
Cad Comments:
Officer responded. No report.

22-M10973 VIN Number Inspection
Incident Address : N VAN BUREN ST; City Shop
MOSCOW ID 83843
Disposition : CLO
Time Reported: 15:00
Cad Comments:
Officer requested case. No report.

Because he didn’t actually live in the house, HIS bed was somewhere else, he was in his girlfriend’s bed. It’s actually not as important an issue as K and M being in the same bed as far as a motive clue as it was probably a usual situation for him, but it is technically correct that he was not in his bed.
Yes. The same with Kaylee not being in her bed. I believe that’s why the coroner changed her statement from all to some being in their beds.

I don't think so, but geez, how could he/they be out of bed yet asleep? I can halfway buy that a corpse lying composed on a bed without any sign of movement could be termed "killed while asleep", but how could the coroner assess that in reverse? Someone dead, not found in their bed was killed while asleep?
It is possible one or more of the victims rolled or fell out of bed onto the floor during or after the attack. MOO

It feels that way, doesn’t it? I’d love to believe that the police know a lot more than they’ve revealed and are quietly building a case, but I get the impression that they have no idea who did this and why.
LE are investigating a quadruple murder case, not filming a tv show, where ratings determine their success. Respectfully, they don't have time to worry about how we, the uninformed public, the majority of whom probably do not even live in their state, much less their community, would judge their performance. Also, whether they know "why" or not is ultimately of little importance, as motive does not have to be proven, but I am confident that they will learn "who", if they have not already, and will bring the killer to justice. And again, LE ALWAYS know a lot more than they tell, while an investigation is ongoing. They are going to try their case in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. JMO

Last edited:
Attacked while they were asleep but woke up and managed to get out of bed to defend themselves but succumbed to their injuries elsewhere?

Maybe so. But it's not part of my imagining a "hell of a battle". How would the coroner know that they were attacked while they slept if they weren't in the bed at the end? Maybe Xana was wide awake petrified, but still in bed when attacked? Ie not asleep.

I can’t understand this: What would be the reason Police Chief Fry “would not confirm the caller’s identity” after saying that the 911 call was made using one of the surviving roommate’s phones?

I’m sorry if this is old news, but I’m sort of going “back to the beginning” in this case. Why would LE want to protect the identity of the person making the call? Is this routine? Afraid the killer might come back for her? That doesn’t really wash with me, as the killer would really only care if there were witnesses, not who called it in, right? What other reasons would there be?
Maybe to prevent them from being hunted down by MSM?

i know we talked about this before, I just don't put any validity to the use of "their" in the context of that sentence. She meant, imo, some were killed/not killed "in beds". The coroner, imo, does not seem to use precise descriptive language.
This is pretty precise:
Banfield: Can you tell me, when you said that they might have been sleeping, were they found in beds?
Mabbutt: Uhm, yes.

Source

Maybe so. But it's not part of my imagining a "hell of a battle". How would the coroner know that they were attacked while they slept if they weren't in the bed at the end? Maybe Xana was wide awake petrified, but still in bed when attacked? Ie not asleep.
Blood patterns?

A hell of a battle confined to a small bedroom? But, died in their sleep? Defensive wounds? Dad says Kaylee and Maddie were killed in their bed. Coroner says "some" victims were killed in their beds. So, which ones weren't killed in their beds. The killer had a hell of a battle with the second floor victims, and THEN went up to the third floor?

"Although the coroner told Goncalves that the victims died quickly and did not suffer, he said he's not convinced.

Kernodle, who had defensive wounds, and Chapin were found on the second floor of 1122 King Road. "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us," Goncalves said. "

Yet no one heard anything? Hmm. Sorry but I’ve always thought that was strange-both because of the others at home AND because it was an “unusually quiet night”. Clearly people were awake and about (per police body cams footage) and there were other houses close to theirs. I hope they know a lot more than they are letting on. Any one of those people out and about at that time of night could have been his/their victims instead of these 4 if this was someone looking for s thrill kill.

I also wonder if it was more than one person.

Outside of SG relaying that information has there been any other mention of a "hell of a battle?"

This is pretty precise:
Banfield: Can you tell me, when you said that they might have been sleeping, were they found in beds?
Mabbutt: Uhm, yes.

Source
Date of your link is 11/17. Date of link from poster you quoted 11/19. Snippet from link in poster you quoted:

“Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reporter-C.Lin