ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to beat this more, but the thread closed.

If they didn't already have their weapon or didn't want to part with their own, nor have it traced back somehow, then hopefully they were a dumb criminal, and yes, went to Wally. They have the best security cameras in the U.S. I do believe.

Wally's are notorious for catering to their regions.

Moscow ID.

Fixed blade knife, serrated, with handguard.

Moscow ID Walmart Link to Knives. Moscow Walmart - Serrated Fixed Blade

In Clarkston WA Wally - Fixed Blade Serrated
Again, Sold and shipped by PhotoSavings
Those are not in the stores.

Also again, there is zero indication that a serrated blade was used.

With that, I'm done with this line of discussion.

I’d love clarity on this as well. Was the lock replaced or simply fixed? Was the lock code ever changed during the course of her fathers visit or maintained?
IMO this is one of those little things where it would easy to say, the lock was malfunctioning and he went to fix it. I so wish these little points (I have so many!) could be clarified because they seem so insignificant, yet I can understand from an investigation POI you'd not want to say anything. And We, for sure don't know what pieces matter and what don't. MOO

All IMO IMOO
Still think greek-life is a factor, whether/not an actual member is involved. It does impact the investigation, maybe causing the lack of confirmed (not anonymous) information.

-Most fraternal organizations are multi-million dollar outfits, some with very influential alumni
-Both they and universities are ‘somewhat protected’ in their legal structures.
-The common factor of greek groups is secrecy. By definition.
-This secrecy commands loyalty and a member's loyalty can be readily scrutinized by other members,
eg 'why are you studying with a Mu when we’re linked to the Taus?' 'You can't bring Lambda GF to my cousin's Eta dance,' 'All Upsilons are jerks,' ... and you should agree.
-Members are very young people, many still teen-agers, away from home and without much supervision.

As soon anything inappropriate happens, the SILENCE begins. The greek organizations’ message is "Don't talk.”
Does not matter if it is about yours or any other greek organization and includes all local (non-greek, non-univ) associates. Bring nobody to this house.

Silence = Do not allow your loyalty to be challenged. These are your life-time, chosen brothers/sisters.
LE’s 'If you saw anything or know anything' is the opposite of 'Don't talk.'

UI enrollment has approx 11,200 students with 23% greek membership, meaning there are over 2,500 brothers and sisters across 34 recognized chapters.

Yes, agree, ‘Someone has information’ and it may take an outsider to see it in the background.
All IMO IMOO

Fraternity & Sorority Life | University of Idaho (uidaho.edu)
Moscow police say ‘someone has information’ about unsolved Idaho murders (msn.com)

How about if they give them a choice of 20 years for accessory to murder or a deal for immunity for their testimony in convicting the killer?

Would that be incentive enough for these bright young scholars?

JMO
That’s usually what investigators and prosecutors do, and it’s often enough to break the whole case.

But first they have to have this accomplice in the interrogation room. How and when are they going to get to that point?

I haven't seen confirmation anywhere that X's father changed the locks. Any source?
The one confirmation would be the Banfield interview with X's mom in which she says that her father was just there, the weekend before, and changed a lock.

Many people think, since her father, who has done interviews himself, has never mentioned anything about it, that she had confused things when he said she had changed a lot. I don't think we will know for certain until a more definitive statement about it is made by X's father. She was clearly a wreck in that interview, and I don't blame her. :(

*** This comes up a lot, I might have to start a new Cliffs Notes on this :p

Last edited:
RBBM

Possible similarities with the Delphi case?

For those unfamiliar with the Delphi case, please see my signature. I'm referring to Libby German and Abby Williams in Delphi, Indiana.

JMVHO.
Just to note, WS has an option to turn off signatures. I had to do that as some of the sigs were so big, they took forever to load when I had poor cell signal. It's located under preferences in your account. Otherwise, I'd surely check out your sig :)

Leaving the all the controversy behind, there is one question about this case that has puzzled me from the beginning that I have not seen addressed. Simply, how can someone murder 4 people with a knife without a scream, a shout, any sort of warning let alone a struggle of some sort. At first glance this seems impossible.
I think we do know there was at least some resistance because the coroner said there were some defensive wounds.

I don't think we know that no one cried out. But, if you're asleep and being stabbed is what wakes you, you're already at a terrible disadvantage. And depending on where the wound is, they literally may not have been able to make enough noise to be heard on another floor.

Would possible mitochondrial DNA be of any use?

Not as much - not so specific, but of some help in genealogical research, especially if specific haplotype could be gotten. My mtDNA, for example, is H1 (a mutation that occurred most likely on the Iberian peninsula - 28,000 years ago). My husband's is H (so we're distant cousins - his is the original H
Police just need to find him with the DNA IMO. Then they can protect the community, and build a case for prosecution.

Sometimes I think the Elantra dropped off the perpetrator. Just the way police talk.
In my head, the Elantra was parked in King st up the other side, and the perp walked in the rear boundary of the house from the no though road.
I don't think the perp went through the front boundary. JMOO.

I feel this murder was done for effect. There is no revenge. AMIOO

Ive just seen photos of police taking security cameras. Also K9 units but I cant post them here as there is no source origin.

Elantra Stock images, Moscow Police: https://www.ci.moscow.id.us/Documen...ock-photos-of-white-2011-2013-Hyundai-Elantra

Yes! And that, IMO, is where the Elantra comes in.

IMO.

Did we ever learn the size of M's bed? I still wonder at how the killer would have efficiently reached across a queen/king size bed without getting on top.That room seems so small. I can't picture him having the time (while the other victim could wake up) to walk all around the bed. But it could have been a double bed, of course.

Maybe that would explain why one victim's wounds were different, if he was reaching across it might have produced more of a slash. (Sorry for the visual)
I'd go with this idea. I'll also add that their wounds might appear differently because their upper body anatomy is very different. (also sorry for the visual)

The one confirmation would be the Banfield interview with X's mom in which she says that her father was just there, the weekend before, and changed a lock.

Many people think, since her father, who has done interviews himself, has never mentioned anything about it, that she had confused things when he said she had changed a lot. I don't think we will know for certain until a more definitive statement about it is made by X's father. She was clearly a wreck in that interview, and I don't blame her. :(

100% on everything you said. I feel so awful for all of these family members who are suffering. That's why I'm really not putting any stock in what any of them says until confirmed by LE. I can't imagine how hard it is to say everything the way they want to say it when they're being interviewed by people who have experience doing interviews; plus, they know that don't have much time to get all their feelings out on camera.

Leaving the all the controversy behind, there is one question about this case that has puzzled me from the beginning that I have not seen addressed. Simply, how can someone murder 4 people with a knife without a scream, a shout, any sort of warning let alone a struggle of some sort. At first glance this seems impossible.

Confusion out of waking from deep sleep. Fast physical injury to lungs or throat. Alcohol—the toxicology report will give LE a insight into how easy or difficult it was. ‘Defensive wounds’ implies an ineffective struggle.

Then, why others didn’t hear? Ear plugs, white noise, etc. Pulling pillow over head while thinking that it’s too LATE to be stomping around the house—what’s a tactful way to ask them to keep it down, tomorrow. Lots of random yelps are associated with partying.

MOO

Last edited:
Not as much - not so specific, but of some help in genealogical research, especially if specific haplotype could be gotten. My mtDNA, for example, is H1 (a mutation that occurred most likely on the Iberian peninsula - 28,000 years ago). My husband's is H (so we're distant cousins - his is the original H

Yes! And that, IMO, is where the Elantra comes in.

IMO.
Thanks for the answer! I’m a T1a1

She doesn't seem to be sure. Uses changed and fixed.

From @Allabouttrial 's wonderful transcription, here's what Xana's mom said about the lock:

I do want to ask you if you know whether or not Xana had a lock on her bedroom door?.

Mom - I believe she did, yes.

Banfield - Do you know if it was a lock that was a code that you would punch in on the bedroom door?. The prior tenant who used to live there said that every one of the doors in that home, all six bedrooms, were rented separately like apartments and they all had coded locks. But lots of social media pictures have shown at least one of the locks on the door across from the kitchen on the second floor, it didn't appear to have a coded lock, but do you think that Xana's room had a coded lock?.

Mom - I believe it did. Her father mentioned to me that he had just went and replaced the lock the weekend before.

Banfield - You said her father mentioned to you that they had replaced the lock?.

Mom - Yes. that he had.. or he had fixed it or something, but yeah he said he had fixed it the week before just to make sure it was still..

Banfield - So, that's the lock on her own bedroom door, not the lock to the outside of the house?. That's her own bedrom door lock?.

Mom - (inaudible) referring to, I'm not sure (inaudible) I just remember him telling me that when he was (inaudible).

Banfield - But you're talking about J., right?. J. K. Xana's dad?.

Mom - Yes, absolutely yes.

Banfield - And he had been there just a couple weeks before working on a lock, but you're not sure what door?.

Mom - Just the weekend before and he mentioned meeting Ethan's parents and went to check on Xana and it was dad week for WSU for J., so he was over there and they're pretty close schools (inaudible) fairly short distance away from each other.

Banfield - Did Xana's car have Arizona plates?.

Mom - I can't answer that. I don't know.

That’s usually what investigators and prosecutors do, and it’s often enough to break the whole case.

But first they have to have this accomplice in the interrogation room. How and when are they going to get to that point?
And, if the person already has a smart attorney, the "interrogation" is basically over, unless the person has been charged with a crime. Even if they have been charged, they have a right to representation for all encounters with LEO.

I believe that 95% of crimes are solved because of "loose lips", someone tells someone what they "got away with". And that information gets to LEO, who is able to piece together the "rest of the story" with evidence, once they have a suspect. But if everyone stays quiet....much more difficult.

Just some info to share, not to brag about my son but to provide some some possible answers about the awake/not awake or defensive etc.

My son was a Hvwt wrestler. He was a state champion in multiple styles: Roman-Greco, Freestyle and Folkstyle as well as in many national style tournaments and on state traveling teams. As I have been thinking about this I can honestly say that even with all that training, experience and his size I do not think he would stand a chance were he to be attacked in such a manner while laying in bed asleep or semi-asleep. His core would be Horizonte and his feet would not be in contact with anything substantial to allow him to gain momentum to even defend himself. ESPECIALLY if he had been stabbed and was in a semi shocked startled awakening.

JMO

How is it a leak? I assume the business owner wanted to make it public. He's not an officer of the court, it isn't filed in evidence or sealed.
That is a good and relevant question. A "leak" is different than a release.

Leaks are generally held to be unauthorized publishing from some official or semi-official source (government, lawyer, business). A disgruntled employee leaks a the insider correspondence of a corporation, for example. However, with the deliberate manipulation of media for a desired end, a presumed leak does not always have to be malicious, or unauthorized. To shape public perception, an authority can release information through unofficial channels and the media will call it a leak. In fact, it was an authorized release packaged to look like a leak.

With the FBI involved, and with people who are well trained to shape public perception through the media, I'd be on the look out for controlled releasing of information through non-standard sources to craft the impression of a leak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member