ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The KABAR style has a jagged top.
This appears top be mixed up. If you look at the KBAR website their knives are not the Ramboo stile knife. It appears that the standard KBAR is a WWII style straight blade. Non of their knives have a jagged top side.

If they heard their phone ringing endlessly, if their alarm was going off again and again... If surviving roommates banged on the door for an hour, then ya they could assume someone was unconscious. They could have every right to be worried. All of this is my own opinion.
Indeed. And if someone peered into a curtained window and got a glimpse of even a limb, that'd do it.

I can't get this crime out of my head.

JMO

The man at the food truck has been cleared by police. As have the two surviving roomates and the Uber driver. Please post responsibly.

“We do not believe the following individuals are involved in this crime,” Moscow Police Department Cpt. Roger Lanier told reporters on Sunday. “The two surviving roommates; a male seen at the Grubb Truck food vendor downtown, specifically wearing a white hoodie; [and] a private party who provided rides home to Kaylee and Madison in the early morning hour of November 13th.”

This appears top be mixed up. If you look at the KBAR website their knives are not the Ramboo stile knife. It appears that the standard KBAR is a WWII style straight blade. Non of their knives have a jagged top side.
KABAR is a particular brand.<modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10 calls were spread out over a 30 minute period so that doesn’t seem desperate.
They could be sticking with the time of death range because if Kaylee and/or Maddie had eaten then that would have shown at autopsy that they had undigested food in their stomach. I believe it takes a certain amount of time to completely empty the stomach. If the take out food container was there and it was verified that it contained what they ordered from the food truck that would definitely narrow it down.

If they were killed in bed and the attack began when they were asleep, a gun wouldn't have saved them. Come to think of it, do we even know there wasn't a gun in the house? I wouldn't be surprised if there was.
Actually a gun and alarm system.

There is no proof but the sister of the victim said she took the dog out upon arriving home. I asked the question of how did she know that and the answer was she probably saw it on the same neighbors ring camera tape where she saw the driver they used drop them off. I was satisfied with that reasoning.
Wait. This is the first time I’ve heard of a neighbor’s Ring camera?

Last edited:
I am interested in exploring the Murphy and Ethan angles. For those of you interested as well, can you spin out your scenarios from this perspective?

Currently, I am thinking about these murders from a thrill kill/stranger scenario. If I were an opportunistic killer who had scoped out this house in the past, I wouldn’t necessarily expect a dog and athletic young man to be in the house.

Here’s how the scenario might go:

I’ve been moving around the campus for some time, living out of my vehicle or a camp site. A house occupied by a number of young women has caught my attention.

I return to the house by foot or bike around 3:30am. I am prepared with a knife and gun and a back up. I am not noticed, as in this college town on a busy fall weekend, lots of young people are about. All seems quiet. I slip inside through the unlocked sliders. Still quiet.

I walk into Xana’s bedroom, where it is mostly dark, but for some electronics. There are two figures in the bed, neither moving. One appears to be a male. I approach, and with one swift movement, dispatch the male. This awakens the female, who attempts to fight me. She starts yelling, and I subdue her, but not without a fight.

A dog begins barking in another room in the house. I stand and wait, carefully listening. The two on the bed are quiet, but the dog continues to bark. I leave the room, triggering the knob lock, just to provide one more barrier between my victims and the hall.

Standing outside the room, I listen again to the dog. It is upstairs, and there is no other noise.

I walk upstairs towards the barking, carefully opening a door. The dog barks furiously. A swift kick to the dog quiets him, and I attack the two young women on the bed with my knife. They are subdued quickly, and the dog is quiet, cowering in a corner.

All is quiet again. I notice I have some injuries from the attacks, and my adrenaline is wearing off. I still have to leave the scene and so I take off, locking the bedroom door behind me.

I leave the way I came in and head back to my residence, wherever that may be.
Yes. I’ll add an alternate theory that he was already in the house hiding by the time everyone got home. And then after they went to bed, it follows your post.

When they say Ka-bar without being more specific they are most likely talking about the model that used to be issued to US Marines. It's a 7 inch blade, non serrated. Now those have always been available to the public to buy as well so it by no means implies it's a Marine that did this of course.

Just a thought - if they were stabbed thru several layers of blankets or a quilt, might that have contained much of the blood?
Absolutely! And one of the first statements by the coroner was that the bedding still needed to be analyzed by a forensic lab.

Cannot get over the fact that the dog wasn’t killed or hurt (assuming it was in Ks room), especially if it may have been barking throughout the killing spree.

Animal lover? Or as someone mentioned before - did they know the dog??
If the dog didn't bark or try to attack the intruder, then it's not necessary to harm him. Interestingly enough, many loners who end up killing do love animals because they typically unconditionally love those who show them affection back.

This does NOT look like an ex-bf (domestic) situation to me. Too many victims.
Exactly! I was initially thinking maybe the perp was enraged with one (maybe 2) of the victims and the others jumped in to help and got killed. But now it sounds like the perp went from room to room, killing people in their beds. That sounds so systematic -- I think it's a Ted Bundy type of serial killer, especially with the recent incidents with a nearby dog and rabbit and someone threatening with a knife not long before. The perp probably came in through kitchen sliders (one of the Dads indicated they didn't always lock it). May not have known bedrooms were on the first floor. I'm guessing all the students in the house were deeply asleep after a few drinks. They probably had that white noise app on their phones to drown out noise from housemates. Most students do.

Interested in knowing how long Ethan and Xana have been dating. He’s a freshman. Just a few months? If that’s the case, who was she dating before that and/or had she rejected someone who had pursued her? I feel like this was done by someone living in the area who is a bit older (mid to late 20s even older) non-college graduate, who the group “knew” from the bar scene. If not Xana, which of the other two female victims had more recently rejected “that older bar fly guy who made a point of hanging around the college kids and was the opposite of the stereotypical frat guy?” Thinking the perp may have recently lost his job and/or made plans to move out of town. Possibly lives close by or even could have worked at the college or one of the bars as security, bouncer,etc. Lastly, are the toxicology reports back? And had there been any recent work done in the house that required a contractor or handyman, electrician, etc to be in the home?
I think a year- her father liked him

I've been following this case since the beginning and the scenario that makes the most sense to me, right now, is that of a scorned ex. Of the 6 people that we know where in the house that night, the 4 that were murdered had something obvious in common. Long-standing, close relationships with one-another. I believe the suspect knew where his intended targets would be sleeping. He waited for them to retreat to their rooms, in order to avoid detection by the a 1st floor (basement) roommates. If you look at the pictures posted earlier, of the floor-plan, you'll see that the stairwell to the 1st floor (basement) is directly off of the living room.

Obviously, this is all MOO, but I think whoever did this was angry at all 4 victims, with K being the common denominator.

The KABAR style has a jagged top.
Yes but I also believe it has a metal plate at the top to keep your hand from sliding down the blade and cutting yourself. That would leave bruising at least for the first wound if it was driven in full hilt while you still had blood circulation.

Attachments

• FDADA1BB-FB68-4DDB-8335-58337BFB06E4.png
    FDADA1BB-FB68-4DDB-8335-58337BFB06E4.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors