ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder was hooded grub truck guy the ride? But I noticed from the video footage when girls walked off, he looked around and then walked in the direction the girls went, but then veered to the right? So that assumption goes out the window unless he grabbed his vehicle and swung around to get them?

A reminder, per the NYT (paywalled) article:

Investigators have yet to identify a suspect. They have, however, preliminarily ruled out several people, including:
  • A man seen with Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen in the video footage at the food truck.
  • The man who gave Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen a ride home.
  • The two surviving housemates, who were in the house during the attack.
  • The friends who were called to the house by the surviving housemates the morning after the attacks.
  • Mr. DuCoeur, the former boyfriend of one victim.
  • The victims themselves.
link
Would you mind quoting the NYT’s wording about the ex-bf being ruled out? That would also be new info. Thank you!

A broad overview of the different internet forums dedicated to armchair sleuthing and aggressive speculation makes it very clear that this particular case has overwhelmed the conversation in a way that I have not seen in a long time - the last story I can remember being this monopolizing was Casey Anthony or Amanda Knox. Everybody seems to have an opinion on this one, and the interest level is very high. I notice a lot more young voices, I'm guessing a whole new generation of armchair sleuthers has been cultivated from the current spectrum of true crime podcasts and mini-series.

That being said, the interest is warranted IMO. This case has an unusual mix of brutality and publicity - I think the police were going to try and hide the "circumstances" of the murder for as long as they could, but were unable to plug the dam because of the rumor mill. I mean come on, their initial version was a "passion" crime with no threat to the public - IMO that's clear implicit code for things like murder-suicides and other self-contained incidents. So the public eye has been laser focused for a while, and the longer it goes on without answers, the more that people will turn to their favorite place for answers: the internet!

Having waded through some of the... erm... less "moderated" forums... I must say that the conversation is much cleaner here at WS, and the moderation is a big part of that. There is a lot of speculation and doxxing happening at the "other" places, and frankly it's disturbing, especially considering the level of interest on this matter.

I hope they solve this soon, or have already figured it out as others have theorized already. A crime like this simply can't go unsolved - an entire community is suffering horrifically until this matter is closed.

Can anyone tell me how far the bar M and K were at from the food truck? Is it possible the person(s) in the black sedan, referenced on News Nation, took them to the food truck waited for them to get the food then took them home?

The Food Truck website says its located between 1st & 6th street usually next to the Garden Lounge. So the Corner Club to that location is approximately .5 a mile. The food truck to the house is approximately 1.5 depending on route longest route could be 1.7 shortest is 1.3 miles.

IMO I can see something like this happening just from personal experience. In my experience, someone was unconscious, there were no adults present and the others were too scared to call 911. They called me, and I told them they had to call 911.

That being said, there wasn’t any blood or anything. This was someone drinking on medication they shouldn’t be, totally different scenario. But the idea of them calling friends before 911 didn’t seem plausible to me until you phrased it this way.
Right. And also, it's easy to look back on it knowing that they were murdered and think that they would've called 911. But it's important to remember that they most likely just thought it was another Sunday morning... never could've imagined what would be behind the door.

the only scenario i can think of when it comes to "being personal," besides it being a single target and others being killed because they were present, is that this group seemed sociable, attractive, "popular," and well-liked. some sort of twisted, antisocial, "outsider" at the college/in the community could have seen them as a prime example of what they felt they were excluded from. a similar sort of anger that you see from incels, maybe... especially if they didn't know a man lived at the house. JMO
This house has been an iconic party house for as long as I can remember. It’s legendary around town, even for non-students & locals who have never attended/worked at the UI or been to a party at the house.

I think about that a lot. MOO - it could be someone fixated on the house & on not being someone who would ever fit in with that kind of party crowd for various reasons. Maybe/maybe not fixated on one, two, more, all of the young women who lived there.

Again MOO, based on the info released by law enforcement, this feels very organized to me. The perpetrator(s) got away with it in a very dense neighborhood where no one heard anything (as far as we know) & where there are almost always people out & about at all hours. He killed FOUR people & got away.

Also MOO, I wonder if the perpetrator(s) spent some time inside, cleaning up or whatever. He had no reason for a quick exit & maybe picked a time to leave that was best to escape undetected. If he could successfully kill 4 people with a knife with no alarm being raised, it seems reasonable to me running water/shower would be unlikely to attract any attention, assuming he knew about the 2 surviving housemates.

Half-baked & probably totally wrong, but felt like time to share something more than just “I live here & know something about the community & UI.

Would you mind quoting the NYT’s wording about the ex-bf being ruled out? That would also be new info. Thank you!
This is all the NYT article I linked has to say about it, they don't dwell on JD too much, as it seems he has been ruled out (unknown why):

Investigators have yet to identify a suspect. They have, however, preliminarily ruled out several people, including:

• A man seen with Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen in the video footage at the food truck.
  • The man who gave Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen a ride home.
  • The two surviving housemates, who were in the house during the attack.
  • The friends who were called to the house by the surviving housemates the morning after the attacks.
  • Mr. DuCoeur, the former boyfriend of one victim.
  • The victims themselves.
The authorities have left open the possibility that there may have been more than one perpetrator. Investigators contacted local businesses to see if anyone had recently bought a fixed-blade knife.

Chief James Fry of the Moscow Police Department said on Sunday that he could not say whether the killer was still in town or had fled.

“I can’t say if the person’s here,” he said. “I can’t say what community the person’s in.”

With no one under arrest in the case, people in Moscow and internet sleuths have been trading theories and unverified stories, prompting the authorities to plead for people to stop spreading rumors. After stories began to spread this week about mysterious animal deaths prior to the killings, including a report that a dog had been skinned, investigators said they had determined that the animal deaths were unrelated to the deaths of the four students.

(all of the above is from the NYT article, linked here)

You seem to have had a bit of an emotional reaction to my comment. In this case the giant knife was used to murder 4 people… personally I find it shocking it’s legal to carry a knife that can penetrate a car door… but that’s just me
I don't think it is legal in Idaho to carry a knife that big. Imo. You can own one, but I don't think you are allowed to carry it on your person. But criminals are not big on following the law to begin with. Laws do not stop people from killing. If there is a will there is a way. Fire, bombs, cars, etc. Imo.

I also wonder was hooded grub truck guy the ride? But I noticed from the video footage when girls walked off, he looked around and then walked in the direction the girls went, but then veered to the right? So that assumption goes out the window unless he grabbed his vehicle and swung around to get them?
The hooded man has NOTHING to do with this case. He has been cleared.

Last edited by a moderator:
This house has been an iconic party house for as long as I can remember. It’s legendary around town, even for non-students & locals who have never attended/worked at the UI or been to a party at the house.

I think about that a lot. MOO - it could be someone fixated on the house & on not being someone who would ever fit in with that kind of party crowd for various reasons. Maybe/maybe not fixated on one, two, more, all of the young women who lived there.

Again MOO, based on the info released by law enforcement, this feels very organized to me. The perpetrator(s) got away with it in a very dense neighborhood where no one heard anything (as far as we know) & where there are almost always people out & about at all hours. He killed FOUR people & got away.

Also MOO, I wonder if the perpetrator(s) spent some time inside, cleaning up or whatever. He had no reason for a quick exit & maybe picked a time to leave that was best to escape undetected. If he could successfully kill 4 people with a knife with no alarm being raised, it seems reasonable to me running water/shower would be unlikely to attract any attention, assuming he knew about the 2 surviving housemates.

Half-baked & probably totally wrong, but felt like time to share something more than just “I live here & know something about the community & UI.
Wow tell us more!

I don't think it is legal in Idaho to carry a knife that big. Imo. You can own one, but I don't think you are allowed to carry it on your person. But criminals are not big on following the law to begin with. Laws do not stop people from killing. If there is a will there is a way. Fire, bombs, cars, etc. Imo.
Exactly . Murdering 4 people in their home is illegal , didn’t stop the perp . So doesn’t really matter .

Looks like a canine involved. I have not seen any pics of one until now
I definitely recall seeing a photo either the day of, or day after the murders of that same woman walking a canine, but she was in the driveway.

So they’ve definitely had canines on the case. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper