ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading USA today about a female hiker, Geraldine Largay, from Main was hiking the Applacian Trail and lost in 2013.

Remains found 3000 feet off the trail. Area had been searched by three different teams of dogs that never found her.

That is exactly why I question the Sheriff searching but saying no to others wanting to search.

Note: sorry I cannot link from my Kindle. Google her name for the link in USA Today.

So, we are left with the question.. if abduction is a consideration.. why wasnt this communicated by the sheriff's office IMMEDIATELY? Public safety is paramount. While in the first few days it was treated as a boy who wondered off.. there was never anything found within hours and given the lack of scent etc etc, public awareness DEMANDED that people be cognizant of the real possibility this child was abducted. IMO

Years ago when i had a little one..and would take her to the pediatrician if she was sick he would say to me 'well mom, what do you think is wrong with her"? My husband thought he was the dumbest guy going. BUT HE WASNT.. he wanted my input.. my perception,.

Same thing here.. JM and DK said abducted from the get-go. Why didnt the sheriff take them seriously while also doing his searching of the campground?? A little boy may have been found.. and the public would have been hyper aware and even more guarded when it came to their own children. MOO

Anything i write is just my opinion

Don't parents often put "Abduction" suddenly at the top of their list? (We were right there, so how could he have disappeared into thin air?) If so, then maybe they have a sense of why they are saying that??

I work for a Lost Dog Recovery group and we hear that alot. My dog was "stolen", I'm just sure of it. (He never leaves the yard). Someone told me that 2 days ago on the phone and the next day, the dog was spotted..so who knows.

I bet anything, these parents go into some "survival mode" behavior.

Don't parents often put "Abduction" suddenly at the top of their list? (We were right there, so how could he have disappeared into thin air?) If so, then maybe they have a sense of why they are saying that??

I work for a Lost Dog Recovery group and we hear that alot. My dog was "stolen", I'm just sure of it. (He never leaves the yard). Someone told me that 2 days ago on the phone and the next day, the dog was spotted..so who knows.

I bet anything, these parents go into some "survival mode" behavior.
Perhaps.. but what HARM would it have done to have a parallel investigation going? Search and rescue at the campground and possible abduction alert to the citizens. SB believed the family and was solid with them.. why not believe their baby could have been abducted?

Here is the harm.. imo. 3 months into this the public is now asked to look for a family with a little blonde boy..SB is "fairly confident" the elderly couple who was camping with their family had nothing to do with Deorr's disappearance . We have no idea if this baby was scooped up and handed off by someone to someone else The parents said who would do this to us knowing how much he means to us? Call it parental intuition.. i dont know. If , from the beginning, this was relayed to the public as a possible abduction this entire case might have gone differently..imo. Valuable time was lost. MOO

Anything i write is just my opinion.

Anything i write is just my opinion.

I think DeOrr was either left in the car or not at the store. The clerk remembered the parents but not seeing DeOrr while they talked about their child. It would be natural as the parents are discussing this the clerk looks at the child. This child is so cute, I would think you would remember. Also if this little store was so busy why didn't someone else notice the tot? After the 20 min. drive in the car, he maybe a 'mover & a goer' and as it appears from the timeline they were at the store for quite awhile.

Just reading USA today about a female hiker, Geraldine Largay, from Main was hiking the Applacian Trail and lost in 2013.

Remains found 3000 feet off the trail. Area had been searched by three different teams of dogs that never found her.

That is exactly why I question the Sheriff searching but saying no to others wanting to search.

Note: sorry I cannot link from my Kindle. Google her name for the link in USA Today.

I read about her disappearance a few months ago. I'm so glad she has finally been found. I will be anxious to hear the results of the autopsy. She was almost 67 years old and had been hiking the trail since April. She disappeared July 23, 2013. Hiking the Appalachian Trail was on her bucket list :-(. Thank you for the update, Cardinal47.

I think DeOrr was either left in the car or not at the store. The clerk remembered the parents but not seeing DeOrr while they talked about their child. It would be natural as the parents are discussing this the clerk looks at the child. This child is so cute, I would think you would remember. Also if this little store was so busy why didn't someone else notice the tot? After the 20 min. drive in the car, he maybe a 'mover & a goer' and as it appears from the timeline they were at the store for quite awhile.

You seem to be assuming that DeOrr would have been standing right with his parents while in the store. He might very well have been looking at toys or candy. He might have been with his mom while DK checked out and chatted with the clerk. Didn't the clerk say she remembered DK? Did she say she also remembered Jessica?
Or, if DeOrr was with DK the clerk might not have seen him from over the counter - DeOrr is small.

You seem to be assuming that DeOrr would have been standing right with his parents while in the store. He might very well have been looking at toys or candy. He might have been with his mom while DK checked out and chatted with the clerk. Didn't the clerk say she remembered DK? Did she say she also remembered Jessica?
Or, if DeOrr was with DK the clerk might not have seen him from over the counter - DeOrr is small.

I believe they were both in the store due to how I interpret what the sheriff said:

SB: Well, initially um the store salesperson didn’t remember uh the encounter. When the father uh… I call him Vernal instead of Deorr, it’s Vernal Deorr Kunz…when Vernal and his wife came back to the store several days later then the salesperson said, “Oh, yeah, I remember you!”

SB: Now I’m not sure…I don’t recall her saying specifically that she remembered the child. She remembered them talking about their child, and they bought some candy and some other items, and we have a dated and time-stamped receipt, so we know they were in the store.

If a two & half yr. old was over looking at toys & candy by himself, I'm sure the parents would be right there or a clerk watching. My main point is if the store was busy why didn't anyone seeing this baby because they were there so long & if not at the store it hasn't been explained what were they doing? The timeline here doesn't make sense to me.

Were there two store clerks and 1 store or 2 stores/2 clerks?

Because the latest info from SB about the store visit is different (but has similarities) to the info the parents gave in the early EIN interview.

I'm honestly completely at a loss to what is fact now.

I believe they were both in the store due to how I interpret what the sheriff said:

SB: Well, initially um the store salesperson didn’t remember uh the encounter. When the father uh… I call him Vernal instead of Deorr, it’s Vernal Deorr Kunz…when Vernal and his wife came back to the store several days later then the salesperson said, “Oh, yeah, I remember you!”

SB: Now I’m not sure…I don’t recall her saying specifically that she remembered the child. She remembered them talking about their child, and they bought some candy and some other items, and we have a dated and time-stamped receipt, so we know they were in the store.

If a two & half yr. old was over looking at toys & candy by himself, I'm sure the parents would be right there or a clerk watching. My main point is if the store was busy why didn't anyone seeing this baby because they were there so long & if not at the store it hasn't been explained what were they doing? The timeline here doesn't make sense to me.

Why would they be talking about their child to the clerk if the child was right there with them? Seems odd to me. MOO.

New article on East Idaho News:

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/10/sheriff-fbi-unable-to-analyze-some-evidence-in-deorr-kunz-case/

Some interesting points:

“The FBI informed us that they could not analyze some evidence that we gave them,” Bowerman wrote in an email to EastIdahoNews.com Friday. “I’m not sure what that’s about, and they still haven’t provided me any behavioral analysis.”

Meanwhile, a private investigator working with DeOrr’s parents, Jessica Mitchell and DeOrr Kunz Sr., tells EastIdahoNews.com he has severed ties with the family over “disagreements.”

Next week, Bowerman says, he will be traveling to Idaho Falls to meet with Bonneville County detectives to determine the next steps to take in the case.

Could be that Jessica and Vernal were talking to each other about Deorr and the clerk overheard this?

I found the link. Thanks for your patience.

"It appears she got off the trail somewhere and went into that area and that's where she was located," said Lt. Kevin Adams, who headed the search team. Three different dog teams previously had searched unsuccessfully near where Largay's remains were found.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s-hiker-missing-2-years-found-maine/74052914/

Could be that Jessica and Vernal were talking to each other about Deorr and the clerk overheard this?

Regardless, it doesn't seem that the child was with them. (ETA: I mean in the store - not saying he wasn't with them at all - could have been in the truck...)

I read about her disappearance a few months ago. I'm so glad she has finally been found. I will be anxious to hear the results of the autopsy. She was almost 67 years old and had been hiking the trail since April. She disappeared July 23, 2013. Hiking the Appalachian Trail was on her bucket list :-(. Thank you for the update, Cardinal47.

Glad to know this....I live in Maine and read about this back then....Good to have some sort of resolution.

Regardless, it doesn't seem that the child was with them.

True. But then going by them only making one visit to the store, where does the man staring at Deorr fit in?

Is this store visit the Stage Stop? I want to have this clear before I say more.

Out in the truck (by himself) napping? Surely, if he were with them in the store, he would have been observed!

just edited my post... you're right, he could have been in the truck...I wasn't very clear.

Out in the truck (by himself) napping? Surely, if he were with them in the store, he would have been observed!

Except in the interview they talked about it being close to his nap time when they left him with GGP and went down to the creek. Would they leave him out in the truck alone? IDK.... This sure is a frustrating case, and it's hard to believe that not one person saw or remembered seeing little Deorr with mom and dad in Leadore. He's so cute he's memorable, IMO. It's like he's a shadow, not there then, not there now. I'm not saying I don't believe he was there at all, just that it's unusual. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214