ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow - Tylee Ryan - Tammy Daybell - Charles Vallow - *Arrests* #69

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - there goes the weekend :oops: ;)
just so you know, they've brought in the shooting at Brandon Boudreaux and the killing of Charles, for motive, because of common scheme/plan. Idaho rules of evidence 404b allows prior bad acts for motive, and given the conspiracy charge and co-conspirators Chad and Alex.

Idaho Rules of Evidence Rule 404. Character Evidence; Crimes or Other Acts.

(b) Crimes, Wrongs, or Other Acts.

(1) Prohibited Uses. Evidence of a crime, wrong, or other act is not admissible to prove a person’s character in order to show that on a particular occasion the person acted in accordance with the character.

(2) Permitted Uses; Notice in a Criminal Case. This evidence may be admissible for another purpose, such as proving motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, absence of mistake, or lack of accident. In a criminal case, the prosecutor must:

(A) file and serve reasonable notice of the general nature of any such evidence that the prosecutor intends to offer at trial; and

(B) do so reasonably in advance of trial – or during trial if the court, for good cause shown, excuses lack of pretrial notice.

I.R.E. 404. Character Evidence not Admissible to Prove Conduct; Exceptions; Other Crimes. | Supreme Court

Interview after court yesterday with Cheryl Wheeler, Charles's ex-wife, in Nate Eaton's recap

also Nate explains at the end what happened regarding the phones seized from members of the gallery by the court bailiffs.

Last edited:
During the week, I can only really catch-up without multi-tasking during the evening and overnight, so the audio is actually working out fine for me. I love that Scott Reisch has all his YT content available on his podcast, so I can listen at night with my earbuds and my phone screen OFF. Helpful!

I thought LB did an excellent job eliciting MG's testimony. For all off the hate that MG has been subject to, and self-serving or not, I think she was a strong witness. I can't WAIT for ZP to testify!!!

I skipped through MG's testimony on the audio, will go back later for a listen. I don't recall seeing in the Tweets anything about the incident in January 2019 when Lori cleared out Charles's bank account and convinced everyone that Charles was having an affair. MG went with her to the police, meanwhile Charles told police she was threatening to murder him, and asked for a mental evaluation, which she sailed through.

One minor but intriguing observation:

The Cox family was tightly loyal. Very enmeshed.

This blessing is part of Chad's successful efforts to cleave Lori and Alex out of the Cox Clan, and into whatever their group was.

Perhaps the church of the firstborn version 666, in which Chad and Lori lead chosen ones.

MOO

That "blessing" sounded kind of like Alex was about done with his "earthly mission." MOO

Does it seem to anyone else as though the prosecution is making a better case for Chad's guilt than Lori's guilt? I'm sure it's just me, and I've missed out on a lot.

Guessing that at least 70% of the jury is LDS, they have all heard Patriarchal blessings, and are pretty much sure that CD is out to lunch. He thinks he is the "real deal". He never got the "respect" he thought he should have had by the LDS church, so he goes and makes up a completely different church, where he is the leader. World according to CD. Including, a "hot" blonde ditzy chick.

Just gotta get rid of the "baggage", Tylee, JJ, and Tammy.
I believe she was "hot and loaded," per Chad, introducing her around Rexberg.

I'll put my money on the defense desperately looking for LDS membership clues in the jury- or lack of membership clues- and using there unexplained 12 strikes to try to make this jury as never-Mo as possible.

MOO

I believe the slideshow itself is new, which is why the defence was given overnight to review it. I do not know whether the contents of the slideshow are new which is why the defence objected.
Right. The prosecution asserted that there was nothing new in the PowerPoint.

IANAL but I recall that "work product" is explicitly not discoverable. Which would be things like this- if as prosecution asserts- a product made from the shared in discovery information.

However this is not the prosecutions product, it's a witnesses. Let's see what happens.

My guess: you can't tell a witness what to say or how to say it, although you are supposed to share what the witness is expected to say/evidence expected to be presented. I would think that this is how the witness is saying it and should be fine as long as it is not new.

MOO

My thoughts so far…

IMO Loris is responsible for the shooting of Charles. I base this on the fact that Alex’s story didn’t stack up and IMO fits with a scheme of sorts (I’ll kill my spouse if you kill yours). So, IMO, Loris killed Charles and Chad killed Tammy. I am on the fence as to who killed Tylee and JJ, and am keen to hear ZPs testimony.

I am also wondering if the prosecution has found any evidence to to what long term plan Chad and Lori had or whether their aim was to just spend their lives together living off insurance monies. Am I right in thinking that Lori would have been entitled to some kind of widows pension from Charles seeing as they were not divorced or would that has been when she reached retirement age?

And what about MB/P. Seeing as they failed to kill Brandon and collect that insurance money, was IP going to be the next victim? I seem to recall that they married Thanksgiving of 2019 at the same time as Alex and Zulema. Was the plan to insure IP and then dispatch him too?

I only just started listening to audio of the trial, but something caught my attention in the opening arguments...

When Lindsey Blake got to the part about Tammy's death she mentioned Chad and Tammy's son being there before going in to work that night, and that other than Chad nobody else was in the house until the following morning when she was found cold and dead.

That little tidbit about the son being there before going in to work gave me the thought and impression that the State may be introducing Tammy's son later as a witness in this case. Otherwise why mention him specifically? We know everyone else introduced in the overview has or will be called as a witness later. Was he listed as a witness for this case? Or am I just reading into things?

I hope Chad's children have begun to see and accept the truth, and are joining in the search for justice. MOO.

Was he listed as a witness for this case? Or am I just reading into things?
Answering my own question - the judge sealed the full witness list:

"Judge Steven Boyce has sealed the full witness list along with the actual jury questionnaires - citing the privacy of the matters override public interest."

Nate has not posted anything - that is because I have the time wrong... let's see this is MT, right? So a little past 8:30am there? :)

so I still have time to make my dinner...

Taking a look at the defense's cross-examination of Melanie yesterday, I think they may be trying to draw parallels between her and Lori -- both knew about these teachings, both thought they were strange, both participated in the "casting"... and the defense ended with the account of Melanie asking Alex about the kids and Alex refusing to tell her. Are they going to try to convince us that Lori was in the same place -- that she was just as ignorant about what was really going on as Melanie was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper