Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They all make a disclaimer at the beginning about their assessment not being a proper diagnosis.
I once worked for a prominent psychiatric institution that made it clear to their graduate students that even expressing an opinion about the mental health of someone who had never been a patient of theirs was completely verboten. And of course, if they had been a patient, it would be a violation of doctor/patient privilege. The only exception was if you were being called to testify in a court of law as an expert witness on general topics relevant to the case. Even then, they were not supposed to allow a lawyer to draw them into offering an opinion about a specific person’s mental state. I’m sure there was some more fine tuning in special cases, but that’s as I recall it. We had a psychiatrist from NYC who frequently testified in court give an interesting workshop on that, which is why it came to mind. I think he’d just written a book or maybe journal article on the subject. Sorry if my memory fails me! It often does, the older I get.

Then why does he keep bringing it up?
He doesn't keep mentioning it, people on this forum keep mentioning it.

It is a very brief coment in a wide ranging personal broadcast about why we, the public and the author, are so fascinated with criminal cases and how the details of this particular case may reveal different elements of human personality and pathology, from the perspective of a psychologist who works in the field.

"The Hidden true crime podcast explores the hidden motives behind unimaginable crimes, while examining our deepest fears along the way. Join us on a journey into the darkest recesses of the human mind and the unconscious motivations that drive human behaviors, both good and bad, in order to understand the world and ourselves"

ETA, also adding, which I forgot, is he has the report of the psych evalation on LV done during her custody battle with JR, that psychologist suggests histrionic/borderline pd. Unless that's already been posted here, I'll see if the show notes refence it.

Last edited:
Preview to a new 48 Hours episode:

The untold story of how investigators found Lori Vallow’s missing children – buried on Chad Daybell’s property. CBS News correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti reports in an all-new "48 Hours" Saturday, October 3 at 10/9c on CBS.

Has anyone seen this yet? Was wondering how well it was done.

Also, CR did a new YouTube within the last 24 hours. I don't know if I'm allowed to link it here. It was a rather long one.

Has anyone seen this yet? Was wondering how well it was done.

Also, CR did a new YouTube within the last 24 hours. I don't know if I'm allowed to link it here. It was a rather long one.

I saw the 48 Hours program. Given that it was only an hour, they couldn't get into everything but they did hit most of the high points.

They interviewed someone who knew/was friends with Chad when they were 19 and he is worried there will be no charges forthcoming in regards to the murder of Tylee and JJ. They also interviewed Tylee's best friend and her mother, as well as Lori's friend from Hawaii.

The best part of the show was hearing from the people at JJ's school. The teachers and students all loved JJ and were devastated when they learned his body was found.

Last edited:
ETA, also adding, which I forgot, is he has the report of the psych evalation on LV done during her custody battle with JR, that psychologist suggests histrionic/borderline pd. Unless that's already been posted here, I'll see if the show notes refence it.

I don’t remember seeing that report. Do you mean the actual evaluation or someone’s description of its contents? If you could pass along whatever references you find, that would be wonderful. Thanks!

He doesn't keep mentioning it, people on this forum keep mentioning it.

It is a very brief coment in a wide ranging personal broadcast about why we, the public and the author, are so fascinated with criminal cases and how the details of this particular case may reveal different elements of human personality and pathology, from the perspective of a psychologist who works in the field.

"The Hidden true crime podcast explores the hidden motives behind unimaginable crimes, while examining our deepest fears along the way. Join us on a journey into the darkest recesses of the human mind and the unconscious motivations that drive human behaviors, both good and bad, in order to understand the world and ourselves"

I understand the concern expressed about amateurs especially, and even professionals suggesting diagnoses.

At the same time, I have noticed over the past 10 years or so, a grassroots campaign to educate the public about what narcissism looks like and how they can destroy lives at schools, at home, in marriages, and at the workplace. These people never think they have done anything wrong and often times talk their victims into thinking the same thing.

The proof of this is shown by the myriad of you tube videos currently available on recognizing narcissism.

And since they rarely seek treatment, narcissists and other personality disorders remain undiagnosed. A very astute mental health evaluator during the Joe Ryan court case, as mentioned above, did come up with the same diagnoses for LV as many of us here have on our own. Why was LV allowed to get by with what she did? Because no one else recognized the signs.

I really believe that this is an important topic because it leads to evaluation of ourselves as a society, and how we produce and condone narcissists.

One of my favorite you tube vloggers uses the phrase "Justice through understanding" as her motto. If we fail to understand and recognize toxic behaviors, toxic child rearing practices, toxic marriages, and toxic workplaces, how do we hope to ever make things better, and stop producing personality disordered individuals who destroy and murder the innocent? How do we prevent this kind of thing from happening over and over again?

I understand the concern expressed about amateurs especially, and even professionals suggesting diagnoses.

At the same time, I have noticed over the past 10 years or so, a grassroots campaign to educate the public about what narcissism looks like and how they can destroy lives at schools, at home, in marriages, and at the workplace. These people never think they have done anything wrong and often times talk their victims into thinking the same thing.

The proof of this is shown by the myriad of you tube videos currently available on recognizing narcissism.

And since they rarely seek treatment, narcissists and other personality disorders remain undiagnosed. A very astute mental health evaluator during the Joe Ryan court case, as mentioned above, did come up with the same diagnoses for LV as many of us here have on our own. Why was LV allowed to get by with what she did? Because no one else recognized the signs.

I really believe that this is an important topic because it leads to evaluation of ourselves as a society, and how we produce and condone narcissists.

One of my favorite you tube vloggers uses the phrase "Justice through understanding" as her motto. If we fail to understand and recognize toxic behaviors, toxic child rearing practices, toxic marriages, and toxic workplaces, how do we hope to ever make things better, and stop producing personality disordered individuals who destroy and murder the innocent? How do we prevent this kind of thing from happening over and over again?

The word "narcissist" was en vogue at least 25 years ago. Everyone was a "narcissist". I remember that well. I think my neighbor even called her dog that. Lol.

The word "narcissist" was en vogue at least 25 years ago. Everyone was a "narcissist". I remember that well. I think my neighbor even called her dog that. Lol.

I saw a little meme one time about how a dog is the perfect example of psychopathic behavior - all love and smiles when they want your food, but just try to help yourself to some of theirs! (I love dogs, have a dog, and love all animals, but just sayin...)

If you pay attention to psyche evaluations of notorious killers in the past, you will notice that few back then were called narcissistic. "Antisocial" personality sometimes came up, even though NPD is usually a component of it. It is a soft science that has changed since then.

I have read that there was a time when there was very little clinical studies done on NPD, because 1. they don't think they have a problem and 2. they are treatment resistant and even clinicians can't handle them, really want nothing to do with them.

So it is kind of up to us to be aware, because I guarantee you that if you work outside the home, over the course of a 40 year career, you will meet up with one or two. They are the bullies at school that your child may have to deal with. They are the controlling, invalidating, cheating spouse, or the manipulating best friend.

You may meet one in your family, and if you haven't, you are lucky, because they cause generational trauma.

Has anyone seen this yet? Was wondering how well it was done...
I watched it last night. There were opinions from those who knew J.J. (from school) and Kylee's Kauai friend and her Mom.

Also, the woman who knew LVD from Kauai talked about LVD and how she changed and why she thought that Kylee was murdered. She felt that Kylee knew what really happened to Charles and became a liability to LVD.

I saw a little meme one time about how a dog is the perfect example of psychopathic behavior - all love and smiles when they want your food, but just try to help yourself to some of theirs! (I love dogs, have a dog, and love all animals, but just sayin...)

If you pay attention to psyche evaluations of notorious killers in the past, you will notice that few back then were called narcissistic. "Antisocial" personality sometimes came up, even though NPD is usually a component of it. It is a soft science that has changed since then.

I have read that there was a time when there was very little clinical studies done on NPD, because 1. they don't think they have a problem and 2. they are treatment resistant and even clinicians can't handle them, really want nothing to do with them.

So it is kind of up to us to be aware, because I guarantee you that if you work outside the home, over the course of a 40 year career, you will meet up with one or two. They are the bullies at school that your child may have to deal with. They are the controlling, invalidating, cheating spouse, or the manipulating best friend.

You may meet one in your family, and if you haven't, you are lucky, because they cause generational trauma.

Very good points. I agree that the public should be more aware than presently of how mental illness manifests in a variety of situations, from family dynamics to how leaders of whole nations can affect millions of their citizens. I want to be clear that I neither question nor disapprove of mental health professionals speaking up about issues that grow out of current affairs or court cases. The line is drawn at the point where public education crosses into speculation about a specific individual’s mental health status. We can do the latter on our own, privately, given a sufficiency of the former. For mental health professionals, whether MSWs, psychologists or psychiatrists, however, stepping over that line can be a career-ender. MOO

Edited to add: I love the dog analogy LOL

Tonight a special Sunday edition of Websleuths YouTube Live.
What is going on in the mind of family annihilaters? Forensic Psychiatrist Dr.Micharl Armbruster joins us at 10 pm Eastern tonight to take your questions and help us understand what happens to turn a person into a killer of their own family.
Metro Atlanta Psychiatry
This is one YouTube live stream you should not miss. 10 PM EASTERN TONIGHT!
Click the link below and join us!!
https://tinyurl.com/qqhq3dv

Attachments

• Image 39..jpg
    Image 39..jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2
Tonight a special Sunday edition of Websleuths YouTube Live.
What is going on in the mind of family annihilaters? Forensic Psychiatrist Dr.Micharl Armbruster joins us at 10 pm Eastern tonight to take your questions and help us understand what happens to turn a person into a killer of their own family.
Metro Atlanta Psychiatry
This is one YouTube live stream you should not miss. 10 PM EASTERN TONIGHT!
Click the link below and join us!!
https://tinyurl.com/qqhq3dv

I fell asleep and missed it....is it posted anywhere else? Thanks

Rexburgh Sleuth - thank you for so comprehensibly answering my query re the likely composition of jury members. One of the things I was particularly wondering was the likelihood or otherwise of a high percentage of LDS members. Here in Australia, not being LDS myself, or knowing anyone who is, I really have no idea how normal LDS beliefs and Chad's beliefs may differ. To me personally, I find Chad's stated belief that Tammy would die young simply unbelievable and pretty much proof of intent to murder. So if I were on the jury, that fact alone would pretty much condemn him in my eyes. But how do normal LDS members view that? Would they take the same viewpoint, or like me find it unbelievable and condemning?
Many thanks to all of you who "liked" my post - but I really actually genuinely wanted an answer!:)

Rexburgh Sleuth - thank you for so comprehensibly answering my query re the likely composition of jury members. One of the things I was particularly wondering was the likelihood or otherwise of a high percentage of LDS members. Here in Australia, not being LDS myself, or knowing anyone who is, I really have no idea how normal LDS beliefs and Chad's beliefs may differ. To me personally, I find Chad's stated belief that Tammy would die young simply unbelievable and pretty much proof of intent to murder. So if I were on the jury, that fact alone would pretty much condemn him in my eyes. But how do normal LDS members view that? Would they take the same viewpoint, or like me find it unbelievable and condemning?

We've been asked not to discuss LDS teachings and doctrine so without getting into a detailed compare and contrast on this site I think we can just say that CD's and LVD's spiritual beliefs are not LDS teachings and differ significantly. This would be immediately apparent to a jury. I suspect that the prosecution will limit the discussion of the religious aspects as much as he can though. This is a complex case and he will need to amplify the provable evidence and try to cut through the noise that may confuse or distract a jury. MOO

I fell asleep and missed it....is it posted anywhere else? Thanks

I listened to it and it was interesting because we here had just been discussing this very thing!

Also of interest, Profiling Evil had Dr. Ramani on as their guest on October 1. I found Dr. Ramani just in the last few months and she is my VERY FAVORITE! Her YouTube channel has cleared up a lot of questions for me regarding family roles in my own family of origin. I just found this this morning and am now getting ready to take a listen.

Many thanks to all of you who "liked" my post - but I really actually genuinely wanted an answer!:)
Sorry for the delay. This past weekend is key to why I didn't answer. Our church held it's semi-annual General Conference, 10 hours of devotion and instruction over two days. Now that's over, an answer you shall have...
The alleged report is that Chad told a number of people that his wife of 28 years would die soon.
Normal/mainstream beliefs of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints could potentially include prophetic revelations to all members. Such examples could be innocuous such as the revelation to cease playing Frontierville as it is a waste of time. We believe they aften come as thoughts, impressions or feelings. Thomas S. Monson (late president of the church, revered as a prophet by members) tells the story of such an impression. He had the thought to leave an important meeting and visit a man in the hospital. He had previously known that the man had taken a turn for the worst, but remained seated because it would be discourteous to leave. Later he left the meeting and rushed to the hospital finding the man had passed and his final words were calling for Monson's name.
President Thomas S. Monson: Man of Action, Man of Faith, Always ‘on the Lord’s Errand’
There are countless other stories like this. Normal/mainstream members would have heard this story repeated multiple times as an example of why it is so important to follow impressions of the Holy Spirit, and there is a sense of seeking guidance and following personal revelation. One key thing to understand is that we members believe in direction and guidance from a higher power. We come to expect it if we are living as we feel we should, keeping the commandments, loving our neighbor, paying our devotions to Heavenly Father, serving others, etc.. I can tell you that I have had such impressions that I truly believe are from heaven. In the vast majority of those experiences the end result when heeded was someone's life (including my own) was blessed. For example, I felt to take an alternate route home from work. Turns out there was an accident on the normal route. Was I protected from being in the accident? Who knows, but I got home safely and faster than if I was stuck in the resulting gridlock traffic. Nearly every time the result is a blessing to my life or others. Some times I have no idea what the result of following a prompting was. Nothing seemingly happened. However, every time I had an impression or revelatory feeling, I felt I had to do act in some way, to do something, say something.
The subtle difference between a prompting, thought, impression, feeling that a spouse will die and the reported from Thomas S. Monson that a man needs to be visited is that in the latter, there was an opportunity to love and serve the man who was sick. In the former, what benefit is there? None that I can see. Maybe it did happen. Maybe it was to prepare the surviving spouse and family for the situation they would be in. One could argue that the blessing was that he acted to prepare a greater life insurance policy, that was the blessing! He and they would be financially protected for years to come even though in mourning for the loss. However, we see that the funds have been frittered away and his apparent mourning was over in mere days.
Another key issue with the revelation of her impending death is that such deeply personal impressions are normally very, very, private and personal. In no situation can I see the benefit of sharing the forehand knowledge that one has impressions that one's spouse will die soon, even to the expected manner of death (car accident). Never. Because just as we believe that heaven can warn and guide through revelatory impressions and thoughts, we also feel that Satan can influence and give ideas that can imitate and insinuate, mimicking the same. However, we are counseled to test and try all impressions. Follow up with prayer, seek guidance and further knowledge from heaven to know of the truth. But, as such are so very private and personal, they shouldn't be shared in public or with others unless there's a very good reason.
Many people have a hard time with this, especially because the emotions around imposter impressions can be so strong. We believe Satan can play on feelings and influence behavior, but ultimately it's the responsibility of the person to act or not to act on those feelings. It would be interesting to figure out how often mainstream members of the faith are confused about their revelatory impressions.
Retrospectively, I think that the obvious result of Charles's death after Lori expected him to die was a focus on his dying. If the death wasn't planned as a trap, as in they just needed some reason to 'justify' self-defense with a gun against a baseball bat, then I would be surprised.
Chad's sharing the potential of Tammy's death before her actual death with Lori, MG, JR, or anyone else with whom he may have been romantically involved with, even if unreciprocated romantic feelings from his side is very suspect to me, and hopefully to many if not all members of the church.
I feel that normal LDS members would view the prior announcement that Tammy would die as very suspect.

Though....
Sorry, I don't know how to bold the original text- "I'm not sure if people are falling for the fake news that masks don't work, too tired of the isolation, or if they are just too stubborn and think it won't happen here because it didn't for so long."

As a Rexburg resident I can tell you that it is about a whole lotta "don't infringe on my rights". Also, the whole thing is a hoax that will end after the election, along with some strictly raised LDS youth who are experiencing their first real taste of freedom at BYUI. Most people I see without masks in stores are young students or the guys with the Trump flags in the backs of their pick up trucks. Sometimes it's hard to live here. Sigh. Also, a little the Lord will protect us is going on here. There's a reason Chad was drawn to this area. MOO.

Edit: Haha! Sorry! I just noticed the original poster was RexburgSleuth, so nevermind. You already know all this.
I agree. There is a subtle sense that 'we will be protected' underlying it. I do think reliance on revelation can go to a point where common sense and understanding of science take a back seat if even allowed in the car.

COVID-19 plus this Daybell saga is an interesting commentary on the area. We're quick to rely on revelation, but don't always verify its source. Also, common sense can be ignored. There are many, many people here who are wearing masks. What is the reason for those who don't? There are some who are refusing, some who wear a mask but then stand a foot apart in the store, some who wear the same mask without exchanging or washing it. Cases keep going up. Last week's high was 220 active cases, we're at 225 now.
Tableau Public (click the overview tab)
Madison school said they would close if over 200. They are closed due to potato harvest, but we hit 202 the day before the big homecoming game and dance the next day. None of that was closed or cancelled. I don't know if closing school will help or hurt the situation. It's not like closing the school has kept people from going out into the community. Are those who are participating in harvest wearing masks? How about those who are just using this as a vacation. There have been reports that students (statewide/nationwide) who are in online university classes are just traveling more since they aren't tied to a classroom. How much of that is happening here at BYU-Idaho?

I really hope but am not sure that a jury here would convict higher charges based on the evidence we've seen. I fear that there's enough local feeling of that independence plus faith mixed with reliance on divine intervention that a change of venue might be a good thing. By these I mean things I've heard locally...
Independence: this is just a government overreach–I know this is not my opinion, but for so long people were told she was protecting the kids! How many are going to believe that he had no idea the kids were dead and buried in his yard
Faith: if they did receive revelation who am I to doubt it
Divine intervention: if they're truly innocent they'll go free, if truly guilty something big will prove it in the evidence

ETA:
We've been asked not to discuss LDS teachings and doctrine so without getting into a detailed compare and contrast on this site I think we can just say that CD's and LVD's spiritual beliefs are not LDS teachings and differ significantly. This would be immediately apparent to a jury. I suspect that the prosecution will limit the discussion of the religious aspects as much as he can though. This is a complex case and he will need to amplify the provable evidence and try to cut through the noise that may confuse or distract a jury. MOO

Moderators, if I've overstepped with my opinion based on local observations, please snip my post. I'll self-report to alert to that possibility now.

I'm not sure that I have overstepped with my examples and my opinion of the mood and climate here with regard to religious beliefs. I was answering to what I felt potential jurors would consider as part of their decision in such a case.

If Lori and Chad ever admit to adhering to the zombie doctrine, they'll claim that they got all the light/dark/zombie designations through personal revelations. Lori told MG that she used to get a lot of revelations herself, but ended up relying on Chad's because he was better at receiving them. That was an opportunity for manipulation.

If Lori and Chad ever admit to adhering to the zombie doctrine, they'll claim that they got all the light/dark/zombie designations through personal revelations. Lori told MG that she used to get a lot of revelations herself, but ended up relying on Chad's because he was better at receiving them. That was an opportunity for manipulation.

And thats exactly how cults begin... we should never stop trusting our own inner voice and trade it for someone else's.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member