Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to folks. We have heard that they were married in HI, yet other posters have shown that Chad was a widower for just 2 weeks when that happened.

I'm confused as another poster has said that HI requires 30 days after divorce/death for them to be remarried.

Can someone enlighten/update my confusion? Was it indeed a legal marriage?

He needed a death certificate since it was within 30 days. As long as he had that, it was legal.

Marriage Licenses

Summary article: Parents of missing Rexburg children issue statement, attorney says they are ‘loving’ and ‘devoted’ | East Idaho News

Quotes from article:

Active death investigations
The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the suspicious death of Chad’s former wife, Tammy Daybell, who was 49 when she died.

She worked as a school librarian in Rexburg and Sugar City and was found deceased in her Salem home Oct. 19. Her death was believed to be from natural causes, according to a Rexburg Police Department news release, and she was buried shortly after in Springville, Utah.

But recently, questions were raised about her death and Fremont County Sheriff’s deputies had her remains exhumed Dec. 11. The Utah Office of the Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy, but the results of that investigation have not been released. On Friday, Rexburg police indicated they believed the death was related to the disappearance of Joshua and Tylee, but they did not specify how.

Fremont County Sheriff Len Humphries could not be reached for comment Monday.

The Chandler Arizona Police Department is investigating the death of Charles Anthony Vallow, the estranged husband of Lori. On July 11, Vallow was shot and killed by Lori’s brother, Alexander L. Cox, in a family fight.

According to Fox10 in Phoenix police in Chandler say first responders found Vallow with two gunshot wounds in the chest. Investigators told reporters the estranged couple began arguing when Cox stepped in, and a physical fight ensued. Vallow reportedly hit Cox with a baseball bat, and investigators believe Cox fatally shot him.

Cox died Dec. 12 in Gilbert, Arizona. His death and Vallow’s are active cases and are under investigation, the Chandler Police Department told EastIdahoNews.com on Monday.

Authorities believe Chad and Lori were married several weeks after the death of Tammy Daybell. [BBM]

‘In pretty serious danger’
Local authorities became involved in the investigation Nov. 26 after out-of-state family members contacted the department requesting a welfare check on Joshua, Lori’s adopted son with special needs. Police went to their home at 565 Pioneer Road in Rexburg after relatives said they hadn’t spoken to Joshua since September.

The children were not at the home during the check, and Rexburg Police Chief Shane Turman said the parents lied about their whereabouts.

“They’ve told us several stories about where the children are, but when we investigate, the children don’t exist where they say they should,” Turman said Friday. “We don’t know where they are at, but we think they are in pretty serious danger.”

The next day, Arizona authorities contacted Rexburg Police regarding a cell phone ping at the same Rexburg address, according to a Madison County Sheriff’s Office log. The log states it was in relation to a missing child case. Rexburg Police Capt. Gary Hagen told EastIdahoNews.com the call also had to do with the Arizona death investigations. [BBM]

Following the request, Rexburg Police executed search warrants at the home. Investigators determined the Daybells abruptly left the house and city. Police do not believe the children were with them when they took off. [BBM]

Hagen said investigators are unaware of how Daybell and Vallow left Rexburg – whether by car or airplane. [BBM]

“We’ve been digging into that, and that’s still part of the whole investigation,” Hagen said.

According to a Rexburg Police news release, Joshua was last seen at Kennedy Elementary School on Sept. 23. Tylee was last seen that month as well. [BBM]

Police did not comment on why the school did not report Joshua’s absence and why the children had not been reported missing to any law enforcement agency. [BBM]

Investigators are still searching for any information regarding the children and the Daybells.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the children since September is asked to contact the Rexburg Police Department, at (208) 359-3000, or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), at (800) THE-LOST. [BBM]

This is an excellent summary.
When did Chad and Lori go to Hawaii? Or was that Lori and Charles? It seems like Lori and Charles went to Hawaii frequently, probably because of Charles' business.

At one point Charles and Lori apparently had, or planned to open, a coffee shop in Hawaii. I'm not sure how that venture ended. Does anyone remember? (Again, it's back in thread #1.)

I believe that psychotropic medications for children are controversial. There are actually not a lot of peer reviewed articles about the efficacy of "black box" medication for children.

CPS can take kids away from parents who are depriving a child of medication for cancer, diabetes, other physical conditions. But I don't believe that CPS can mandate "medical neglect" for not giving a child psychotropic medications.

At one point Charles and Lori apparently had, or planned to open, a coffee shop in Hawaii. I'm not sure how that venture ended. Does anyone remember? (Again, it's back in thread #1.)
I believe according to Charles sister Kay interview it was a 'juice bar' and it didn't sound like Hawaii was a great move for the couple as they allegedly returned to AZ per Kay due to the very high cost of living.

I believe that psychotropic medications for children are controversial. There are actually not a lot of peer reviewed articles about the efficacy of "black box" medication for children.

CPS can take kids away from parents who are depriving a child of medication for cancer, diabetes, other physical conditions. But I don't believe that CPS can mandate "medical neglect" for not giving a child psychotropic medications.

Idaho Code states "well being" not "life threatening". I'm attaching the link. Its item #31.

Section 16-1602 – Idaho State Legislature

Despite hundreds of tips, investigators say they're no closer to finding missing Rexburg kids | East Idaho News

Quotes from article:

1. Regarding Custody Battle Claims:

On Friday, Hagen did address rumors that cropped up online that this is all related to a child custody battle.

“That’s what they claim, but we have proved that there is no active custody battle,” Hagen said. [BBM]

Police say the last time anyone saw Joshua and Tylee was in Rexburg in September. The Daybells were last seen Nov. 26.

Other quotes:

REXBURG — Investigators have received hundreds of possible tips regarding the location of 7-year-old Joshua “JJ” Vallow and 17-year-old Tylee Ryan.

“I don’t think we’re any closer than what we were two weeks ago … (and) time is always of the essence in any case, especially something like this,” Rexburg Police Capt. Gary Hagen told EastIdahoNews.com on Friday.

The tips have been coming in from all across the country since the kids’ disappearance was announced last Friday. Hagen says he has a team of eight officers that spend a great deal of time following up and coordinating checks on the credible tips they receive.

The department also continues to have regular meetings with the FBI’s Salt Lake City office, the Fremont County Sheriff’s office, and police in the Arizona cities of Chandler and Gilbert. They are interviewing family and friends, following leads and they continue to monitor the situation.

“Every investigative tool out there, we’ve been using,” Hagen said. “Right now, we’re just actively seeking those kids and doing follow-ups with all those tips that have been pouring in. Maybe we have a tip in the pile that we are going through and something in five minutes will break.”

Joshua and Taylee have been missing since September, and their mother, Lori Daybell, and stepfather, Chad Daybell, are refusing to cooperate with police in their attempts to speak with the children to perform a welfare check.

RELATED: Police searching for Rexburg children believed to be in serious danger

Although they have been named persons of interest in the disappearance of the children, no charges have been filed. Hagen says police still simply want to speak to the parents about the whereabouts of Joshua and Taylee.

“We just strongly feel that if the mom and dad felt like or if they knew that the kids were safe, they would show proof of it, but we have yet to see anything,” Hagen said.

The Daybells have retained Rexburg attorney Sean Bartholick, of Rigby, Andrus & Rigby, to act as their spokesman and legal counsel. Hagen confirms local prosecutors are in talks with Bartholick, but the details of those conversations can’t be shared publicly.
Investigations into spouses’ deaths
Investigators also continue to look at connections between the missing children case and the deaths of the Daybells’ former spouses.

Daybell’s first wife, Tammy, was found dead in her Fremont County home on Oct. 19, according to a release from the Rexburg Police Department. Authorities initially thought her death was from natural causes but have since deemed her death suspicious and exhumed her remains on Dec. 11.

Fremont County Sheriff Len Humphries told EastIdahoNews.com on Friday investigators are still awaiting results from the autopsy, before they can move forward. It will be several weeks before the results are released. [BBM]

Humphries also said Bartholick contacted his office to notify them that he is representing the Daybells, but Humphries said no other information was yielded from that conversation.

Chad and Lori are thought to have been married several weeks after the death of Tammy Daybell.

Authorities also continue to look into the death of Lori’s former spouse, Charles Vallow, who was shot and killed in July by her brother Alex Cox. Authorities in Maricopa County, Arizona, are investigating that case as well. Police in Arizona have not released any updates as of Friday afternoon.

No charges have been filed in either case.

If you are referencing @Smoore36 post upthread, that poster indicated the medical harm in discontinuing the meds cold turkey, without the supervision of a physician, which can be extremely dangerous depending on the drug. Not whether the child should be required to take the psychotropic meds. Moo.

Do you have to have an account to search for people/watch videos? (Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get one since I have a 14 year old and a 13 year old! They TELL ME they aren’t on there, but.... ya know.)
I have it on my phone since my kid is on there, though she doesn’t really post. I admit that I really like some of the little videos on there. Some are really funny. Especially the animals.

Summary article: Parents of missing Rexburg children issue statement, attorney says they are ‘loving’ and ‘devoted’ | East Idaho News

Quotes from article:

Active death investigations
The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the suspicious death of Chad’s former wife, Tammy Daybell, who was 49 when she died.

She worked as a school librarian in Rexburg and Sugar City and was found deceased in her Salem home Oct. 19. Her death was believed to be from natural causes, according to a Rexburg Police Department news release, and she was buried shortly after in Springville, Utah.

But recently, questions were raised about her death and Fremont County Sheriff’s deputies had her remains exhumed Dec. 11. The Utah Office of the Medical Examiner conducted an autopsy, but the results of that investigation have not been released. On Friday, Rexburg police indicated they believed the death was related to the disappearance of Joshua and Tylee, but they did not specify how.

Fremont County Sheriff Len Humphries could not be reached for comment Monday.

The Chandler Arizona Police Department is investigating the death of Charles Anthony Vallow, the estranged husband of Lori. On July 11, Vallow was shot and killed by Lori’s brother, Alexander L. Cox, in a family fight.

According to Fox10 in Phoenix police in Chandler say first responders found Vallow with two gunshot wounds in the chest. Investigators told reporters the estranged couple began arguing when Cox stepped in, and a physical fight ensued. Vallow reportedly hit Cox with a baseball bat, and investigators believe Cox fatally shot him.

Cox died Dec. 12 in Gilbert, Arizona. His death and Vallow’s are active cases and are under investigation, the Chandler Police Department told EastIdahoNews.com on Monday.

Authorities believe Chad and Lori were married several weeks after the death of Tammy Daybell. [BBM]

‘In pretty serious danger’
Local authorities became involved in the investigation Nov. 26 after out-of-state family members contacted the department requesting a welfare check on Joshua, Lori’s adopted son with special needs. Police went to their home at 565 Pioneer Road in Rexburg after relatives said they hadn’t spoken to Joshua since September.

The children were not at the home during the check, and Rexburg Police Chief Shane Turman said the parents lied about their whereabouts.

“They’ve told us several stories about where the children are, but when we investigate, the children don’t exist where they say they should,” Turman said Friday. “We don’t know where they are at, but we think they are in pretty serious danger.”

The next day, Arizona authorities contacted Rexburg Police regarding a cell phone ping at the same Rexburg address, according to a Madison County Sheriff’s Office log. The log states it was in relation to a missing child case. Rexburg Police Capt. Gary Hagen told EastIdahoNews.com the call also had to do with the Arizona death investigations. [BBM]

Following the request, Rexburg Police executed search warrants at the home. Investigators determined the Daybells abruptly left the house and city. Police do not believe the children were with them when they took off. [BBM]

Hagen said investigators are unaware of how Daybell and Vallow left Rexburg – whether by car or airplane. [BBM]

“We’ve been digging into that, and that’s still part of the whole investigation,” Hagen said.

According to a Rexburg Police news release, Joshua was last seen at Kennedy Elementary School on Sept. 23. Tylee was last seen that month as well. [BBM]

Police did not comment on why the school did not report Joshua’s absence and why the children had not been reported missing to any law enforcement agency. [BBM]

Investigators are still searching for any information regarding the children and the Daybells.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the children since September is asked to contact the Rexburg Police Department, at (208) 359-3000, or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), at (800) THE-LOST. [BBM]

I keep seeing how police don't believe the kids were with Chad and Lori when they took off... how did LE come to that conclusion?

So the big bouncing ball in this story is likely Charles' life insurance payout. While it's guessed that Charles took Lori out as beneficiary of his $2M policy, it's likely that he named JJ as the new bene. Now, since Charles knew Lori was gunning for him, and being properly paranoid (not enough evidently) he should have made the funds go into an account that is not controlled by Lori. He could have named someone other than Lori as Trustee of his funds. So, it's likely that JJ is now a multi-millionaire, with $2M in the stock market earning 15%. What is Lori to do? This could be the nexus of the "Custody" battle. It's not a custody battle over JJ necessarily, but over the $2 Million.

What's a whacky cult nut job to do? Hide out, hide your wife, hide your kids, they rapin' eva body out here, and hire an attorney, evidently.

MOO
MOO Maybe she’s using JJ as a pawn... “give me access to the money or you’ll never see him again” sort of thing. ETA posted too soon since Afitzy already mentioned this! I think this theory could have some legs.

Last edited:
Do you think "custody battle" is just a term Lori, Chad and their supporters are using because they perceive that government intervention, child welfare checks etc as interference with parental rights. Hence they are framing it as a custody battle between two parties, when it is actually government involvement. The battle cry in something like this is: "The government is coming for our kids!"

Also cults and prepper groups tend to be anti-govt as it is, so their followers, supporters etc are going to see the police, FBI etc as heavy handed governmental interference with their "individual rights". We saw this with David Koresh.

Even though these children are endangered and may no longer be with us, they are spinning it as the government getting in their business.

If you are referencing @Smoore36 post upthread, that poster indicated the medical harm in discontinuing the meds cold turkey, without the supervision of a physician, which can be extremely dangerous depending on the drug. Not whether the child should be required to take the psychotropic meds. Moo.

Correct. In my experience, there have been multiple open CPS cases due to the lack of consistency with the psychotropic meds. The reports came from the schools and doctor’s offices as teachers and physicians were aware that a parent was being neglectful with ensuring their children were adequately taking their medications (mostly for adhd and sleep). These children displayed concerning behaviors when their medications were not regulated. Thanks for clarifying!

The whole custody issue is confusing. How long had Lori and Charles been separated when he died? It's been said Charles had custody of JJ, but how is that possible if Lori and Charles were still married? Wouldn't they both have had equal custody? Unless there was some sort of pre-divorce temporary order in place? Had anyone (Lori or Charles) actually filed for divorce yet?

Last edited:
Do you think "custody battle" is just a term Lori, Chad and their supporters are using because they perceive that government intervention, child welfare checks etc are an interference with parental rights. Hence they are framing it as a custody battle between two parties, when it is actually government involvement. The battle cry in something like this is: "The government is coming for our kids!"

Also cults and prepper groups tend to be anti-govt as it is, so their followers, supporters etc are going to see the police, FBI etc are going to see this as heavy handed governmental interference with their "individual rights". We saw this with David Koresh.

Even though these children are endangered and may no longer be with us, they are spinning it as the government getting in their business.

I think that people are more sophisticated now, when it comes to consenting adults, do whatever they want...but children need protection. There was a lot of sympathy for the FSLDS folks in Colorado City, UT for years. After the debacle of tearing kids away from Mama's arms in the 60's and 70's.

But then, "Tapestry of Polygamy" turned the entire polygamy groups into a "child rape culture", and that received a lot more attention, and respect. That validation was that laws are being broken. Children needed protection.

Times have changed. Sure, there are plenty of folks who have fringe anti-government groups...and they have no problem with toting guns to protect rights of adults.

In this situation, the police are asking a reasonable question, "Where are the kids"? They are not threatening to take them away. I see this as an important distinction. They want to verify that the kids are okay.

The fact that Lori and Chad are deceptive on this, has been what actually has created this fiasco.

I agree, there are not a lot of peer reviewed journals around the efficiency of black box medication. And CPS will not take children away solely on parents not giving them medications. CPS will open their case and put services in place to ensure the parents comply with medication recommendations. The concern is that JJ more than likely stopped his medication cold turkey which can have side effects IMO. In some cases that can be deemed as medical neglect which I have witnessed in my own experience. Parents have the right to take their children off psychotropic medications after following up with their physician and following a plan to ween them off. I’m also assuming JJ has not been to any follow up appointments with his prescribing physician which can also be seen as neglectful IMO. Or I could be completely wrong as we are unable to have access to his medical records.

Do you think "custody battle" is just a term Lori, Chad and their supporters are using because they perceive that government intervention, child welfare checks etc as interference with parental rights. Hence they are framing it as a custody battle between two parties, when it is actually government involvement. The battle cry in something like this is: "The government is coming for our kids!"

Also cults and prepper groups tend to be anti-govt as it is, so their followers, supporters etc are going to see the police, FBI etc are going to see this as heavy handed governmental interference with their "individual rights". We saw this with David Koresh.

Yeah, IMO, they are using the non existent child custody battle to drum up support for hiding the kids. And to make themselves look like victims of the big bad government. Any person with half a brain would be able to see through this. But nooooo, they publicly support Chad and Lori. And tell followers not to talk to LE. I guess they never heard of OJ charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025