Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom, stepfather found* #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“She just seemed off. There were a lot of strange goings-on at their home to the point that a judge ordered cameras to be put in their home to protect the children,” Cheryl recalls.

Charles Vallow's ex-wife had concerns about Lori Daybell over 10 years ago and thinks his shooting death was '100% planned' | East Idaho News

I'd love to know more about what would cause a judge to order cameras to be put in the home to protect the children. That's something I haven't heard of before...

He died aged 59. They had to go to someone IMO. My guess is Lori got them. I could be wrong but the discussion at the time is whether or not she had any income so it is just speculation regarding a possible source. It's not gospel or anything.
But if Lori and JR were divorced 14 years before he died, don't you think he would have made someone else the beneficiary of any possible funds? Considering the problems in the years since the divorce, custody issues, her brother assaulting him, I would not expect her to receive any money at his death. She was married to Charles Vallow for 13 years up till July and I expect that he has been her comfortable source of income for 13 years, if he truly made 20,000 a month, that's a lot of money to be able to spend and to save. From what others have said, it sounds like he was very generous with family also. MOO.

Yes, I wondered if there was more truth to this than we think. Could they have set Tylee and JJ up in a rental with a well paid nanny/minder they trust (or even finagled a way to buy a house without their name being associated with it), taken their phones away and not connected internet to the house, told them it's for their own good, and they are living somewhere on Kauai still going to the beach and such? Then Charles and Lori are jumping rental to rental until they can get the family back together. Just look at that island. So many places to hide.

Note: I am not attributing and caring or altruistic characteristics to Lori here.
If anyone is hiding the children, whether paid to do it or not, don't you think they would want to go to the police, since this has become a LE matter? Also, wouldn't the police have record of Tylee and JJ on flight records, if they had come to Hawaii?

I'd love to know more about what would cause a judge to order cameras to be put in the home to protect the children. That's something I haven't heard of before...

Im thinking it had something to do with what her sons told her after returning from summers/holidays with Charles. She said she didn't interact with Lori much, so doubtful its something she witnessed. Probably something like
Sons to mom:"Mom, dads new wife does X and its really weird"
Mom to Charles: "Kids are saying Lori is doing X"
Charles to Lori: "Are you doing X"
Lori to Charles: "No, never, its all made up"
Mom to Court: "Kids say X is happening when they're there, but Lori denies it"
Judge to Lori: "Camera time!"

Couldn't have been anything too drastic like assault/abuse, otherwise I'm not sure the boys mother would be alright with sending them back to that environment, cameras or not. I'm wondering if it was something like making the boys watch the younger kids while she went out all day. Other not so drastic threats to the older kids that cameras would catch? Smoking in the house? Other substance use? Most of the things I would think of (harsh discipline, neglect) wouldn't really apply to Charles' older sons whose protection the cameras were theoretically for. They were old enough to mostly take care of themselves, and way too big for spankings.

*EDIT* Just had a thought, maybe she wasn't being mean to the boys, but too nice. She's much younger than Charles, maybe she was dressing in a way that the boys felt was inappropriate or being too touchy for a stepmom.

Last edited:
But if Lori and JR were divorced 14 years before he died, don't you think he would have made someone else the beneficiary of any possible funds? Considering the problems in the years since the divorce, custody issues, her brother assaulting him, I would not expect her to receive any money at his death. She was married to Charles Vallow for 13 years up till July and I expect that he has been her comfortable source of income for 13 years, if he truly made 20,000 a month, that's a lot of money to be able to spend and to save. From what others have said, it sounds like he was very generous with family also. MOO.
A bit of housecleaning he failed to do. Sad it didn’t go to a trust for Tylee

I listened and it sounds like Colby was kept in the dark about a lot of things. When Charles was killed, Colby was initially told Charles had a heart attack. He questions why Charles had to be shot even if there was a fight. He didn't know anything about Chad. Lori didn't even tell him where she was moving when she and the kids moved to Idaho. He was communicating with Tylee via text messages (after the move to Idaho) but now he thinks that these text messages stopped sounding like they were actually coming from Tylee at some point after the move. Lori was using Tylee's Venmo account to send Colby money because Lori wasn't tech savvy (I guess Lori couldn't figure out how to set up her own). It also sounds like Lori told LE children were with Colby when LE came to her house on November 26th, because Colby says two detectives showed up in his house asking where the kids were, and he told them the kids were not with him.

I think we have our answer on where Lori told the detectives the kids were.

Church members can say as much as they want, they are here. I just think it hasn’t been a big story in Kauai until recently. Who knows, some members may say a ton. They don’t need statements from leadership to talk about anything.
Yes, it apparently wasn't a big story, the two of them were on Kauai for over a month and no one seemed to be aware that there was this big hunt for them! I wouldn't be surprised if the Bishop and members at the ward were not even aware who they were, unless they told who they were or the reporter told people. We may be tuned into this story but 95% of the rest of the world isn't, MOO.

If anyone is hiding the children, whether paid to do it or not, don't you think they would want to go to the police, since this has become a LE matter? Also, wouldn't the police have record of Tylee and JJ on flight records, if they had come to Hawaii?
Agreed. It is 2020 and kids those kids would have had tickets, a digital footprint and on some sort of surveillance in airports or a rental car place. LE has said over and over the kids never have been in Hawaii. These 2 adults are acting as if on extended honeymoon and the kids were disappeared before catching a flight to Hawaii.MOO

MOO

I suspect that there are two main motivations for Chad and Lori to begin attending church in Hawaii.

1. To be seen in public to try to dispel the reports that they are in hiding in Hawaii

2. To cultivate and develop a relationship with a local, isolated religious community in order to take advantage of them, likely monetarily, and to grow their flock of followers
Josh Powell (Susan Powell's husband) did the same thing. He had stopped attending church a while before Susan disappeared, but then when he moved back to Washington with his two sons, he showed up at church and attended for awhile, even though he'd already made the decision he didn't believe anymore. They usually have some motive or reason. Often to gain sympathy, good will or to support a certain image. MOO.

A bit of housecleaning he failed to do. Sad it didn’t go to a trust for Tylee
I suppose that's possible, but to forget to change the beneficiary from your creepy ex wife to someone more deserving.... for 14 years? Have the Woodcocks said anything about money, benefits that Lori receives from JR's estate? I've assumed this was all speculation put forward that she got money from his death in 2017, but seems like any money would have gone to Tylee or to others in his family. It is possible, that if Tylee inherited anything, Lori might have had access or control of it before Tylee becomes 18, but this is just speculation as far as I know, I don't think we know one way or the other, do we? MOO.

I mean...wow! I'm completely flabbergasted at the level of crazy and destruction that is involved here. Cults, religious leaders, killing of spouses, killing of in-laws, brother as hit man, money, missing children, apocalyptic books, etc...I think this will rank right up there as one of the truly most bizarre cases Websleuths has ever seen, and we've seen some doozies!

That was my reaction as well. I have never seen a case this crazy.

It will surely become a huge national story at some point IMO.

Do you think the kids are in hiding there?
No. But if someone wanted to hide here they easily could. There are so many restrictions on the police that they would never be found. There are missing person reports a few times a week on Hawaii Island alone and people are often found only after a couple of years. When people are wanted by the cops it can take much longer. There are enough family and community connections that people can hide. It would be more difficult for Lori given her more "touristy" connection to Kauai. But one sympathetic friend from when she lived here would be all it would take.

I think she has the kids in hiding. But I don't think it would be in Hawaii since it would be too hard to get them here discreetly. I realize they could fly without ID but there would be airline tickets bought and so forth. Not impossible but not that easy. Easier to stash with an AVOWer in Idaho or Arizona.

I'm now swayed a bit by this latest revelation she's had no qualms for years about taking off and leaving children mostly unattended. Jmo.
This did seem to be a pattern with her. While others have said she was 'such a great mom', I think she was a hands off kind of parent, letting them do their own thing, because it was less stress for her-- like letting Tylee sort of do homeschool rather than having to answer to a public school system with its parent teacher conferences etc. I suspect that having JJ, with his extra needs put a cramp in her style and from her statement to the police when Charles was killed, I think she was chafing and frustrated with having to be a more involved parent with JJ, (disappearing with just Tylee to hawaii and leaving Charles to figure out what to do with JJ back in Feb) I think she resented that Charles was busy with work and the responsibility for JJ fell on her. Why she didn't just get another Nanny, I don't know. I've started to wonder if JJ's special needs were beginning to be a source of frustration and resentment and why she'd want to abandon her family for an intense, exciting new life with an author she was obsessed with. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member