IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A week before the alleged attack, Smollett told police he received a threatening letter at work. Witnesses told police a postal worker dropped off the letter at the Chicago studio where “Empire” is filmed. It was postmarked in southwest suburban Bedford Park on Jan. 18 and bore two American flag stamps. The letters “MAGA” were handwritten in the upper-left corner of the envelope.

Prosecutors said Smollett staged the attack because he was unhappy with the studio's response to the threatening letter. Chicago police took it a step further, accusing Smollett of faking the letter as well.

Jussie Smollett indicted on 16 counts over allegedly phony claims of racist, homophobic attack

The letter is the subject of a separate federal investigation.

A week before the alleged attack, Smollett told police he received a threatening letter at work. Witnesses told police a postal worker dropped off the letter at the Chicago studio where “Empire” is filmed. It was postmarked in southwest suburban Bedford Park on Jan. 18 and bore two American flag stamps. The letters “MAGA” were handwritten in the upper-left corner of the envelope.

Prosecutors said Smollett staged the attack because he was unhappy with the studio's response to the threatening letter. Chicago police took it a step further, accusing Smollett of faking the letter as well.

Jussie Smollett indicted on 16 counts over allegedly phony claims of racist, homophobic attack

The letter is the subject of a separate federal investigation.

The reason being any crime committed via US mail is a federal offense. The US PS used to have their own police, similar to the FBI. (I hope they still do, but not sure after so many cuts by Congress). Those kinds of charges usually involve more serious crimes, though, like theft, terrorist threats, mailing explosives (remember the Unabomber?).

The whole situation is sad and wasted the time of a lot of people, but JMO, sending fake death threats to yourself doesn't seem to rise to the level of a serious crime. It seems the only person Smollett really injured was himself.

The reason being any crime committed via US mail is a federal offense. The US PS used to have their own police, similar to the FBI. (I hope they still do, but not sure after so many cuts by Congress). Those kinds of charges usually involve more serious crimes, though, like theft, terrorist threats, mailing explosives (remember the Unabomber?).

The whole situation is sad and wasted the time of a lot of people, but JMO, sending fake death threats to yourself doesn't seem to rise to the level of a serious crime. It seems the only person Smollett really injured was himself.

The USPS still has a team of postal inspectors assign to post offices in every state.

One of our good friends has been a postal inspector for years. He is in charge in his district covering about 40 different post offices.

Even though they rarely are public, they are some of the most elite law enforcement investigators in the country.

Usually the post offices that have them, will have hidden walkways inside the post offices where they can see all the workers on the work room floors, but the workers are unable to see the PIs.

They not only investigate any criminal activity happening inside the USPS employees, but they are very involved with the FBI when crimes happen by using the postal service as an avenue to committ their crimes whether it is country wide or international crimes.

Imo

THIS is just factual. Not being political, just asking a question.

I wonder if JS has/had any political aspirations?

If you google JS and Obama, interesting set of pictures pop up.

Good observation! Had this stunt not come unraveled it would have made a compelling case for JS to run for office to “clean up the wrongs I have suffered personally...” and been a great gimmick.

Hope he receives the maximum possible sentence if convicted because this went way beyond being a “prank” and manipulated the media and everyone around it. That’s my opinion.

True, but imho, he didn't have to do much to manipulate many of MSM who devoted so much airtime to this hate crime hoaxster.

Jmo

He made a terrorist threat. Just because the letter was addressed to him didn’t mean it didn’t affect others.

Postal inspectors are needed more than ever before, and now are more actively investigating countless serious federal crimes, since our country has been targeted by homegrown, and international terrorists.

Plus trafficking drugs from state to state or from another foreign country, who often uses our mail system to transport drugs.

What I dont understand though is the mail carrier who delivered the so called hate letter to Jussie, should have red lined it immediately, and notified the postal inspector then, before even delivering it.

Maybe because it looked like it had been done by a small child the carrier didnt think it was threatening. No matter what, I imagine the PI is raking that person over the coals for going against protocols.

I'm sure they have spoken with the delivery carrier in depth.

Tragically it wouldnt be the first time a mail carrier was also involved doing something criminal for money.

I just read an article last month where a mail carrier was willingly delivering drugs on their route for a known drug gang member, iirc.

I just cant understand why it wasnt red flagged before it was even delivered since there was a chance dangerous powder could have been inside the envelope like other idiots have done in the not too distant past.

Imo

Last edited:
I personally think the white powder hoax letter complaint is currently in front of a federal grand jury, being evaluated for charges. (Those proceedings are always secret.) This letter was taken very seriously-- a full Hazmat response, etc. Diversion of emergency resources, emotional distress, chaos at the workplace, diversion of FBI resources, etc. Not a victimless crime.

IMO, there is no way he won't face some federal charges for the white powder letter. He "could" also be facing separate federal civil rights/ hate crime charges stemming from the political and racial aspects of his state crime hoax (blaming it on MAGA-hatted white attackers, etc.)

"White powder letters" are very serious crimes, and are taken very seriously. Numerous individuals have received prison time, in addition to huge fines ($50,000+).

Federal penalties are up to 5 years in prison, and up to $250K fines/ restitution. I got more than 8 million hits when I used a search engine to look at "white powder letters crimes".

JS may likely plead the 16 state felonies down to 1-4 years of jail time, followed by lengthy parole. But when (not "if") the federal charges drop, he's looking at real time. He will be re-arrested, have separate arraignment, have separate hearings, separate trial (if no plea), and separate sentencing. (IMO.)

Sentences won't run concurrently, because the charges will be separate crimes (state and federal). They literally "can't" consider the crimes together-- the letter is a separate federal crime from the state hoax charges. And....he's gonna need TWO separate teams of attorneys, IMO-- for a lengthy period of time (1-2 years) leading up to sentencing. That won't come cheap.

Meanwhile, he will be "cancelled" by Hollywood, and won't get any work. In a few days to weeks, he'll be let go from his current contract, IMO, and no one will pick him up with charges and sentencing pending. Actors (esp ones with troubled legal and substance abuse histories) often need insurance coverage to obtain their contracts in the performing arts industries, to protect the investment and "product" (TV show, music, etc) of the contract grantor-- and what insurance company will insure him in these tangled circumstances?? Attorney fees (high profile celebrity attorneys) will quickly bankrupt him.

Some interesting articles on "white powder letter" crimes and hoaxes.

White Powder Scares Cost Law Enforcement Time, Money

Is It a Crime to Mail White Powder Even If It's Harmless?

How Fake Bioterrorism Attacks Became a Real Problem

Last edited:
I agree KZ.

BTW, nice to 'see' you again. LTNS!

The feds won't care if he is named Mussie, or Jussie.

The Feds always take these kind of crimes very seriously as they should.

If he is convicted by the Feds do you think he also will be given a stiff fine with the amount of money, and time it took the Feds to investigate his hoax letter in total?

Imo

If he is convicted by the Feds do you think he also will be given a stiff fine with the amount of money, and time it took the Feds to investigate his hoax letter in total?

(Respectfully snipped for focus.)

The trend on the cases enumerated on the internet seems to be fines + prison time. I haven't read of any "white powder" cases where the perp got off without time and a fine, but maybe there are some that haven't made the news.

With a full Hazmat response team, plus weeks of FBI investigation, I'd think fines/ restitution could be $50K plus just for the one letter.

We haven't discussed it much yet, but I'd think he couldl also eventually face some civil legal complaints. Possibly from traumatized workers in the offices where the letter was received. Co-workers on the show (esp if the show is cancelled abruptly in the next few months). Etc.

There may even eventually be some kind of civil action against JS from groups representing or supporting the President's campaign because of the overt slogan and targeting of supporters of the President. JS has a long history of activism, and in his RR interview he himself said he thinks he was "targeted" for the attack because "he goes hard against 45." IDK. This has wide tentacles, IMO.

Those kind of potential civil actions may come to nothing, but will take months to years to conclude in the court system. And a lot more lawyers to defend JS.

THIS is just factual. Not being political, just asking a question.

I wonder if JS has/had any political aspirations?

If you google JS and Obama, interesting set of pictures pop up.

He can kiss that goodbye. And politics, his "friends" are wiping him off like something bad on their shoe. Seems like his Hollywood "friends" will do that too.

Smollett is burning through cash now. Attorneys, security staff. He isn't rich enough to maintain that lifestyle for long.

Someone who had so much going for him...it is amazing to me how he screwed up his life so completely, so quickly. I feel for his family. They should have helped him own up, I bet if he had, it would not have come to this point.

What was the reason for promoting this “fake” racist attack.?

I don’t see this as a way to get more money.
Attention. Fame. Poor me. If it had worked out.

Also, during his Troubadour concert and GMA interview, Smollett bragged about fighting off his attackers. I think he was going for a "gay but tough" reputation, which would give him street cred for his rap music. Smollett even said he is the gay Tupac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214