IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The grand jury returned two separate sets of charges. The first set are related to what Smollett told officers about the alleged attack, including that the attackers called him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with his their hands, put a noose around his neck, and poured some sort of chemical substance on him."

"The second set of charges are related to the second interview Smollett had with police about the alleged attack later that day."

"Experts believe it is likely he will strike a plea deal and potentially not spend time in prison."

This will be so disappointing if he does not serve prison time for this crime.

Last edited:
"The grand jury returned two separate sets of charges. The first set are related to what Smollett told officers about the alleged attack, including that the attackers called him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with his their hands, put a noose around his neck, and poured some sort of chemical substance on him.

The second set of charges are related to the second interview Smollett had with police about the alleged attack later that day."

"Experts believe it is likely he will strike a plea deal and potentially not spend time in prison."

This is so disappointing if he does not serve prison time for this crime.

Ita!

What kind of message will this send? 16 charges, and he does no prison time??

Would this happen to any average Joe, or Jane if they were indicted on 16 charges?

Imo, of course not. Gah.

Imo

This link has a link to the actual indictment. Jussie Smollett Case: Grand Jury Returns 16 Counts Against ‘Empire’ Actor I thought I saw on an earlier article the max prison sentence was 4 years? For 16 felonies? I cannot find the link now but surely that was a typo. Anyone else see that?

ETA All 16 counts are the same offense " false report of offense". ( disorderly conduct, which does not SEEM like a felony, but I guess you never know what some states classify some crimes.

This link has a link to the actual indictment. Jussie Smollett Case: Grand Jury Returns 16 Counts Against ‘Empire’ Actor I thought I saw on an earlier article the max prison sentence was 4 years? For 16 felonies? I cannot find the link now but surely that was a typo. Anyone else see that?

ETA All 16 counts are the same offense " false report of offense". ( disorderly conduct, which does not SEEM like a felony, but I guess you never know what some states classify some crimes.
I just saw this:

Jussie Smollett update: 'Empire' actor indicted on 16 felony counts by grand jury
A charge of felony disorderly conduct for filing a false police report carries a possible sentence of probation to three years.

"The grand jury returned two separate sets of charges. The first set are related to what Smollett told officers about the alleged attack, including that the attackers called him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with his their hands, put a noose around his neck, and poured some sort of chemical substance on him."

"The second set of charges are related to the second interview Smollett had with police about the alleged attack later that day."

This will be so disappointing if he does not serve prison time for this crime.
Nothing yet on possible prison time on Federal charges related to letter.

That's what I'm waiting for.....
Me too, Federal crimes have harsher sentencing guidelines.
Also, today's indictments are from Cook County Prosecutor Kim Foxx's office. She has national political aspirations and her office wants nothing to do with involvement in this case.
Federal Indictments and possible plea deals are not nearly as influenced by Chicago Democratic Machine politics.....

Found this interesting -
Illinois Disorderly Conduct Laws - FindLaw
§ 26-1.  Disorderly conduct.
[...]
a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he or she knowingly:
[...]
(4) Transmits or causes to be transmitted in any manner to any peace officer, public officer or public employee a report to the effect that an offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed, knowing at the time of the transmission that there is no reasonable ground for believing that the offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed;

b) Sentence.  A violation of subsection (a)(1) of this Section is a Class C misdemeanor.  A violation of subsection (a)(5) or (a)(11) of this Section is a Class A misdemeanor.  A violation of subsection (a)(8) or (a)(10) of this Section is a Class B misdemeanor.  A violation of subsection (a)(2), (a)(3.5), (a)(4), (a)(6), (a)(7), or (a)(9) of this Section is a Class 4 felony.  A violation of subsection (a)(3) of this Section is a Class 3 felony, for which a fine of not less than $3,000 and no more than $10,000 shall be assessed in addition to any other penalty imposed.
Punishable up to 6 years; Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes
(730 ILCS 5/5-4.5-45)
Sec. 5-4.5-45. CLASS 4 FELONIES; SENTENCE. For a Class 4 felony:
(a) TERM. The sentence of imprisonment shall be a determinate sentence of not less than one year and not more than 3 years. The sentence of imprisonment for an extended term Class 4 felony, as provided in Section 5-8-2 (730 ILCS 5/5-8-2), shall be a term not less than 3 years and not more than 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!