IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
May I add?

He is morally bankrupt, stupid, foolish and very ignorant to boot. IMO

He was willing to have innocent *white* people sent to prison (if they happened to be in the area or matched a description) for a hoax. IMO

He is a world class liar, we know this because those brothers are not *white* and they committed the so-called assault. IMO

No one *deserves* to be forgiven because their mother loved them and/or they were a child star. Not sure what 'intersectional' means but if it means gay, so are many other people who would never dream of using their 'preferences' as an excuse. That, also proves what kind of person he truly is.... IMO

As for his talent, perhaps he can sing to the other prisoners or have a talent show at his labour camp. IMO

Last edited:
You know, if the "pressures" of Hollywood were so intense that it is suggested these pressures "forced" him to plan and carry out a hate hoax crime, maybe...….he should have looked for a job/ career in the non-Hollywood world.

Sorry. His life wasn't hard at all. He was incredibly privileged at *every stage of his life*. He was NEVER any kind of victim in any way, IMO. Wallowing in self-obsessed pity because he wasn't as famous as he thought he should be? We're all supposed to feel sorry for him about that???

When the story broke and everyone believed JS was the victim of a hate crime, absolutely NO ONE was making excuses about the attackers. No one was opining about how much pressure the attackers were under. No one was writing sympathy pieces about the attackers, and how we should forgive them.

A lot of people WANTED this hoax to be true-- and that is the most appalling and disgusting part of all of these hoax crimes, IMO. That so many people are DISAPPOINTED when they find out the crime was a hoax, and then make excuses for the perp because the crimes "could have been" committed. How messed up is that?

"I'm About to Break": Jussie Smollett and the Pressure of Hollywood Fame

Wanh! This article is interesting, it tries to balance being neutral, while having input from a psychologist on "how hard it is for an actor to stay relevant, and how .much psychological pressure he has on him.".

So? The take away from this article is that Smollett is too wonderful to have done this, but if he did, it was because of Hollywood pressure?! Okay. Whatever.

You talking about the bill that makes lynching illegal?

Funny how lynching hasn't been a crime for all these years. Hmm...wonder if there has been a conspiracy about that?

jmo

Lynching is a crime. The anti lynching bill makes it a federal offense.

Connection

Not posting for conversation, maybe it’s a coincidence.

Snip

Smollett told police that early on the morning of Jan. 29 in Chicago

Chicago top cop: Police have 'a lot more evidence' against Jussie Smollett than has been disclosed so far

February 14, 2019 - 11:54 AM EST
Senate passes bill to make lynching a federal crime

Senate passes bill to make lynching a federal crime
Since 1918, there have been over 200 attempts at passing an antilynching law. The current bill that’s passed the Senate but not yet the House was introduced in June of 2018. IMO Jussie wasn’t playing the long game.
This bill couldn’t get past the GOP-led House in Dec, so they are trying again w/a Dem-led House. Other than when JS was mentioned on the floor during debate, I don’t think it has much to do w/him IMO.

Link to one of the first attempts (they also gives some history): Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill - Wikipedia
Another article about this (from Dec 2018): Why the Senate’s unanimous passage of an anti-lynching bill matters

I'm About to Break": Jussie Smollett and the Pressure of Hollywood Fame

This^^^ article is disgusting. It has 'PR CRISIS MODE' written all over it.

So we are supposed to feel sorry for the poor TV star, who was raking in between 65k to 125k per episode, for 18 episodes each season of Empire? We are supposed to feel sorry for him because he thought he should have been making MORE than that each week? Poor Jussie, how can one support themselves in this cruel cruel world when only being paid 1 to 2 million bucks season total for one TV episode a week?

Not only being paid a million or two, but getting a limo ride to and from work every day, free catered meals while at work, paid living expenses by the studio for the 4 month work season, and daily per diem checks to pay expenses.

Poor Poor Jussie, life is soooooo hard....

Last edited:
Some food for thought, as we process the whole JS debacle.

Can we "love the art, and hate the artist?" (Kind of the secular companion of "hate the sin, love the sinner"?)

Can we continue to ethically and morally consume the art produced by a reviled artist? What about the collateral damage to their co-artists?

We continue watching, separating or trying to separate the artist from the art. Either way: disruption. They are monster geniuses, and I don’t know what to do about them.

Can we, or should we, separate the "art" from the "artist"?

Or do we believe genius gets special dispensation, a behavioral hall pass?

Does it matter if the reviled artist is dead or still alive?

"And is it simply a matter of pragmatics? Do we withhold our support if the person is alive and therefore might benefit financially from our consumption of their work? Do we vote with our wallets? If so, is it okay to stream, say, a Roman Polanski movie for free? Can we, um, watch it at a friend’s house?"

What Do We Do with the Art of Monstrous Men?

Can anyone, ever again, watch Jussie on any screen and take him seriously, or will the image of him on Good Morning America forever play in their heads? If I had ever heard of, or watched him in the past, I wouldn't do it now.

Polanski is a different story. He wasn't in front of the camera. Like, who really reads the credits? I don't think there's any comparison of Smollett to Polanski. Seems like apples and lemons to me.

MOO

Since 1918, there have been over 200 attempts at passing an antilynching law. The current bill that’s passed the Senate but not yet the House was introduced in June of 2018. IMO Jussie wasn’t playing the long game.
This bill couldn’t get past the GOP-led House in Dec, so they are trying again w/a Dem-led House. Other than when JS was mentioned on the floor during debate, I don’t think it has much to do w/him IMO.

Link to one of the first attempts (they also gives some history): Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill - Wikipedia
Another article about this (from Dec 2018): Why the Senate’s unanimous passage of an anti-lynching bill matters

Absolutely true. The purpose of "anti-lynching" proposed legislation is not to actually PASS anti-lynching legislation. The purpose is to TALK ABOUT and repetitively use the word "lynching." To further the false idea that lynching is such a common, desperate, and pervasive problem that we must take immediate action to pass new laws -- ahead of other more pressing ordinary concerns. And in so doing, raise the profile of the virtue signaling proponents of such legislation.

It's a common political ploy-- author and introduce legislation that has no chance of passing, just to virtue signal, or create the circumstances to talk about it over and over in the media. Using the legislative process as a political weapon.

Perhaps, as I've suggested before, the more pressing conversation that needs to be had is about raising the penalties on hoax hate crimes to higher level mandatory felonies. This, IMO, deserves at least as much oxygen as the propaganda on passing additional "anti-lynching" legislation.

Politicians pounced on the Jussie Smollett claims because some of them knew him and his family very well, and it furthered their political posture to label it a "lynching". Perfect symbiosis. I don't think he planned this hoax with the input of politicians carrying an anti-lynching bill. But politicians never let a good crisis go to waste!

But JS certainly knew what the symbol of a noose represented, and he carefully and meticulously exploited it as he planned and carried out his hate hoax. It wasn't "enough" in his mind to have the evil symbolic red hats, racial and homophobic slurs, bleach, assault, and "masked white attackers". He very carefully considered the sum total of all of it, and made a very conscious and deliberate decision to include a noose, then made sure to keep it around his neck for about a half hour till he summoned police. (All of this, while carefully protecting his Subway sandwich until he returned to his apartment.)

I'm About to Break": Jussie Smollett and the Pressure of Hollywood Fame

This^^^ article is disgusting. It has 'PR CRISIS MODE' written all over it.

So we are supposed to feel sorry for the poor TV star, who was raking in between 65k to 125k per episode, for 18 episodes each season of Empire? We are supposed to feel sorry for him because he thought he should have been making MORE than that each week? Poor Jussie, how can one support themselves in this cruel cruel world when only being paid 1 to 2 million bucks season total for one TV episode a week?

Not only being paid a million or two, but getting a limo ride to and from work every day, free catered meals while at work, paid living expenses by the studio for the 4 month work season, and daily per diem checks to pay expenses.

Poor Poor Jussie, life is soooooo hard....

Agreed, I was just gonna say, that is clearly dirty pool in an avenue not open to other individuals accused of a crime as a matter of course, because it shrieks "a publicity representative shill planted and paid for this". Most people accused of a crime would have to go out and pay a separate person or firm to do this.

Can anyone, ever again, watch Jussie on any screen and take him seriously, or will the image of him on Good Morning America forever play in their heads? If I had ever heard of, or watched him in the past, I wouldn't do it now.

Polanski is a different story. He wasn't in front of the camera. Like, who really reads the credits? I don't think there's any comparison of Smollett to Polanski. Seems like apples and lemons to me.

MOO
And are we supposed to forget he threw his own brother under the bus in 2007?? o_OSmollett gave police false information in 2007 case

My issue with the puff piece, about Smollett, is that even if the hoax was a result of some "Hollywood Derangement Syndrome", his continued deliberate denial of involvement in a hoax negates the "mental break" defense. That ship has sailed. His opportunity to ask for mental health treatment and substance abuse treatment has passed with his emphatic denial of involvement.

Absolutely true. The purpose of "anti-lynching" proposed legislation is not to actually PASS anti-lynching legislation. The purpose is to TALK ABOUT and repetitively use the word "lynching." To further the false idea that lynching is such a common, desperate, and pervasive problem that we must take immediate action to pass new laws -- ahead of other more pressing ordinary concerns. And in so doing, raise the profile of the virtue signaling proponents of such legislation.

It's a common political ploy-- author and introduce legislation that has no chance of passing, just to virtue signal, or create the circumstances to talk about it over and over in the media. Using the legislative process as a political weapon.

Perhaps, as I've suggested before, the more pressing conversation that needs to be had is about raising the penalties on hoax hate crimes to higher level mandatory felonies. This, IMO, deserves at least as much oxygen as the propaganda on passing additional "anti-lynching" legislation.

Politicians pounced on the Jussie Smollett claims because some of them knew him and his family very well, and it furthered their political posture to label it a "lynching". Perfect symbiosis. I don't think he planned this hoax with the input of politicians carrying an anti-lynching bill. But politicians never let a good crisis go to waste!

But JS certainly knew what the symbol of a noose represented, and he carefully and meticulously exploited it as he planned and carried out his hate hoax. It wasn't "enough" in his mind to have the evil symbolic red hats, racial and homophobic slurs, bleach, assault, and "masked white attackers". He very carefully considered the sum total of all of it, and made a very conscious and deliberate decision to include a noose, then made sure to keep it around his neck for about a half hour till he summoned police. (All of this, while carefully protecting his Subway sandwich until he returned to his apartment.)
I respectfully disagree w/the first half of your post. I don’t think they’ve been trying for 100 years to pass an antilynching law because they don’t really want to pass it. People were actually lynched. And it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened today, just as I felt Jussie’s ‘noose’ story could be true. So I don’t mind it being a law. IMO it actually has a chance of passing and becoming law, which should’ve been done a long time ago.
But I completely agree w/the 2nd half. JS knew exactly what he was doing when he planned this. And I don’t know if they need to raise the penalties of hoax crimes (mainly because I don’t know what they are in every state) but at the very least, start charging and punishing people instead of letting them walk away w/a hand slap. People need to be made aware about the seriousness of reporting a fake crime.

Alex McDaniel, a name I've never heard of at all.
Guess he wants a bit of the action too, a split second of fame or at least his picture in the Daily Mail. Check that box.

ETA: the DailyMail is a rag, yellow journalism, a tabloid.

Since the arrest, there have been all sorts of tidbits planted in the media to sway opinion and for no other reason.

With no jury and no rules yet, its permissible and a short window in which to influence people.

This will continue until after there is a decision about JS and this 'event'.

Supposedly Abel got into a homophobic confrontation on set back in 2015:
Nigerian brother in Jussie Smollett scandal 'called gay extra homophobic slurs on set of Empire' | Daily Mail Online
However, if this was true why would JS be so buddy-buddy with the brothers and calling them at all hours of the night.
I don’t know, maybe the incident happened because he’s insecure about his sexual orientation MOO. But I can tell you how Jussie‘s lawyers will spin that. :rolleyes:

I don’t know, maybe the incident happened because he’s insecure about his sexual orientation MOO. But I can tell you how Jussie‘s lawyers will spin that. :rolleyes:

I question it since it sounds like Abel has worked for Empire for years since then an in fact he's a stand-in for a homosexual character. If that had actually happened they would have found a replacement if not immediately with that grounds for termination, but in the intervening years. It's not like stand-ins aren't replaceable and it doesn't make sense to have a homophobic stand-in for a homosexual role when you could get someone else.

I question it since it sounds like Abel has worked for Empire for years since then an in fact he's a stand-in for a homosexual character. If that had actually happened they would have found a replacement if not immediately with that grounds for termination, but in the intervening years. It's not like stand-ins aren't replaceable and it doesn't make sense to have a homophobic stand-in for a homosexual role when you could get someone else.
I think they dug up some homophobic tweets as well. IF true, the defense will be all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member