Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@osu

I can deal with a lot of crazy stuff, and have witnessed people dying more times than I can count as a nurse. That report got to me.
Part of it is because of his age and the other part is all the times a judge and/or DCFS could have stopped this before it got to this point and they failed to.

A 5 year old that wets his pants is punished? Not even sure where to start with that one. Each and every one of the people that could have stopped this needs to either be out of a job or not dealing with cases involving vulnerable people ever.

Something or some law has to be changed to prevent this. I'm now thinking about all the kids like Andrew who are abused regularly and DCFS either doesn't know about it or is not doing anything about it once they know.
The most sad part is he probably couldn't control his bladder caused by the heaps of torture,and abuse.
It's such BS they we're punishing him for lying about wetting his pants.
They lied through their scummy teeth about everything.
MOO

Her drug use left her w/o a functioning brain!
Any little thing set her off. Bet when she was using she never touched him. When her rush wore off & she had no stash, anyone or anything in her way was in danger of being killed. Moo
I doubt that.
No more excuses for this. She didn't have to take Andrew back. She could have done all the drugs she wanted to. She chose this.
MOO

Just omg that poor boy what he had to endure I feel so bad for his siblings what they went threw what they saw and heard I hope they can heal from this. Those charged will never get what the fully deserve even the death penalty is to light . May the ones charged live every day in fear just my opinion

PF was mentally abused by watching, hearing and seeing the aftermath of his older brother AJ being abused and living the way they did. I would bet my last dollar PF was physically abused as well. Maybe not to the extent as AJ was, but IMO he was physically abused.
jmo

I think you’re right, he didn’t have bruises & such at the time he was removed. As some suggest, the 4sec video of rotted teeth might be P’s mouth, maybe he’s still on a bottle?
Also @Tippy Lynn might JC abused AJ to taunt her mom?
Almost a ‘I can do it again & you won’t get this kid’, thing?

It will be interesting to see if anyone from the baby’s partenal side step up requesting custody of her.

Last edited:
My own opinion, I thing P was neglected and probably abused as well. In the documents from 2012, it appears that JC was having irrational thoughts. My guess is she was having hallucinations as well. I think that has continued or maybe started back up again. I wonder if she was having them the day AJ died. I keep going back to that line if thought but am unsure due to the drugs she was taking.
In the pics he looks like Zanny The Nanny looks after him.
Eyes glazed,vacant stare.
MOO

But she had money to go to a hotel for a day for no reason?

I think post 237 explains his job/office situation.

The hotel is interesting. Did she meet a friend there?
Was her purpose to have a big drug rendezvous?
IMO, the pool wasn’t the main reason for her visit.
Maybe she’s has a friend working there that gives her rooms? House in foreclosure only means they chose to not pay back their refi, imo. Remember, JC had $300 (or more) to bond out after her arrest on traffic charges.

Now, when mom was passed out after her heroin rush, look at all the things two little guys could get into. That was likely part of her problem. Each time she came down, she’d nod off, leaving them unattended, if they weren’t locked in their rooms. After a short nap, she’d wake with intense cravings & go ballistic, imo.
Of course AJ probably was never potty trained properly because she was busy trying to find a vein orva bag.
It won’t surprise me if his internal organs were severely damaged from his beatings.
Omg, the house......, I have no words. Who lives like that?
SMH. Children in third world countries have a higher standard of living than Andrew had.
Let that sink in.
MOO

So I have read the horrendous account of the events leading up to AJ’s death and the affidavit. Are we to believe that AJ wasnt beaten the night he died? The only thing Sr. said happened that night was the cold shower. Obviously we know he had been beaten plenty before that, but there’s no mention of a beating that night, unless I missed something or misunderstood.

This to me says that AJ died from injuries he had been suffering from for at least a few days, if not longer. Also, IF Sr. is telling the truth when he said he wanted JC to tone down the physical abuse, I think he knew AJ was seriously injured and possibly dying from said previous injuries. It is too convenient that all of a sudden he is against beating him unless he had some reason to think she had gone too far.

MOO, and obviously based only on the assumption that what Sr. told the police is the whole story.

I think the wording of Illinois law on the matter of competency will play a tremendous part in the outcome. Docs and judges have to separate their emotions and outrage from the law. If it does go to a jury, imo she doesn't have a prayer. But it may not get that far. I think she'll be institutionalized either way, however.

If she has any working brain cells, she’ll sign on the dotted line & go quietly to the State hotel for women.

Thanks, bumping Post Number 237 by Trudie with article.

Cook County Circuit Court records show Freund is the attorney representing the real estate trust that owns the Tower Apartments in a premises liability lawsuit filed last year by the estate of 70-year-old Randall Schirmer, a tenant of the Tower Apartments who fell off a ladder to his death while painting a stairwell at the complex on Sept. 4, 2018.

Court records, citing the testimony of a doctor, stated Freund had been diagnosed with opioid and cocaine use disorders and that the drug use was related to his actions, which included a 2014 shoplifting conviction in McHenry County.

The court ordered Freund's law license suspended for two years, but the discipline was suspended after 90 days on the condition that Freund continue with an addiction treatment program, participate in a 12-step program and undergo neuropsychological testing and evaluation.

Last edited:
During his interview with LE, Andrew Sr (Drew) told police that JoAnn had self-diagnosed AJ’s defiant behavior as Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD).
AJ was locked in his room for 5 hours, after being asked to wash the dishes and not stacking the dishes properly.

Also, according to Drew, he took AJ to the city with him the previous Saturday but he had AJ enter and exit the office through a separate entrance apart from his father so he wouldn’t be seen by coworkers in the law office. This was the weekend that JoAnn had taken Parker and stayed at the hotel.

See highlighted document below:
It just keeps getting worse,and worse with these two.

Here is info on Drew’s work, it is linked several X.

Crystal Lake man accused of killing son has Riverside ties

Crystal Lake man charged with killing his 5-year-old son and burying him in a shallow grave in Woodstock is an attorney connected to a Riverside property management company.

Andrew T. Freund Sr., 60, and Joann Cunningham, 36, are both charged with five counts of first-degree murder in the death of their son Andrew "A.J." Freund, whose body was recovered April 24 in a shallow grave in a remote area of Woodstock, according to Crystal Lake police.

Freund reported his son missing on April 18.

In the days after A.J. Freund was reported missing, disturbing details emerged about his father and Cunningham.

A day before police discovered A.J.'s body, the Chicago Tribune reported that the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services had been in contact with the family since the boy was born, with opiates in his system, in 2013. The Tribune also obtained five years' worth of local police reports, describing deplorable living conditions and signs of drug use at the family's Crystal Lake residence.

Although he lives in Crystal Lake, Andrew Freund Sr. is an attorney whose professional address is listed at 24 East Ave. in Riverside, a storefront in the Tower Apartments owned by a real estate trust.

The Illinois Attorney Registration and Discipline Commission's website connects that address with a company called Contractors Inc., whose president is Donna DiBrito, according to the Illinois Secretary of State.

DiBrito is associated with other corporations using various addresses at the Tower Apartments, including Property Rental Inc. DiBrito is listed as that corporation's president as well, and its address is listed as 24 East Ave. by the Illinois Secretary of State.

DiBrito declined to comment when contacted by the Landmark on April 25.

Cook County Circuit Court records show Freund is the attorney representing the real estate trust that owns the Tower Apartments in a premises liability lawsuit filed last year by the estate of 70-year-old Randall Schirmer, a tenant of the Tower Apartments who fell off a ladder to his death while painting a stairwell at the complex on Sept. 4, 2018.

Or neurological, brain damage from the abuse. I doubt he was only bashed in the head on one or two occasions.
MOO

Right. I’m not an attorney, but it seems like if AF was aware of the brain damage that ultimately killed AJ and he didn’t get him medical treatment, it increases his culpability for the murder, even IF he didn’t cause the physical damage.

JMO

I read the latest this morning and the whole accident thing does not surprise me. I had a suspicion this was going to be a contributing factor.

As a child, I had a problem with wetting the bed (up until I was almost 12). I hated it, my mom took me to many dr's, did the whole wake up in the middle of the night thing and then would get upset with me when I wet the bed. (she just got upset, did not strike me). Even though there was no physical in my situation, the stress of having her upset with me all the time about it made things difficult. I did not want to wet the bed as no kid would. When my daughter started wetting the bed around 3 I promised myself and her that I would not be upset about it ever. It's a small part of life that some kids go through and we'll get through it, without being angry about it. It wore on my husband as it lasted about 7 years but I reminded him every time that she could not help it and to be angry about a situation that someone cannot help is insane.

Seems we see too many situations where parents are set off about a wetting accident. I wish more parents would take the time to sit and think about it and know their kids are not "too lazy to get up" or any other nonsense reason. NO ONE wants to wet the bed but it's a part of life.

This case has made me so sick and I'm not typically like this but I feel IMO--Some cases call for Eye for an Eye justice. This case is one of those cases to me.

Anger over 5-year-old AJ's death fuels interest in foster parenting
5-1-19

The tragic story of Andrew "AJ" Freund -- the Crystal Lake 5-year-old who authorities say was abused and killed by his parents -- is inspiring more people to look into becoming foster parents to children from troubled homes, child welfare advocates say.

"It sparked from a lot of anger and fear. ... People want something to do. People need some way to help," said Emily Kunash, president of Moms of McHenry County,whose roughly 300 members have been seeking avenues to help in the wake of AJ's death.

The group now is focused on forging relationships with local nonprofit organizations that serve foster children.

Hundreds of people are registered for two informational sessions on adoption and foster care Saturday in Libertyville and Tuesday in Woodstock.

"The silver lining is people are stepping up," said Susan McConnell, executive director and founder of Let It Be Us,a Barrington-based group organizing both events. "Our attendance numbers are doubled right now."

The group recruits foster and adoptive parents through fairs mostly in Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties.

AJ's body was found April 24 in a shallow grave near Woodstock seven days after his parents reported him missing. Parents JoAnn Cunningham, 36, and Andrew Freund Sr., 60, face first-degree murder and other charges.

The child died after being hit multiple times on the head, the McHenry County coroner's office reported. His younger brother, age 4, is in state custody.

Details of AJ's challenging life have raised concerns about the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services' handling of his case and shined a light on Illinois' foster care system.

~snip

More at link:

Anger over 5-year-old AJ's death fuels interest in foster parenting

Kudos to the people stepping up, I certainly understand the feeling and the need to do something and/or change something.

Forgive my negativity but JC was apparently approved as a foster parent. Would more foster parents have saved AJ? DCFS right now has control of PF, the very agency that most feel failed AJ.

This is not to take away from the people stepping up, that is great news. I do hope none of them are there from feeling they would never be approved but found JC was approved with all of her history and issues so maybe they could too be approved to be a foster parent and paid too.

I admit, a very negative tone in my post here... I am sure most stepping up are doing it with the best of intentions and would be better parents than AJ had for sure. I truly am sure most stepping up are good people. I just look at the fact I guess that JC was a foster parent...

Some days these cases get to me. Apologies but all stated is truth as we know it...

I don't know what the answer is and I do know in some cases (not this one) there can be abuse of power over parents who are doing their best (not this one) and removal ends up more negative.

Drugs though and continued drug addiction, that is a different scenario. It may be labeled a disease, yet maybe the place to start is with that.
Another thing I’m curious about, back in 2018 when they skipped out on hotel bill. Did they frequently get a hotel for nefarious purposes? We have one locally that is known to be a not so nice place, I think most towns to be the same, having at least one. Jmo. As far as skipping out on tab, I did not know one could pay at checkout, we have always used CC at check in.

My guess is this is a hole in the wall hotel. One can hold a room with a credit card and no payment but generally not otherwise. Either they were familiar with them and trusted them or her or him or they did not put a hold on the card (unlikely).

Years ago, I was with someone who never ever used credit (had no debt either, way to go). We checked into a motel, big group, he had his own room, he had cash, they were not okay with it at the front desk other than just for the room as they could not be guaranteed if room service, the phone, etc. was used that it could be covered. He had to pay like twice or triple as much in cash up front than the rest of us and it was clear they were not used to cash. That has been a long darn time ago too.

On another note, many years ago as well I had been dating someone for a few years. We went to a bigger city. He picked what he felt would be a reasonably priced old motel (in a small town that is often what they are). The clerk asked us if we wanted half an hour or an hour! I held my remarks that came to mind. BF was a cheap arse. In hindsight maybe he knew the place...

We got to the room and no way was I staying there after hearing the remark at the desk and seeing the room, pretty bad and no light to see what I could see enough in the dim light. I am not PICKY whatsoever. I called someone I knew in the city and we stayed there and he lost his payment for the room--oh well I guess that is a lesson for penny pinching in the wrong situation.

My longwinded point is when I read this nonpayment issue, I could not see them not putting a hold on the card for the room price or trusting up front unless they had paid in full every time before and they knew them (but would they call the cops then?) or it is the type of place that gets paid after the person gets paid in the room whether for drugs, prostitution, etc.

Just guessing... Or maybe a big show was put on, my bf is an attorney, or I am an attorney, he will be here shortly, we just forgot our credit card, etc., had a crisis at home, left in a hurry and a young desk clerk or someone who gave the benefit of the doubt until they were stiffed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Before.the.dawn