IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am going out on a limb here....LOL. I apologize for the rant. But, some people do just walk away from their lives and do it successfully...

If we are looking at reasons why familial tension was high and why Dermot may want to disappear, my guess is he was not depressed in a sense of organic or neurological depression. He may have been depressed but, I believe it was reasonable and situational. I have read the articles and believe there is some serious disconnect between the father and who he refers to as “the boy”. Referring to one’s child in this manner says much to me. In many of the articles, there is some serious negativity about this young man, even by his teachers. As we know from Missing White Women Syndrome there was absolutely no reason why, given the socio-economics and status of this family why anyone would mix both praise and criticism unless there was “a character flaw.” The candidness is great 40 years later for our review, but not really appropriate at the time. As Dermot was not doing drugs and was fairly successful in school, he should not really be critiqued like a juvenile delinquent. He was a thoughtful and kind young man. So, why the marginalization?

In February of 1972 the Gay Rights Platform was held in Chicago. Suppose, Dermot, upon seeing the many articles in various newspapers discloses he is gay. Given the times, with “homosexuality” still treated as a mental illness and his families social standing, religion and such, this would not be taken well. He is sent hush, hush to Chicago for the standard treatment of the time, “Conversion Therapy.” During treatment, rather then it being “therapeutic” he is able to identify with others in the gay community and he forms connections with new people. It was not until 1973 and by a very small voting margin, “Homosexuality” was changed from a “mental illness” by American Psychiatry Society to a “disorder”. We now know far more about the LGBT communities and psychology and how unacceptable the treatments and incarcerations were at this time. So, Dermot discloses his sexuality, everyone knows because part of the treatment at the time was to closely monitor people for “recidivism and deviant behaviors”. His teachers know that is why they throw a negative into their statements about him. This is surprising if people actually thought he was dead, because unless someone is a truly awful person (or gay in the 1970’s), we all speak of the deceased as if angelic.

So, Dermot decides to leave. If he is gay it would really give insight into how disenchanted he is with the world around him. He may have said more to the family, but, no one was listening. There is no evidence of him planning his suicide and usually people do not disclose anything if they really, really intend to end their life. He did not give away possessions nor did he completely bomb out of school or show the common signs he may be suicidal. He mentioned he was taking off to start a new life. And leaving the old life on January 30th 1972 to start a new life in 1973 would be pretty significant for a teenager. There are copious amounts of academic research out there about LGBT teens and young adults fleeing the Midwestern states during this time due to the isolation, tensions and inequality. If we research we may find some underground gay communities in the areas Kevin Kelly was searching for his son.

And, no one wants to talk about it this openly. Yes, suicide is touchy, but this is taboo. And, as we know Dermot was a kind, thoughtful individual (effeminacy?) he stages and accident to free his family from any stigma associated with him. In one of the articles the mother, I believe, eludes to the fact they do not care what type of lifestyle he is leading, they just want to know he is ok. I think this statement says more then we think. Hippies are a very broad term and most of the members of the Beat Nick Culture were openly gay. This may have been the literature he was reading and found some validation in. What I found very interesting was that he was only gone 1 hour and 45 minutes and the police were called. Perhaps the dad knew he was leaving? The sudden concern with well known struggles does not add up...

If he killed himself with a .22, which is an iffy way to attempt suicide, there would have been some evidence of blood, etc. If he was hypothermic, I don't think he could have coordinated enough to do so or had the mental capacity to do it.There is low probability he could have jumped in the water and managed to shoot himself successfully while in it. The gun found was not positively identified as his. If the scope was missing, and we are going with the hypothermia theory, I do not think he would have the fine motor skills needed to remove it. The scope was gone; it was not broken off, etc. If he chose to drown himself, he would not remove his boots and coat as most people would prefer the weight to expedite the process. I grew up in snow country and I do find hypothermia as cause of death a little odd. He was not gone very long. If he accidently was partially submerged in a creek while walking, perhaps he could have gotten to the later stages of hypothermia quickly. But, given the temperature, he could not have removed his boots due to frozen laces and fingers. In fresh water, most bodies eventually float. Even if he was pushed into the silt by a barge, wouldn’t the methane build up would cause him to rise if he was not anchored by anything but mud especially in the spring?

Maybe it was staged as an accident to save face for his family? I think Dermot could have walked backwards in his tracks or jumped from boulder to boulder. Or was picked up by someone in a boat as there were many powerful and wealthy underground gays in Chicago at the time. It just does not add up. The article also states they utilized motorcycles in the search. That would imply there were not blankets of snow everywhere. Snow has very unique and readable qualities and is a very useful tool in reconstructing scenes. They also used students to search as well. If conditions were that horrible for those acclimatized to the area, would you risk the lives of other students?

I guess, what I was thinking is the father seems like a very practical type of person. If his colleagues in law enforcement presented hard evidence of Dermot drowning or killing himself, I do not think he would have continued the search out of mere hope to the extent he did. And given his disconnect from Dermot or "the boy" I don't think he would have not accepted a death. It would be interesting to know what types of cases the father worked on. Are trial lawyers elected? Word of mouth? I think maybe the sightings were accurate. I don’t know if Dermot is still alive though.

I also think it is really important to try to connect with the missing and UID's on their levels, because often kids and people leave home and unknowingly enter into similar patterns and dynamics with other people. And this can make them very easy targets. :( Plus, I enjoy the intellectual stimulation and hearing your ideas as well! :smile:

I am going out on a limb here....LOL. I apologize for the rant. But, some people do just walk away from their lives and do it successfully...

If we are looking at reasons why familial tension was high and why Dermot may want to disappear, my guess is he was not depressed in a sense of organic or neurological depression. He may have been depressed but, I believe it was reasonable and situational. I have read the articles and believe there is some serious disconnect between the father and who he refers to as “the boy”. Referring to one’s child in this manner says much to me. In many of the articles, there is some serious negativity about this young man, even by his teachers. As we know from Missing White Women Syndrome there was absolutely no reason why, given the socio-economics and status of this family why anyone would mix both praise and criticism unless there was “a character flaw.” The candidness is great 40 years later for our review, but not really appropriate at the time. As Dermot was not doing drugs and was fairly successful in school, he should not really be critiqued like a juvenile delinquent. He was a thoughtful and kind young man. So, why the marginalization?

In February of 1972 the Gay Rights Platform was held in Chicago. Suppose, Dermot, upon seeing the many articles in various newspapers discloses he is gay. Given the times, with “homosexuality” still treated as a mental illness and his families social standing, religion and such, this would not be taken well. He is sent hush, hush to Chicago for the standard treatment of the time, “Conversion Therapy.” During treatment, rather then it being “therapeutic” he is able to identify with others in the gay community and he forms connections with new people. It was not until 1973 and by a very small voting margin, “Homosexuality” was changed from a “mental illness” by American Psychiatry Society to a “disorder”. We now know far more about the LGBT communities and psychology and how unacceptable the treatments and incarcerations were at this time. So, Dermot discloses his sexuality, everyone knows because part of the treatment at the time was to closely monitor people for “recidivism and deviant behaviors”. His teachers know that is why they throw a negative into their statements about him. This is surprising if people actually thought he was dead, because unless someone is a truly awful person (or gay in the 1970’s), we all speak of the deceased as if angelic.

So, Dermot decides to leave. If he is gay it would really give insight into how disenchanted he is with the world around him. He may have said more to the family, but, no one was listening. There is no evidence of him planning his suicide and usually people do not disclose anything if they really, really intend to end their life. He did not give away possessions nor did he completely bomb out of school or show the common signs he may be suicidal. He mentioned he was taking off to start a new life. And leaving the old life on January 30th 1972 to start a new life in 1973 would be pretty significant for a teenager. There are copious amounts of academic research out there about LGBT teens and young adults fleeing the Midwestern states during this time due to the isolation, tensions and inequality. If we research we may find some underground gay communities in the areas Kevin Kelly was searching for his son.

And, no one wants to talk about it this openly. Yes, suicide is touchy, but this is taboo. And, as we know Dermot was a kind, thoughtful individual (effeminacy?) he stages and accident to free his family from any stigma associated with him. In one of the articles the mother, I believe, eludes to the fact they do not care what type of lifestyle he is leading, they just want to know he is ok. I think this statement says more then we think. Hippies are a very broad term and most of the members of the Beat Nick Culture were openly gay. This may have been the literature he was reading and found some validation in. What I found very interesting was that he was only gone 1 hour and 45 minutes and the police were called. Perhaps the dad knew he was leaving? The sudden concern with well known struggles does not add up...

If he killed himself with a .22, which is an iffy way to attempt suicide, there would have been some evidence of blood, etc. If he was hypothermic, I don't think he could have coordinated enough to do so or had the mental capacity to do it.There is low probability he could have jumped in the water and managed to shoot himself successfully while in it. The gun found was not positively identified as his. If the scope was missing, and we are going with the hypothermia theory, I do not think he would have the fine motor skills needed to remove it. The scope was gone; it was not broken off, etc. If he chose to drown himself, he would not remove his boots and coat as most people would prefer the weight to expedite the process. I grew up in snow country and I do find hypothermia as cause of death a little odd. He was not gone very long. If he accidently was partially submerged in a creek while walking, perhaps he could have gotten to the later stages of hypothermia quickly. But, given the temperature, he could not have removed his boots due to frozen laces and fingers. In fresh water, most bodies eventually float. Even if he was pushed into the silt by a barge, wouldn’t the methane build up would cause him to rise if he was not anchored by anything but mud especially in the spring?

Maybe it was staged as an accident to save face for his family? I think Dermot could have walked backwards in his tracks or jumped from boulder to boulder. Or was picked up by someone in a boat as there were many powerful and wealthy underground gays in Chicago at the time. It just does not add up. The article also states they utilized motorcycles in the search. That would imply there were not blankets of snow everywhere. Snow has very unique and readable qualities and is a very useful tool in reconstructing scenes. They also used students to search as well. If conditions were that horrible for those acclimatized to the area, would you risk the lives of other students?

I guess, what I was thinking is the father seems like a very practical type of person. If his colleagues in law enforcement presented hard evidence of Dermot drowning or killing himself, I do not think he would have continued the search out of mere hope to the extent he did. And given his disconnect from Dermot or "the boy" I don't think he would have not accepted a death. It would be interesting to know what types of cases the father worked on. Are trial lawyers elected? Word of mouth? I think maybe the sightings were accurate. I don’t know if Dermot is still alive though.

I also think it is really important to try to connect with the missing and UID's on their levels, because often kids and people leave home and unknowingly enter into similar patterns and dynamics with other people. And this can make them very easy targets. :( Plus, I enjoy the intellectual stimulation and hearing your ideas as well! :smile:

This is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! I have never thought of this scenario before, but WOW! given what we know, it makes a lot of sense! This almost puts another whole new perspective on this case that I am sure many never thought of! Thank you for this!

Satch

Thanks for the compliment! I was worried about “getting too far out there.” LOL… Or upsetting people. I have noticed some family members follow these forums and I would never want to upset anyone.

When I look at many of the cases from 1960s-1980s of the young UIDs a few things occurred to me. This is more general or broad, not specifically related to Dermot’s case. My thoughts about Dermot’s case are above. We all know how society during the time valued boys and girls differently (and still does). So when we look at children or young adults I see two different standards. During the 60s, 70s and 80s a male child held a certain value. Parents were far more lenient with boys when it came to sex, violence, drugs, etc. They were more apt to help and try to maintain (as bad as that sounds) the blood-line or family name. There are a few reasons why a family would cut off or “disown” a male child and never look for him. Sexual preference is one of those things. We have all heard the saying,”you ain’t my son”. Well, that is a stereotype, but it does have a real origin and basis rooted in our society. When looking at the younger male young UIDs it is not a stretch to assume some were shamed or forced to leave at times due to their preferences. Many families did not have the financial resources to fund “therapy” and the boys ended up on the streets. Often, if they did get “help”, they boys either killed themselves right after therapy or ran away. Most ran away. Imagine being confused about your orientation during a time where is was considered crazy or deviant and having everyone in your life remind you how horrible you are? It’s not like they could hop online and check out a support group or read about normal LGBT issues. Sadly, many that ran away met their ends due to the rampant homophobia and hate crimes during the times. When looking at some of the UIDs with research, we may be able to target areas of the country where they could have come from (due to local beliefs on LGBT at the time) if they were transient and died violently. Of course not all fit this theory, but, some like Dermot may because of some of the things I pointed out…It took the family a couple of years to realize that perhaps his lifestyle was something they could accept. Most parents and teachers would beg and plead and praise the child regardless of what the child has done or what they are doing from the very beginning…unless there is stigma, shame, etc. With Dermot, I think they knew he was alive…from what I read. I don’t know if he is still alive though.

Anyway, there is a whole different set of scenarios with girls and society. But, that is for another forum. The UID girls are what brought me to WS. But, Dermot's case, with the bizarre communication patterns and vaguely ambiguous interviews cloaking known information begged me to respond...LOL.

:twocents:

Thanks for the compliment! I was worried about “getting too far out there.” LOL… Or upsetting people. I have noticed some family members follow these forums and I would never want to upset anyone.

When I look at many of the cases from 1960s-1980s of the young UIDs a few things occurred to me. This is more general or broad, not specifically related to Dermot’s case. My thoughts about Dermot’s case are above. We all know how society during the time valued boys and girls differently (and still does). So when we look at children or young adults I see two different standards. During the 60s, 70s and 80s a male child held a certain value. Parents were far more lenient with boys when it came to sex, violence, drugs, etc. They were more apt to help and try to maintain (as bad as that sounds) the blood-line or family name. There are a few reasons why a family would cut off or “disown” a male child and never look for him. Sexual preference is one of those things. We have all heard the saying,”you ain’t my son”. Well, that is a stereotype, but it does have a real origin and basis rooted in our society. When looking at the younger male young UIDs it is not a stretch to assume some were shamed or forced to leave at times due to their preferences. Many families did not have the financial resources to fund “therapy” and the boys ended up on the streets. Often, if they did get “help”, they boys either killed themselves right after therapy or ran away. Most ran away. Imagine being confused about your orientation during a time where is was considered crazy or deviant and having everyone in your life remind you how horrible you are? It’s not like they could hop online and check out a support group or read about normal LGBT issues. Sadly, many that ran away met their ends due to the rampant homophobia and hate crimes during the times. When looking at some of the UIDs with research, we may be able to target areas of the country where they could have come from (due to local beliefs on LGBT at the time) if they were transient and died violently. Of course not all fit this theory, but, some like Dermot may because of some of the things I pointed out…It took the family a couple of years to realize that perhaps his lifestyle was something they could accept. Most parents and teachers would beg and plead and praise the child regardless of what the child has done or what they are doing from the very beginning…unless there is stigma, shame, etc. With Dermot, I think they knew he was alive…from what I read. I don’t know if he is still alive though.

Anyway, there is a whole different set of scenarios with girls and society. But, that is for another forum. The UID girls are what brought me to WS. But, Dermot's case, with the bizarre communication patterns and vaguely ambiguous interviews cloaking known information begged me to respond...LOL.

:twocents:

Great points Lucy!

And of course law enforcement and the media at the time are not going to discuss Dermot possibly leaving the family behind if he was gay. Too much of a taboo topic back than. They are going to go with what the circumstantial evidence was at that time. A case of hypothermia, suicide, or drowning.

In fact, I read that there were some elements of Dermot's case that could not be discussed for family reasons. Before reading your posts, I'll bet that many thought about the possibility of suicide as the sensitive topic. But now it could have been the taboo topic at the time of homosexuality. The patterns of school, family, high expectations, religious values did perhaps go strongly against Dermot's care-free, liberal, philosophical "hippie" style. Very possible that Dermot's therapy was not for "treatment" in the psychological sense, but for treatment in the "conformist" sense. This could have drawn Dermot and his parents further and further apart, especially the relationship between the father and "the boy." It's very possible that with the families' high social and economic status, that at least at the time, Dermot disappeared, they are not going to say things to put themselves in a negative light.

However, the family could say things to put Dermot in a negative light if he was a non-conformer, and went against many of their social, cultural, religious, and economic beliefs. Dermot may have felt in his mind, heart, and soul, that he had no choice, BUT to leave.

Lucy, do you now put the possibility of Dermot staging his disappearance at 50% or more?

Satch

Satch, you were far more succinct in articulating what I was trying to say! I wouldn’t know where to rate the percentage of Dermot running away. I just think there is a large possibility given what I interpreted from the articles I read.

But, as I posted before, he sure looked like Dean Corll’s UID except the height (that is a disqualifier). But, scenario wise, it is feasible. When I think about it, let’s say Dermot hits the road. And most young hitchhikers will go were the ride goes just for the experience. He would definitely be seeking validation and may mention to new peers, Henley and Brooks, about his orientation as he is desperately trying to find himself and fit in somewhere in the world. If it was mentioned to Dermot that they (the two young men who found victims for Corll) know a “really cool guy” who is older, has a house, is “gay friendly” and parties, Dermot would be an easy target. He would be seeking a sense of belonging and acceptance and may become a victim. Or he could confide in the wrong person, trucker or someone and end up a hate crime victim. I don’t think he lived a long time after leaving, like 20-30 years. I don’t think certain kids, while they may be intellectual, were street smart and he may have been ill equipped to survive. The reality of the road is not so idyllic and may make them desperate and ignore red flags. Even if he is not that UID, I think it is a good idea to look at other UIDS…

Satch, you were far more succinct in articulating what I was trying to say! I wouldn’t know where to rate the percentage of Dermot running away. I just think there is a large possibility given what I interpreted from the articles I read.

But, as I posted before, he sure looked like Dean Corll’s UID except the height (that is a disqualifier). But, scenario wise, it is feasible. When I think about it, let’s say Dermot hits the road. And most young hitchhikers will go were the ride goes just for the experience. He would definitely be seeking validation and may mention to new peers, Henley and Brooks, about his orientation as he is desperately trying to find himself and fit in somewhere in the world. If it was mentioned to Dermot that they (the two young men who found victims for Corll) know a “really cool guy” who is older, has a house, is “gay friendly” and parties, Dermot would be an easy target. He would be seeking a sense of belonging and acceptance and may become a victim. Or he could confide in the wrong person, trucker or someone and end up a hate crime victim. I don’t think he lived a long time after leaving, like 20-30 years. I don’t think certain kids, while they may be intellectual, were street smart and he may have been ill equipped to survive. The reality of the road is not so idyllic and may make them desperate and ignore red flags. Even if he is not that UID, I think it is a good idea to look at other UIDS…

What about Dermot's bare feet in the snow? That's something that I still cant figure out if someone picked him up. If he got picked up, I could see dumping the coat and the boots, and the rifle. (i.e make it look like an accident to remove family association) He could have made prints in the snow either way. Why not just hop a vessel wearing shoes and socks? How does him being barefoot help his plan? Now this assumes, no drowning, no hypothermia, and no suicide. That he outsmarted everyone and staged this thing.

What a turnaround in the discussion of events! I can't wait to read what others think about your theory! I am still stunned at how this COULD fit together. Not saying we know for sure. However, the questions for contemplation I'll bet were thought of by almost nobody else!

Satch

He could have made prints in the snow either way.

I would think by leaving shoes behind it creates the speculation that he accidently fell in the water or that he could not survive due to the cold. He was smart. Plus, a common means of tracking people at the time was by shoe prints. Not DNA, etc. Get rid of the shoes. From what I read, if they could use motorcycles to search, then the area had a mixture or dirt, snow drifts, etc. If he really wanted to "vanish" wouldn't he find an area where he left no trace at all? There were foot prints on snow leading to the river (were they ever measured for foot size?). Also, if we could see the pictures of the prints we can easily find out many things about how the imprints were made..i.e. walking, running, staggering. We used to walk backwards in snow to make people think we were headed the other way and it works. Kids are very imaginative. Gait patterns are easy to figure out in snow if you look.

Also, Depending on when they were made, time of day, sun level and the weather, what appears to show prints terminating into the river could in reality be misleading. Snow and ice, especially on rivers where it is not frozen solid are in a constant state of flux. I have watched ice and snow covered rivers go from safe crossings for some to a flowing river in moments due to weight of crossers, or ice blocks, etc. It would be interesting to look at actual pictures of the area where the items were found, how they were left, etc. If someone took really good pictures you can actually tell if the point on the ice where the foot prints terminate into the river has been like that or if the ice/snow recently fractured resulting in the illusion of steps going directly into the river. Snow and ice are very telling, but also misleading. I am curious to see what other people think, too.

I guess this seems pretty out there. LOL. It just seems that not a single person interviewed about his disappearance thought about him being dead, nor did they speak of him highly as if dead. Usually there is at least one person who would think he is dead. Except us…LOL.

Great idea's and discussions everyone. On the staging his disappearance and being picked up by a commercial vessel thoughts..... If DK's hospitalization was more along the lines of non conformist, it's possible he met other patients with the same mind set near the same age. It would be interesting to know if he maintained contact with any after being discharged and who they were.

IIRC his disappearance was 3-4 months after his hospitalization, which I recall being mentioned as only earlier in the school year. I guessed that to be Sept/Oct but it could have been any time before the Christmas holiday break.

I found a guy in facebook with the same name that lives in Australia that to me looks like the age progression picture. I don't know if I am allowed to post the link here. Don't know his age and it probably isnt Dermot but it might be worth a look.

Hi SoBeCzar and welcome to WS! :welcome:

I saw your post last night and wanted to reply but was running on exhaustion. What we do here to maintain the privacy of people like you mentioned is to share that off list.

Technically we can't say "check your pm's" because that is considered baiting and a tos violation. You can send it to me via pm and I will take a look. Usually we would say anyone wanting the info please pm (so we are still sharing with whoever requests it), but since you might not have enough posts yet for full PM priviledges once I receive it, members can pm me if they wish to take a look.

hth

I have the FB information SoBeCzar mentioned above. If anyone is interested in the info, please pm me. I'm happy to share it with whomever wishes to sleuth it. This way we can maintain this persons privacy and stay within tos.

This person SoBeCzar found on FB is not in the US. There is another WS're I am friends with who is in that country. I am going to ask this person to see if they can find any additional info as the FB is fairly private. If not, I will send a FB message with the info regarding Dermot's case and inquire. Usually when I do that, if I include the link to the WS thread and a link to the MP's Charley Project page - to show we are legit - they are very kind at replying.

Will keep everyone posted.

What do we know about the part of the river where his tracks ended? If a barge was traveling through there, how far would he have to swim to meet it? Was there a dock near the tracks? In January, I doubt that there was a lot of river traffic. Parts of the river would have been frozen and it would be very difficult for most vessels to travel.

I wonder if there is a way to get a record of ship traffic for that river on that day? Does anyone have any connections with the Army Corps of Engineers? I think that is the agency that is in charge of most of the locks on the rivers. I'm assuming there are locks nearby, so records would indicate who went through.

What do we know about the part of the river where his tracks ended? If a barge was traveling through there, how far would he have to swim to meet it? Was there a dock near the tracks? In January, I doubt that there was a lot of river traffic. Parts of the river would have been frozen and it would be very difficult for most vessels to travel.

I wonder if there is a way to get a record of ship traffic for that river on that day? Does anyone have any connections with the Army Corps of Engineers? I think that is the agency that is in charge of most of the locks on the rivers. I'm assuming there are locks nearby, so records would indicate who went through.

Yes! Thanks for posting this!

We should find out the records for the day Dermot left January 30, 1972 AND January 31, 1972, because the evidence on the river was found the next day, so if Dermot did not die by suicide, drowning, or hypothermia, we could get records of the vessel ports for those days and see what went through.

By the time that barge went through, probably early February, Dermot, whatever he did, or wherever he was, the circumstances had already happened. Were their footprints on the other side of the river that matched Dermot's bare feet in the snow? If so, we could infer that he got across the river, either by swimming or by vessel.

In hindsight, what poster Lucy said in her previous posts, Dermot may not have even had to reveal he was gay in order to leave home. (Although I totally agree her assessment is a very strong possibility! He could have just been "fed up." and compelled to leave. I think that the time Dermot spent, presumably in a hospital or recovery clinic in the fall of 1971 could be evidence, very powerful evidence that supports Lucy's theory.

Satch

I have tried to read all the thread but may have missed something..... but I have wondered whether he is a match to a UID who committed suicide but younger than the estimated age but he left a detailed suicide note quoting popular sociologists of the times... but I cant find that particular UID thread to check whether the timespan is way off or not. Does any one know what year the UID committed suicide?

I have tried to read all the thread but may have missed something..... but I have wondered whether he is a match to a UID who committed suicide but younger than the estimated age but he left a detailed suicide note quoting popular sociologists of the times... but I cant find that particular UID thread to check whether the timespan is way off or not. Does any one know what year the UID committed suicide?

This case, maybe?
LA LA - Belle Chasse - White Male, 16-17, Feb 1975 - hanging using bedsheet - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Does anyone know where a copy of the suicide note is? It would be helpful to see it complete...Thanks!

I can't find anything on the case referenced above....

Does anyone know where a copy of the suicide note is? It would be helpful to see it complete...Thanks!

I can't find anything on the case referenced above....

I remember that UID case. I don't think it is Dermot, but the similarity that stuck me was the quality of the writing was far above this person's birth years. And I thought that this would be the type of writing and style of writing that Dermot could use in journals, or if he took any creative writing classes in school. Or if he wrote stuff on his own.

Note however that back in the 70's, many youth were more articulate verbally and in their writings than they are today.

I wanted to expand and ask about what Lucy raised some posts back assuming that Dermot was gay, others found out, and his parents insisted that he go for Conversion Therapy. Is anyone familiar with Conversion Therapy methods in the 70's? What kinds of things generally were discussed between patients and therapists during this time? Anyone want to speculate at what specific issues Dermot and his family may have talked about during those sessions in the fall of 1971?

Did most therapists take the attitude back than of supporting the parents where conversion therapy was used by parents back than as a form of "straighten up and fly right?" I wonder if Dermot felt he was being "punished" if he indeed had psychological "treatment? " Especially if it was treatment for non-conformity?

If Dermot planned to run away sometime before he disappeared, I wonder if he confided in this to anyone at the facility where he was being treated? Flash forward today, and there's no way that they would put any troubled person in a three-week in-patient environment. They would put Dermot on some Prozac or something and send him home, likely the same day he and his parents got to the clinic. I think if Dermot is alive today, he would appreciate the support networks that are available for troubled people, and could relate so well to helping people coming from broken homes and hurting families! Not only Dermot being the compassionate great listener, but an inspirational person for those in need. For me, these are the strongest motivators that bring me back to this case, through courage and determination in finding out what happened to him.

What would need to happen to find out through hospital records what went on during the time of Dermot's treatment? Could LE get access to these records, if they were to assist in searching for Dermot? Or would Code of Ethics Patient-Therapist Confidentiality Rules apply here, where such information would remain sealed, where only a judge through tons of paperwork and need to obtain the evidence could allow Dermot's medical records to be opened?

If WS could find out specifically what Dermot's diagnosed condition and treatment plan was, during his hospitalization and/or clinic stay, and any people with whom he confided. it could give us a very strong road map leading up to his moods and events of January 30, 1972, and whereabouts after that time.

Satch

Thanks for the links! Still have to check out the CNN one, but this is devastating. If those types of things happened to Dermot if he indeed admitted being gay and his parents made him go for that type of "treatment?" I would be mad at the parents! This poor kid given shock treatments? This just gives a whole new dimension of anger and sadness if its true.

If Dermot had conforming therapy some might say, "Well the parents were simply trying a controversial method at that time." Perhaps people might think "Bad treatment, but not bad parents." I still think it is thoughtless and cruel and if those types of things REALLY happened to Dermot, and there was abuse and tension in the home, think about this. Where can he go? What can he do? He can't talk about this at home, without potential for a screaming match, and I think more likely than not, there were. He can't talk about it at school, because the values at the school were very conservative morals and ethics. Dermot needed a place to turn.

This reminds me from a scene in the movie, Ordinary People. If you have never seen it, SEE IT! I don't want to give too much away, but the troubled teen in the movie is home from three months in a hospital following a suicide attempt, and he makes a very kind girl from the hospital who on the surface seems very happy. She says "She doesn't miss the hospital, because tells him that "The only one who can help me is myself." She says her father told her that.

But the troubled boy says, "I miss it sometimes, the hospital. Because that's where we had the laughs and NOBODY HID ANYTHING THERE." And as I am remember this movie, I am thinking of Dermot possibly hospitalized for 'Conformity" and for perhaps the first time in his LIFE. He sees people who have the same kinds of problems, and he likely hated the conforming treatment just as much as they did. Dermot could have bonded with others who may have shared many of his ideals, If what they experienced was like those links above, who could blame them for their hatred against the parents, sending them for shock treatments? I could see Dermot reading more and more about the gay community and the hippie culture. Perhaps other people looked up to Dermot at the hospital as a nurturing, inspirational leader. There was an old post at WS that was from someone who claimed that Dermot was her mother's younger brother. The Mother's side of the family's consensus was that Dermot had ran away to join the hippie movement. She said he had friends who did the same thing.

If Dermot somehow had so much family pain, home pain, emotional pain, maybe he was even physically abused. The post from the person who claimed Dermot was her Mother's younger brother said that the Kelly marriage was "failing and sometimes abusive." Tragically, if Dermot ("the boy") was becoming rebellious against everything his parents stood for, there could have been very deep wounds in this family for years. The father, Kevin, according to the relative on the Mothers' side of the family was going through a job loss. Keven Kelly as a lawyer in an upscale community was already about 60 when Dermot was a teen. Very conservative, older people like that may have a terrible time trying to adjust to a changing culture. Mr. Kelly also said of Dermot that "rebellion was brewing."

If this poor kid survived all these things that happened to him, I think he is a hero and an inspiration to other troubled people to help them with love, empathy, and kindness. I wonder what Dermot would think or say with many of us interested in his case after 40 years! This is a very talented and gifted individual. Wherever he is, DK will always be remembered.

Satch

I just think Dermot was intelligent and had a good chance to make it on his own. He did speak of wanting to get away from the area so it doesn't sound like suicide. Unless foul play or an accident I think he could very well be alive.

I just think Dermot was intelligent and had a good chance to make it on his own. He did speak of wanting to get away from the area so it doesn't sound like suicide. Unless foul play or an accident I think he could very well be alive.

That's one of the things that most agree on. That foul play had nothing to do with his disappearance, and I share that view. Now, whether or not at some later point in his journey he could have met with foul play because of trusting or confiding in the wrong person or group of people, I cannot say.

I am moving further away from the suicide theory as well, based on studying all the new information that we have learned. It's still there, but not quite as strong as before. Would anyone want to put percents up? Here's my breakdown.

On that day January 30, 1972, based on the information known, this is what I think happened to Dermot:

40% Left to start a new life and lived
35% Died from accident. (i.e hypothermia, drowning)
25% Suicide

Is he alive today? Sadly, I would put the odds greater at no than yes. About 60% no and 40% yes. But if he is dead, was his death related to his disappearance at the time and in the close years following? I would say, probably not. Unless he committed suicide, but I only place that at about 25%.

What do you all think?

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeTyler