Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But this before the location of the wallet and lanyard were known, and before the report of a witness seeing near the Lot 14 parking lot (not sure how well-confirmed the witness account is).
^^rsbbm

I'm not understanding the statement about a witness. Is there an MSM link to what a witness observed near the Lot 14 parking lot?? TIA.

I posted that in the statement made by Jelani's mother, she said that the wallet witness said it was Jelani that dropped the wallet.
https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago
She doesn't elaborate, so it's unknown if they described him or saw his picture. If this is true, I think it's very telling that she has not disclosed this before. She disclosed it while describing how she wants to have a face-to-face with witnesses. In my opinion, this is very important because it puts Jelani several blocks east of his car's location and in the area where the police asked residents to check their cameras (Chartres St.) It would be hard to believe then that Jelani didn't walk south from there, to the river, where his ID was found in a ditch.
All of this indicates, to me, that he drove the car there and nothing shows he was driving/walking under duress. I also think that if there was any evidence that the family could use to back their position, they would have announced it. That makes me believe that the car had no evidence of any violence, no evidence of another driver, etc. I believe that the car has a navigation system and if it was operating/not intentionally disabled, we would have heard from the family if something suspicious was found, but the information would not be disclosed if the family didn't like the "appearance" of the information in the system.
I would like to know how much they have fully cooperated with authorities. I have read some things in outside sources which lead me to believe they haven’t been completely forthcoming on Jelani’s life and behavior.

RE: L14, Canal lock #14 information
When Jelani's mom held a balloon release in La Salle, she said it was at the place nearest that they could get to where Jelani's clothes were found. I believe she misunderstood where his clothes were found, she said they were across the river from his body, but across the river is very vague. Since his body was east of the 251 bridge I'm guessing she thought the clothes were east of this bridge, but on the north side. However, when the balloon release was organized, somehow the bridge got changed to the 351 bridge and she led the group to east of that bridge and said it was as close to where his clothes were found that they could get. This was actually on the canal, and on the east side of the lock, really making it unlikely for a place for him to undressed and enter the canal to get to the river. Other than her using the visitor's parking lot for the gathering and going to the wrong bridge, I haven't seen anything that suggests Jelani was at the lock. If you look on a map, you'll see that the 351 bridge does cross the river, but that part of the bridge is a good distance from the canal.

Last edited:
^^rsbbm

I'm not understanding the statement about a witness. Is there an MSM link to what a witness observed near the Lot 14 parking lot?? TIA.

no, there isn't. I apologize for the sloppiness. It was reported that Lock 14 parking lot (sorry, not Lot 14) was Day's last known location, but it wasn't stated how or where they got that info. Balloons released in La Salle for Jelani Day

Jelani Day investigation: Dive team found no evidence, sheriff says

10/13/21

[..]

Illinois State Police, Bloomington Police, Peru Police, the LaSalle County sheriff's and coroner's offices are assisting in the investigation, as is the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit, he said. Anyone with information on Day's death is asked to call 815-433-2161.

Diss and LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch did not respond to The Pantagraph's requests for comment Wednesday. Ploch's office previously told The Pantagraph that toxicology reports were still pending.

State police said Sunday that a DNA test backlog did not delay identification of the student. His mother, Carmen Bolden Day, earlier this week sought to address rumors circulating on social media, saying none of her son's organ's were missing and as far as she was aware "this is not a case of organ harvesting."

[..]

Photos: Remembering Jelani Day
- early childhood friends
- ballon release

upload_2021-11-8_12-48-36.png

upload_2021-11-8_12-44-13.png
upload_2021-11-8_12-43-0.png

Jelani Day investigation: Dive team found no evidence, sheriff says

10/13/21

[..]

Illinois State Police, Bloomington Police, Peru Police, the LaSalle County sheriff's and coroner's offices are assisting in the investigation, as is the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit, he said. Anyone with information on Day's death is asked to call 815-433-2161.

Diss and LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch did not respond to The Pantagraph's requests for comment Wednesday. Ploch's office previously told The Pantagraph that toxicology reports were still pending.

State police said Sunday that a DNA test backlog did not delay identification of the student. His mother, Carmen Bolden Day, earlier this week sought to address rumors circulating on social media, saying none of her son's organ's were missing and as far as she was aware "this is not a case of organ harvesting."

[..]

Photos: Remembering Jelani Day
- early childhood friends
- ballon release

View attachment 320991

View attachment 320990
View attachment 320989

I am very glad that CBD clarified that! I know this must be terribly hard for her.

I am very glad that CBD clarified that! I know this must be terribly hard for her.
Unimaginable. IMO, I think much incorrect information came from the essay journalist and the attorney who no longer represents the family -- including blaming the State Police for the delay in identifying Jelani. As I'd not seen where State Police denied any DNA backlog ever reported in MSM, it's essentially why I posted the linked article.

Rev. Jackson: Jelani Day case “ain’t over” - The Chicago Crusader

Mrs. Day told reporters there were several witnesses who saw her son drop his wallet. “Why would Jelani park his car, walk three miles and end up coming in this direction (the Illinois River)? See-It-For-Yourself because it doesn’t make sense,” she said.

Mrs. Day said several white females decided they were bored and decided to come down to the Illinois River where they found her son’s clothes. “That was a mile away for where the body was found. Why didn’t the police find this? Why would my son come down here and take his clothes off? It doesn’t make sense.” She said the respective police departments did not do their jobs.

Rev. Jackson: Jelani Day case “ain’t over” - The Chicago Crusader

Mrs. Day told reporters there were several witnesses who saw her son drop his wallet. “Why would Jelani park his car, walk three miles and end up coming in this direction (the Illinois River)? See-It-For-Yourself because it doesn’t make sense,” she said.

Mrs. Day said several white females decided they were bored and decided to come down to the Illinois River where they found her son’s clothes. “That was a mile away for where the body was found. Why didn’t the police find this? Why would my son come down here and take his clothes off? It doesn’t make sense.” She said the respective police departments did not do their jobs.
This is one jumbled up article.
JMO

It sure is, but I heard some of those quotes on a video with CBD speaking. Her story changes a lot, which causes conflicting articles.
Is she saying someone killed him then removed some of his clothes and put him in the river?

Peru’s Police Department responds to the Jelani Day march that will take place next week

Oct 22, 2021

PERU – Peru’s Police Chief Robert Pyszka says he looks forward to working with Reverend Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow PUSH Coalition on their peaceful march in Peru next week. The Rev. Jesse Jackson, the famous civil rights activist, will meet with others outside Peru’s police station on Tuesday to call for justice in the ongoing death investigation of 25-year-old Jelani Day. Chief Pyszka says the Peru Police Department and Mayor Kolowski are working with Jackson and his team to help them in any way they can.

The Rainbow PUSH Coalition is helping organize the meeting that will begin in front of the station at noon before moving to the Illinois Valley YMCA, where Day’s vehicle was found abandoned on August 26, the day after she disappeared. Day’s body was found on September 4 near the Illinois River. Day’s mother, Carmen Bolden Day, has previously stated that she believes her son did not get into the river. According to Reverend Jackson, the march is not a march on the city of Peru, but a march in Peru to close the Day family.

[..]

Jelani Day March to continue Tuesday; Reverend Jackson was unable to attend

October 25, 2021

PERU – The Jelani Day March and Demonstration will continue today at noon starting at the Peru Police Station, however a high profile civil rights activist will not be among the attendees. On Monday it was announced that due to a scheduling conflict, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and supporters of his Rainbow PUSH Coalition will not be arriving by bus to the area. Reverend Jackson has claimed that Day’s case resembles other racially motivated killings. The LaSalle County Coroner announced that the preliminary cause of death for the man found in the Illinois River in September was drowning.

Facts matter:

For the "Chicago Crusader" (linked above) to call the Peru Police liars because the day before the march, they shared Rev Jackson's announcement that he had a schedule conflict on Tuesday, should not be tolerated.

As reported above, it was no secret that the Peru Police Chief had been actively coordinating plans for Tuesday's march with Rev Jackson and his group.

While it appears that Rev Jackson was able to resolve his personal schedule conflict and attend the march, that does not excuse their actions to blatantly ignore and publish this false, information, especially when it serves only to mislead and incite. And it needs to stop, now.

MOO

Coroner: Body Found In LaSalle County Is Jelani Day

"Fermon did not discuss evidence in the case, but he confirmed police received a tip that brought them to the Illinois River where his body was found."

Something that doesn't add up for me to support a very well-thought-out, but incognito self-harm act (ditching wallet, removing tags, turning off phone, etc.) is that there was a tip that lead to the location of the body. Someone knew exactly where Jelani's body would be. In this vast expanse of wilderness that he supposedly selected to conceal a suicide, someone pointed LE directly to the body.

IMO, this is not a suicide or accidental drowning. There are too many people in the community that have uncovered evidence for this to have been a suicide, for those same people to not also be saying, "Jelani often talked about harming himself at this location, that's how we knew where to look." At which point, there would be several witnesses attesting to his suicidal thoughts and behavior. But, I don't think that's what's happening here.

I also don't think he'd go to these efforts to conceal a suicide if he causally talked about it with, say, the person who led LE to his body.

Too many holes and too much reaching required for the suicide theory. I'm glad folks are pushing for a homicide investigation. What a shame it would be to close the books and let a murderer get away with killing such an amazing young man.

IMO

Coroner: Body Found In LaSalle County Is Jelani Day

"Fermon did not discuss evidence in the case, but he confirmed police received a tip that brought them to the Illinois River where his body was found."

Something that doesn't add up for me to support a very well-thought-out, but incognito self-harm act (ditching wallet, removing tags, turning off phone, etc.) is that there was a tip that lead to the location of the body. Someone knew exactly where Jelani's body would be. In this vast expanse of wilderness that he supposedly selected to conceal a suicide, someone pointed LE directly to the body.

IMO, this is not a suicide or accidental drowning. There are too many people in the community that have uncovered evidence for this to have been a suicide, for those same people to not also be saying, "Jelani often talked about harming himself at this location, that's how we knew where to look." At which point, there would be several witnesses attesting to his suicidal thoughts and behavior. But, I don't think that's what's happening here.

I also don't think he'd go to these efforts to conceal a suicide if he causally talked about it with, say, the person who led LE to his body.

Too many holes and too much reaching required for the suicide theory. I'm glad folks are pushing for a homicide investigation. What a shame it would be to close the books and let a murderer get away with killing such an amazing young man.

IMO
I believe the "tip" was somebody that saw what looked like a body in the river and contacted authorities. Given the way individuals and/or potential witnesses have been treated in this investigation, including having to retain lawyers at their own expense, I applaud investigators for protecting their identity and citing the call as a tip. MOO

I believe the "tip" was somebody that saw what looked like a body in the river and contacted authorities. Given the way individuals and/or potential witnesses have been treated in this investigation, including having to retain lawyers at their own expense, I applaud investigators for protecting their identity and citing the call as a tip. MOO

Do you have a source explaining that the tipster saw what looked like a body floating in water? I haven't been able to find anything.

Do you have a source explaining that the tipster saw what looked like a body floating in water? I haven't been able to find anything.
To be clear, it's my opinion the police cited the call as a tip or the call may have been made to the tip line. This is an ongoing investigation -- authorities have released no additional information about the source of the tip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back