IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think carrying on with her husband legacy would be a comfort to her and give her something to focus on.

She has four sons that are devastated. I imagine they need her more than the Explorers do right now. And she has plenty to focus on with them, imo.

Something to keep in mind when talking about reasons someone may become suicidal is that people who take their lives often do so not because of some major catastrophic or humiliating event- rather it's because they are already in a state of mind where they are catastrophizing the challenges and upsets in their daily lives. Things that most of us wouldn't consider killing ourselves over, sometimes the smallest things in the grand scheme of life, feel completely overwhelming, humiliating, heartbreaking, etc. to someone in this state of mind.

Many of us have lived through a suicide of someone we knew. The reasons why people take their own lives is varied, wide, and often unpredictable. Hell, every year one or more students at the universities around me take their own lives, usually because they are struggling with school and not meeting the academic expectations they've placed on themselves. Sounds crazy, right?

Also- In the event someone is clinically depressed, they aren't just in a transitory state of sadness or depression based on some large life stressor like the death of a loved one or a job loss. It's more of a drip drip drip. If LT was clinically depressed (and I am not saying he was) it wouldn't have been unusual for him to have hidden it well. Lots of people do. Just ask anyone who's lost someone close to themselves to suicide and blames themselves for not seeing the signs.

Okay. A man took his life (possibly) and blamed it on 3 individuals who he had seen prior to the suicide (possibly).

The 3 were cleared. Which means something isn't right. But let's not act like the Explorers are really apart of this. Jmo.

I'm sure they were saddened by his death and the mayor simply wanted to show them that joe loved them by feeling sad about a future departure. Now maybe joe was saddened; But I seriously doubt it was that serious of saddened as the mayor or whoever made it seem like that to the Explorers. Jmo

How do you know they were PD lock changes?
I would think PD lock changes would be part of PD budget and not n town budget.
This would be the community center lock change perhaps. Where the Explorers met?

Your quote above is from Walkers post of the financials. I was under the impression that this was FLPD financial and not the village. Note the amounts for vests.

On a different note what did he find while being a part of the internal investigation, that would warrant his demise.

The Fox Lake Explorer Post 300 looked less like they were being trained to help old ladies cross the street and other domestic type police duties and more like they were being trained to wage war in the deserts of the Middle East, IMO. Or, maybe the deserts of America.

One of the main things that LE has to deal with is getting the cream of the crop applicants these days. So this type of program would try and make a cop's job seem exciting. Even though he would be doing lots of boring things every day, and very few Desert Storm type activities.

However, when serving arrest warrants these days, they do often use SWAT, because of the proliferation of automatic weapons in the hands of criminals.

And the suggestion of suicide on pretty much the second day here is OK?

I don't know who said Gliniewicz was removed from his Explorer Post position, BUT, he would be 'removed' or no longer eligible to hold the position if or when he retired from the Fox Lake Police Department.

That's a fairly simple concept. The Post was sponsored by the Fox Lake Police Department. If for insurance reasons only, it is probably not a good idea to allow the Post to be run by a volunteer who is not associated with the department.

With the death of the Post leader (of 30 years) now seems like the perfect time to re-assess the mission and future direction of the group. I don't necessarily get the impression anything nefarious was going on.

You might be right. But it would have had to be something major to make him leave his 4 sons in such a devastating fashion.

rsbm

None of us here knows him at all, and many seem to be basing their opinions on the (always positive, by their nature) eulogies. There may have been something he perceived as major. He may have thought his own needs/wishes trumped those of anyone else, including his family -- that is pretty much a precondition of suicide, after all.

The Fox Lake Explorer Post 300 looked less like they were being trained to help old ladies cross the street and other domestic type police duties and more like they were being trained to wage war in the deserts of the Middle East, IMO. Or, maybe the deserts of America.

Interesting, I had the same impression.

No, not necessarily. There is a lot of red tape. They are doing it step by step. Taking investors, going over the books. Looking at the need and the success or failure rate.

Did it help the kids? Did it create any future employees?

Exactly!

I think some of the writing was on the wall for Gliniewiscz when Police Chief Michael Behan was put on paid administrative leave about August 21st and I believe Lieutenant Mark Schindler was selected at that time to fill in for him while he was on leave. Then, when Behan quit a week later, it seemed like Schindler was the likely one to replace him at least until a real search for a new chief (if that was going to happen).

Something about that meeting with the mayor.

I had thought about this as well. Of course anything is possible. But it was actually someone else they choose until they appointed the Lake County Guys. Saw this today from re-reviewing the minutes. However, I somewhat disagree though we couldn't be sure without actually knowing. It was Lt. G who attended the August 25th Village Board Meeting. I believe he was going to be asked to be interim chief until a permanent one was chosen, which may or may not have been open to him.

chief.png

I think she has bigger things to deal with at this time. JMO

You are correct, she even stated so on the post on the page. She said something along the lines of whenever her world getting back in balance. Totally understandable with her tragic loss.

Truly, and I have no money on this, it sounds to me that his time with the Explorers was over. I think it was eased on him by his dear friend, the mayor, and he felt his world closing in on him. He was probably told why...but the mayor was not about to divulge the why publicly. I think that he lay awake all night and thought about his life and his family and his loss and his legacy and plotted his suicide. JMO

You phrase it in a way that is true speculation, thank-you. I think that is what some of us are looking for instead of making comments as if they were reported fact.
I originally thought the meeting was to strongly suggest Joe retire but that would be counter to the mayor asking him to stay on another month.

I had thought about this as well. Of course anything is possible. But it was actually someone else they choose until they appointed the Lake County Guys. Saw this today from re-reviewing the minutes. However, I somewhat disagree though we couldn't be sure without actually knowing. It was Lt. G who attended the August 25th Village Board Meeting. I believe he was going to be asked to be interim chief until a permanent one was chosen, which may or may not have been open to him.

View attachment 82883
I think Chief Ron Hoene is the Fire Chief.

View attachment 82883

Are you saying you think Hoehne is new Police Chief? Or am I missing the point of your post?

Hoene is the Fire Chief.

:stop:

Please stop with snarky comments. I've had to clean up several pages. If you don't like the post, scroll and roll. Alert a mod if need be. We're here to help.

Please stay on topic.

:tyou:

:bump:

....and if you can't scroll and roll, don't forget that :ignore:

Personally I think carrying on with her husband legacy would be a comfort to her and give her something to focus on.

Okay, I found the quote. "You can contact Bill Fedderly (william K. Fedderly on FB) private message him. He is running the program until my world rights itself. Mel G."

You know, I couldn't imagine being Mel G and my heart hurts for what she and her family are going through. She is obviously not in a great place to take over at this point, but does seem she plans to continue with the program. It seems she is obviously going through the page, down memory lane. Can you blame her?

Alright, I am going on soapbox moment for a moment. If anyone has ever volunteered their time, you know that what that consists of and that is YOUR time, effort, and a lot of times can be your own money. Even teachers are known to dip into their own pockets to help fund their classrooms. It seems the LT went WELL above and beyond in his position. Finding someone with that type of dedication, might not happen overnight.

Here is a quote from the LT.
"This how the post funds itself!!! We are not a line item in any budget, we have to work to earn money for the post to get equipment and attend competitions!"

He sounded very proud of the way the post supports themselves and doesn't just rely on being a line in a budget somewhere. Wow, what a concept. Teaching these kids work ethic. Some of the best skills needed to live life. Don't we need more of that as society? Personally, I think this LT was probably the best thing as a mentor role model some kids may have ever had. I do NOT nor did I ever peg Joe for being involved in any form of criminal activity, or being part of any plot or suicide cover up. He seems like a man of honor and integrity. This man seems tough as nails but his smile, to me is nothing but kind and genuine.
I think the LT speaks for himself in his dedication to the explorers if you take the time to look at the Facebook pages. I think Katy says it right, that some of things being said here, tarnish his legacy, I feel where the explorers are concerned, some of them probably are reading here, and it just seems disrespectful. I know it's all speculation and I am also part of being speculative, it just seems wrong to me in regards to accusations that he could be behind missing equipment, when he was the one tasked to inventory it all. Kinda a Oxymoron.

This man was not about himself, he was for serving and helping others. My cousin shared a story about an event they do about drinking and driving, it is held in Wisc and Joe was the only Officer they could get to volunteer their efforts. He traveled to Wisconsin on his time to do this. I just think he was that type of person.

I will get off the emotional soapbox now. So, no need to beat me up over it. It is just my personal opinion and understand that many of us hold different positions, which I respect.

Here are the links to the Explorer pages. I will admit, it made me somewhat emotional because a lot goes into what he was doing with these kids.

https://www.facebook.com/Official-Fox-Lake-Explorer-Post-300-301525713191456/

https://www.facebook.com/Fox-Lake-Police-Explorer-Post-300-8143682717/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members