IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting tiptoeing around about reward money in the days following the incident.

Hoffman Estates' village board members voted 6-0 to donate $5,000 to Crime Stoppers for such information -- but with the belief that Buffalo Grove had already started the movement with a $10,000 donation of its own. However, Buffalo Grove Trustee Jeff Berman said his colleagues' intent to do so had not yet reached formal action when law enforcement officials advised them not to publicize such a commitment for the time being.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150908/news/150908888/

[QUOTE=vestigare;12116886]Officer Fedderly is on th FLPD.
And according to Mel he is now in charge but I guys the program is still up in the air.[/QUOTE]

A thought re Officer Fedderly's role w the post - is it poss that he always, for what-ev reason, had wanted to limit his time & energy re post, had no desire to serve as primary leader? If so, is it poss he does not envision any other FLPD stepping into primary leader slot, so he anticipates the post's closing? IDK.

From my involvement w BSA Explorer program & BSA training for leaders some years back, I recall an emphasis on "two deep leadership" for all dens, troops, posts. Points being that-
- many (most? all?) posts benefit from having a second leader present at post meetings & activities.
- primary leader does not feel compelled to do everything single-handedly.
- for succession, on primary leader's departure (what-ev reason) a second leader is avail to step up, even if just temp'arily.
Another point (expressed sotto voce):
- no single leader would dominate the post to the extent that s/he could run the post too far off the rails.

^ leads to my speculation: is it poss that some parents concerned about their teens' participating in a program they thought concentrated too much on one aspect of LE, e.g. they thought firearms training, swat team exercises, etc. was not approp? Is it poss they told Lt G this, but he was not responsive, e.g. did not modify activities? I have not looked at BSA site for info about LE posts& activities.
Not my theory. Just spec that crossed my mind while seeing SM pix of members & Lt G in a swat team exercise. Not familiar w Explorer posts or leader training these days. No reason to think Lt G did anything out of line re BSA's expectations re post leader's role w the group.

Sorry have not read all posts tdy. If I'm covering plowed groud, pls excuse me.

But you are correct, I think, about parents maybe wanting a change in direction.

rsbm

I strongly agree. I wonder if some of the parents had been complaining to CG's superiors, or people in the town? I could definitely imagine some parents finding the almost paramilitary quality of his vision of the Explorers to be a bit disturbing. For some reason, it reminds me of that old George C Scott movie, TAPS.

rsbm

I strongly agree. I wonder if some of the parents had been complaining to CG's superiors, or people in the town? I could definitely imagine some parents finding the almost paramilitary quality of his vision of the Explorers to be a bit disturbing. For some reason, it reminds me of that old George C Scott movie, TAPS.

I didn't see anything in that article that indicated there were any complaints about Lt G's leadership or vision. It seemed to be a rather glowing account of his work there, imo.

"Fox Lake officials on Tuesday night said they are committed to continuing a program for young adults aspiring to careers in law enforcement that had been led by a veteran officer fatally shot last month.

...Joseph Gliniewicz, 52, a leader in the Fox Lake Law Enforcement Explorers Post 300 and well known in the community for his work mentoring teens and young adults in the program.

Mayor Donny Schmit said that while there may be some changes to the Explorers program, the board and village very much want to see it continue.

..."The post is part of our department, they're part of our family, part of our village," Ostertag said.

..."We're now starting to make (the Explorers) more of a focus as we move forward," he said.

...Gina Arbay, whose son is a member of the program, said she wanted to attend to hear what village officials had planned.

While she had not been concerned about the Explorers' future in Fox Lake, she said she was pleased to hear it had full village and police support.

"I'm excited," she said."

[It sounds to me like they are tweaking it a bit but I don't see any references to any complaints or criticism.]

He was there for 20 minutes prior to the first call. He didn't see them supposedly 20 minutes prior to the first call.

Plus they have been cleared. So why was he there when he was due to start work. If the area was so bad. Has one crackhead or prostitute or homeless witness been seen by any of the backups while they was approaching the scene.

Only we know now from the GPS that the LT didn't actually see the trio when he was "on his way to work."

Right?

Lt. Gliniewicz didn't need to see anyone along the way on his route to work, there's no reason to think he saw any suspicious characters until shorty before 7:52 am.

On any given morning he could pretty much be at Snap Fitness, on a tree lined gravel road sipping coffee or anywhere else he felt like hanging out at as long as he showed up for his shift. Between June and mid October I often arrive early and park somewhere in the area to collect my thoughts before going into work.

Don't know why but I do not think that he was parked there in front of the gate the whole time, 20 minutes. For some reason ? I think he was parked someplace else and observed the trio. being suspicious and called it in. I think (maybe) at that time he moved in closer and they took off toward the locked gate and climbed over. He pursued them to the locked gate in his cruiser and called dispatch again (3 minutes later) and began the foot pursuit with backup then on the way. At that point I think (maybe) one of the trio was able to get the upper hand (so to speak) and was able to over power Joe taking his gun and shooting him. idk that is what I envisioned happening to him. jmo

Last night I found something which set off a red flag for me. It has somewhat changed my thoughts on the angle I was pondering. I am going to continue to research this new angle. But in the meantime, for anyone interested, could you please watch this video interview with the Mayor:

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2015/09/02/71611754/

Listen, VERY carefully. WORDS are very powerful.

What bothers me about the GPS is I can not find how accurate they are. Like if I move 3 feet will it detect that? what about 50 feet, will GPS detect that? It's as if it's something they don't everybody to know. :)

About two years ago a cop showed up here (at the house) and asked if our last name was (made up names) Smith and hubby said no, he then asked if we knew a Smith, hubby said no. We live on a point that is over 400 acres, one rd in and out, 4 homes. He (cop) said there was a 911 hangup coming from here and the phone was showing as being here.

So I have to wonder just how accurate that GPS is. jmo idk

Last night I found something which set off a red flag for me. It has somewhat changed my thoughts on the angle I was pondering. I am going to continue to research this new angle. But in the meantime, for anyone interested, could you please watch this video interview with the Mayor:

I hadn't heard before that Joe texted him the night before at 9 and that the mayor didn't answer him back.
Hm.... what was Joe texting him about? What did the text say? Did the mayor throw that out there because he knew the text would come out eventually in an investigation?

"Joe, Let me use your gun." "Negative" Strange. I think the Mayor is just strange.
I wonder if he was saying that to say that no one would have gotten Joe's gun away from him because Joe was so protective of it.

If I correct at 39 seconds, yeah I heard it. jmo idk

The first time I saw him and heard him I was not comfortable.

What bothers me about the GPS is I can not find how accurate they are. Like if I move 3 feet will it detect that? what about 50 feet, will GPS detect that? It's as if it's something they don't everybody to know. :)

About two years ago a cop showed up here (at the house) and asked if our last name was (made up names) Smith and hubby said no, he then asked if we knew a Smith, hubby said no. We live on a point that is over 400 acres, one rd in and out, 4 homes. He (cop) said there was a 911 hangup coming from here and the phone was showing as being here.

Completely depends on the GPS. Some are with in centimeters. Others are off by many feet.
I would imagine the car GPS is pretty accurate just like your Car Sat Nav system is accurate at telling you when to turn on what street and in how many feet. I don't know, however, how often it sends the data. Some car GPS sends it constantly.

As for your anecdote about the cops showing up. I am sorry to tell you that cops will often use the old "we got a 911 hangup" as a fishy expedition. Or it could have been that your number was spoofed to that location.. Probably had nothing to do with GPS.

I gotta say I didn't know that the mayor had anything to do with the explorer program but that it was led by the police department. So why would Joe be talking to the mayor about something that is not in his hands to begin with, color my confused. jmo idk

Completely depends on the GPS. Some are with in centimeters. Others are off by many feet.
I would imagine the car GPS is pretty accurate just like your Car Sat Nav system is accurate at telling you when to turn on what street and in how many feet. I don't know, however, how often it sends the data. Some car GPS sends it constantly.

As for your anecdote about the cops showing up. I am sorry to tell you that cops will often use the old "we got a 911 hangup" as a fishy expedition. Or it could have been that your number was spoofed to that location.. Probably had nothing to do with GPS.

Sorry for O/T
Honestly, it happens a lot around here, 911 hangups/pocket dials. I hear it everyday on the scanner, and I asked hubby is it a button option on the newer phones that peeps are pocket dialing LE every time they sit? I mean I have to open my phone then I have to access the phone then I have to open keyboard then I have to push 911 then I have to hit call. So I just don't get it. jmo idk And no I do NOT have it programmed in. :)

rsbm

Paramilitary is the direction many Police departments are headed, the President has expressed his concerns. (unless it's bikers getting murdered by snipers) See the Waco Texas biker massacre thread on this site.

If I correct at 39 seconds, yeah I heard it. jmo idk

The first time I saw him and heard him I was not comfortable.

I think he said "because I'd [I would be talking] talk to him the next morning." Nothing stands out to me there. What are you seeing?

Did he always talk to Joe in the morning or was Joe supposed to call him the next morning?

I gotta say I didn't know that the mayor had anything to do with the explorer program but that it was led by the police department. So why would Joe be talking to the mayor about something that is not in his hands to begin with, color my confused. jmo idk

The Mayor is one of the Chiefs bosses and the Chief had just retired so maybe Joe had no one to go to. Also they are good friends supposedly.

911 calls are not traced by gps though.

They are traced by an address database provided by the phone company.

I hadn't heard before that Joe texted him the night before at 9 and that the mayor didn't answer him back.
Hm.... what was Joe texting him about? What did the text say? Did the mayor throw that out there because he knew the text would come out eventually in an investigation?

"Joe, Let me use your gun." "Negative" Strange. I think the Mayor is just strange.
I wonder if he was saying that to say that no one would have gotten Joe's gun away from him because Joe was so protective of it.

Maybe it's an inside joke or maybe it's from this:

Man asks Boynton cop, 'Hey, let me use your gun,' police say

A Boynton Beach Police officer was walking toward the station when a man yelled: "Hey, let me use your gun." The man told the officer he wanted to go get revenge on people who robbed him, according to an arrest report.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...ton-cop-hey-let-me-use-your-gun-police/njwrB/

Lt. Gliniewicz didn't need to see anyone along the way on his route to work, there's no reason to think he saw any suspicious characters until shorty before 7:52 am.

On any given morning he could pretty much be at Snap Fitness, on a tree lined gravel road sipping coffee or anywhere else he felt like hanging out at as long as he showed up for his shift. Between June and mid October I often arrive early and park somewhere in the area to collect my thoughts before going into work.

True enough. However, (Again) we know he didn't actually see the trio of suspects "while he was on his way" to work.

Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member