IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No, I believe you are wrong. The article needs to be read in order to put that pull quote in context.

I know most of the msm said at least two, so there is a possibility of more than two but not two confirmed in addition to Melodie and DJ as you had posted. If only one msm article states something different then all the other msm than I consider it a mistake.

I think joe forced the marriage just in case his son was killed in duty. The widower/his mistress would get the benefits and joe could have 2 houses. Jmo.

While this article focuses on sham military marriages to illegal immigrants, it seems the result could be the same as for domestic fraud:

http://archive.armytimes.com/articl...raud-can-earn-you-prison-sentence-stiff-fines

“ICE has partnered with the Defense Department in recent years to help get the word out. The lure of more BAH has attracted troops in the past.

“To a hardworking soldier it may seem like a good idea,” Siegel said. “But it’s not worth it.”

For a service member, getting caught could mean federal prosecution and a sentence of up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines. Under military law, the service member could also face, in severe cases, a dishonorable discharge and up to 10 years confinement.

It is not unheard of for the government to prosecute the participants in the marriages.”​

[Answer] 5
4.) No I wasn't.
5.) No way.
7.) This one I will tread carefully because I know it is a very sensitive topic not only because it's a racism issue but a racism issue regarding police. So, I've had many casual conversations with CG not specifically about race but possibly economic issues, the education system, and the poor urban community. I do not believe that he was a full on racist. However, I do not think he fully grasped what causes the ghetto be the the ghetto.
8.) As another person responded, yes. There probably is more people involved than what has been announced already.

This mentality will definitely be more prominent locally as times goes on. However I have to say looking at my facebook feed and talking to others it's definitely not universal. There are still arguments between people on what is true what isn't. If removing the "We <3 You Joe" signs and blue ribbons is disrespectful. If you are scum for turning your back on him or if you're an idiot if you don't see the truth.

Of course it may take years before 100% of the community believes the truth, that he was corrupt, but it won't take long for the majority to realize it. I think what plays a factor in it still is that DJ has not officially been charged with anything, he's only being investigated. He's still receiving support from friends saying no matter what the media says stay strong and you'll get through this.

You are ahead of the curve, but people will catch up.

As far as the race card and putting more blame on the black individual, I completely agree with you there. There were no race issues within the community that I saw. The only time I heard anything about the guy being black was "How can 1 black guy with 2 white friends get away without being noticed? How is that possible? Fox Lake has such a small black population that it would seem almost impossible not to notice this group hopping on a train, getting in a car, etc."

Are you asking the locals individually in this thread? I think it varies from person to person.. Or are you asking when it seems liked it finally went over that 50% when it started seeming like more often than not when you talked to someone the opinion of him was no longer positive?

Dear IKAM:
Thank you for your contributions to this thread.
For clarification, I am asking for your speculation as to what you and the locals have hypothesized turned CJG from good cop to bad cop?
Was their a particular event in his life? A turning point?
What is the speculation about his persona--your viewpoints & others would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance.

So chief and exec would be the 2 others?

I think that may have been a mistake in reporting...not sure, but Behan is already under investigation and the exec may have already been cleared? I think that the 2 people, in relation to the explorer account scam are just Mel and DJ. We shall see. JMO

While this article focuses on sham military marriages to illegal immigrants, it seems the result could be the same as for domestic fraud:

http://archive.armytimes.com/articl...raud-can-earn-you-prison-sentence-stiff-fines

&#8220;ICE has partnered with the Defense Department in recent years to help get the word out. The lure of more BAH has attracted troops in the past.

&#8220;To a hardworking soldier it may seem like a good idea,&#8221; Siegel said. &#8220;But it&#8217;s not worth it.&#8221;

For a service member, getting caught could mean federal prosecution and a sentence of up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines. Under military law, the service member could also face, in severe cases, a dishonorable discharge and up to 10 years confinement.

It is not unheard of for the government to prosecute the participants in the marriages.&#8221;​

Paying out extra benefits is also one of the main reasons why the military didn't want gay marriages to exist. They wanted to minimize payouts. Jmo

I think joe forced the marriage just in case his son was killed in duty. The widower/his mistress would get the benefits and joe could have 2 houses. Jmo.
Was DJ ever deployed overseas?

To the locals, I totally agree with Montjoy.....CJG's actions in no way reflect on the townspeople.

I do have a question for the locals though & it's based on my need to understand the psychological components in cases. If you don't mind answering, what is thought to be the turning point that made CJG go from good cop to bad? Was there a particular incident or event? I feel there had to be some type of "strain" of sorts that precipitated him to go down a bad path. What was it & when?

Moo

To me just reading through the personnel file... it would seem that the other chiefs seemed to keep him more in check. Behan was on the force for 33 years and LtG 32 years. I'm guessing they were friends and he felt comfortable pushing the line with Behan in that time. Behan didn't seem to call him out or hold him accountable like the others did.

I've only lived in Ingleside (pretty much Fox Lake, I'm less than 5 minutes down the road from the police station and everything else) for the past 3 years... so I don't really know a whole lot about local politics. I did believe the story of Joe being a hero when it was released, I did go to the procession to show my support and respect (not just for Joe... but all the police). I scoured every article I could find about this case. I did hear faint rumors about sexual harassment and the forgery (the weapons thingy?) but nothing about the explorers and nothing about the sham marriage. I felt that DJ was quite genuine when he spoke... I did think something was off the couple times I watched Mel speak though... and I can see that other locals thought similarly.

Impacts of this week's revelations still just coming to the surface. The sermon in this morning's church service three towns away focused squarely on the religious implications of CG's life and influences. This was from a church/congregation who had no direct ties, yet supported the community in several direct ways. Not just his direct neighbors, coworkers, and town residents are affected.

Impacts being felt by other local Explorer programs. While not the entire focus of this Chicago Tribune article, there are several mentions of CG/Fox Lake.

The training and functions of local police Explorer programs &#8212; which are administered through the Boy Scouts of America's Law Enforcement Exploring subsidiary &#8212; have come into focus in the wake of allegations by Lake County authorities that Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz embezzled funds from his department's Explorer post for personal use. With those revelations in mind, Gurnee police officials are inviting parents of their 20 Explorer participants to a Nov. 17 meeting to come in and ask questions they might have about how the post operates, said Sgt. Jeremy Gaughan, who is among the program's advisers.
"We just want to be as transparent as we can," Gaughan said this week. "If parents have any concerns, or they just want to see what we do, they're welcome to join us."

While both Kupraitis and Gaughan withheld comment on the Gliniewicz case, Kupraitis said the negative headlines of the past week haven't diminished his interest in wearing a uniform some day.

"One thing we need to do it stick together as a community and work together," Kupraitis said. "(The Gliniewicz case) doesn't drive me away. If anything, it pulls me closer."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ake-explorer-post-st-1109-20151108-story.html

Hindsight changes a lot of feelings, but not all of them.

A lot of talk here about how the locals feel here in Fox Lake. I obv can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you how I and others that I have talked to, feel about this mess.

As most here know, I was not one that thought suicide was a reality. Truth is, no matter how much I defended against the suicide, there were times I really did feel that that's what made the most sense. The days leading to the announcement of the ruling I was leaning more towards believing it was a suicide. I was in no way expecting the harshness of the latest press conference. I believe most weren't expecting it to be that ugly.

I did spend a lot of time with this case. I supported the FLPD and the task force. I supported the family.

I, with friends and family, spent over 4 hours standing by the roadside in the 90+ deg heat to watch the procession go by. Which in itself was something you had to see personally to get the feeling that was portrayed. It wasn't all about the hearse driving by. In fact, that was a very anticlimactic moment. The impressive part of the whole thing was watching LE from across the nation go by and see their respect and support for a fallen brother. It was impressive seeing the community support all the officers driving by. The sense of support that those officers received that day speaks volumes. There was no "war against cops" that afternoon. Not here.

As far as I know, the community never played into the race card that outsiders might think would come from a predominately white community. Never once did I hear a conversation that would put more blame on the "1 black" from the "2 white".

When it's all said and done, I'm proud for the way the locals stood behind who they thought was a true hero. Someone that gave their life to serve and protect. This community really came together in ways that cannot be properly portrayed from the news feeds or "on the scene footage".

It's not about hindsight. Or knowing then what we know now. It's about the showing of support we all saw for each other in a time of sorrow and confusion. Confusion as to why so many good people die from the violence of others. Seems to happen more and more these days.

In short, no regrets here. Fox Lake may now be considered the armpit of small town American corruption. But we are defiantly on the road to changing that.

Very nicely said Japple...

Is there a list somewhere of all the people who are "local?"

LFL Exec. was one of the people.... Mel was denoted as individual 1 DJ was individual 2. But as I recall, CG told the exec that only he and CG's wife and the chief knew about the explorer account(s) He did not tell the exec about his son knowing. I think that the exec may not have realized that CG was embezzling....only that he managed explorer accounts. Behan may not have known about the embezzlement either......unless he too, was on the take. But clearly, Mel and DJ did. JMO

Maybe I'm interpreting the text to the LFL Executive (Learning for Life Executive), but as far I can understand in those texts JG was asking the LFL Exec about the rechartering. He was saying that the new admin (Marrin) was a "power monger"and that the chief agreed with him and so he wanted to know if the Explorers could be chartered under something other than the PD or city. The LFL Exec said sure, maybe a Rotary club would be interested. Then JG says that only the LFL Exec, the Chief, and his wife know about this (meaning the rechartering) and to keep it under wraps until the final decision (about getting the Explorers post out of PD control) takes place.

So just going by that exchange of texts, I do NOT believe the LFL Exec had ANY knowledge of the fraudulent activity with the Explorers account!!!

Here's the link to the media release with the texts. https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/2...llow_share=true&escape=false&view_mode=scroll

Maybe I'm interpreting the text to the LFL Executive (Learning for Life Executive), but as far I can understand in those texts JG was asking the LFL Exec about the rechartering. He was saying that the new admin (Marrin) was a "power monger"and that the chief agreed with him and so he wanted to know if the Explorers could be chartered under something other than the PD or city. The LFL Exec said sure, maybe a Rotary club would be interested. Then JG says that only the LFL Exec, the Chief, and his wife know about this (meaning the rechartering) and to keep it under wraps until the final decision (about getting the Explorers post out of PD control) takes place.

So just going by that exchange of texts, I do NOT believe the LFL Exec had ANY knowledge of the fraudulent activity with the Explorers account!!!

Here's the link to the media release with the texts. https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/2...llow_share=true&escape=false&view_mode=scroll

Totally agree here on the exec. jmo

I don't think the messages/text from the ones that are under investigation have been released, or at least not all. As I said earlier the last text that I have seen is to behan on August 31 at 9:14am iirc and then there is the mayor saying that he texted joe the nite before and that he didn't hear back from him but he knew he would be talking to him in the morning. And by the way how did he know he would be talking to joe, were they that tight? It is obvious to me as to why nothing happened to him, he was so far up all the right arse's. jmo idk

I don't think the messages/text from the ones that are under investigation have been released, or at least not all. As I said earlier the last text that I have seen is to behan on August 31 at 9:14am iirc and then there is the mayor saying that he texted joe the nite before and that he didn't hear back from him but he knew he would be talking to him in the morning. And by the way how did he know he would be talking to joe, were they that tight? It is obvious to me as to why nothing happened to him, he was so far up all the right arse's. jmo idk

Yup. Can you imagine what else LE has as evidence?? Geez how many thousands of texts? 6500 was it? I forget...

I have to wonder if JG didn't have some serious dirt on others and that's why they looked the other way on many of these things he did.

Also, wasn't part of what he did in relation to forging signatures for equipment acquisitions? Does that mean he would have received equipment and therefore possibly weapons even and then could have turned around and sold them or used them as bribes/favors? Is this why the feds are investigating as well? The FBI is still investigating, right?

It just seems like there is wayyyyy more serious stuff lurking beyond stealing money from the Explorers account.... well and the attempted arranging of a hit man to off the administrator..... oh and the sexual assault of a subordinate....

moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back