IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, I have been looking at the Fox Lake Police Commission.

Haven't gotten very far but this site has their agendas and minutes. http://www.foxlake.org/Archive.aspx

And, I looked through the minutes.

http://www.foxlake.org/Archive.aspx

Board of Police Commissioners
January 6, 2015
CALL TO ORDER - ROLL CALL
The meeting was called to order at 6:40 P.M. Roll Call: Paull, present, Trinski, present and Ravagni, present. Chief Behan was also in attendance.

- Minutes from previous read.
- Payment of COPS Testing Bills for possible new hires?
- No Old Business
- New Business
Letter of resignation from Christopher Llenza.
- Report on status of next two candidates on the hiring list.
- Commission has officially moved to Commission Office at the Police Department. Keys were distributed to all Commissioners.
- Behan reported that Arbitrator's award favored Tom Olson and he will be reinstated and given a 30 day suspension. He has reported back to work.

+

February 3, 2015
No meeting was held due to lack of quorum

+

March 3, 2015

+

April 20, 2015

CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 P.M. Roll Call: Paull, present, Trinski, absent, and Ravagni, present.
Lieutenant Schindler was in attendance.

SECRETARY’S REPORT
The minutes of the January 6, 2015 meeting were read and approved on a motion by Joe Ravagni and seconded by
Margaret Paull. All voted aye.

PAYMENT OF BILLS
No new bills

OLD BUSINESS
No report

NEW BUSINESS
No new business

CHIEF’S COMMENT
Chief Behan is on vacation and Lieutenant Schindler is representing him. There are no new reports from the Police Department at the present time.

ADJOURNMENT
Joe Ravagni made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:00 PM. The next regular meeting will be held on June 2, 2015 at 6:30 PM.

+

May 5, 2015
No meeting was held due to lack agenda items

+

Does not meet in June and July.

+

August 4, 2015

Old Business
Mike Trinski will be ordering name tags for the Commission members at his expense. Thank you Mike.

New Business

The Oral interview for D DeServi will be August 10. The Commission will meet prior to discuss the interview procedure.

As per State Statue, the Commission is required to reorganize every August. Mike Trinski will continue to serve as Commission Chairman and Margaret Paull will serve as Secretary. The Commission will continue to meet the first Tuesday of the months of August through May.

Chief's Comments

No report, Chief Behan is in Florida attending his father's funeral.

Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 7:30 PM. The next meeting will be September 11, 2015.​

+

And, that brings us to September 1st meeting. Behan has resigned. And, in looking back over the year, he attended ONE Police Commission Meeting between January and September:

VILLAGE OF FOX LAKE BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
66 THILLEN DRIVE
FOX LAKE, ILLINOIS 60020-1538
September 1, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. Roll Call: Paull, present, Trinski, present, and Ravagni, present.
Mark Schindler, acting chief was also present.

SECRETARY’S REPORT
Minutes of the August 4, 2015 meeting were read and approved on a motion by Mike Trinski and seconded by Joe
Ravagni. All voted aye.

PAYMENT OF BILLS
No new bills

OLD BUSINESS
The Lieutenant Promotional list has been posted.

NEW BUSINESS

The Fall IFPCA Seminar will be held on November 6, 7, and 8, 2015 in St. Charles. The Secretary will attend.

A discussion of Chief Behan’s pending resignation was held. As he holds the permanent rank of Lieutenant, the Commission would like a copy of his resignation for our files.

CHIEF’S COMMENTS
Lieutenant Schindler gave us the horrible news that Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz has been shot and killed while on
duty. There are no answers at this time but he will keep us informed as the investigation proceeds.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
The Commission extends our sympathies to Mel and her sons. We have no words to express our grief.

ADJOURNMENT
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM. The next meeting will be held October 6, 2015

+

http://www.foxlake.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/1080

VILLAGE OF FOX LAKE BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
66 THILLEN DRIVE
FOX LAKE, ILLINOIS 60020-1538
October 6, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. Roll Call: Paull, present, Trinski, present, and Ravagni, present.
Guests present: Michael Keller, Scott Kurek, Ann Marrin

NEW BUSINESS
The sale of tee shirts honoring Lt. Gliniewicz has raised $126, 000.00. Thank you Brandy for your efforts

At the request of Mike Keller, Commissioner Paull detailed the steps that the Commission takes in hiring a new officer. Included in the process is an interview by Lt. Schindler to determine if the candidate will fit in with the department and to answer any questions that the candidate might have.

Mike Keller felt that instead of one person handling the interview, a panel made up of Lt. Schindler, Sgt. DeServi and Lt. Norris would be more effective.

We have always had good results with the Lieutenant in charge of the Patrol division doing the interviews but the Commissioners agreed to try it for this candidate.

Commissioner Paull asked Ann Marrin when she felt we would be hiring as were are now down 5 officers and she was worried about the safety of other officers working longer shifts. Ann gave the OK to plan on hiring the middle of December so that the candidate could be outfitted and prepared to attend the Academy session starting in January.

She also asked Ann when the internal investigation would be completed so that the department could get return to normal and have the officers involved back on the street. Ann could not give a completion date but said that everything was being done to wrap it up as soon as possible.

Ann cited a new ruling that an interview would be taken as a job offer. The Commissioners will be contacting our attorney to get his opinion.

Mike Keller asked if he could be part of the hiring process but State Statue 65 ILCS5 gives that job solely to the Fire and Police Commissions.

Commissioner Paull made a motion authorizing Commissioner Trinski to meet with our attorney to discuss the issues raised by Mike Keller and Ann Marrin. The motion was seconded by Commissioner Ravagni and all voted aye.

Commissioner Ravagni brought up the issue that the media is calling the Commissioners for an interview. The Commission reaffirmed that we do not give interviews regarding the Commission or the Village.

ACTING CHIEF’S COMMENTS
Mike Keller gave an update on changes he has put in effect and feels that the department is responding well to the new procedures.

ADJOURNMENT
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM. The next meeting will be held November 3, 2015​

And, there you have it. I summarized a little in some cases. Some of it was stuff we have looked at before. Nothing explosive or particularly revealing. In fact, they don't seem to do much except that attending the IFPCA Seminars seems big on their list of things they like to go to.

Thank you for going through all of those minutes i.b. I know everything isn't included but it makes it sound like a quiet little city and not one about to be threatened by gangs and drug trafficking.

WOW again about the thirty-year celebration. I asked about that several threads ago...that there seemed to be no record of the celebration and wouldn't the kids know that he was retiring and securing new leadership for his "Exploders". Sounds to me that his beloved colleagues had his number, but kept quiet out of fear of losing their jobs. JMO

bbm^ In ~spring & summer, IIRC, JoeG applied for other LE jobs in the area. W his deep entrenchment w the Post, could he have AZZ-umed that he'd be hired by another dept, then teleport (more or less) the Post w him?

Does anyone recall date, well, the month of Joe G's e-mails w LFL exec about poss new sponsorship? Thx in adv.

w my edits & formatting, below.
....Haven't gotten very far but this site has their agendas and minutes. http://www.foxlake.org/Archive.aspx

February 3, 2015

March 3, 2015

May 5, 2015
No meeting was held due to lack agenda items

Does not meet in June and July.

From Jan through Aug 2015, Commission ---
- did not have quorum to conduct bus.......... 2 mo
- did not meet due to lack of agenda items ... 1 mo.
- did not meet -for unspecified reasons ........ 2 mo.
............................................................... 5 mo of 8 mo.in 2015 before Joe G's death, no meetings.
IOW Commission met 3 times in 2015 before Joe G's death.

Gotta agree w i.b.nora's post about the commission not seeming to do much. JM2cts.

Thank you for going through all of those minutes i.b. I know everything isn't included but it makes it sound like a quiet little city and not one about to be threatened by gangs and drug trafficking.

Respectfully, being so close to the Chicago area, any area is open to gang infiltration and drug trafficking. I get the feeling Mikey and Joey let a lot slide which would open the doors to that kind of rift raft.

“The Commission will continue to meet the first Tuesday of the months of August through May.”

The commission normally only meets 10 months a year. As reflected in the August 4th minutes.

Respectfully, being so close to the Chicago area, any area is open to gang infiltration and drug trafficking. I get the feeling Mikey and Joey let a lot slide which would open the doors to that kind of rift raft.

Oh, I realize that. I was commenting more on the difference between the peaceful minutes and the gang infiltration, homeless and drug trafficking comments. There just seems to be a disconnect.

In fairness to the Mayor about the trip to San Diego. I heard it was a group of about 10 people that went on that trip, mostly couples. The media made it look like it was just the 2 buddies out on a road trip.

I googled "Gliniewicz military surplus". I found a site from a military surplus store in Kenosha, WI. which honored JG on their site. Was he selling to them?

Maybe some buying/selling/trading going on with this outfit and others in the area. I think this might play into the money laundering part of the investigation. Not at the fault of the surplus stores. But I can see him purchasing 10 helmets for $100 and the Explorers paying $1000 for them.

w my edits & formatting, below.

i.b.nora
Thx for your excellent work and observations above.

From Jan through Aug 2015, Commission ---
- did not have quorum to conduct bus.......... 2 mo
- did not meet due to lack of agenda items ... 1 mo.
- did not meet -for unspecified reasons ........ 2 mo.
............................................................... 5 mo of 8 mo.in 2015 before Joe G's death, no meetings.
IOW Commission met 3 times in 2015 before Joe G's death.

Gotta agree w i.b.nora's post about the commission not seeming to do much. JM2cts.

How does a police commission work? Is it like a school district where the superintendent "works" for the board? If so, the lack of meetings and Behan attendance speaks volumes to the accountability. How does the commission know what is going on in the department? In the village as far as policing/crime? How is the Chief accounting to the commission as to his performance? How many commissioners are there that they can't get quorum? Smells an awful lot like like good-old-boy network in another corner of town.

“The Commission will continue to meet the first Tuesday of the months of August through May.”

The commission normally only meets 10 months a year. As reflected in the August 4th minutes.
I get why boards/commisions have troubles meeting in summer months, but they have quorum/attendance issues much farther than that. I don't look past the summer months off even in a lakes community like this. Resort/vacation life IS THEIR VILLAGE and the influx of non-resident and tourist activity during that peak time of year should mean they should be more active in policing activity from the streets all the way up to the commission.

it was telling as to MK's attendance and process questioning. Not that Lake County where he comes from is big city, but his actions show him thinking/realizing the small town mess that was hiding here. He's got his work cut out for him as interim.

Rereading the texts, I noticed a couple of interesting think that weren't in my mental account of the whole story.

Gliniewicz: "Yes, I'm working that issue today and through the weekend.. We have a new village administrator that is a power monger and is trying to control everything in the village. We are all looking at our pd retirement options and i need to move the post out of that span of control at least till this person's contract is up."
They "all" were looking at quick retirements. Behan, check. JG, check. Who else?

Until AM's "contract was up". She had been there a year already, he was trying to outlast her and continue to cover up, but she got too close and he panicked.

Gliniewicz: "Nope, as long as we are sponsored by the pd, and after she makes the village structure change she will have the means and ability to do as she wishes"

Hadn't remembered this. What structure? When? Who?

How can a police commission possibly know whats going on when they aren't made aware of every single suspension (for example) regardless of the length?

Astounding!!!

And this.....

When a female officer complained in 2001 that she was pressured for sex in exchange for him protecting her job, the police chief at the time gave Gliniewicz six, 5-day suspensions to avoid informing the village police commission, which had to approve suspensions longer than five days, according to court records.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d7b0...-forgave-many-abuses-cop-who-staged-own-death

You really have to wonder what the Chief was getting out of all of this. Why be so protective of GI Joe? If you ask me, it had to be more than just friendly favoritism. Either JG had major dirt on the Chief, or the Chief was right in the thick of the money dealings.
(moo)

Which was it? Time will tell, I guess. :thinking:

You really have to wonder what the Chief was getting out of all of this. Why be so protective of GI Joe? If you ask me, it had to be more than just friendly favoritism. Either JG had major dirt on the Chief, or the Chief was right in the thick of the money dealings.
(moo)

Which was it? Time will tell, I guess. :thinking:

Wasn't it a female chief back in 2001?

The Police Commission in my city:

About the Police Commission

The mission of the Police Commission is to set policy for the Police Department and to conduct disciplinary hearings on charges of police misconduct filed by the Chief of Police or Director of the Office of Citizen Complaints, impose discipline in such cases as warranted, and hear police officers’ appeals from discipline imposed by the Chief of Police.

Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and the Board of Supervisors and they oversee the Police Department and the Office Of Citizen Complaints. The Commission also appoints and regulates Patrol Special Officers and may suspend or dismiss Patrol Special Officers after a hearing on charges filed.

Notices: The Police Commission meets every Wednesday. The location and time may vary. Please check the latest agenda for exact place and time for the next meeting. Inquires should be directed to the Secretary.​

I suspect that the basic mission stated above is common to every Police Commission in America, regardless of the size of the village, town, city, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back