GUILTY IL - Mya Lyons, 9, stabbed to death, Chicago, 15 July 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes but the problem is, with no new information it's hard to get media coverage when the victim is black.

There actually might be new information. A good reporter would be able to dig it up and a new story would be great to get the case back out there.

There actually might be new information. A good reporter would be able to dig it up and a new story would be great to get the case back out there.

Hey, I'm actually working on getting national coverage. I have been in contact with a crime advocate who has connections all over the country.

I live in Chicago and am not familiar enough with this case. I need to reread the thread. Thanks for the new info Cathy!

Hey, I'm actually working on getting national coverage. I have been in contact with a crime advocate who has connections all over the country.

Cathy,
Mya was a beautiful little girl and I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss. Is there anything that we can do to help get coverage and to find out who did this?

Cathy,

I'm so sorry for the loss of Mya. She grabbed my attention the first time I read her story. It is so frustrating to have NO information from LE to even discuss here, and no pressure from the media to release it.

I honestly am one who does not think it is a black/white thing, but an information issue. I check this thread regularly and do searches for Mya's name to see if there is new info. I think it is up to local media and LE to bump this case to the forefront and bring it back to the public's attention.

Unfortunately, they have their hands full with some higher profile criminals at the moment. :rolleyes:

I hope you can get the media's help with this.

Now since Caylee has been found maybe Nancy Grace would be interested in doing a piece on Mya. I know we won't be getting quite as much info on Caylee until Casey comes to trial, and NG has done other pieces since Caylee's disappearance.

Annoying as NG is there is a lot of people that watch her (including me). She just might be able to get enough attention on Mya's case for LE to step it up a bit.

Cathy, connecting with a crime advocate is fantastic. As someone pointed out NG has alot of viewers. She's also been working alot of cold cases lately.

Good thoughts everyone. What's going on in Ill. does put everything else on the backburner right now.

Cathy, I'm rereading the thread and most of the articles are gone now. There have been so many inconsistencies in the timeline and info. Is that because of the media or because of the people involved? A timeline the best you could put together would be a great start. Thanks!

Cathy, I'm rereading the thread and most of the articles are gone now. There have been so many inconsistencies in the timeline and info. Is that because of the media or because of the people involved? A timeline the best you could put together would be a great start. Thanks!

SuziQ - you are absolutely right about the confusion regarding this case. I sent a local reporter an email trying to clarify some points and he expressed his frustration with not being able to get any clear information. The email and response are in the early part of this thread.

Cathy - I would contact this same reporter again.... He seemed interested and caring. He may be able to help.

Salem

It certainly was someone on that block. That's for sure.

Are you sure? I'm asking sincerely. I realize that it appears it was someone very close to the home, but I am also reminded of the sweet little girl in WA that was kidnapped from the alley behind her house when she went to call her brothers in after a fireworks display. If there would have been no one to see the vehicle that took her, many might have thought it was someone in the neighborhood or someone in her family.

I do really appreciate your clearing up some of the discrepancies that we have heard in the media.

Salem

Cathy Cole - see my posts 77 and 111 in this thread. I sent an email to Robert Mitchum at the Chicago Tribune. He replied and was very interested in doing a timeline and trying to put some of the pieces together. He said he was not getting concrete info from the Chicago Police.

Obviously, will all that is happening in Ill right now, timing might be bad, but seriously, Chicago LE should not be directly involved in the Gov scandel.

Anyway, maybe the reporter will sit down with you and Mya's mom and put a timeline together that can be published. If he will do a feature article it could generate some new leads. In addition, maybe he can get some follow up info from LE about DNA results, etc.

If it appears the reporter balks or trys to stall you, put out an SOS her and I will certainly write him an email letting him know how interested I am in hearing further details in this case and trying to help Mya get the justice she so rightly deserves.

Blessing to you and your family,

Salem

So sorry about your loss cathy. I have been reading about this case since the beginning and your family has been in my prayers and hopefully there will be justice for Mya. I think it was someone who knew her it doesn't seem random. I dont believe it was the dad though.

Cathy,
Mya was a beautiful little girl and I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss. Is there anything that we can do to help get coverage and to find out who did this?

Yes, if any of you have connections with AMW or CNN, that would be great.

About the timeline, that is also a mystery to me. Only the people in the home know the exact times of events. I to would like a more clear time line, but the media printed alot of non-facts. They made it seem as if Mya was raised by her mother and only visited her father for the summer. Correction: Her FATHER raised her.

About the timeline, that is also a mystery to me. Only the people in the home know the exact times of events. I to would like a more clear time line, but the media printed alot of non-facts. They made it seem as if Mya was raised by her mother and only visited her father for the summer. Correction: Her FATHER raised her.

Cathy - this is hugh!!!! Did she just visit with her mom? Can you work with the dad to establish a timeline? I know he has an attorney and has probably been advised not to do much talking. But it seems that a timeline of events could be established to generate more leads?

Salem

Cathy - this is hugh!!!! Did she just visit with her mom? Can you work with the dad to establish a timeline? I know he has an attorney and has probably been advised not to do much talking. But it seems that a timeline of events could be established to generate more leads?

Salem

Yes I will get a timeline.

Welcome to WS Cathy Cole and Dream!

I am so dang happy to see some information for Mya!!! :woohoo:
I have been following this case since the beginning and there has been no information from Chicago. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I don't understand how a little girl could be murdered and the city doesn't publicize it. I don't care if she is white, black or green, it makes no sense that there hasn't been any information.

Thank you for the link to the story about Mya's Mom going door to door. I wish I was in the area, I would go with her. So the concensus is a local on the block did it? You have to ask why. Was she going to tell on someone for something? I never heard that Mya was raised by her Dad. Why would the media have reported it wrong? Or who put the wrong info out there. I am suspicious of everyone at this point.

Now what can we do to help get publicity?
Besides contacting AMW and CNN/Nancy Grace.
What else?

Can someone give me some pointers for writing to the media. What things can you say that usually make them take notice? I wonder if any of them would like to report on it to show the difference between the media coverage of the murder of a white child and a black child. I hate to think that it happens today but it's a little obvious in this case.

Anything to get word out about Mya and how we have to find out who did this so they can be punished.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back