Recovered/Located IL - Sergio Brown, 35, Former NFL Safety, his mom Myrtle Brown was found dead & he is missing, Maywood, 14 - 16 Sep 2023 *arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wednesday, November 22nd:
*Felony Preliminary Hearing (@ 9am PT) – IL - Myrtle Jean Simmons-Brown (73) found dead & Sergio missing Sept. 16, 2023, Maywood (Chicago); sister of Myrtle last talked with her on Sept. 14, 2023; Brown’s body appears to have been found near a small nature walk along a section of Silver Creek, which cuts behind her house. Tall grass & wildflowers line the creek & a cluster of trees border her backyard was found on Sept. 16, 2023. *Sergio Stephen Brown (35) a former NFL safety was arrested (10/10/23) & charged (10/12/23) with 1st degree felony murder/intent to kill/injure & concealment of a dead body. Held without bond. Was extradited from San Diego County CA to Cook County, IL on 10/12/23.
Case & Court info from 9/16/23 thru 10/11/23 reference post #298 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...aywood-14-16-sep-2023-arrested.690712/page-15

10/25/23 Update: Was extradited back on 10/12/23. First appearance hearing on 10/25/23. Brown was charged with 1st degree murder & concealment of a dead body.
10/25/23 Update: Prosecutors alleged during his court appearance on Wednesday that Brown was the last person seen with his mother, Myrtle Brown & he had booked a one-way ticket to Cancun, Mexico following her death. He faces charges of first-degree murder & concealing a homicide. The Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Jose Villarreal said in court that the former footballer had been seen burning fabric the night of his mother’s death on Sept. 14 & while booking Airbnb rentals with his mother's credit card & then flew out to Mexico the next morning. Public defender Robert Fox, who is representing Sergio, said in court that no one witnessed the alleged crime. “There’s no direct evidence, it’s all circumstantial,” Fox said. The Cook County Judge Teresa Molina-Gonzalez sided with the state, deciding to keep Brown in custody as, she said, the evidence presented proves he may be a flight risk & danger to the community. Cook County Judge Molina-Gonzalez denied Brown a pretrial release until his next court date on 11/22/23 for a felony preliminary hearing @ 9am.

Docket entries and next court date

Thank you! and
Happy Thanksgiving Yeah Smiley

So was a public defender representing Sergio because he hasn’t found an attorney yet? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought only if you were poor or couldn’t afford an attorney is when you would be able to use a public defender

So was a public defender representing Sergio because he hasn’t found an attorney yet? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought only if you were poor or couldn’t afford an attorney is when you would be able to use a public defender
Your are correct, you need to prove financial need to qualify for a Public Defender. It appears Sergio has no financial resources.

IMO, I suspect the reason he murdered his own mother was because she wouldn't keep bankrolling him. He had run out of money, opportunities and had likely borrowed from her before. No coincidence he fled to Mexico and used his mother's money to book and pay for his final 'vacation'.

JMO

Your are correct, you need to prove financial need to qualify for a Public Defender. It appears Sergio has no financial resources.

IMO, I suspect the reason he murdered his own mother was because she wouldn't keep bankrolling him. He had run out of money, opportunities and had likely borrowed from her before. No coincidence he fled to Mexico and used his mother's money to book and pay for his final 'vacation'.

JMO
Online speculation is that he'd have earned $6 million or more during his football career, which ended in 2016. That's a lot of money to just evaporate in a few years.

JMO

JMO

I see three potential versions. One, a younger son of an athletes' family, quiet, perhaps with some LD, whose parents become his guardians, and it continues through his football career, then mom, essentially, continues controlling his money and he is her ward. Then he needs the money and gets angry.

Two, he is a quiet kid raised in religious family who gets into NFL and starts partying hard, catching up for the time he spent studying and practicing. Essentially, career is gone in six years, and so is the money so he moves in with Mom as he has no money for own house.

Three - something in between. The 2012 lawsuit between Anna Kournikova and her parents taught me that there is a huge grey area. On the one hand, the parents work hard to invest into their "golden" child. As Anna parents' lawsuit said, "they were her managers and promoters". On the other, after 18, the money the child wins is, legally, his/hers. Who knows where the golden middle is? Maybe some kids never thought of formally separating their assets from the parental ones, and then it came back to bite them? It is interesting to find out where SB's situation falls.

Obviously, it was not as much as this idiot thought it was.
6mil divided by 10 years is 600k a year which is what a good surgeon, attorney or investment banker could make. TBH Idiot is a hard word for those who haven’t learned to manage money. Many who come into money like he did don’t have the knowledge to manage it. I’d refrain from calling any one who doesn’t have the skills to manage money an idiot. there are to many variables.

6mil divided by 10 years is 600k a year which is what a good surgeon, attorney or investment banker could make. TBH Idiot is a hard word for those who haven’t learned to manage money. Many who come into money like he did don’t have the knowledge to manage it. I’d refrain from calling any one who doesn’t have the skills to manage money an idiot. there are to many variables.
This guy is an idiot for plenty of other reasons.

He had an MBA. He got a good job when he retired, but only stayed in it a few months.

"Twenty-nine-year-old Sergio Brown, who played in eight games for the Buffalo Bills last season, is another University of Miami MBA. Rather than try out for another team, the seven-year veteran called it quits in the offseason and signed with Google instead, as a digital advertising account manager."

ETA: $600k is the current earning threshold to be part of the 1%. So 99% of the population manage quite well on less, and even pay their own way to Mexico.

Last edited:
He had an MBA. He got a good job when he retired, but only stayed in it a few months.

"Twenty-nine-year-old Sergio Brown, who played in eight games for the Buffalo Bills last season, is another University of Miami MBA. Rather than try out for another team, the seven-year veteran called it quits in the offseason and signed with Google instead, as a digital advertising account manager."

ETA: $600k is the current earning threshold to be part of the 1%. So 99% of the population manage quite well on less, and even pay their own way to Mexico.
I did know he had worked at all after he left football. It’s still very interesting he was living with his mom. I wonder what the reason for that was.

Just because he may have may have made 600K a year, doesn't mean he banked 600K a year. That would put him in a pretty high tax bracket and without deductions and good financial planning more than half of his yearly income would have gone to Uncle Sam.

Then when you figure in the "Keeping Up With The Joneses" effect and how much he likely spent as an NFL player perhaps buying houses, cars, jewelry and paying for other pleasures and indulges, he might not have had much money left in his savings account when all was said and done.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertlou
Back