Found Deceased IL - Thomas “Tommy” Howe 24, left on foot after crash on I-94, Libertyville, 22 Jan 2022 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Facebook page sharing updates:
Search for Thomas “Tommy” Howe

His Mother stated the accident was severe enough that all airbags were deployed. The car was also totaled, but I've seen minor accidents total a car that was older. Just depends on the damage type. But the airbags indicate it was a significant accident and the airbag going off could have stunned him too.

Also, depending on the appointment he had been at, could have had a medical incident that caused the crash too, though I imagine if that was seen as a risk he would have been given a ride.

Facebook page sharing updates:
Search for Thomas “Tommy” Howe

His Mother stated the accident was severe enough that all airbags were deployed. The car was also totaled, but I've seen minor accidents total a car that was older. Just depends on the damage type. But the airbags indicate it was a significant accident and the airbag going off could have stunned him too.

Also, depending on the appointment he had been at, could have had a medical incident that caused the crash too, though I imagine if that was seen as a risk he would have been given a ride.
My husband got rear-ended at a red light this month by a teen driver (who was cited). The damage was the back bumper and he was able to drive it home. They still totaled it (2011 model SUV). Airbags going off usually indicate a more serious collision though not necessarily one that will induce an injury. It's brutal cold here. In my township in Chicago with the wind a couple of nights ago the windchill was at minus 30. He would need to be somewhere inside at this point to survive. I hope that is the case and he's just not reaching out to the family.

JAN 28, 2022
UPDATE: No new leads Thursday in search for missing Antioch man | State & Regional | kenoshanews.com
[...]

... Another search was conducted on Thursday focused on areas of the forest preserve that have been identified as having a higher likelihood of providing information about Howe’s possible movements following the crash, Antioch Police Chief Geoffrey Guttschow said.

[...]

A caller told the Kenosha News on Thursday that there had been an unconfirmed sighting in Pleasant Prairie, but village police Thursday said they had no such reports.

[...]

Prior to Thursday’s search, Guttschow met with Howe’s family and members of the volunteer group who have been helping in the search.

“We want Tommy’s family and friends to know that we’re committed to being there with them every step of this process,” said Guttschow. “Our investigators continue to follow up on every lead that has been called into our dispatch center.”

Howe’s family scheduled a prayer service and rosary reading Thursday night at St. Patrick’s Church in Wadsworth, where Howe reportedly grew up.

[...]

I dropped my kids off at the ex’s in Libertyville (Green oaks) tonight. I intentionally went to the Walgreens there to see if there were posters up. Nope. This is the north/east side of the village. Another Walgreens is at the border of Vernon Hills and Libertyville. Just mentioning this bc of traffic flow. Libertyville has several arteries.

I don’t live in the area any longer so I’m not gonna go in there asking questions but this is sort of the outskirts of Libertyville and if posters could be put up there, it would be helpful. Hopefully family will think about that.

We have had a lot of beautiful snow followed by below freezing temps.

JAN 29, 2022
24-year-old Thomas Howe remains missing 1 week after disappearance in Libertyville (lakemchenryscanner.com)
272455686_1133242883881307_7238227228951757063_n.jpg

... Another search party today turned up no results.

[...]

The man’s mother, MMH, said the crash was severe enough to total his car.

“All airbags had been deployed yet he was able to get out of the car. He may have a concussion and be so confused that he may not know who he is,” MMH said.

“While in this massive search effort please be aware that he is harmless. He is a rule follower, hard working, loving kid that would do absolutely anything for anyone,” she added.

[...]

Saturday morning, one week after Howe went missing, family and friends held another search party but it did not turn up any results.

[...]

The latest update from the search group is that this is moving from a grassroots search back to letting the police handle the investigation. That tells me they have accepted he doesn't need rescued and they don't want anyone else getting hurt in the elements.

I'm still holding out hope he is holed up with a friend. Although that is sounding less likely as time time goes on. I know they had a helicopter out searching, but I wonder if they had dogs tracking. There has been nothing about that in local news and it seems like a missed opportunity with Daxx the wonder K9 in Lake County, too.

There’s also the metra that goes through Libertyville. I’m still trying to figure out how he got from the toll road to the preserve off St Mary’s road.
While we might not know 'how' he got there it's not really that difficult or long of a walk - there are quite a few side streets/quieter streets that he could have taken.

I wish he would have gone to Lamb’s Farm for refuge. They are a safe environment for mentally challenged people. I’m sure that area has been checked out. They most likely have several cameras.
https://lambsfarm.org/

On another note, we still can’t locate Billy the Bison. He’s been on the run for 4 months in the county. Billy The Bison Spotted Near Her Farm, Being Lured With Food

IMO, if he is deceased, he will probably be found near the area in the springtime.

There are several unusual elements that I’m struggling with. Thoughts?

First, law enforcement communications have requested privacy for the family from the very beginning. I find this unusual. What is the sensitivity driven by? Was there mental illness? Perhaps something criminal in nature?

Next, the FB group was looking for search volunteers for yesterday’s search, but the initial post language said to reach out to the closest family member you know for information on where to meet. Why not encourage all the volunteers you can by disclosing the search location? Why the secrecy?

Next, the Illinois State Police MEG group was involved with previous search. This organization is focused on drug enforcement according to the Illinois State Police website. Is it routine to engage these assets in a missing persons case or is there some criteria/justification required?

Finally, I think the mother’s choice of words in her FB post were highly unusual. She was communicating that “he is totally harmless”. Why would she say this? Did she think there was some perception among the general public that he was dangerous? Or maybe he was exhibiting unusual behavior recently????

I don’t live in the area any longer so I’m not gonna go in there asking questions but this is sort of the outskirts of Libertyville and if posters could be put up there, it would be helpful. Hopefully family will think about that.

There have been plenty of online/social media postings in the area.

Understood. Just giving background that while there may not be physical flyers, there are online flyers.

I totally agree! That’s how I found out, through my local Patch Online. I always rush over to Websleuths to see what’s going on.

I used to live behind the catholic cemetery off off St Marys Road. My thoughts are with the family.

Has LE released the nature and/or cause of the accident? I wonder if another vehicle was involved or TH may have lost control and struck the median or guard rail causing the air bags to deploy and thus "totaling" the car per reports. I ask as it relates to his possible state of mind if he was at fault or felt he was responsible and if speed or alcohol played any role.

Has LE released the nature and/or cause of the accident? I wonder if another vehicle was involved or TH may have lost control and struck the median or guard rail causing the air bags to deploy and thus "totaling" the car per reports. I ask as it relates to his possible state of mind if he was at fault or felt he was responsible and if speed or alcohol played any role.
I think this is the only report I've seen that mentions another vehicle. Because of that, I've wondered whether or not it's accurate. MOO

JAN 24, 2022
Antioch man who left scene of crash on tollway Saturday still missing (dailyherald.com)
... After the appointment, he was involved in a crash about 11 a.m. with another vehicle on the tollway near Route 176, police said.

According to Antioch police, witnesses reported seeing Howe walking away near mile marker 16.75.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back