Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like hopeful news. I'm so glad they are being careful with not releasing information. I hope she can return to her home safe and alive!!

the closest encounter with this incident was that bicyclist and the white car behind astra, looks like something drew his attention over that direction. he probably saw something happened there. I'm wondering if he's come forward yet or FBI found him. he's certainly a uiuc student.

attachment.php

Wouldn't over analyze this. Btw, I'm Nick. You can check out my profile if you wish to know more about me. Only really written on one other case in the Midwest. It was based out of Kansas City. I think my profile should link to that page and my posts? In essence, I've got a former amount of experience working for a law enforcement agency. This case caught my eye. Brazen, puzzling and something just doesn't add up. I would have posted sooner, but thought something of greater evidentarybvalue would have been realesed by now. The fact that it hasn't makes me inclined to share my thoughts. As aforementioned, I don't post often. But when I do, buckle up; I can become quite loquacious.

-Nick

"To the person who did this, please be kind to her and let her come back."

FBI has made search for missing UI scholar a top priority

Holloways said updates on the case are sent a minimum of two times a day to the office of the acting director of the FBI in Washington, D.C.

"We are not where we were when this investigation started. We are not even close," he said.

And updates on Zhang are being regularly sent to all 56 FBI field offices around the country.

Holloway explained why details on the case have been withheld from the public so far.

"There are going to be a lot of questions about the investigation that I cannot answer. Anything I say here will be heard by the abductor," he said. "It would jeopardize our efforts to locate her and to bring her abductor to justice."

Holloway said that, when authorities get evidence, the FBI will make sure that they have "rock-solid chain of custody."
This is really good news. I think they have a POI or are very close to one. They're really working this case, extensively. Idk if they normally send out reports to that many field offices especially the director on all of their cases. But, I feel like this tells us they really are tracking those Astras in multiple jurisdictions, among many other things. Thank goodess.
I am somehow super invested in this, I want this family to have their daughter back. I saw where a family member mentioned they felt like it wasn't fast enough but were thanking LE etc. I totally understand that, I would want 1000's of officers walking into every single home hunting my loved one. I hope they find her and find her alive. Yes I know the statistics.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OK I found it here: https://illinois.edu/lb/files/2017/06/19/61649.pdf

On the daily crime log, it says that on 6/9 at 9:20 a.m. there was an incident reported where someone was falsely impersonating a peace officer.
The location was Busey and Stoughton, and the recorded time of the call was at 9:29 a.m.
That was the same location as the one claimed by the girl on social media on 6/11--before this log would have been available, and before the footage of Yingying's abduction was released.

I think the girl's claims on social media are verified. That case is listed as "pending".

But here is something interesting...

Two days later on 6/11 at 10:38 p.m., there was another reported incident of someone impersonating a peace officer at Washington and Neal streets. The police report says "ARREST".

There are no other reports in the last two months of anyone else trying to impersonate a peace officer at the UI campus.

So the question is...are these cases related? Has the perp been sitting in jail for the last two weeks and that's why police said there isn't an immediate danger to the public? Was he arrested in the last few days and they are holding him while they investigate more? What is going on here?
Do they have a list of inmates for the arresting agency on their website? This could be easy to figure out who it is that committed 1 of the impersonations. God I hope there are not numerous LE impersonators in the same vacinity. And here in lies the problem if we start posting this person if we found out who is that going to hurt the investigation and is it a websleuth violation? But it's been referred to in many MSM articles, the impersonation bit.

Yingying, we are thinking of you and praying for you.

I downloaded the daily log and I was shocked at the number of sex offenses and many at unknown locations. Numerous sex assaults. Does this mean they have a serial rapist out ther and nobody warned these college girls?

I wrote on websleuths a few years ago but recently became active again. You can check out my comments on the KC trail murders; be warned, they were rather lengthy. I think the best way to do this is by viewing my profile? Formerly, I worked within a LE agency. If you choose to read some of my posts in the KC forum, you can certainly ascertain more on this. As aforementioned, I don't post often. However, when I do, I tend to become quite loquacious.

Let me first start by saying their have been some great thoughts and ideas posted thus far. This case is quite frankly baffling. It appears a kidnapping occurred in broad daylight on a college campus. Because of this, we arrive at my first thought: the brazenness of this crime is incredible. Moreover, the suspect did not utilize physical violence. Rather, he possessed the confidence to speak with his or her victim in a heavily trafficked area. The difference in methodology is critical, I would opine. Even if he or she had attempted to lure another victim prior to this crime, the suspect ran the risk of being noticed. Why was the suspect this determined? It's baffling.

My second thought is victims just don't disappear without a trace anymore. Nowadays, cameras are everywhere. Whether it be on a phone, business or some other structure, everything has a camera. I would guess the investigative team has worked and will continue to work this angle. Just because one video has been made publicly available, doesn't mean that this is the only video they have. On the flip side, they obviously need more items of evidentiary value. A make and model are absolutely beneficial; the amount of man hours required to interview every vehicle owner of that type is massive, though.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the amount of facts released, either. Certain facts can not be released as investigative work would be compromised. Yes, I realize this is stated on every case until is adjudicated. Truly, the smaller a circle of information, the better.

- Nick

OK so out of those posts we can at least confirm that the other young woman was approached by someone in a black sedan at 9:20 a.m. just a few blocks from where Yingying was abducted. He falsely impersonated a police officer and tried to get her to enter his vehicle. She refused and called police.

Yingying entered the (probably same man's) black saturn astra just after 2:00 p.m. There was a 4 hour 40 minute time interval between the earlier attempted abduction and Yingying being approached by the black car. Did he drive around that entire time? Was anyone else approached? Did he get scared and disappear for awhile only to come back? That's a long time between the two incidents.

I wonder if anyone saw this vehicle circling around suspiciously or stopping anywhere at other times during the day. Maybe someone saw something. I hope they call in with their tips.

This case is quite frankly baffling. It appears a kidnapping occurred in broad daylight on a college campus. Because of this, we arrive at my first thought: the brazenness of this crime is incredible. Moreover, the suspect did not utilize physical violence.

She's a petite foreign student, only in the country a month. Has probably only been around colleagues/associates that have obviously have her best interests in mind. Gets out on the sidewalk alone, in a major metropolitan area without U.S. specific street smarts and is immediately spotted by someone looking for exactly that type of target. He most likely utilized (IMO) at least the threat of physical violence.

Doesn't seem too farfetched to me. Will agree that it's odd the vehicle hasn't been tracked down.

She's a petite foreign student, only in the country a month. Has probably only been around colleagues/associates that have obviously have her best interests in mind. Gets out on the sidewalk alone, in a major metropolitan area without U.S. specific street smarts and is immediately spotted by someone looking for exactly that type of target. He most likely utilized (IMO) at least the threat of physical violence.

Doesn't seem too farfetched to me. Will agree that it's odd the vehicle hasn't been tracked down.

Statistically, a true stranger based kidnapping would be incredibly far fetched. This wasn't a case involving alcohol, from what I know. She wasn't last seen at a bar leaving with an unknown male. She didn't pack her belongings and suddenly leave town, it would appear. Kidnappings and abductions are some of the most rare felonious offenses. Toss in the time of day and location? Yes, it is an anomaly for a university affiliate to be kidnapped by a stranger in the middle of an afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistically, a true stranger based kidnapping would be incredibly far fetched. This wasn't a case involving alcohol, from what I know. She wasn't last seen at a bar leaving with an unknown male. She didn't pack her belongings and suddenly leave town, it would appear. Kidnappings and abductions are some of the most rare felonious offenses. Toss in the time of day and location? Yes, it is an anomaly for a university affiliate to be kidnapped by a stranger in the middle of an afternoon

I hate to bring up Ted Bundy but approaching a vulnerable young college student in the middle of the day and posing as an authority figure isn't unheard of. I've traveled fairly extensively worldwide alone and even with a military background it can be a dodgy proposition negotiating the local mores and simply trying to get from point A to B in the course of normal business.

That's speaking as a mature, adult male. This girl was an obvious target who shouldn't have been out there alone riding public transit. Unfortunately we in the U.S. have a much lower standard for civil order than the media would lead our visitors to believe.

Statistically, a true stranger based kidnapping would be incredibly far fetched. This wasn't a case involving alcohol, from what I know. She wasn't last seen at a bar leaving with an unknown male. She didn't pack her belongings and suddenly leave town, it would appear. Kidnappings and abductions are some of the most rare felonious offenses. Toss in the time of day and location? Yes, it is an anomaly for a university affiliate to be kidnapped by a stranger in the middle of an afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this person has harmed other women before and there are other previous victims out there. I say this from experience. I am a male, but between grade school and college three times men tried to abduct me into their vehicle. In the first case, I was 9 years old and returned home from playing with a friend. Nobody was home, so I waited on the front porch. It was late in the day, a quiet lazy suburban street with the occasional car passing by. The next door neighbors briefly said hi before heading out into town somewhere.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I suddenly saw a car driving slowly down a street that was adjacent to ours. As I turned my head down to the end of the street to watch it pass by, it made an abrupt stop. The car just sat there in the middle of the residential T-intersection for a moment. The speed and trajectory of the car was such that it was not initially going to turn onto my street, so when it did turn towards my house I became immediately afraid. I was only 9 years old but my spidey sense was off the chart. I have never felt that way in my life since. I was thinking to myself, please let this car keep driving, don't stop in front of my house. But sure enough, the car parked in the street directly in front of our house. The man exited his vehicle and started to walk up the driveway towards me. He never made it close enough to speak and I wanted to run but I was afraid. Just then I noticed vehicles rounding the corner at the other end of the street, from the opposite direction. The man stopped and looked towards the vehicles, as I did, and it was my family returning home. He got back into his car and quickly drove away.

I tell that story because it felt very different and very frightening compared to the other two incidents that happened to me later in life. In high school I was walking down the road late at night to play basketball at a boys and girls club. My neighborhood at that time was next to an industrial park that was empty at night, but I had to walk down that road. The car pulled up alongside me and the man asked if I wanted to go for a ride and get in. I said no. He continued to talk to me and ask where I was going. Do I want a ride there? At that point I ran as fast as I could one block down the street to the convenience store. I watched from the lit parking lot until he squeeled his tires and sped away. I did not feel the same fear during that encounter like I did when I was a child, although I did prudently run away. Nor did I feel fear when in college a man tried to entice me into his vehicle in an even more ridiculous way. Those guys were amateurs. The guy who drove up to me next to the industrial park immediately started with "hey want a ride?" "Wanna get inside?" Or something to that effect.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but looking back I felt like those two last guys, the amateurs, didn't really know what they were doing. One guy was a stranger who immediately had me on my guard, and never did anything to ease my suspicions. He immediately asked me to get into his vehicle on a dark road at night. The other guy was a total dope and a moron and by that age I could have kicked his *** anyway.

But that first guy circled our neighborhood, maybe all day. He may have known my family wasn't home. He parked in front of my house in broad daylight, got out of his car, and started walking towards me on the my own front porch. He did it very calmly and matter of fact. It was probably something he had done many times before.

And the fear, that instinct that you can feel in your bones and makes your hair stand up on your limbs, I felt it that day and have never felt it since. I have no doubt that man, as opposed to the other two, had done very evil things to other boys before that day.

That's why I think the man who abducted Yingying has done this before. He was approaching girls in broad daylight. He didn't just ask them if they want to go for a ride. He didn't flirt with them or tell them they are pretty or do anything that would cause them to keep their guard up. I think if he had engaged Yingying in such a way she would have never got into his vehicle. Just look at how she carried her backpack--she even clutched it against her as she was stepping into the vehicle. She was a very cautious woman.

I can only see one of two scenarios happened:

1. This loser creep said he was a law enforcement officer and produced a fake badge. Maybe he had a gun in his waistband. He did not ask Yingying to get in the vehicle right away. The video showed they talked for a few minutes, so he must have been questioning her on some imaginary case. Some further ruse to make it look even more like he was a cop. When he started questioning her she must have been suspicious. But after a few minutes, she felt like she should get inside. She was even more vulnerable than most girls here because of the language and cultural barrier. She may have felt compelled to do as this fake police officer told her, since she was from China. I don't know, although even a white American girl may have gotten in the vehicle if he had kept driving around long enough and came across the right one.

2. He impersonated an Uber driver. He may have pulled up and asked if she called for Uber. She was waiting at the bus stop, so my guess is no she did not. But he could have responded by telling her he's an Uber driver and if she's looking for a ride. The bus doesn't come around that often. He wants to make some money. Her state of mind might not have been the best since she was running so late. Maybe the blood had rushed to her head and she was upset and agitated for being late and in a hurry, and when he kept persisting that he could get her there in a couple minutes but the bus would take a long time, she finally went for it and took the ride.

I don't know. I feel really heartbroken for Yingying and her family. The odds are not good, but I pray she comes home safe. Her family should know though that no matter what happened to her, the FBI is going to get the guy. I feel very very confident about that. The camera footage of the abduction is one of those things that just makes the case. Without it, her fate may have never been known, but with it this guy WILL get caught. The authorities are undoubtedly closing in on him and building their case even as we speak.

And if he's harmed any other young women before, as I suspect, they are going to get justice too. At last.

I don't know who or what kind of cases but using an elaborate ruse to abduct women in broad daylight is not the MO of someone who has never done this before, in my opinion.

Any appeal for dashcam footage from any vehicles that may have been in the area around that time - We see a couple of vehicles pass in the cctv.

Any appeal for dashcam footage from any vehicles that may have been in the area around that time - We see a couple of vehicles pass in the cctv.

Yes I don't know where I saw it before, but police did ask the public to check dascham footage from their vehicles.

Also the MO thing got me to thinking this guy might be a salesman. A lawyer like Ted Bundy is not likely given the make of his car. But I think his background is something where he talks a lot. He feels comfortable trying to convince and persuade people. Someone like BSL with the Mickey Schunick case, the guy was a mouthbreather violent person who drove a big truck and literally ran over his victim to get her in the car. This guy is trying to do all his work with his mouth.

If it turns out he's a traveling salesman stopping by in the area from another part of the state or neighboring state, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I hate to bring up Ted Bundy but approaching a vulnerable young college student in the middle of the day and posing as an authority figure isn't unheard of. I've traveled fairly extensively worldwide alone and even with a military background it can be a dodgy proposition negotiating the local mores and simply trying to get from point A to B in the course of normal business.

That's speaking as a mature, adult male. This girl was an obvious target who shouldn't have been out there alone riding public transit. Unfortunately we in the U.S. have a much lower standard for civil order than the media would lead our visitors to believe.

Thank you for your service, sincerely.

This is why I don't comment online, traditionally. You named Ted Bundy, that makes the point I was making. That's one of the most obvious anecdotal examples in the U.S. As far your travel, as have I. This really isn't a competition, with regards to your travel. I am very unclear; what are you speaking about with relation to public transit? Uber would be in the private sector.

I agree. As a woman, I am very uncomfortable using public transportation alone in an area foreign to me. I don't agree that she shouldn't have been riding alone, but I do think she should have been given a lot more information and instruction on stranger danger in the US.

She looks quite young and petite maybe the guy think she is a teenager waiting at the bus stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member