Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a mugshot? It's such a close up. His eyes seem awfully moist, crying maybe?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good question ... It doesn't state the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that could be like saying he wasn't interested in abducting a female just because he had an interest in that fetish site. I'm just saying...

Fact is he did have an interest in abduction. And so he may have had an interest in Asian women as well.

We are just sleuthing possibilities.

Right, and I'm not saying not to consider that, I'm saying it's not evidence he was specifically looking for someone Asian to kidnap. It might come out later that he was, or it might be that he was set on kidnapping *someone* (if he's the same person reported for luring before) and he wasn't so specific in his targeting.

But really, what kind of grown <modsnip> man watches anime?
A lot of grown men watch anime, and many are very normal. Even my dad would watch a little cow boy bebop ans he's in no way an anime dude. A lot of anime are aimed at adults as well and are not for young people.

Is this a mugshot? It's such a close up. His eyes seem awfully moist, crying maybe?

Looks to me like a crop of the photo from his FB with his arms crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all know who the bad guy is here, but the university should be ashamed how they handled the case. A woman reported a man, possibly or probably the suspect in this case, cruising around trying to lure girls into his car all day. Did they step up patrols? Did they send out a campus-wide alert? We DID get alerts for would-be abductors at one of my universities. Doesn't seem to be the case here. They also used unhelpful language in their investigation, as opposed to what the FBI said. All to minimize negative PR.

And now they didn't even talk to the family about the memorial service? Are you kidding me? Could anything scream "OK everyone time to move along and get back to normal business" more than this massive PR trainwreck? As someone who spent nearly a decade in universities they really infuriate me in how they conduct business...business (sometimes not education) being the operative word.

University will unfortunately go into full PR mode. The mainstream newspapers all note that U of IL has more Chinese students than any other university and in fact they even have some orientation sessions in China because there are so many students coming from China. This university is more well-known in some parts of China than Chinese universities. They are in a full-blown PR disaster when it turns out a fellow member of the community is alleged to have committed the crime. It will be interesting to see how they handle it. It's a disgrace if it turned out to be true that there were warnings and no alerts were made. This is a big story in Chinese press I believe so hopefully alot of the truth will come out as far as warnings, etc.

Baby Metal is a very popular band. Liking them a lot doesn't mean someone has an Asian fetish. They are Japanese, not Chinese There is a difference fwiw.

He may or may not have targeted this poor woman in particular because she was Asian. And that he was specifically cruising for an Asian victim. We don't know. But I would caution against deciding he did just because he had an interest in Japanese anime and a band.

edited: sorry I didn't mean to pile on, I hadn't read the other posts pointing this out.

Ah geez, I guess my point has been missed. I posted TWO VERY SPECIFIC VIDEOS from his play list.
The 2 I posted had to do with "imagery and theme". I don't care if they are popular, not popular, or the Spice Girls of Northern Sudan......my point (and Yes, I did have one, lol)...the videos were scary and disturbing to me. I am not cool, I get it.... I was just so surprised at the themes of the videos. I had NEVER seen anything like that before. (I still have my ticket stubs from the only 2 concerts I ever attended, Cher and Celine Dion, ok?.)

University will unfortunately go into full PR mode. The mainstream newspapers all note that U of IL has more Chinese students than any other university and in fact they even have some orientation sessions in China because there are so many students coming from China. This university is more well-known in some parts of China than Chinese universities. They are in a full-blown PR disaster when it turns out a fellow member of the community is alleged to have committed the crime. It will be interesting to see how they handle it. It's a disgrace if it turned out to be true that there were warnings and no alerts were made. This is a big story in Chinese press I believe so hopefully alot of the truth will come out as far as warnings, etc.

I would love to go into the chancellor's office and give him a moment or two of my thoughts.

Just thinking, LE announced yesterday that Yingying is likely deceased due to what he said in the recorded audio and "other evidence" found during the investigation. I'm assuming this "other evidence" was found by a forensic team in the trunk of the car. He must have transported her somewhere after he killed her, and most likely put her in the trunk to do that.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Still catching up.
I'm not sure about forensic evidence, it's not been released. But perhaps they're preparing an indictment for murder and it will be released as evidence for that.

I think many potential killers are now well aware of forensic science, and try to figure out ways to avoid leaving any kind of DNA, either of their victim, or themselves. I think this kidnap and murder was completely planned out in advance, every step of the way. (Except for the street camera, he forgot about that)

For eg, he must have had some plan on how to get her into his apartment in the middle of the afternoon without being seen, or her attracting attention. The parking at that Stonegate Village, from Google maps, is that outdoor parking runs around each building, then you have to walk, it seems, to a common locked entrance for your building: They advertise having secured entrances.

That's an enormous risk to take, what if someone was coming out and Yingying got their help (I wish it could have gone that way), or even seen them out a window. If he'd been caught, that'd be game over for his career, no university would accept someone who's tried to kidnap a student.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Such a shame. This case reminds me some of the Annie Le case at Yale where it turned out to be a university employee. This attack though is much more random. If only she would have gotten the bus...

<modsnip>

If you are 10 minutes late to an apartment showing it's not like it's that big a deal. She would have either had to be coaxed into the car somehow - maybe a gun? - or she either knew him or he knew a mutual friend. Being in physics, he probably knew a lot of Chinese students. I read that U of Illinois has more Chinese exchange students then any other U.S. university - something like 5,600 students are from China, which is a significant number. He could have threw out some names - say I am so and so's friend - a Chinese exchange student that was popular on campus or a leader of the exchange students- and she being in a rush and unsure of the transport schedule got into the car because she felt he was ok.

They were in a different fields in the university so they would not have interacted much. Was he already at the university for some time doing a postdoc or something? If so he would not have been in any orientation session or anything unless he was leading the orientation session. One could probably figure out the name of whoever was leading orientation sessions for new exchange students. I get the sense that he was not new to the university. He was also too comfortable in his hunting grounds to be new. Probably most likely there was a mutual friend.

Interesting. I feel the opposite: that they were strangers, that in fact she did feel very pressured not to miss the landlord appt., and also that this suspect had massively prepared very convincing "pickup lines" for every circumstance, wherein he presented some sort of bonafide grad student evidence - maybe wore a UI photo id on a lanyard or parking decal or whatever - so that while he was a stranger to her, he seemed a legit "harmless" fellow grad student. I worked at a major California university for many years and now live in central Illinois. At UC, you'd do just about freaking anything for a good apartment, and I while I realize Urbana is probably not as cutthroat a housing market, I also worked with visiting scholars, and many listings were housesits for faculty on sabbatical or otherwise recommended by faculty, and you may not to appear to be a flake to your department by being a no show. Just a thought. I also agree with another poster that the "she panicked" thing was likely true, after his wrong turn alerted her to his intentions, and that suspect probably got off on relaying that to LE.

I think he produced a weapon at that point or she would have fled the car. <modsnip> Lastly, to me his eyes are dead and hollow looking like many sociopaths.

May God rest and keep her poor soul, this one really hits me hard.

I wanted to add to above posts, the fact the alleged perp is a grad student of several years duration at the U of Illinois will indeed be a nightmare for university spokespeople, they know vast swaths of the public in the US and China, might start to associate his actions with the university environment, values, attitudes, etc, or even hold them responsible for sheltering and supporting him.

<modsnip> But the U Ill could easily get on that list.

probably but how did he keep her from screaming, banging on the window all while driving?

He may have simply employed the child safety lock button located on most driver side door consoles.

I wanted to add to above posts, the fact the alleged perp is a grad student of several years duration at the U of Illinois will indeed be a nightmare for university spokespeople, they know vast swaths of the public in the US and China, might start to associate his actions with the university environment, values, attitudes, etc, or even hold them responsible for sheltering and supporting him.

Link to UI statement re suspect no longer a student. Sounds like he got a terminal masters and the boot in May:

Is this how they caught him?View attachment 119258

FBI said it was damage to the passenger front hubcap.

Thank you for that photo! Do you have a link for it?

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]University of Illinois Chancellor Robert Jones said this morning in a mass mail to campus that a memorial planned for missing UI scholar Yingying Zhang has been postponed.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-07-01/memorial-ui-scholar-postponed.html

I hope it's a good sign, asking for this space. The request came from the family.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The family might still be clinging to a faint hope that she's alive somewhere? :(

When I tried to figure out how it went down in daylight, I believed the abductor got on the interstate and out into a rural area. I should have considered if he was bold enough to do this in daytime he would be bold enough to take her where he lived. I just don't understand how he got her to his apartment. Was this another ruse? He told her his apartment complex was similar? He told her he <modsnip> would show her around? However it happened this guy is brazen.

I wonder what made him feel so secure. It would be interesting to know the reason for his careless attitude. Totally wrapped up in his fantasy?

It's good of course, that he was careless.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....eld-scholars-kidnapping-grad-student-48392179

IT finally scrubbed his pic from the front page of the UI Physics Dept. website.

I&#8217;m probably grasping at straws here, but since some of you have been looking over the fetish site this guy visited (I don&#8217;t want to go there) can anyone say if many of the fantasies involved imprisoning young women (keeping them alive) as sex slaves or for other purposes? Any chance YZ could be locked in some sort of structure with some access to food & water but no means of escape? Not clear to me what the specific police evidence is of YZ&#8217;s demise (other than probability)?
Like others, I&#8217;m also baffled at how the perp got her in and out of his apt. without drawing attention or being seen? Do the police have physical evidence that she was in his apt. or only his word that he took her there?

... Lastly, to me his eyes are dead and hollow looking like many sociopaths.

May God rest and keep her poor soul, this one really hits me hard.

RSBM

Agree with you completely about this. When I look at any of his photos, all I can think of is the saying...

'The eyes are windows to the soul.'

No truer statement, in my opinion

But that could be like saying he wasn't interested in abducting a female just because he had an interest in that fetish site. I'm just saying...

Fact is he did have an interest in abduction. And so he may have had an interest in Asian women as well.

We are just sleuthing possibilities.

I wonder if he tried getting <modsnip> other females to act out his fantasies with him.

JMO, as I see it, most people find it sufficient to just fantasize, then there are the people who find fantasy not exciting enough and want to act it out, then there are the people who find fantasy and role play not exciting enough (or possibly, just can't voluntarily share their fantasies with someone else), and want to do it for real. In the latter case, the person is probably a psychopath, and basically is quite capable of seeing and treating other people as objects, just like in video games. The one thing preventing him is the fear of getting caught, but he may be able to convince himself he's smart enough or lucky enough, that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members