Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
All I can think of is that it is in a place where they do not want the public to go, and yet is still difficult to find. I think WSers who are suggested the landfill might be on the right track.

I don't know to find the link now but in his online-profile he mentioned his "fear of dump sites" (or similar wording). I noticed that a lot.

ETA: found something on Reddit re Tinder:
Fears garbage disposals, modern windmills, ....
I notice it's a device and not a place, sorry, I didn't know before. Thanks to "wheresbeef" some post below.
BCKidnappingProfile.jpg

LOL, I get to this point with almost every case I follow. At some point the conversation seems like it is going around and around. I happen to be a little more inside on this conversation, but I have especially felt like that when I am just observing. Appreciate what you are saying.

For me, on a personal level, it is trying to figure out why someone who is so much like me in some ways would go in this direction. On a more altruistic level, as a mom and teacher, I want to understand how to see the signs of trouble and do whatever I can to prevent a crime. The more I understand, the more I can help.

When a control freak lost his PhD candidacy, he felt the powerlessness. He is mad and he need find something to regain his power. It would be very interesting to checking the timing of when BC was forced to quit PHD and when He started Fetlife.
I bet that is how he tried to regain his ego: abduct a young female, enslave her sexually, or even kill her. See how happy he was in the rally and see how mad he was in the mugshot. Before being caught, he enjoyed being in control including enjoying the victim family suffering in person. Once he caught, he was as mad as monster.

When a control freak lost his PhD candidacy, he felt the powerlessness. He is mad and he need find something to regain his power. It would be very interesting to checking the timing of when BC was forced to quit PHD and when He started Fetlife.
I bet that is how he tried to regain his ego: abduct a young female, enslave her sexually, or even kill her. See how happy he was in the rally and see how mad he was in the mugshot. Before being caught, he enjoyed being in control including enjoying the victim family suffering in person. Once he caught, he was as mad as monster.

Scary part of all this is what would have happened if there was no video? He potentially could have gotten away with it. Seriously, that video was key to catching him. I would have loved to have seen his reaction when he saw the video on the news.

garbage disposals, modern windmills are powerful converting mechanisms that once they start to move, you cannot stop them or recover from them.

He joined in April, I believe his graduation was in may.

garbage disposals, modern windmills are powerful converting mechanisms that once they start to move, you cannot stop them or recover from them.

I can't stand having anything in common with this guy, but yeah...I'm uncomfortable with those things too.

I have a phd so I completely get what you mean but I don't think most people in the real world know of the distinction. I have not followed where he said he was a candidate but he sure seems like a conceited guy so he might have just referred to himself as a candidate to sound more impressive, though I doubt few people would even care.

I imagine to go from candidacy (ABD) to phd is a little harder in the sciences because you literally have to be in a lab. It's odd why he quit because oftentimes the masters does not do much for you, though in the sciences it could be different. It does not help you in academia since you need a phd and there is such an overglut in general of phds who can't get jobs in academia that industry already has alot of phds. Maybe that's why he couldn't find a job. Also, sometimes people want to "trade up" by getting masters from a "better" school but his undergrad school is of similar reputation.

I agree -- I have a Ph.D. and was a professor who taught Ph.D.s in the sciences and I never thought of Ph.D. "candidate" versus Ph.D. "student" was a big deal. And ABD --
meh. To me, all that means is, "couldn't finish dissertation."

At the school where I got my Ph.D., and the school where I was a professor, you became a candidate after passing prelimis. If you didn't pass prelims, you were booted out of the program. So time and candidacy status was 100% correlated if you were still a student by year 3, and really, the only thing that mattered was getting your Ph.D. or not and how many papers you published.

Anyway, whether he called himself a candidate, a student, or an ABD doesn't really matter to anyone outside of a very small circle of people. Basically, calling oneself a candidate if not a candidate, or calling oneself an ABD, ever, smacks of trying too hard and achieving too little to most people who are in the know.

If LE has evidence in the form of a photo or video that Yingying is dead why isn't BC being charged with murder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps as leverage in order to recover her body? Or to use later to present at a bond hearing? I think the important issue was getting him off the streets ASAP. Charges can always be upgraded later. Just my thought.

Here is a video of the tunnels underneath the UIUC and also an article of the steam tunnels. It seems the first tunnels are a thoroughfare to get to different parts of the campus whereas the steam tunnels are more difficult to navigate and off limits to students.

https://youtu.be/Dx2gSNyIfr4

https://thetab.com/us/illinois/2016/02/03/inside-uiucs-underground-steam-tunnels-223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M Wonderful! Loved the video and just couldn't get over all the cement walls. Like underground bunkers AND no windows!! Scary....I really felt worried for the isolation factor....and almost screamed when you walked up to the chest freezer. Wow...then I saw the video was made Sept 3, 2015!! You got me.....

I agree -- I have a Ph.D. and was a professor who taught Ph.D.s in the sciences and I never thought of Ph.D. "candidate" versus Ph.D. "student" was a big deal. And ABD --
meh. To me, all that means is, "couldn't finish dissertation."

At the school where I got my Ph.D., and the school where I was a professor, you became a candidate after passing prelimis. If you didn't pass prelims, you were booted out of the program. So time and candidacy status was 100% correlated if you were still a student by year 3, and really, the only thing that mattered was getting your Ph.D. or not and how many papers you published. There was no particular reason you would even bother with your masters degree in my field -- I didn't even take the time to put in the paperwork to officially receive my masters degree even though I could have after I acheived candidacy (which involved prelims and writing what was essentially a masters thesis, though we called it something else... I think we called it our "first year project," but the thesis/project was so unimportant in the scheme of things, unless we published it later, that I don't even remember what we called it.).

Anyway, whether he called himself a candidate, a student, or an ABD doesn't really matter to anyone outside of a very small circle of people. Basically, calling oneself a candidate if not a candidate, or calling oneself an ABD, smacks of trying too hard and achieving too little to most people who are in the know.
As far as I know, in many top statiscs and physicis programs, PhD qualification exam or prelim is tough and a big deal. Fail can be a hugeness blow to some of the students.

As far as I know, in many top statiscs and physicis programs, PhD qualification exam or prelim is tough and a big deal. Fail can be a hugeness blow to some of the students.

Passing quals/prelims is a big deal for everyone in all kinds of programs. But being a "candidate" or not, is just semantics, to most, in my pretty long experience in academia. Anyway, moving on.

I kind of remember that BC worked in construction before. Could he use cemet to bury her in land or water?

Passing quals/prelims is a big deal for everyone in all kinds of programs. But being a "candidate" or not, is just semantics, to most, in my pretty long experience in academia. Anyway, moving on.
Thanks. Anyway, losing his PHD may be a trigger of his evil...

It may be different at other schools but at Urbana-Champaign, where I got mine, this kind of status is even a factor in when one is advised to go on the market for jobs. It is fairly routine for PhD candidates to begin to seek employment while PhD students are discouraged from doing so. Again, I brought this up not because employers are necessarily steeped in these distinctions or will catch someone who misrepresents their level of training. People out there fake having college degrees altogether. I was making an inference based on the inaccurate information he posted to his LinkredIn profile as to his character and state of mind at the time of the murder.

As far as I know, in many top statiscs and physicis programs, PhD qualification exam or prelim is tough and a big deal. Faiil can be a hugeness blow to some of the students.
But he did not fail his PhD, he gave it up

But he did not fail his PhD, he gave it up

It depends if he chose to or he was forced to. I guess it is not clear at this moment. All the reports say he is a good TA but nothing about his research or academics. I tend to believe he failed his PHD so he had. O choice but to get a MS and go to job market.

It depends if he chose to or he was forced to. I guess it is not clear at this moment. All the reports say he is a good TA but nothing about his research or academics. I tend to believe he failed his PHD so he had. O choice but to get a MS and go to job market.

It may be. After all, it appears his focus had shifted tp sex/dates, video games, and ultimately abduction rather than on Condensed Matter Physics. We will learn more about this guy as the trial approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1