IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Uh oh, I think I have Dr Dental Chews in my cuphard. My mom got them for my dog for Christmas but I havent opened them yet- gonna go toss them right now.

I have two cats and no dogs. So after going through the scare with the food I was feeding my two cats, and discovery that their food wasn't on any of the lists, I breathed a sigh of relief, only to remember that I have a bunch of dog treats, that I keep by the garage door, for the neighborhood dogs, whose owners walk them by my house. I have The Sunshine Mills Jerky Treats, both beef and lamb, along with dog biscuits, etc.(Costco size containers)... Another sigh of relief as the code numbers/dates of the products I have aren't on the recall list of Sunshine Mills

I have two cats and no dogs. So after going through the scare with the food I was feeding my two cats, and discovery that their food wasn't on any of the lists, I breathed a sigh of relief, only to remember that I have a bunch of dog treats, that I keep by the garage door, for the neighborhood dogs, whose owners walk them by my house. I have The Sunshine Mills Jerky Treats, both beef and lamb, along with dog biscuits, etc.(Costco size containers)... Another sigh of relief as the code numbers/dates of the products I have aren't on the recall list of Sunshine Mills

Sigh of relief huh, Buzz? Glad to know that your kitties and the neighborhood doggies are safe :)

How cute that you give the neighborhood doggies treats on their walks...your house must be a favorite :)

I stopped by Wal Mart this morning to pick up some new cat treaties. (The Pounce I had were on the recall list and the Whiskas Temptations I thought would work made Miss Pandora barf.) Unfortunately, they still had recalled items on the shelf! I spoke w/ an employee who did not seem to take me seriously, so I called WM HQ to register a complaint. The operator was horrified--having two kitties of his own (and, I'm sure realizing the legal implications). The local manager called me an hour later and said that the dog food on the shelf was fine--I said, "I called about the RECALLED CAT FOOD!" His response: "What recalled cat food?" I gave him the website for recalled cat food. Apparently the idiots here were only aware of a recall on the dog food! SHEESH!!!

I stopped by Wal Mart this morning to pick up some new cat treaties. (The Pounce I had were on the recall list and the Whiskas Temptations I thought would work made Miss Pandora barf.) Unfortunately, they still had recalled items on the shelf! I spoke w/ an employee who did not seem to take me seriously, so I called WM HQ to register a complaint. The operator was horrified--having two kitties of his own (and, I'm sure realizing the legal implications). The local manager called me an hour later and said that the dog food on the shelf was fine--I said, "I called about the RECALLED CAT FOOD!" His response: "What recalled cat food?" I gave him the website for recalled cat food. Apparently the idiots here were only aware of a recall on the dog food! SHEESH!!!

That's horrible. The Walmart by my house removed all the tainted food immediately and continue to do so as new recalls develop.

I've been feeding my furbabies Ole' Roy biscuits since they were old enough to chew their food. They've learned to sit, beg, roll over and "play dead" because of Ole' Roy. (I raised nine from a litter and kept all of them). Just think...one of those commands could have easily come true! When will this ever end?

Just went to the local Pet Store for DOG FOOD - was eeriely quiet and and the shelves looked like the shelves look in grocery stores when they are forecasting a major winter storm or hurricane.

It seems to be all coming from this "wheat gluten" in the dog food. My doggies have always eaten Science Diet (corn gluten) so I feel pretty safe, but it still freaks me out.

At this point in time, I would not feed my pet anything with wheat gluten in it - whether it has been recalled or not

I agree with those of you that are saying no wheat gluten at all! Better safe than sorry. Every day there's something new, or so it seems.

Didn't realize there were that many brands/manufacturers of pet foods out there and I can't believe how long the recall list is getting........

For now, maybe it would be better if they made up a NOT RECALLED (as of yet) list ----

Didn't realize there were that many brands/manufacturers of pet foods out there and I can't believe how long the recall list is getting........

For now, maybe it would be better if they made up a NOT RECALLED (as of yet) list ----

Agreed!!!

Maybe we could do that here? Everybody post what they are feeding their pet!!

As far as I know, Purina Beneful dry food is still NOT RECALLED. Still feeding it to my 1 yr old lab and he is thriving.

Agreed!!!

Maybe we could do that here? Everybody post what they are feeding their pet!!

As far as I know, Purina Beneful dry food is still NOT RECALLED. Still feeding it to my 1 yr old lab and he is thriving.

All of Science Diet is okay for dogs; all is okay for cats except for the Hill's Science Diet Prescriton W/D or M/D - can't recall which one it is - it's the only one that has the wheat gluten in it.

Well i am feeding my guy hills sceince diet sensitive skin formula dry and a lil bit of science diet beef entree wet mixed in.we bought a big bag of dry and a case of the wet before all the recalls happened.i check the hills website all the time now.and so far all they recalled is cat food.i think i am pretty much safe now being that hes been eating these foods for awhile now .and hes healthy and happy.just wondering what to feed him after thats done?or should i just keep him on hills

We're still feeding our cat Eukanuba dry (salmon flavored). It has corn gluten rather than wheat and he seems fine.

It's the cat MD food (Hills) that was recalled - it is supposed to be their ONLY variety that contains wheat at all.

My dogs are on Merrick canned & dry which has no connection to Menu foods nor wheat in it.

My cats are getting various canned now - Nature's Recipe, Wellness & Merrick.

Take your magnifying glass and read labels for wheat.

NO ONE SHOULD TRUST THE PET FOOD ON THE SHELVES OF ANY WALMART without first reading the labels or checking the recall lists. There are posts all over the internet about different Walmarts still having recalled foods on the shelves. I'm sure other stores have the same problem (human error, etc.).

Here's what I'm feeding my babies:

My dog is getting Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance dry for her kibble. I also add in either my homemade mixture of rice, chicken, veggies and oatmeal, or the canned Natural Balance, Merrick or Prairie.

As for the cats, they get Hills Prescription Diet k/d dry(not on the recall) mixed with canned Natural Balance, Merrick or Wellness.

Mine eat Solid Gold Wolf King or Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken. With raw foods for dinner 3X-4X a week. Raw chicken, turkey, oxtails, Raw hamburger, beef hearts, ribs, or beef liver mixed with rice, yogurt and veggies. They like deer meat and lamb also. I also add fish oil to all their food, makes them nice and shiny.

Mine eat Solid Gold Wolf King or Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken. With raw foods for dinner 3X-4X a week. Raw chicken, turkey, oxtails, Raw hamburger, beef hearts, ribs, or beef liver mixed with rice, yogurt and veggies. They like deer meat and lamb also. I also add fish oil to all their food, makes them nice and shiny.

RAW food? Isn't that NOT GOOD? Wouldn't they be susceptible to the same things we humans are from raw foods - i.e., Salmonella, E. coli and what not?

The Food and Drug Administration said the manufacturer, Sunshine Mills Inc., is recalling dog biscuits made with imported Chinese wheat gluten. Testing has revealed the wheat gluten, a protein source, was contaminated with melamine, used to make plastics and other industrial products.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264396,00.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns
Back