Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #152 *ARREST - Richard Allen*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the presser, DC seemed to fumble a bit when a reporter asked if the reward was involved. Do you think we'll find out someone actually called a tip in to the reward line?

I also think it's strange that the home was searched and it was about 10 days before an arrest and RA just went on like normal. Didn't try to run, although I guess he knew it would be futile to try and hide with the magnitude of media coverage in this case.

MOO

I bet in 'hindsight' her mind is reeling just about now :/ I feel badly for the family of this monster. moo

There’s a true crime show called ‘I lived with a murderer’. Or something similar to that. It’s actually quite shocking how often people live a normal life with a monster in disguise. In the show, family members recall signs that they did not pick up on till after the person is caught. While logic tells us we would know, I think living with and loving the person hinders that logic. How often have you encountered a stranger and thought they give you a creepy vibe? That stranger probably goes home to a loving family that do not ever get that same feeling. Moo

If he knew they were on to him and his game was almost up….and he would know his life would then become a life sentence in jail/on death row….kind of begs the question why is he still alive!? Why would he want to live his remaining years in hell in a state prison where he will be a target?

“This investigation is far from complete, and we will not jeopardize its integrity by releasing or discussing documents or information before the appropriate time.

"We're gonna keep doing what we've been doing until it is done," Carter said of the possibility of the involvement of others.

"We haven't cleared anybody."

Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland declined to elaborate on whether authorities are seeking additional suspects.

If he knew they were on to him and his game was almost up….and he would know his life would then become a life sentence in jail/on death row….kind of begs the question why is he still alive!? Why would he want to live his remaining years in hell in a state prison where he will be a target?
Many criminals - especially ones that have gotten away with something for so long - get a feeling of invincibility so even of LE is poking around them, they still often think "they haven't caught me yet, why now?"

Additionally, while I have no idea what the mental capacity of RA is, criminals are often very good at crime itself but exceptionally dim when it comes to other functions of society. So it's possible RA knew the heat was being turned up, but chose to immerse himself in denial and because doing the opposite would also force him to admit that LE had outfoxed him, which is something a number of criminals have difficulty acknowledging.

DC himself said in the 2019 press conference when talking "directly to the killer", "we know this is about power to you". Power over the families. Power over LE. Power in being so much smarter than everyone else. Had RA either committed suicide or fled, it would have forced him to admit that he no longer had the power.

Posting these notes for anyone that might be interested in pin points.

Information from Barbara McDonald (Down The Hill) and the neighbour two doors up.

• Search Oct 13. Commenced just before noon - went for 12 hours. LE arrived in unmarked vehicles and clothing. LE asked Rick and Wife to exit the house.
  • Rick stood in the driveway for several hours and also sat in the car with his wife for several hours. At some point the neighbour said the wife left.
  • Plenty of LE just stood around for the first part of the day. As it was getting dark Chief Deputy Liggett arrived with a piece of paper in hand. He handed that paper to Rick. Immediately a tow truck arrived and to take Rick Allen's car away.
  • At this point some LE entered the house and some entered the backyard. They started searching the shed and taking pictures.
  • LE were using a device like a metal detector or sonar around the shed and in the flower bed. They did not dig in the flower bed but did dig up two tiny spots near shed.
  • LE started bring ing items out from the house. Neighbours said 1 LE officer came out with what appeared to be 2 large bundles of dark coloured cloth. Could not be sure it was clothes, only that it was definitely cloth.
  • LE also brought out a Macy's shopping bag, a shoe box and a small stack of books. Said they were thin books not thick like encyclopedia books.
  • The neighbour said they were starting to get concerned and placed a call to Chief Deputy Liggett to ask what was going on and all that Liggett told them was to 'stay vigilant especially with your wife and daughters.' This unsettled them.
  • The day after the search Rick went to work. The neighbour states he saw him in store and felt that Rick was continuing as if nothing happened. Neighbour said they lived life as normal til Oct 26th when Rick was detained.
  • From Oct 26 the neighbours have not seen anyone at the house. They have not seen the wife since he was detained.
  • House has remained empty since Oct 26.
  • The neighbour said they were a normal family. They did not have visitors, no parties, etc. They were very quiet.
  • Neighbour said he would see Rick arrive home from work and Rick would regularly sit in the driveway in a lawn chair having a few beers and maybe smoking some ciggarettes.
  • Neighbour said they had a little bit more interaction with the wife than they did with him.
Note: I think we can assume LE sat around for hours and made sure nothing was interferred with whilst they gained a warrant for the house and car. So the search itself did not go for 12 hours.

Edit: Spelling.
I bet it was awkward when Rick and his wife were sitting in that car. I'm sure she read the search warrant which would have explained the reason for the search, right?

I bet it was awkward when Rick and his wife were sitting in that car. I'm sure she read the search warrant which would have explained the reason for the search, right?

The Fourth Amendment itself identifies the criteria for obtaining a lawful search warrant. A police officer, or other official seeking a warrant, must establish probable cause to the satisfaction of a judge, must make an “[o]ath or affirmation” as to the truth of the matters supporting probable cause, and must “particularly describ[e] the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” A search warrant is invalid if it covers too broad an area or does not identify specific items or persons.

Thank you I don’t have tv so this is new to me!

Re Metal detection, I wonder:
- a thumb drive—does anyone know if this would decay in soil?
- real old school film in a canister—I think this is prob too subject to the elements?
- jewelry (eg ring) taken as trophy?
- gun &/or knife?
I'm thinking it was a SIM card or thumb drive, but when reading your list I thought of a key. Whatever it was, it seems to have been small.

jmo

The Fourth Amendment itself identifies the criteria for obtaining a lawful search warrant. A police officer, or other official seeking a warrant, must establish probable cause to the satisfaction of a judge, must make an “[o]ath or affirmation” as to the truth of the matters supporting probable cause, and must “particularly describ[e] the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” A search warrant is invalid if it covers too broad an area or does not identify specific items or persons.
everything still being under seal right now could mean they are still looking for accomplices and that doesn't mean to the murders themselves specifically. It can be to covering up the murders. It could also be to protect a witness for as long as possible.

A flasher who lived in our neighborhood and who my dad once ran after “to kill” but didn’t catch…I met him several times, later, and each time, had the same self-doubt, “Are you sure it is the same?” “What if you are mistaken, he has nice parents?” Now I understand, had I told dad, this is the guy, my dad, the best defender of women ever, would have have smothered the dude without even doubting his seven-year-old daughter. And internally, I felt it and didn’t want my dad’s life to be over due to such a miserable creep, so my subconscious was actively suppressing the recognition. But this questions, “surely you are mistaken, it can’t be him?”, I remember as very intense and even irrational. It felt like looking at a binary star. And then we moved.

I am absolutely positive that even if RA’s wife could ask herself whether the man on the bridge was her husband of 20+ years, her subconscious actively suppressed the recognition process (and after all, neither of the sketches looked like him, and the voice, as I understand, was pretty generic). He was unpleasant and scary, so maybe fear played a role, too.

In short, don’t blame RA’s wife for what she probably had no power over.

Hmmmm... something small was (possibly) found in the fire pit area. a ring? a necklace? an SD card?

The other interesting thing is he was detained Wednesday.. I wonder if there were finger prints (on duct tape or bloody hands touches on the girls, etc.)

IMO: It was something tangible, physical and undeniably that was found on or before Wednesday that linked RA to the crime scene.

I'm surprised he didn't move away if I'm honest once the video and audio came out, even just far enough that he didn't need to frequent Delphi often/at all. I can understand not initially as it might raise suspicion, but in the years since? Bizarre, even sociopaths tend to have the instinct of self-preservation.
people like this tend not to move away upon committing such offences particularly when they have strong social roots or have been part of the community for a long time, blending back into society is, in his mindset, the most unsuspicious reaction to have i feel, as it also allows him to closely monitor whats happening in the investigation maintaining a greater sense of control.

Delphi murder suspect Richard Allen: Indiana town wants answers about man who 'blended in'

Bob Matlock, who owned JC's Bar and Grill until he closed it late last year, can't fathom how the regular patron he knew ended up in this position.

Allen and his wife came in three to four times a week, laughed with the other regulars, partook in the occasional somber conversation about what happened to the teens and how awful it must be for their families. Their families, too, were patrons of the bar, Matlock said.

The two suspect drawings released over the years hung on the bulletin board in the bar. There's a picture floating around Facebook of Allen standing near the drawings, Matlock said. No one ever thought there was a connection. Matlock is still skeptical.

"They were a good family couple," Matlock said of Allen and his wife. "That's what I guess was the biggest shock."

Where is this info from?

I had the same question. I found discussion elsewhere indicating that there was a black SUV with decals in the lot at dropoff, but KG herself had indicated the owner/driver was identified. It'd be interesting if there ends up being a direct connection there, as in identified very early on but not elevated to suspect for quite some time.

MOO and obviously a total guess...…I am thinking average IQ but incredibly knowledgeable about one subject (be it science, history, or whatever). He would discuss this subject with someone to appear more intelligent than he is. I believe it was the bar owner who said he usually didn't speak a whole lot but I imagine he could be quick witted at times and almost charming. I believe the same bar owner said that he and his wife would play in pool tournaments. So perhaps not good at a lot of things but excelled in pool. He used these to hide his feeling of inadequacy. So anytime he had the chance to feel more powerful he took it.
Just random 4 am thoughts lol
That's exactly what I think too. Average intelligence, but with specialized interests with which he spends his time and attention, with intensity. Average intelligence but "intense." With work, he seems like he had a good worth ethic but perhaps without much ambition - his interests were not professional but personal, imo. He seems grounded enough to be able to pay off a mortgage and have a nice, attractive, and outwardly tidy home. I'm curious about his relationship with alcohol.

Armchair analysis, worth what you paid for it. JMO.

Hmmmm... something small was (possibly) found in the fire pit area. a ring? a necklace? an SD card?

The other interesting thing is he was detained Wednesday.. I wonder if there were finger prints (on duct tape or bloody hands touches on the girls, etc.)

IMO: It was something tangible, physical and undeniably that was found on or before Wednesday that linked RA to the crime scene.
it would seem that whatever has been recovered is pretty damming. has it been mentioned at all whether duct tape has been used in this case?

From the article:
However, the Carroll County Jail record lists Mr Allen as also going by the alias of Craigh Ross Rentfrow.
I wonder how significant this may prove to be?

BBM
That is quite the alias. As a retired banker, what I mean is, alias' are usually variations of a person's real name to include variations of maiden and previous married names for women. The few times I ran across a completely different unrelated alias it was usually hiding crimes or previous sketchy financial dealings. There were a lot of people who had no idea of their spouses hidden life. This made for some interesting discussions between them as they were sitting at my desk being turned down for a loan or mortgage.

I'm very curious to find what this alias is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1