Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #162

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I roll my eyes when I hear defense attorney's first statements.... The bottom line is 95% of subjects being arrested either take a plea deal or are found guilty by a judge or jury. In general, the police arrest the right person the vast majority of the time.
I'm sure it varies across crimes. I personally know 3 people who were coerced into pleading guilty, when in fact they were innocent. I'd stake my life on it. None of the 3 were charged with murder, but serious felonies. None could afford a decent defense attorney. Very sad situations.

I roll my eyes when I hear defense attorney's first statements.... The bottom line is 95% of subjects being arrested either take a plea deal or are found guilty by a judge or jury. In general, the police arrest the right person the vast majority of the time.
I think that number decreases significantly when there is no DNA. We'll have to wait and see if they have it in this case. MOO

I agree that you should not come to conclusions based on a profile. In hindsight, much of what profiler John Douglas said was wrong.

I was surprised by this case. I thought the killer would probably be someone who has done this before too.
Sometimes you just can't explain a killer or a motive.

GH reposted that video after the PCA came out because the PCA added merit to the caller's statements, IMO. I think the caller's statement is of value, but that's JMO. Maybe LE has already identified the owner of the older model car parked along the road, and found it insignificant. IDK.
I agree this caller's statement is of merit, tho IDK of it's significance either. His "down-to-Earth" report of work-timing could be filling-in a picture of what was there, and not.
Some fuzzy contradictions about other sightings might be dismissed. (Does anyone recall how many saw a PT Cruiser? Did those reports prompt K. Kline to say he was in a red truck in the trees that day and then admit this was a lie?) Unsure...

If memory serves, other considerations from past:
- Investigators indicated excessive blood and bodies moved and "arranged" after death.
- Investigators believe victim's clothes missing/taken as trophies
- Victims were (also) victims of catfishing; one catfishing suspect investigated and excluded as murder suspect
- Victims using snapchat as I recall - at time when the kids knew about snapchat w/o their parents knowing...

And, most recently, didn't neighbor of RA disclose details of RA's house search, investigators removal of house contents in boxes, and digging up a few parts of the yard (cat?) So ... more physical evidence than the bullet? Also LE recently indicated RA may not have acted alone and they continue to accept leads? (me thinking: that suggests cyber evidence?)

Looking forward to the charging docs evidence to be unsealed ... guessing LE has been able to supplement the critical bullet evidence with other critical forensic evidence find(s). It's a bit frustrating to have to wait ...

RA's been just livin' life this whole time ... I wonder:
- How long was RA on LE Radar?
- What breakthrough in evidence or investigation clue led to the RA search warrant?
- Or did RA slip up somehow?

The caller was pretty adamant about the location of the vehicle he saw parked along the road. It was an older model, he said. LE told him about the car in the CPS lot, and we can believe him because in 2021, when the call was made, his narrative on how LE described the CPS lot car was very similar to what we read a year later in the RA PCA. But again, this is NOT the car the caller saw and describes. He claims to not have seen the car in the CPS lot, but we don't know exactly where this caller was and if he could clearly see the CPS lot from his position that day.

GH reposted that video after the PCA came out because the PCA added merit to the caller's statements, IMO. I think the caller's statement is of value, but that's JMO. Maybe LE has already identified the owner of the older model car parked along the road, and found it insignificant. IDK. But it wasn't mentioned in the PCA, and the witnesses who saw the car in the CPS lot likely would have seen that vehicle parked along the road, as well, yet we don't hear about that, either. Is that because it wasn't important to the PCA, or was it not something LE wanted out there? Does it play a role in why NMcL wanted the PCA to remain sealed? Because the driver of that car would know the same witnesses who saw the CPS lot car would have seen his older model parked along the road?

This is one of those details that I keep tucked away in the back of my mind because I think the information will be of importance and resurface at a later date .
Regarding what I bolded: Just after the 3 mm in the video, GH talks about the camera on the building right across the road from the CPS building and the caller said that's where he was working. Screen cap from the video; HH is off to the right around the curve. Is that building part of the grain mill?
I wonder why GH made that vehicle purple?

Anothervehicle.jpg

Sometimes you just can't explain a killer or a motive.
True. While you can come up with information and patterns from looking at similar cases, you should always remember each case is different.

But do you think most people really think that way? Or do they come to a conclusion about what they think already?

In this particular case, almost from day one, people thought the killer must be someone who is local to Delphi. It must be someone who knows the Monon High Bridge area. And two years later on, it must be someone who looks like the second sketch from the second press conference.

One thing we do know is that people's first murders are often not very well planned or executed - which is why most people get caught. Frequently they are impulsive and opportunistic, with signs of overkill.
As of 2022 the murder solve rate was only 50%, so most people don't get caught. I would probably agree that most people who commit murder don't put a lot of time and effort into planning it.

One thing we do know is that people's first murders are often not very well planned or executed - which is why most people get caught. Frequently they are impulsive and opportunistic, with signs of overkill.
As of 2022 the murder solve rate was only 50%, so most people don't get caught. I would probably agree that most people who commit murder don't put a lot of time and effort into planning it.

Woah! How do you know that he's not current on his profiling techniques? And calling him a dinosaur? He's earned some respect, far more than that.

Douglas is a profiler, a behavioral profiler. Lots of people can look things up in a database, cross-reference, and build out family trees.

I disagree with you that "people spend a lot of time fantasizing about horrible things." Some people, a small percentage of the population, may ruminate on terrible fantasies like that. Yet still, they rarely jump to murder from the get, and a double-murder, via a knife, at that.

Your opinion is equally valid as anyone else's. Maybe just try not to trash the father of behavioral profiling when you don't agree with his comments? I think he's earned that much respect.
John, is that you? . FYI, I work in a field with a lot of dinosaurs. There's just a point in some careers where people stop keeping up with the latest information. I actually listen to a lot of what he has to say and have read all of his books, so I'm not basing this on internet whimsey.

1% of the US adult population is almost 3 million people. So even if a small percentage are thinking about dark things, that's a lot of people. 1% of the 1% would be almost 30,000 people, which is a lot of people. Just because murders like this are rare, doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of thousands of people fantasizing about it at any given time.

Woah! How do you know that he's not current on his profiling techniques? And calling him a dinosaur? He's earned some respect, far more than that.

Douglas is a profiler, a behavioral profiler. Lots of people can look things up in a database, cross-reference, and build out family trees.

I disagree with you that "people spend a lot of time fantasizing about horrible things." Some people, a small percentage of the population, may ruminate on terrible fantasies like that. Yet still, they rarely jump to murder from the get, and a double-murder, via a knife, at that.

Your opinion is equally valid as anyone else's. Maybe just try not to trash the father of behavioral profiling when you don't agree with his comments? I think he's earned that much respect.
John, is that you? . FYI, I work in a field with a lot of dinosaurs. You can respect someone and also know that they aren't up to date. There's just a point in some careers where people stop keeping up with the latest information. I actually listen to a lot of what he has to say and have read all of his books, so I'm not basing this on internet whimsey.

1% of the US adult population is almost 3 million people. So even if a small percentage are thinking about dark things, that's a lot of people. 1% of the 1% would be almost 30,000 people, which is a lot of people. Just because murders like this are rare, doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of thousands of people fantasizing about it at any given time.

Makes me wonder, something I've thought about since early on in the case.

There has to be a fair amount of premeditation with murders involving folks who don't know each other, in this case RA grew up not far from Delphi, the MHB, etc. So he knew the general area before moving to Delphi, and since then the MHB and the trail leading to it have gotten a lot of attention in local and regional news media.

I've wondered since early on about BG, how many times he'd visited MHB. I'd say RA has been to it many times over many years. Makes me wonder how many times he was there observing people, taking mental notes, timing his walks, etc.
I wonder this too. I would bet he spent a lot of time watching people.

Interesting - i hadn't followed the collapse in solve rates

I guess US also includes a hell of a lot of 'professional' murders compared to other countries (drugs etc)?

I wouldn't expect those crimes to be resourced compared to high profile cases like this one.

True. While you can come up with information and patterns from looking at similar cases, you should always remember each case is different.

But do you think most people really think that way? Or do they come to a conclusion about what they think already?

In this particular case, almost from day one, people thought the killer must be someone who is local to Delphi. It must be someone who knows the Monon High Bridge area. And two years later on, it must be someone who looks like the second sketch from the second press conference.
Thanks for the question. I believe most people (myself included) want to know why. It's human nature, especially in a murder so heinous. How could this happen?

In my mind RA is bridge guy no doubt. I think he went there solely that day with the intentions to kill those girls and by a stroke of our misfortune, was overlooked as a suspect early on.

I believe he was quite pleased with himself as time wore on and wasn't arrested. Enough that I think he may have gone on to eventually commit another murder in the future.

JMO

John, is that you? . FYI, I work in a field with a lot of dinosaurs. You can respect someone and also know that they aren't up to date. There's just a point in some careers where people stop keeping up with the latest information. I actually listen to a lot of what he has to say and have read all of his books, so I'm not basing this on internet whimsey.
Some of his ideas may be outdated. For instance, there used to be an idea that if a victim's bodied was hidden or buried, it meant that the perpetrator knew the victim.

However, that was before the use of DNA to solve crimes came along. Now a perpetrator may hide or bury a body so that the perpetrator's DNA can't be found on the victim, not because the perpetrator necessarily knew the victim.

I don't know whether someone Douglas's age would think about that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine