Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #101

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not say arrest for murder. I said arrest for suspicion.

That's not a possibility in the US. They can only hold you for a short period of time, usually something in the range of 72 hours, depending on weekends and availability of a judge, before they either charge you or release you. You're guaranteed a speedy trial, so if they charge you, they only have a certain amount of time to bring you to trial. So most of the time for a major crime like this, police won't make an arrest until the prosecutor (city attorney, district attorney, etc.) thinks they have enough evidence to win at trial.

They'll sometimes arrest a person on other charges, like probation violation or a drug charge, so they can hold them on that charge while the investigation continues, but that's not always an option.

@zencompass, do you know who founded Delphi? I tried to find out. Statistically, Germans or Anglo-Saxons are the highest possibility, however, nearby Lafayette was originally ethnically French. Could the founders of Delphi be Northern French, or Flemish, or Dutch?

What I mean, redheads or certain looks might be more prevalent in their descendants. We think the perp looks unusual, and surely it would be, for my part of the US, where I believe there was more mixture with Native Americans, but maybe, not so much for Delphi?

My guess is yes to all of the above. There seems to be a lot of reddish brown haired residents in and near Delphi!

Delphi Double Homicide Investigation Tip Information

isp-header-image3_original.png

LAFAYETTE DISTRICT
5921 State Road 43
West Lafayette, IN 47906

www.in.gov/isp

FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt

Sgt. Kim Riley
Public Information Officer

May 13, 2019

Delphi Double Homicide Investigation Tip Information
Delphi-Since the news briefing on April 22, 2019, the Multi-Agency Task Force has received over 2,600 emails, 506 calls to the tip line and an additional 145 calls and or walk-ins to local police departments and state police posts around the state. The total amount since the inception of the email and tip line is over 42,000.

Please remember that we are looking for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who committed this crime. Please refrain from sending investigative information. Tips on possible suspects or information that can lead to the closure of the case is what we are looking for.

• Be specific as possible to a description
  • Name and age if possible
  • A connection to Delphi and that person’s location or address at this time
  • Leaving information on how we can contact you for possible clarification of your tip is helpful but not required
  • Tips can remain anonymous
If you have a tip, no matter how insignificant you feel it might be, contact us by email at abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com or phone at 844-459-5786.

RILEY

ETA: I also added this to the Media thread

Does this mean crazy people have been calling in telling Investigators how to investigate?

I’m gonna solve me this here murder

Lot of moronic people out there I guess.....

Does this mean crazy people have been calling in telling Investigators how to investigate?

LOL Seriously! It’s pretty bad when they have to constantly put these out:/
I do think SM has allowed more crazies the opportunity to show themselveso_O
MOO

Yes, it seems it so. It’s possible the bad leads were a result of knowing someone who does bad things, and being compelled to call the tip line, not necessarily a revenge tip, though.

I agree the local tips might be pushed a little further up the line of possibility, as many have mentioned before.

Since BG might be a loner, it may be one tip that makes a difference. One tip. The reason I say that is someone known by many to have a hinkling of suspicion might have been called in multiple times by different people and nothing is coming from it. Don’t know and pure speculation and amateur opinion.

It has to be hard to sort out the bad tips from the good ones, but a good profile would help.

My understanding is there was more than one profile developed by the FBI profiling unit, based on the unknown but *possible* varying motives since the motive was such a hard factor to pin down (why the girls were targeted and killed). That’s been a while since I read that though.

Yes, it seems it so. It’s possible the bad leads were a result of knowing someone who does bad things, and being compelled to call the tip line, not necessarily a revenge tip, though.

I agree the local tips might be pushed a little further up the line of possibility, as many have mentioned before.

Since BG might be a loner, it may be one tip that makes a difference. One tip. The reason I say that is someone known by many to have a hinkling of suspicion might have been called in multiple times by different people and nothing is coming from it. Don’t know and pure speculation and amateur opinion.

It has to be hard to sort out the bad tips from the good ones, but a good profile would help.

My understanding is there was more than one profile developed by the FBI profiling unit, based on the unknown but *possible* varying motives since the motive was such a hard factor to pin down (why the girls were targeted and killed). That’s been a while since I read that though.

Unfortunately I think many of them have been random photo matches, and have you thought of checking teachers, pastors, local servellance cameras etc.

Random trash tips with negative value

I think the motive is likely known to police, and likely to be sexual assault, but jmo. Still, profiles are so broad and basic, imo, not sure it would help. Everyone expects a sex murderer, i.e. to be a weirdo loner who everyone steers clear of when they can be anybody. We have seen fathers of large families who killed large numbers of women, as well as “normal” looking guys like Ted Bundy. So profiles to me are generally worthless.

Yes. People calling in and telling LE how to do their jobs and people with zero ties to the area, girls, or crime calling in tips because of the "investigation" they've done online. I don't know if the large reward amount has encouraged more than usual to go through or what, but many seem convinced that they have "solved" the case, despite the fact that most seem to have never met the people they're accusing and only have the online information about that person available to them. I keep hoping that someone who's actually in BG's life and has real information (as in evidence and not a theory) will make that call.

I think the motive is likely known to police, and likely to be sexual assault, but jmo. Still, profiles are so broad and basic, imo, not sure it would help. Everyone expects a sex murderer, i.e. to be a weirdo loner who everyone steers clear of when they can be anybody. We have seen fathers of large families who killed large numbers of women, as well as “normal” looking guys like Ted Bundy. So profiles to me are generally worthless.
They’re not always accurate, and they don’t always help, but they do have tremendous value.

It’s about narrowing the focus of law enforcement, and not honing in on a particular individual.

Past cases provide clarity on recent ones.

Unfortunately I think many of them have been random photo matches, and have you thought of checking teachers, pastors, local servellance cameras etc.

Random trash tips with negative value
Probably. 42k tips does show that the public is not apathetic towards this case and is engaged (granted not always in the most constructive ways). It would be bad if they only got 5 tips in two years.

I think the original profilers were onto some important work. I think over the years, it’s been derailed somewhat when the profile turned out wrong, thinking specifically about serial killers tending to hunt those who look like them (thinking Derrick Todd Lee).

Lee’s case is the first I can recall where DNA profiling was used though.

I agree and since BG hasn’t been identified from the 2 second video released by LE, I don’t think it’s going to be the nail in the coffin for him.
jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member