Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know that much about DNA tests. Hans from the Netherlands matched my first cousin on My Heritage. Because my own father had been overseas during WW2, I took the My Heritage and was NOT a match. Then he did Ancestry and found some matches. So I tracked them down and found his half sister. These companies do not share information.

So when they find DNA at a crime scene..who does the testing? How do they find family matches? Are they only in the company you paid to do it or do they have access? Too bad there wasn’t just one company that had all the information.

BBM

That’s where GED Match comes in - it’s an opt in site where you can upload your raw DNA files. You obtain your file/report from the testing company of your choice. Joining GED Match, you can easily find relatives who tested with a different service than yours. Basically, you are comparing yourself against a much wider pool of populations, and can find your admixture- the best guess on where all your people were from.

Or maybe find if one happens to be a killer. Fingers crossed.

What if perp was adopted and that is not common knowledge? What if perp has an unknown father, like his mother said his real father was his dad but in fact the mother become pregnant by someone else and kept that fact a secret? I say this due to all the drug use in the area. Just a thought. Could also happen without drug use in the best of families as well. Praying for justice.

BBM

That’s where GED Match comes in - it’s an opt in site where you can upload your raw DNA files. You obtain your file/report from the testing company of your choice. Joining GED Match, you can easily find relatives who tested with a different service than yours. Basically, you are comparing yourself against a much wider pool of populations, and can find your admixture- the best guess on where all your people were from.

Or maybe find if one happens to be a killer. Fingers crossed.

BTW, they show if you "opted in", allowing LE to use your DNA for comparison, or not.

Here is what I did. Everyone who is "upstream" from me (my dad and his relatives, and my mom's relatives) consented to opt in, so they are "in". My kids are out. The same reason - insurance, organ harvesters, etc. My husband did not want to opt in. He is out.

It is too bad that we can not have a good tree, but we came from a country where lots of archives have been burned or destroyed. :(

Some people are more lucky. :)

So the ones who are afraid of insurance companies, may opt in only your parents/grandparents. Same with LE - they need to find a match to their criminals, likeBG, for this, upstreams will be more than enough.

I'll agree with ya on some of that (I think he is a loner and likes knives/guns/weapons and likely lives and works in seclusion as much as possible. ) but I dont think this was a spontaneous crime, an unplanned crime, or a rageful overreaction to being giggled at. I think he was there hunting for a victim that day. I believe he had weapons and tools of the trade (kill kit) under that overstuffed coat and he was on a mission to kill. Not a hit per se no. But a predator out hunting. I believe he is a serial killer. I have always felt this way since the very beginning.
I tend to think serial killer too sometimes when I dwell on him taking on two girls at once. If they'd been younger I could see it more but these were teenagers. I don't know, maybe Abby's slight stature made her a pushover in his eyes. God Bless those two angels.

I'll agree with ya on some of that (I think he is a loner and likes knives/guns/weapons and likely lives and works in seclusion as much as possible. ) but I dont think this was a spontaneous crime, an unplanned crime, or a rageful overreaction to being giggled at. I think he was there hunting for a victim that day. I believe he had weapons and tools of the trade (kill kit) under that overstuffed coat and he was on a mission to kill. Not a hit per se no. But a predator out hunting. I believe he is a serial killer. I have always felt this way since the very beginning.

Sorry I could not find the original post.

Here is what i feel when I look at the video.

First, the guy is a loner. He probably plays computer games and spends a lot of time on computer.

Does he live in a farm? I don't know, in my mind, he does, with a grandma, but it is just the feeling.

He was always a loner, and he has intense imaginary world. Probably marched with a sword or a gun when he was young. Maybe re-enacted WWII scenes?

He self-dialogues. Not a symptom of schizophrenia, rather, autism, or severe OCD. It seems to me that when he is walking on that bridge, he is self-dialoguing, or muttering something under his breath. Talking to himself.

I think he is not very rich, but he could borrow the clothes from someone else.

I think it is his first murder, unless he did it professionally, but he was daydreaming about it for a long time, and one day, his obsessive thoughts spilled over into the reality.

Strangely, he looks almost like in a fog. Dissociations? Seizures?

I don't know about hunting, I would not be surprised if he were in the army and has some experience with killing, or was trained to do it. I haven't met many hunters in the woods, so I can't tell.

He probably has poor eye contact, or this is the feeling I get.

He probably would do fine on IQ testing, but did poorly at school. Maybe he was bullied. Possibly, took anger on animals.

I don't know if he collects journals or not, but he is obsessed with unresolved murders and hopes his will be the one, too.

No, or very little, experience with women, and it did not work well for him.

Now this is what I feel when I look at BG video. Logically, the perp is different from what I feel, but there is the dichotomy of the feeling and the logical explanation. Logically, there should be more people around him, but I feel loneliness.

I also have the feeling that "down the hill" is said in anger. That there is a lot of pent-up anger.

He might frequently feel suicidal as well, and has horrible, horrible self-esteem. The way he holds his head...it is as if he feels the worst person in the world, the loser. It is down. Was he abused, or did the teasing cause it?

What made him kill, I don't know. He probably has mixed feelings about it. He enjoyed the killing, and it was the release for his anger, but he does not like what it did to others.

I don't know about religious part. I don't think religion plays as big a role in our lives as people say. Out of atheists, 3/4 have the feeling of "some transcendence"; out of religious people, 3/4 had the feeling of "god's presence", 1/4 never felt it although they go to church. In short, 1/4 of mankind is deconversion material, 3/4 can convert. But since he probably has manic phases, I'd assume that at least occasionally, he is religious, or feels "something".

Do you think they will have done this? Maybe that could be how they know about reddish brown hair? That isn't Mediterranean though but more Northern Europe right?

Where did reddish-brown hair come from? The witnesses? He might have colored his hair. Or did the LE get the hair shaft? I won't rely on the hair color.
Well, once we had a frequent guest from Northern Italy. A blonde with blue eyes. Looked German or Scandinavian. Generations and generations of Italian gentry in the genome.

I think we have had very few killers tracked down by the DNA, so far. But, it is the beginning.

This is good enough for forensic DNA. DNA Evidence: How It’s Done

For family matches, they need to translate the DNA (code) they have to the format that Gedmatch accepts, and then, download it into GEDMATCH. Formatting was a problem for the first (GSK) case, but not anymore. Then they load this kit (code, not material) into Gedmatch under a certain name and run it through, probably using "one-to-many" program, to find matches - relatives. The closer, the better. Then the genealogists build the tree upward for the match, to find a common ancestor (for me and my first cousins, it would be our grandparents, for example. For me and for my uncle once removed, it would be his grandparents and my great-grandparents...etc, for me and my second cousins, it would be our great-grandparents...you also need to know the line, so the closer the match, the better, as it is easier to sort things out). Usually depending on the percentage of the match, one can approximately tell the degree of the connection/separation.

AncestrySupport

When they come to the projected common ancestor, they start building a full tree for him, downwards. His kids, his grandkids, etc. And then try to sort out who of his descendants would fit - who lived in the area of the crime, was of the appropriate age, etc. I think for GSK, they found about three possible perps, and then collected DNA (from thrash bins) for all of them. One matched...

Now, I am not a genealogist, and I am straddled by my own tree (lack of information about one line, period). So I am far from the regular genealogy work, things might be more complicated. But this is how I understand it.

I wonder what happens if there is only a mitochondrial match. Meaning, that it is direct maternal line, as mitochondria get transmitted via the egg, so, from mother's side. It could rule out the suspects, if there is no match, and if the haplotype of the mitochondria DNA is rare, it probably would be very suspicious, if you get a match. But it is still complicated. As I have mentioned, my dad's mitotype is met in 1:20000 cases, if even that oftne. So the presence of a hair shaft of such a type at the crime scene would cast suspicion on him, his mother, his maternal grandmother, his sister, his sister's daughter, or her children. But not me, as I got my mitochondria from my mom. But if the mitotype is very common (like, pure H, without private mutations), chances are, many people might have it.
I for one find all this fascinating Charlot. It shows just how complicated it can be, how tedious, to track down to a singular person who has never been arrested since the DNA collection laws have come into play. I thank you for explaining it so thoroughly. It all intrigues me as I do believe Delphi killer left some of his DNA at the scene. I hope it can be narrowed down to a suspect that then can then bring to justice.

Does anyone think the killer or someone(GF/BF or parent) close to the killer could have visited this site? I know of it happening in a different case on a different site.
Well if he could possibly have shown up at a press conference as ISP Carter has led up to surmise, he could definitely look on different social media to see what's being said about him.

Something that I can not wrap my mind around is why have LE never told the public to watch out for danger ? It just seems so odd that they don't ever say this crazed animal is out there and could strike again.

Something that I can not wrap my mind around is why have LE never told the public to watch out for danger ? It just seems so odd that they don't ever say this crazed animal is out there and could strike again.
Yes, that is odd, ESPECIALLY after the April 22nd PC, seeing they now believe he either lives in Delphi, visits Delphi or works in Delphi. The only explanation I can come up with is that initially they took the position that this was most likely a random killing by an out-of-state killer so reoffending in the area was unlikely? HOWEVER, now that they believe the killer is local, "may be in this very room" local, I can only conclude that this was not a random attack, it was targeted, and they suspect why, and therefore do not feel everyday citizens of Delphi need to fear for their children, UNLESS, they are involved in the seedy underworld of methamphetamine and other illegal goings on. As always, JMO
ed:sp

Last edited:
Yes...this has always bothered me, especially living close to the area. Do we have a freakin serial killer amongst or what?

It has been over 2 1/2 years since this crime happened. NASA and Disney have not been able to enhance the video/audio recording on Liberty German's phone. 2 different sketches have been released of what I assume are different people that law enforcement would like to talk to. The sketches are based on eyewitness statements from witnesses who saw these people in the Monon High Bridge area that day. Neither of the sketches has worked out so far in identifying the mysterious bridge guy. Even if the people in the sketches are found, they may just be people that were out on the Monon High Bridge trail that day.

After all this time, what would you do if you were an investigator in the Delphi double murder of Abigail Williams and Liberty German? After 2 1/2 years, how would you solve the case?

It would kind of be stating the obvious until he is in an iron bar cage where he belongs of course there is a danger. They clearly don’t want to make the community more afraid than it already is or cause more panic and anxiety than necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper