Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #124

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scene of the Crime: Delphi - New Direction

The podcast first talks a bit about connections to the murders of Lyric Cook (10) and Elizabeth Collins (8) on July 13th of 2012 in Evansdale, IA. The girls were last seen riding their bikes near Myers Lake between 12:30 and 1:00 pm. Around 4pm, a firefighter discovered their bicycles and Elizabeth's purse near the lake.

December 5, 2012
The bodies of Lyric and Elizabeth were discovered by hunters in a wildlife park 20 miles away. The park is mostly used by hunters, ATV riders, and residents dumping old furniture and appliances. The bodies were found 20 yards apart and were partly obscured by brush. The bodies were badly decomposed, but the ME was able to determine the COD. That information has never been made public, and the presence of DNA (or lack thereof) in the case is unknown.

Three witnesses told LE they'd seen an older white SUV that was large and boxy (possibly a Chevy Suburban or Ford Bronco) parked on a road that meets up with the trail where the girl's bikes were located between 11:30 and 12:30 pm on July 13, 2012.

August 21, 2014
An FBI profile was released that said the following about the suspect:
- he/she is familiar with Myers Lake and the Seven Bridges wildlife area
- he/she is unlikely to be a transient
- he/she likely used quiet coercion or a ruse to abduct the girls rather than threats of violence
- he/she has likely altered their appearance since the abductions
- he/she likely cleaned, painted, or modified their vehicle after the abductions

Delphi & Evansdale Similarities
- unsolved
- dual abduction
- abduction occured midday
- abducted in a small town in the Midwest
- occurred on a weekday near the weekend (Delphi: Monday; Evansdale: Friday)
- last ween on the 13th day of the month
- bodies found in remote and wooded areas
- last seen on a walking trail
- pork processing plants are nearby

The primary difference between the Delphi & Evansdale cases is the disposal of the bodies. The girls were left where they were killed in Delphi; the girls were transported 30 miles away and hidden behind brush in the Evansdale case.

Dr. Katherine M. Brown (regarding dual abductions):
"I've only seen a couple in my entire career because child abduction murders, in and of themselves, are incredibly rare -- which is fortunate -- but the abduction of two children at one time is even, even rarer. If you're examining the rarity from an offender perspective, it really does increase their risk to abduct two children at one time."

Drew Collins (investigator in the Evansdale, IA case):
"They both happened on the 13th, they're both in like secluded areas on trails. I don't know, it just seemed too familiar. And, uh, so I actually reached out to Mike, and um, talked to them a little bit when it first happened. And, uh, but just nothing ever came of it."

LE in Delphi believe the similarities are coincidental and believe the two cases are unrelated.

February 13, 2019
A joint press conference is held at the Carroll County Courthouse with the ISP, Carroll County Sheriff's Office, the FBI, and Delphi PD.

Sgt. Kim Riley introduced Carroll County prosecutor Nick McClellan.
McClellan announced that 38,000 tips had been received and said a dozen or more were received on any given day. He asked the public to refrain from posting side-by-side images of people they speculate are involved, and encouraged others to report their tips. He said "they could have the missing piece of the puzzle". He reminded the public about the $240,000 reward and spoke about the type of information LE considers ideal.

Doug Carter addresses the killer directly:
"If you're watching, we're coming. If you're watching, we are coming."

Six days later, LE announced a press conference would be held on Monday, February 22nd at the Wabash Erie Canal Conference and Interpretive Center in Delphi at noon. The PC would be open to the public with limited seating.

February 22, 2019 Press Conference
Superintendent Doug Carter: "Information being released today is the result of literally thousands and thousands of hours of extraordinary investigative efforts by Delphi, Carroll County, the Indiana State Police, and countless other agencies.

After you hear what we're going to release today, I'm going to ask for your continued support, your continued understanding, your continued empathy and compassion, um, as we move forward to find out who did this. And, we will.

We're seeking the public's help to identify the driver of a vehicle that was parked at the old CPS/DCS welfare building in the city of Delphi, that was abandoned on the east side of Delphi County Road 300, northwest to the Hoosier Heartland Highway, between the hours of noon to five on February 14, 2017. If you were parked there or know who was parked there, please contact the officers at the command post at the Delphi City Building."

The physical address of the old CPS/DCS building is 6931 West 300 North. The podcast clarifies that LE has reason to believe a car was parked there on the 13th -- not the 14th as Carter misstated. The podcast points out that this information is likely due to new information because LE had previously said (on February 2018) that they had no reason to believe the suspect was parked in a vehicle nearby because they had no information on a vehicle.

May 7, 2019
Sgt. Kim Riley clarified that LE had determined the suspect likely had a vehicle after reviewing many tips. It was also clarified that the vehicle was not parked in the empty lot at the building but parked along the roadside (which may be why it attracted the attention of a witness, if it did so).

Doug Carter (con't from the February 22nd press conference):
"We're releasing additional portions of the audio recording from that day. Please keep in mind, the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is not two different people speaking. Please listen to it very, very carefully."

[Audio: "Guys... down the hill."]

"We're also releasing video recovered from Libby's phone. This video has never before been previously released. The video shows the suspect walking on the bridge. When you see the video, watch the person's mannerisms as they walk. Watch the mannerisms as he walks. Do you recognize the mannerisms as being someone you might know? Remember, he is walking on the former railroad bridge. Because of the deteriorated condition of the bridge, the suspect is not walking naturally due to the spacing between the ties."

During the course of this investigation, we have concluded the first sketch released will become secondary. As of today, the result of new information and intelligence over time leads us to believe that the sketch -- which you will see shortly -- is the person responsible for the murders of these two little girls. We also believe this person is from Delphi, currently or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis, or works here. We believe this person is currently between the age range of 18-40 but might appear younger than his true age."

The newly released sketch depicts:
a younger man with a pointed chin, small eyes, thin lips, and bushy or even moderately curly, short hair

LE later clarified that the new sketch -- who is the man on the bridge -- is not the same person as the initial sketch. The person in the first sketch might not even exist as depicted. It might be a fabrication based on several combined and fading memories.

The new sketch is the result of a drawing session with a witness on February 17, 2017 and was drawn by ISP Master Trooper, Taylor Bryant. He uses a facial identification reference sheet that has a list of different categories from head shapes to different eyebrows and noses. The witness attempts to describe the suspect based on the categories.

April 24, 2019
Multi-agency Task Force Clarifies Points about Delphi Murder Suspect Sketches

"Authorities originally believed the initial sketch depicting an older man was the person of interest in the case. Only after the investigation matured and past information has been reassessed did the task force come to believe that the person in the new sketch is the killer."

The two sketches are not the same person; the new sketch is of someone completely different than the one in the initial sketch. The man in the old sketch is not currently a POI in the Delphi murders, and in effect, should be ignored.

The statement advised that the suspect may have changed his appearance and now look difference. LE confirmed that a number of sketches were in the case file that were created in the days after the murders.

Doug Carter (speaking with Kelsi for the podcast):
"Remember, a sketch is just a visual. It's not a photo. It's a visual of what somebody might've seen, so that's all I'll say about the sketch."

In response to Kelsi asking why the two sketches look so different:
"I can't talk a lot about that in detail, but I'll simply say the investigation has evolved and there are things we know that we can't explain. I know there was a lot of anxiety about that, and even some confusion and some blame and some criticism of us. Um, that criticism needs to come to me. Not to anybody else because I--I--I absolutely supported that change."

July 2019
The FBI altered the suspect's description on their website to 180-200 pounds
(20 pounds lighter than the original description)

"Directly to the killer -- who may be in this room -- we believe you're hiding in plain sight. For more than two years, you never thought we would shift gears to a different investigative strategy but we have. We likely have interviewed you, or someone close to you, and we know that this is about power to you. And, you want to know what we know. And, one day you will."

"A question to you--what will those closest to you think of when they find out what you brutally murdered two little girls, two children? Only a coward would do such a thing. We are confident that you've told someone what you've done, or at the very least, they know because of how different you are since the murders."

"We try so hard to understand how a person can do something like this to two children. And, I recently watched a movie called The Shack -- and there's also a book that talks so well about evil, about death, and about eternity. To the murderer, I believe you have just a little bit of a conscience left, and I can assure you that how you left them in that woods is not--is not what they're experiencing today."

The podcast talks about how the press conference seemed designed to attract the killer, as it was announced three days in advance and was open to the public. However, child abduction expert Dr. Katherine M. Brown says that this tactic is not likely to succeed.

"I can tell you on behalf of the sheriff, and the police chief, and so many other partners that have stood with us over this period of time, that we will not stop."

April 22, 2019
PRESS RELEASE: "New Face of the Delphi Murder Suspect"
The release announced the new sketch and described it as more accurately depicting the face of the suspect from the video on Libby's phone.

The official release contradicted Carter in two minor ways--
1. The release describes the suspect as someone in their mid-20s to mid-30s; Carter described him between the ages of 18 and 40 but may appear younger
2. The release said they "We have a witness. You made mistakes. We are coming for you, and there's no place for a heartless coward like you to hid that gets his thrill from killing little girls." ; Carter never mentioned the mistakes or the witness

The caption displayed by the new sketch on the official press release:
"This is the face of the suspect that goes with the body on the video on Liberty German's phone minutes before she and Abigail Williams were murdered."

Carter (while speaking with Kelsi about the sketches):
"For people who look at that sketch, they think 'Oh my God, that person is twenty years younger than the initial one' and they view it as a photograph. That's not what a sketch is. So, while we believe that people are literally trying to help, this type of side-by-side comparison does not help."

The release of the new sketch generated 1,000 new tips within 24 hours and 2,000 within the first week.

A few weeks after the PC, Carter said he didn't know if the suspect was at the PC but 100% believes he was watching. He said information gathered over the previous 26 months indicates the suspect is watching LE's every move. He said the murderer got compliant because he didn't know LE would release the second sketch and felt comfortable that they had overlooked it. He said LE has likely spoken with the suspect already and said LE were onto something very early on.

cujenna88, thank you very much for your "scene of the crime" podcast posts and your accurate and thorough posts documenting important media reports and LE statements related to this case.

I don't know much about "dual abduction" crimes, and know even less about the Evansdale case, but because of your posts I will now begin to take a serious look.

I do want to focus however on a couple of comments made by Carter a few weeks after the April 2019 PC, which you included in your recent post (it is in the final paragraph) and which I find very interesting:

He (Carter) said: "information gathered over the past 26 months indicates the suspect is watching LE's every move." And,

He (Carter) also said: " the murderer got compliant (I think Carter may have meant to say "complacent") because he (the suspect) didn't know LE would release the second sketch and (he, the suspect) felt comfortable knowing that they had overlooked it." note: info in ( ) was added by me for clarification

My first question is: HOW, over the course of 26 months, do they know the suspect is watching their every move? Is it possible that a.) the suspect was/is communicating with LE by letter? or b.) that (if I'm right in thinking that the perp was perhaps a local Carroll, Dephi, or Camden LEO up until he left the force in late 2018), perhaps while in town at the sherrif's office or while at ISP headquarter he was a little too curious in wanting to know about progress being made in the investigation - asking a few too many questions..?

My second question is this: when Carter said he thinks the murderer got complacent and didn't think LE would release the second sketch, and that he (the murderer) may have felt comfortable knowing that LE had possibly overlooked it (the NBG sketch). Just how would the suspect have known that a second sketch even existed? And just how would the suspect have grown to feel comfortable thinking that perhaps LE had overlooked it (the NBG sketch)?

This was an inside job. Jmo

Last edited:

Respectfully snipped for focus and response.
I missed this. Where did this come from? That's huge. Delivery people zip through town....

Amateur opinion and speculation

Not to speak for @Awsi Dooger but this may be referring to statements made by Sgt Riley right after the April 2019 press conference when several points made by Carter had to be clarified (including the date the vehicle was parked near the CPS building). He was asked by reporters why LE was thinking BG is a local and Riley provided a quote that "we know he got around quickly" and seemed to know his way around town on the day of the murders.

cujenna88, thank you very much for your "scene of the crime" podcast posts and your accurate and thorough posts documenting important media reports and LE statements related to this case.

I don't know much about "dual abduction" crimes, and know even less about the Evansdale case, but because of your posts I will now begin to take a serious look.

I do want to focus however on a couple of comments made by Carter a few weeks after the April 2019 PC, which you included in your recent post (it is in the final paragraph) and which I find very interesting:

He (Carter) said: "information gathered over the past 26 months indicates the suspect is watching LE's every move." And,

He (Carter) said: " the murderer got compliant (I think Carter may have meant to say "complacent") because he (the suspect) didn't know LE would release the second sketch and (he, the suspect) felt comfortable knowing that they had overlooked it." note: info in ( ) was added by me for clarification

My first question is: HOW, over the course of 26 months, do they know the suspect is watching their every move? Is it possible that a.) the suspect was/is communicating with LE by letter? or b.) that if I'm right in thinking that the perp was perhaps a local Carroll, Dephi, or Camden LEO (up until he left the force in late 2018), perhaps while in town at the sherrif's office or while at ISP headquarter he was a little too curious wanting to know about progress being made in the investigation - asking a few too many questions..?

My second question is this: when Carter says he thinks the murderer got complacent and didn't think LE would release the second sketch, and he (the murderer) may have felt comfortable knowing that LE had overlooked it (the sketch).

Jusr how would the suspect have known that a second sketch even existed? And just how would the suspect have come to feel comfortable thinking that perhaps "LE had overlooked it (the NBG sketch)?

This is a serious question, not meant to be flippant. It's been obvious who you are referring to since your first post on this subject and your inclusion of "Camden." So here's my question. This person was already fired. Why not just arrest him? Why not publically name him as a POI to put the pressure on? Why would they try to protect him at this point?

This is a serious question, not meant to be flippant. It's been obvious who you are referring to since your first post on this subject and your inclusion of "Camden." So here's my question. This person was already fired. Why not just arrest him? Why not publically name him as a POI to put the pressure on? Why would they try to protect him at this point?

Yemeleyan I appreciate your response. I think a lot of your posts.

I think the answer to your question is that basically they have no evidence (none that they can make stick anyway), and they can't go around naming people POI's without some pretty strong basis - even if they want to put heat on someone they suspect.

If he was the one, he certainly wouldnt have had his phone with him that day. He might've used a vehicle from impound. Any DNA of his at the scene would have been explainable. He probably knew Delphi like the back of his hand.

No witness to the actual crime. No unexplainable DNA evidence found at the CS. No other evidence that ties him to the CS. And no confession. Sadly (and tragically) I'm afraid that this one may end up in the cold case file.

Last edited:
There was a direct line of sight from home to the crime scene. But only from one area at back left of the home. Bridge Guy can't avoid every risk. As others have mentioned he may have been fully aware of the home but didn't allow it to override the other variables working in his favor. The home is not on the same level as crime scene. It is much higher, atop a ridge overlooking the creek. The girls were stuck on private property in a remote ravine-like area at a location that cannot be seen from any point on the bridge.

Here is a photo that the late bitterbeatpoet posted on Reddit last November. It is the perspective from the Sanders home atop the ridge toward the crime scene area. This is the home Robert Ives was referring to. I believe I have posted this photo here previously. The bodies location would have been slightly further right than the photo catches, but perfectly visible if the camera had aimed there intentionally. The people within the creek are Anthony Greeno and crew. The homeowner was chastising them to get out of there. They own that property. BTW, Greeno's former girlfriend really unloaded on him in a new 2 hour YouTube video that is nothing but her rambling about what a louse he is.

Imgur

Thus is a photo I took from the other direction, depicting the various elevations of the creek bank and the ridge above the gravel road. Sanders home would be just out of view atop the ridge to the left:

Imgur

If I remember correctly, there was a figure in black leaning against the tree in bitterbeatpoet’s post? Someone local, he even explained who it was? The photo you linked doesn’t have it.

On your photo - obviously, the bank the girls were found on is on the right? It is not high. Then, if they went “down the hill”, one of them could have been killed on the L bank and moved in the water to the R one? Could explain some clothes in the water, often mentioned in the discussion. Also, “200 lbs” is often mentioned as the proof that the girls could not be carried over, but with the water high + Archimedes’ law, it could be much easier in the water. MOO.

Last edited:
There was a direct line of sight from home to the crime scene. But only from one area at back left of the home. Bridge Guy can't avoid every risk. As others have mentioned he may have been fully aware of the home but didn't allow it to override the other variables working in his favor. The home is not on the same level as crime scene. It is much higher, atop a ridge overlooking the creek. The girls were stuck on private property in a remote ravine-like area at a location that cannot be seen from any point on the bridge.

Here is a photo that the late bitterbeatpoet posted on Reddit last November. It is the perspective from the Sanders home atop the ridge toward the crime scene area. This is the home Robert Ives was referring to. I believe I have posted this photo here previously. The bodies location would have been slightly further right than the photo catches, but perfectly visible if the camera had aimed there intentionally. The people within the creek are Anthony Greeno and crew. The homeowner was chastising them to get out of there. They own that property. BTW, Greeno's former girlfriend really unloaded on him in a new 2 hour YouTube video that is nothing but her rambling about what a louse he is.

Imgur

Thus is a photo I took from the other direction, depicting the various elevations of the creek bank and the ridge above the gravel road. Sanders home would be just out of view atop the ridge to the left:

Imgur
Judging from the pictures, the house in question must have been at least 500 feet from the crime scene, so I doubt that the house even entered BG's consciousness.
Moreover, the foreground is obstructed by trees and undergrowth, so there doesn't appear to be what I would call a "clear line of sight."

He (Carter) also said: " the murderer got compliant (I think Carter may have meant to say "complacent") because he (the suspect) didn't know LE would release the second sketch and (he, the suspect) felt comfortable knowing that they had overlooked it." note: info in ( ) was added by me for clarification

My first question is: HOW, over the course of 26 months, do they know the suspect is watching their every move? Is it possible that a.) the suspect was/is communicating with LE by letter? or b.) that (if I'm right in thinking that the perp was perhaps a local Carroll, Dephi, or Camden LEO up until he left the force in late 2018), perhaps while in town at the sherrif's office or while at ISP headquarter he was a little too curious in wanting to know about progress being made in the investigation - asking a few too many questions..?

My second question is this: when Carter said he thinks the murderer got complacent and didn't think LE would release the second sketch, and that he (the murderer) may have felt comfortable knowing that LE had possibly overlooked it (the NBG sketch). Just how would the suspect have known that a second sketch even existed? And just how would the suspect have grown to feel comfortable thinking that perhaps LE had overlooked it (the NBG sketch)?

If DC said the suspect was watching LE’a every move...you don’t watch if you are a demoted LEO. Not that level. You watch from either the same level, or above. You know someone they report to. Or maybe, if you are a young man and your dad is privy to the investigation and blabbers at home.

He (Carter) said: " the murderer got compliant (I think Carter may have meant to say "complacent") because he (the suspect) didn't know LE would release the second sketch and (he, the suspect) felt comfortable knowing that they had overlooked it." note: info in ( ) was added by me for clarification

My first question is: HOW, over the course of 26 months, do they know the suspect is watching their every move? Is it possible that a.) the suspect was/is communicating with LE by letter? or b.) that (if I'm right in thinking that the perp was perhaps a local Carroll, Dephi, or Camden LEO - up until he left the force in late 2018), perhaps while in town at the sherrif's office or while at ISP headquarter he was a little too curious wanting to know about progress being made in the investigation - asking a few too many questions..?

My second question is this: when Carter said he thinks the murderer got complacent and didn't think LE would release the second sketch, and that he (the murderer) may have felt comfortable knowing that LE had possibly overlooked it (the NBG sketch).

Jusr how would the suspect have known that a second sketch even existed? And just how would the suspect have come to feel comfortable thinking that perhaps LE had overlooked it (the NBG sketch)?

These statements gave me pause as well. I believe BG must have taunted LE because the only way they could possibly know he’s following their moves is if he’s relayed as much to them.

If DC said the suspect was watching LE’a every move...you don’t watch if you are a demoted LEO. Not that level. You watch from either the same level, or above. You know someone they report to. Or maybe, if you are a young man and your dad is privy to the investigation and blabbers at home.

You're right. He could only have been watching LE's every move (from inside) for the first 6-7 months, as he resigned (I don't think he was ever demoted) in September '17. That was long enough to know that there were two sketches. The OBG sketch was released in July (also while he was active - and not demoted).

At the time he resigned though, he had been with Carroll County for over 10 years, and was in his mid forties, both of which might've made him a relatively senior level officer (and therefore) in the know, but that's just conjecture on my part.

IF BG has had a friend perhaps, who in February 2017 contacted LE on his (BG's) behalf and stayed updated very well, maybe the friend knew since July 2017, that there were 2 sketches and one of them only got used for the search. IF the friend knew, BG knew too.
Whether in 2019 it was a surprise to the friend and BG, that the sketch #2 suddenly was made public, I don't know. I believe, they perhaps didn't know, because LE had detected the "betraying" in early 2019. Might be, friend and BG sensed something ongoing in time and as a precaution didn't attend the PC.
All MOO of course.

Some great questions, here.

Could be there was "chatter" among some people about the 2017 sketch, or the perp himself has somehow communicated to LE or someone involved in the case (let your mind run wild with that one), information about the case only he would know. Cat-and-mouse type stuff.

I'm of the opinion the perp has watched "every move", I believe they very well could be right in these threads about the case, follow along in other forums, and watch YouTube carefully to see "what's new" on there.

To me, if fits the profile of that we already know from the case, as well as certain conclusions a lot of us have drawn, without actual evidence or revelations from LE.

There's a certain voyeuristic pleasure a lot of these killers take, in the aftermath of their unsolved crimes. I believe he takes great pleasure in the aftermath.

My question is will he try and pull off something even more sensational.

JMO

IF BG has had a friend perhaps, who in February 2017 contacted LE on his (BG's) behalf and stayed updated very well, maybe the friend knew since July 2017, that there were 2 sketches and one of them only got used for the search. IF the friend knew, BG knew too.
Whether in 2019 it was a surprise to the friend and BG, that the sketch #2 suddenly was made public, I don't know. I believe, they perhaps didn't know, because LE had detected the "betraying" in early 2019. Might be, friend and BG sensed something ongoing in time and as a precaution didn't attend the PC.
All MOO of course.

Good points.

Or someone BG knows has tipped off LE about him, and has noted on various occasions that BG asks a lot of questions about and has a lot of curiosity about the details of the case.

JMO

Not to speak for @Awsi Dooger but this may be referring to statements made by Sgt Riley right after the April 2019 press conference when several points made by Carter had to be clarified (including the date the vehicle was parked near the CPS building). He was asked by reporters why LE was thinking BG is a local and Riley provided a quote that "we know he got around quickly" and seemed to know his way around town on the day of the murders.

I would like to point out, though, that the killer did not have to go into Delphi that day for anything, and I'd imagine didn't do so, anyway.

Driving through there you'd never know there's a town just off the highway. Highway opened in 2014.

The highway would have afforded him easy access/egress in and out of the area in questions, without going into Delphi, without really being seen by many people or even any cameras.

JMO

These statements gave me pause as well. I believe BG must have taunted LE because the only way they could possibly know he’s following their moves is if he’s relayed as much to them.
If that is the case, IMO, it was a mistake to reference that publicly. It would have thrilled the Perp to no end, and enhanced his afterglow.

amateur opinion and speculation

Only a couple of weeks after the murder, the FBI released a list of behavioural clues, known to be common to perpetrators of other crimes prior to their arrest. One of them is that the perp follows the case closely so it’s impossible to know whether Carter “knows” this or if he was basing his comments on the known criminal profile.

BBM
FBI releases list of behavioral clues to help track down suspect in murders of teens near Indiana trail
  • Changes in their daily routines, including modified sleep patterns
  • Increased use of alcohol or drugs
  • Cleaned or disposed of clothing and / or shoes that might have been worn on Feb. 13
  • Missed work or other engagements
  • Anxiety, nervousness or irritability
  • Excessive attention to the investigation, media coverage or lengthy discussions related to the murders

It may not be that investigators are protecting him. Could it be this person can't definitively be placed at the MHB on the day of the murders? IF (big if), the perpetrator is indeed a member (or former member) of LE, it is very possible his DNA may be found at the crime scene. (It can be explained away).

While anything is possible, I would hope with the number of LEO's involved in the case they wouldn't all try to cover-up or protect "one of their own"?Especially the FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhokilledBettie?