Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #129

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelsie has talked several times about the moment the girls were found. She talks about the shoe, the deer, the phone being used to zoom, but has it ever been said, specifically, that the searcher was looking toward the north side of the creek?

I've tended to assume it was the north side if it's true there were deer nearby and/or a zoom was needed. JMO. I would also like to know who said they were in a culvert. Didn't Greeno have something like this in one of his videos?

Recently there was discussion about Kelsi stating the shoe was found on the road but I’m not certain of that source either. The downside of podcasts is we can’t provide a printed quote with a link.

LE has never released this information. It's come from blogs that have also stated how each of the girls were killed and from text messages which haven't been verified as being genuine.
What was said by reporter - Barbara MacDonald in the DTH podcast that the bodies were found in a “ravine filled with leaves”. Chapter 2

What was said by reporter - Barbara MacDonald in the DTH podcast that the bodies were found in a “ravine filled with leaves”. Chapter 2

In this video from a few days ago:

Reporter Barbara MacDonald of the DTH podcast says the area is a muddy ravine that floods a lot. Even where it looks flat, it is uneven. Even when the leaves were off the trees, there is a lot of low ground cover. She says "we know the girls were found near each other in a part of private land near the creek. We don't know how they were left. We know that it was obvious to LE immediately that they were victims of homicide."

I was thinking about the voice recording and it sounds like it is distorted maybe because it is in her pocket, and the "noise" in between "Guys" and "down the hill", that sounds like wind or maybe clothing brushing up against the phone. When I talk to a friend of mine, I always know when they are outside or doing something, like walking around the house, because I heard that "noise". And at times the voice is distorted, not garbled but it has a different sound to it, rather than the voice I know. It has the same quality as the voice for BG. I think you would have to really know the person to pick up on the voice, same as the walk or clothing.

In this video from a few days ago:

Reporter Barbara MacDonald of the DTH podcast says the area is a muddy ravine that floods a lot. Even where it looks flat, it is uneven. Even when the leaves were off the trees, there is a lot of low ground cover. She says "we know the girls were found near each other in a part of private land near the creek. We don't know how they were left. We know that it was obvious to LE immediately that they were victims of homicide."
Lol well she needs to make up her mind! There are so many conflicting statements from different people including LE.

I was thinking about the voice recording and it sounds like it is distorted maybe because it is in her pocket, and the "noise" in between "Guys" and "down the hill", that sounds like wind or maybe clothing brushing up against the phone. When I talk to a friend of mine, I always know when they are outside or doing something, like walking around the house, because I heard that "noise". And at times the voice is distorted, not garbled but it has a different sound to it, rather than the voice I know. It has the same quality as the voice for BG. I think you would have to really know the person to pick up on the voice, same as the walk or clothing.
I agree and also on the recent television special, they pointed out that there were missing railroad tracks and areas that were rotted, so the walk may be different due to the fact that he had to alter his walk to traverse the bridge.

I think she means the ravine had leaves all over the ground, not that the girls were covered with leaves.

They might have been covered with leaves - but I don't think she or anyone who's not LE knows this detail for sure.
I was NOT the one who said that the bodies were covered in leaves but if you read my earlier post I quoted her as saying the ravine was full of leaves :)

from podcast #2 DTH

I agree and also on the recent television special, they pointed out that there were missing railroad tracks and areas that were rotted, so the walk may be different due to the fact that he had to alter his walk to traverse the bridge.

Yes, and he is looking down, looking where he is walking too. But he must be moving fast to have caught up to them like he did. Also I looked at the clothing and I am convinced, even with the pixelating that he has a hooded sweatshirt on under that coat, and the hood is pulled up and over and a bit down to cover his face. I think it is over sized too. That white sticking out, could be part of the sweatshirt, like it is too big under the coat and is sticking out.

I was NOT the one who said that the bodies were covered in leaves but if you read my earlier post I quoted her as saying the ravine was full of leaves :)

from podcast #2 DTH

The interview I linked agrees with your statement that the ravine had leaves all over the ground (which she has consistently said), that the ravine area is indeed where their bodies were found, and that she doesn't know how their bodies looked when they were first discovered.

So while they may have been covered with leaves (it would explain a few things about the crime, including what @FrostedGlass pointed out about Carter not wanting to discuss why they weren't found sooner, as well as why Delphi investigators were so interested in a particular case in Colorado that they flew there to interview the POI), we have no evidence that this is the case right now.

Last edited:
I think the descriptions of the murder scene are confusing due to where the speaker is from.

The county I grew up in is mostly flat; we would likely describe the murder scene as 'that flat spot at the bottom of those steep hills'. We don't have gorges but we may have a few ravines.

So, I've been following since they were missing. When they were found, it was reported that there were footprints near the water that led them to the location. I mentioned how much info will be gotten from that! Shoe size. Which direction. Type of shoes. Maybe even weight, due to impression depth..... then, silence. It wasn't talked about any more. The info was in a news article. Not Facebook rumor. I have tried to look at my old posts, but I couldn't get that far back. So, yes. There was definitely footprints reported at/ near the scene, early on.
The only thing I ever saw was this article and the #5 picture. It shows a detective down by the creek bank looking around. The image can be enlarged and a couple spots look like they were disturbed.

UPDATED: Foul play suspected after bodies found along Deer Creek in Delphi; vigil held

Even though many people interpreted it as a reference to online behaviors, the member of ISP who said this did not use the word "online." I myself remembered it as "online" until I looked up the exact quote once:

"Be cautious and careful and be parents...know where your children are and what they are doing."

ISP: Delphi Amber Alert wouldn't have helped
Yes and I remember thinking...but the adults did know where they were and what they were doing. That's the reason I read more into it because the girls had permission, rides and we only being dropped off to walk around for a short time. I was sure LE meant online activity by that statement.

Yes and I remember thinking...but the adults did know where they were and what they were doing. That's the reason I read more into it because the girls had permission, rides and we only being dropped off to walk around for a short time. I was sure LE meant online activity by that statement.
I guess I always took his statement to mean that there was a dangerous man on the loose and parents should probably keep close tabs on their kids for awhile.

I initially read the same thing into it - especially since the media was going with this as "the snapchat murders" but I've since come to think that he meant exactly what he said - just know where your kids are and what they are doing because this could happen again. Out of all the LE in this case, he's been the one most consistently saying that the community needs to be cautious. MOO

Question for locals:

How rural or isolated from the rest of the state is this town?

Who would visit it or pass by it on a regular basis?

Are there any big touristy sites there like an amusement park or concert venue?

Is it directly on the route of one big city to another?

Are there any big warehouses there like Amazon etc?

Im not from the area but have been told on here that there are meat packing plants. I’m assuming that there are long haul truckers who pick up and deliver. Maybe a trucker from another state comes through regularly. That might explain how he’s familiar with the bridge and trails. I think there would be a lot of trucks that come and go throughout the day. A 6 hr drive is nothing to a long hauler.

There are quite a few little nuggets in this interview, some of which we have not actually discussed here yet.

The interview is with the reporter/producer of the DTH podcast as well as Dr. Casey Jordan, criminologist. HLN viewers were asked to submit questions. Here are some of the interesting things discussed - this is all paraphrased from what the reporters and experts said and their opinions. If you want to skim, look for the items in italics:

Does the case need a fresh set of eyes? The investigators working on the case have told the DTH reporters that they ask other people to look at the file and give opinions on what they might have missed, and they’ve done this many times. "Nobody is too proud to ask for help." They have and will take the file to anyone else at another agency who agrees to take a look. Carter has told the reporters that they have gone all the way back to the beginning multiple times. There are other agencies who are helping with the case file. The FBI was involved from the beginning and continues to offer up every resource they have. Every test, every resource that they've needed has been given by the FBI. Investigators presented this case to an entire class of agents at Quantico to try to get ideas. Maybe getting more outside criminologists or behavioralists who’ve worked other cases and can look at it from a behavioral rather than evidentiary standpoint would be a good thing. Many cases are solved because a person remembers something four or five years later but keeping it in the media is the best hope.

Is the killer watching the documentaries? Yes, definitely, according to the criminologist. She doesn't think he has killed before. But if the news continues to cover this, it will put a damper on his fantasies, might lead to a change in the trajectory that could lead to a repeat of that pattern, the fantasy of abduction and so on. The news coverage chills his future thought pattern because it reminds him he can get caught. If he is still fantasizing about hurting little girls, things like the DTH podcast may be stopping it. Carter engages in dialog with the killer. He is speaking directly to him. The reporters think that on some level LE were waiting for some kind of response. One reporter asked Carter directly if the killer has responded or sought communication with LE and at that time he said he didn't think so. But maybe he will do so in the future, and investigators are ready for it.

Genealogical DNA - LE confirmed to reporters that they do have DNA. They don't say what kind or if it's a full profile. TL says that they are aware of investigative genetic genealogy technology and at this time have decided to stick with other testing. We don’t know the state of the DNA, or if the profile is complete. At the time of the last presser, in the opinion of the experts LE had certainly had time to run all the DNA tests that they could do. She wishes they were more forthcoming about what they are doing with DNA but understands why they don’t say more.

Why didn’t the girls run? We don’t know what happened from the south end of the bridge to where they were found. They may have run. One of the things that led investigators to the body was the black Nike shoe that Libby had been wearing so it's entirely plausible that it came off of her foot in an escape effort. The families have expressed their belief that Abby and Libby were very close and neither would have left the other. One reporter feels based on his knowledge of the video that there was a decision to go through this together. He’s not going to say whether it’s Abby or Libby who made this decision.

Have police searched and tried to match the signatures at the scene with other crimes in the area? Think of signatures as something, not necessarily unique, but specific to the culprit and it reflects - criminologists sometimes call it “leakage” - the inner workings of their brain. Sometimes we call it ritual but that’s not a good word because it speaks to exact repetition, which signatures are not. There is an amount of behavioral satisfaction or arousal that offenders are getting that leads them to behave in certain ways before, during and after the crime. This is very often sexual. Police admit they have two or three things they would characterize as signatures that are specific to that offender that you could expect to see repeated in future crimes. They are afraid of tainting the prosecution’s ability to prosecute the case if they let the information out. But you can be sure that they are consulting with criminologists and the FBI to try to ascertain what the signatures mean and they are certainly looking for them to appear in similar crimes. If this was the first homicide this perpetrator committed, then these signatures were things that emerged during this event and if he doesn’t go on to commit another homicide like this, you may not see them repeated. It’s difficult to get information from other agencies. Not all violent crimes are represented in VICAP. Of the 18,000 law agencies in America only 1400 are using VICAP. Personnel have to be devoted to maintaining the database and most agencies do not have the manpower.

What type of evidence could police be hiding? They have to have holdbacks. They want to make sure that when they get the perpetrator, that person will be saying unique things that have not been out in the public. They say the video is not as long as people think it is. The sheriff says its not anywhere near 8 minutes long. The suspect says no other words on it. They are still doing testing on the cell phone and video. They are exploring items within the video. A lot of blue jackets have been turned in and LE has said they don’t have THE blue jacket yet. Usually cause of death is not a holdback. Why is it held back in this case? Possibly the COD has a connection to the signature. Maybe they weren’t both killed the same way. The behavioralist says if LE wanted to let one piece of information out, it should be COD.

Who are the witnesses? Witnesses are not speaking to the press. The trails were not completely isolated. People were walking the trails that day. There are primary witnesses who’ve enabled the sketches. We only have a vague understanding of who they are. There is a tangible fear considering the guy is still on the loose. Did anyone speak to the suspect? We understand that a young witness, still in high school, may have said a few words to the suspect. He said a few words to her and she was able to turn around and go in another direction. We don’t know how long he was out there looking for victims, or if he had been there in days prior. We don’t know where he came from or went to when he was done.

Did he know the girls? The reporters have not uncovered any evidence that he knew them. It’s a small town so maybe he or his family knew of the girls, doesn’t mean they knew each other. The reporters' belief is that he didn't know them. The behavioralist doesn’t believe he knew them at all. She thinks LE should look at people who lived in this area over the last twenty years. Did he hang out there for days? The reporters believe that everything was set - location, time, etc. - and the only thing that wasn’t set was the identity of the victims.

Who would cover for him? Someone probably knows some critical piece of information but doesn't yet realize they know it.

There are quite a few little nuggets in this interview, some of which we have not actually discussed here yet.

The interview is with the reporter/producer of the DTH podcast as well as Dr. Casey Jordan, criminologist. HLN viewers were asked to submit questions. Here are some of the interesting things discussed - this is all paraphrased from what the reporters and experts said and their opinions. If you want to skim, look for the items in italics:

Does the case need a fresh set of eyes? The investigators working on the case have told the DTH reporters that they ask other people to look at the file and give opinions on what they might have missed, and they’ve done this many times. "Nobody is too proud to ask for help." They have and will take the file to anyone else at another agency who agrees to take a look. Carter has told the reporters that they have gone all the way back to the beginning multiple times. There are other agencies who are helping with the case file. The FBI was involved from the beginning and continues to offer up every resource they have. Every test, every resource that they've needed has been given by the FBI. Investigators presented this case to an entire class of agents at Quantico to try to get ideas. Maybe getting more outside criminologists or behavioralists who’ve worked other cases and can look at it from a behavioral rather than evidentiary standpoint would be a good thing. Many cases are solved because a person remembers something four or five years later but keeping it in the media is the best hope.

Is the killer watching the documentaries? Yes, definitely, according to the criminologist. She doesn't think he has killed before. But if the news continues to cover this, it will put a damper on his fantasies, might lead to a change in the trajectory that could lead to a repeat of that pattern, the fantasy of abduction and so on. The news coverage chills his future thought pattern because it reminds him he can get caught. If he is still fantasizing about hurting little girls, things like the DTH podcast may be stopping it. Carter engages in dialog with the killer. He is speaking directly to him. The reporters think that on some level LE were waiting for some kind of response. One reporter asked Carter directly if the killer has responded or sought communication with LE and at that time he said he didn't think so. But maybe he will do so in the future, and investigators are ready for it.

Genealogical DNA - LE confirmed to reporters that they do have DNA. They don't say what kind or if it's a full profile. TL says that they are aware of investigative genetic genealogy technology and at this time have decided to stick with other testing. We don’t know the state of the DNA, or if the profile is complete. At the time of the last presser, in the opinion of the experts LE had certainly had time to run all the DNA tests that they could do. She wishes they were more forthcoming about what they are doing with DNA but understands why they don’t say more.

Why didn’t the girls run? We don’t know what happened from the south end of the bridge to where they were found. They may have run. One of the things that led investigators to the body was the black Nike shoe that Libby had been wearing so it's entirely plausible that it came off of her foot in an escape effort. The families have expressed their belief that Abby and Libby were very close and neither would have left the other. One reporter feels based on his knowledge of the video that there was a decision to go through this together. He’s not going to say whether it’s Abby or Libby who made this decision.

Have police searched and tried to match the signatures at the scene with other crimes in the area? Think of signatures as something, not necessarily unique, but specific to the culprit and it reflects - criminologists sometimes call it “leakage” - the inner workings of their brain. Sometimes we call it ritual but that’s not a good word because it speaks to exact repetition, which signatures are not. There is an amount of behavioral satisfaction or arousal that offenders are getting that leads them to behave in certain ways before, during and after the crime. This is very often sexual. Police admit they have two or three things they would characterize as signatures that are specific to that offender that you could expect to see repeated in future crimes. They are afraid of tainting the prosecution’s ability to prosecute the case if they let the information out. But you can be sure that they are consulting with criminologists and the FBI to try to ascertain what the signatures mean and they are certainly looking for them to appear in similar crimes. If this was the first homicide this perpetrator committed, then these signatures were things that emerged during this event and if he doesn’t go on to commit another homicide like this, you may not see them repeated. It’s difficult to get information from other agencies. Not all violent crimes are represented in VICAP. Of the 18,000 law agencies in America only 1400 are using VICAP. Personnel have to be devoted to maintaining the database and most agencies do not have the manpower.

What type of evidence could police be hiding? They have to have holdbacks. They want to make sure that when they get the perpetrator, that person will be saying unique things that have not been out in the public. They say the video is not as long as people think it is. The sheriff says its not anywhere near 8 minutes long. The suspect says no other words on it. They are still doing testing on the cell phone and video. They are exploring items within the video. A lot of blue jackets have been turned in and LE has said they don’t have THE blue jacket yet. Usually cause of death is not a holdback. Why is it held back in this case? Possibly the COD has a connection to the signature. Maybe they weren’t both killed the same way. The behavioralist says if LE wanted to let one piece of information out, it should be COD.

Who are the witnesses? Witnesses are not speaking to the press. The trails were not completely isolated. People were walking the trails that day. There are primary witnesses who’ve enabled the sketches. We only have a vague understanding of who they are. There is a tangible fear considering the guy is still on the loose. Did anyone speak to the suspect? We understand that a young witness, still in high school, may have said a few words to the suspect. He said a few words to her and she was able to turn around and go in another direction. We don’t know how long he was out there looking for victims, or if he had been there in days prior. We don’t know where he came from or went to when he was done.

Did he know the girls? The reporters have not uncovered any evidence that he knew them. It’s a small town so maybe he or his family knew of the girls, doesn’t mean they knew each other. The reporters' belief is that he didn't know them. The behavioralist doesn’t believe he knew them at all. She thinks LE should look at people who lived in this area over the last twenty years. Did he hang out there for days? The reporters believe that everything was set - location, time, etc. - and the only thing that wasn’t set was the identity of the victims.

Who would cover for him? Someone probably knows some critical piece of information but doesn't yet realize they know it.
The blue jackets turned in was interesting to me. Made me wonder how they knew each one wasn't THE one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member