IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd need a search warrant to get a person's phone activity... 30 days And I think it's illegal to ask the cell phone companies to simply give the names of all the cell phone numbers that pinged during the event. Of course the law doesn't stop the NSA or CIA from doing it when they deem necessary... but it is technically illegal.

Not to worry. It's legal, thanks to AT&T and a thing called "Project Hemisphere". I'll attach some links FYI, but the short version is that AT&T provides LE with "metadata" it collects, which data can be reconstructed to identify individuals as well as specific data usage, history, etc. -for a (sizeable) fee. The "project" part, IMO, is the agreement AT&T makes with "government", to not publicly disclose the use of Hemisphere data, which means that any suspect or evidence discovered via said data, can not be tried using it. Which leads to a thing called "parallel construction", the method by which LE must re-"discover" the "evidence" from legal sources.
See:

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/mcstay-...ations-7621535

McStay Family Slayings Arise in AT&T For-Profit Spying Revelations
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2016 AT 6:33 A.M.

>>>snip

A connection between AT&T's massive—and for-profit—secret spying program and the beating deaths of a San Clemente businessman and his family?

Welcome to the brave new world...

...Despite the comfort Merritt's arrest has brought to the friends and loved ones of the deceased, the idea that a private company like AT&T is profiting off taxpayer-funded spying on Americans is raising red flags. As Merritt writes:

Hemisphere isn’t a “partnership” but rather a product AT&T developed, marketed, and sold at a cost of millions of dollars per year to taxpayers. No warrant is required to make use of the company’s massive trove of data, according to AT&T documents, only a promise from law enforcement to not disclose Hemisphere if an investigation using it becomes public.

These new revelations come as the company seeks to acquire Time Warner in the face of vocal opposition saying the deal would be bad for consumers. Donald Trump told supporters over the weekend he would kill the acquisition if he’s elected president; Hillary Clinton has urged regulators to scrutinize the deal.

...“The for-profit spying program that these documents detail is more terrifying than the illegal NSA surveillance programs that Edward Snowden exposed," says campaign director Evan Greer in a statement. "Far beyond the NSA and FBI, these tools are accessible to a wide range of law enforcement officers including local police, without a warrant, as long as they pay up. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Also,

http://boingboing.net/2016/10/26/att...product-f.html

12:04 AM WED OCT 26, 2016

>>>snip

...Because the data was sold by AT&T and not compelled by government, all of the Hemisphere surveillance was undertaken without a warrant or judicial review (indeed, it's likely judges were never told the true story of where the data being entered into evidence by the police really came from -- again, something that routinely happened before the existence of Stingray surveillance was revealed).

The millions given to AT&T for its customers' data came from the federal government under the granting program that also allowed city and town police forces to buy military equipment for civilian policing needs. Cities paid up to a million dollars a year for access to AT&T's customer records.

EFF is suing the US government to reveal DoJ records on the use of Hemisphere data...

(article continues)

<<<snip

And:

http://www.talkandroid.com/304056-at...y-on-citizens/

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/1...e-phone-spying

So. We can't know what LE might know about any data gotten via phone data, but we may suppose that they are using every resource available to them, including Project Hemisphere.

It's disingenuous to accuse local media of misleading us or the general public on purpose. They are humans too. Sure, they want a story, but mistakes happen.

All of us have made them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
And I don't know or think that he "made up" that information. Maybe said off the record or coming from internal scuttlebutt that they have but can't report.

JMO

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

If Carter is frustrated then it's high time that he release the video of the guy actually walking on that bridge. Seriously, how is that going to hinder the case? Maybe there is no video of him ON the bridge, maybe those are just pictures she took otherwise it does not make since to "withhold" that info from the public. Maybe she used the video function only after he got closer to them or was already in control of them. Who knows. Are they concerned about the girls voices/state of mind which can be heard audibly? Then mute the sound but release the small portion of video of him walking. It may be the very thing that brings in the right tip.

Talk about frustrated, I'm frustrated with ISP. It has been a month and it seems they are no closer today than they were Feb. 14th. If they continue to protect the case by withholding then I think it will turn into a cold case.

:(

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

I agree. It is so frustrating that the public doesn't have more to go on. What are they being so secretive about? Memories of those who may have seen something weeks ago may have faded. If they want the public's help, then they must first help the public.

You would have to read the Federal Register link that is the first link in the article - it is lengthy. But it goes on to say that almost all 2G and 3G handsets were equipped with GPS in 2010 - the requirement is to have them in all (over time as phones get replaced). Basically, what that article has wrong is not that GPS chips are not required in all phones but rather that the goal of the FCC to implement a unitary location requirement for E911 - using GPS only - has been pushed back or relaxed. That means that using the radio signal and the network to locate phones for E911 purposes is still allowed. So the requirements for GPS chips from the 1996 law is still there (implementation over time).

i appreciate the IMO you included... and welcome! that is absolutely intimidating, i agree. but wouldn't a sawed off shotgun be remarkably loud and... forgive me for this... messy? JMO

You can hear a sawed off 10 miles away. I know. I collect guns. Weird for a lady, but it's a passion of mine.

Motive?

Sexual assault?

Did they see a drug deal?

This dude sure had a big gun and seems his coat was stuffed

This is what BG has in his right jacket pocket. keeping his hand in his jean pocket so he can secure and hide the weapon with his elbow. Pretty intimidating. IMO

Is this currently made? I know next to nuthin bout guns. Is this a double barrel shotgun? Looks awfully cumbersome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RSBM - and hopefully this is okay to discuss. I've been a geocacher for a long time, and it's taken me to some really great places I would never have found on my own. I own no Geocaching labeled clothing or other items [emoji3]. I have a gpsr, but rarely use it anymore, my iPhone works just fine, with a little geo-sense. So agree with Nin. It is valid random reason to be out and about. MOO, etc.

ETA - sorry, Nin, I cut your name off the quote!,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, I agree. MOO:clap:

Well my son came home from San Diego he was on a Navy Ship for two months can't tell you what he was doing for the government but I am going to ask a few thing about these little girls... He's taking me to eat on way home from airport so... I will catch up later and show him some of these posts..

Hope an arrest is made before i get back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OT:
Oh, I hope I haven't missed you! If you haven't had lunch yet, I have a suggestion! Ask him to take you to Pt. Loma Seafood for a Sloppy Fish Sandwich and chips! It's right by the airport, on the bay, you can eat outside. I'm jealous, just thinking of it.
Do go!

Also, please thank your son for his service to us all. GO NAVY!

I think you can see the outline of a large weapon on this jacket.
It's quite likely. And he could have used a firearm to scare and control them, then not even use it to kill them. It's a very good line of query. And it's as good as any theory.

Motive?

Sexual assault?

Did they see a drug deal?

This dude sure had a big gun and seems his coat was stuffed
We don't know he had a gun. Could have been a salami hero, really.

JK a little. This case is driving me batty guano crazy.

Personally I think the Monon high bridge needs to close even without this terrible tragedy it is a huge safety concern being in a poor state condition wise. If you can't get across a bridge safely in an emergency you shouldn't be able to get across it at all. There are no railings either so it could be the scene of a tragic accident at some point.

Yep. Cut it up and send it to US Steel in Gary, Indiana.

I am in agreement with you. The arrest of RL is strategic, IMO. Police have said that there have been arrests made in the course of this investigation, unrelated to the murders, though. Have we been made aware of any of those other arrests? If not, why is this one so public? Because RL is the property owner?

Maybe. But in other cases I have followed, police have not worried about lesser charges/violations when they are focusing on something major, and in this case we have the double murder of two young girls. That would be pretty much a huge focus for them right now. Why worry about some probation violation??

It is puzzling, but if LE had evidence tying RL to the crime, I'm pretty sure they would have searched his house by now. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

Just curious, can someone tell me why we cant talk about Robert Lindsay's article?

He was a member here, made some disturbing posts that have since been deleted, mods asked us not to discuss him or his blog.....

Personally I think the Monon high bridge needs to close even without this terrible tragedy it is a huge safety concern being in a poor state condition wise. If you can't get across a bridge safely in an emergency you shouldn't be able to get across it at all. There are no railings either so it could be the scene of a tragic accident at some point.
I googled repurposed train trestles, with wood and railings they become gorgeous bike and walking paths. That would be awesome, provided it isn't leading to private, inaccessible land on the other side.

keep the tips coming...

[video=twitter;841351021993558019]https://twitter.com/ISPLafayette/status/841351021993558019[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay