IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what did the state gain? A 'he deserved it anyway, so what the heck if we lost that badly played hand' outcome, it would seem.

Prison won't change his behavior.

No but it will keep him from killing someone for a few years. Prisons aren't meant to change behavior. They are places of punishment and people are put there to protect society from their destructive behavior. This man had plenty of opportunities to get help and change. He didn't.

IMHO all this back and forth regarding the fairness of RL's sentence is not actually useful sleuthing for the crime.
It's a reflection of everyone'should frustration with lack of detail in the case. The court seems to have applied a sentence appropriate within their guidelines.

The man was sentenced to serve the remainder of his probation, in addition to two years on a new felony charge of being a habitual traffic violator, totaling 3½ years in the Indiana Department of Correction.

"You're a danger to this community," a judge said about the man's numerous drunk driving convictions and probation violations.

He has not been labelled a suspect, and he has not been arrested or charged in the killings.

"Maybe in the future, no one else will be murdered in my backyard," he said during the hearing.

According to a petition to revoke probation filed March 16, the man drove to the Carroll County Transfer Station on Feb. 13— the same day as the girls' disappearance — although he is prohibited from operating or having access to a vehicle.

During the sentencing hearing, deputy prosecutor Jerry Bean said the man's trip to the dump took place before the girls were dropped off at a hiking trail near his property.

Surveillance video from the transfer station "clearly shows" the property owner driving his truck to drop off a load of trash, Bean said.

Previously, Bean declined to comment on when the man visited the dump or if it was related to Delphi's ongoing double homicide investigation.

The man also was accused of consuming an alcoholic beverage Feb. 27 at a Pizza King restaurant in Americus.

"It had absolutely nothing to do with (the Delphi killings)," Bean said during the hearing.

http://www.jconline.com/story/news/...rty-owner-sentenced-probation-case/100280706/

He could've recognized his addiction to alcohol was something stronger than he is. He could've voluntarily sought treatment as many, many other people do who recognize their lives are in deep Bandini and they know they have to change it. No excuse because everything that happened is a result of his choices. IMO

That's essentially saying that he could have been in control of his uncontrolled habits and addictions if only he had been more in control of them.

No one said he's excused. What some of us are saying is that prison changes nothing about his habits and I will add that this punishment seems to be more for the satisfaction of others than for the corrective benefit of RL.

How will he be stopped from habitual behaviors by prison time?

Punishment and consequences works on the average person who learns from the consequence and is self-correcting after the delivery of the consequence. People with compulsive and habitual behaviors don't self-correct because of punitive outcomes.

It feels good to punish in these cases perhaps, but whether or not it's effective is the issue. And it's not.

At the very least, it gets RL off the road, IMO.

So, all those who think RL is BG, if RL cannot even get away with driving while suspended, how did he get away with this perfectly planned abduction and double homicide?

Who is to say he did get away with it?

Whoever the perp turns out to be, I am not yet willing to say they got away with it. LE recovered evidence and say they are quietly making progress.

An arrest could come any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as suspected RL is not a suspect. Which makes perfect sense to me as he is not BG in my eyes.

At 77 he is way to old for be BG

:moo:

RL wasn't pulled over by LE during the drive to TS so there's no evidence of him driving under the influence for the umpteenth time. RL's trip to the TS was discovered during the process of an investigation.
Sorry what is your point exactly?

IMO, rather than taking responsibility for his own behavior, it appears he is blaming his situation on the murders. Sad.

And this is exactly why an habitual drunk driver NEEDS this time in prison. Obviously he hasn't learned a damn thing. What a shame.

I did have a tiny bit of sympathy for the guy when I read how much time he got, but not after reading that.

[video=twitter;851475719645532160]https://twitter.com/VanwykWTHR/status/851475719645532160[/video]

Rich Van Wyk‏@VanwykWTHR 24m
24 minutes ago

8 weeks after the murder of #Delphigirls Abby and Libby detectives are looking for a break in the case leading them to this guy #wthr

That's essentially saying that he could have been in control of his uncontrolled habits and addictions if only he had been more in control of them.

No one said he's excused. What some of us are saying is that prison changes nothing about his habits and I will add that this punishment seems to be more for the satisfaction of others than for the corrective benefit of RL.

Prison is punitive and not corrective, and that's kind of the point of depriving a citizen of their freedoms we enjoy in this country. Actions have consequences, and when you get caught time after time, you're going to probably be sitting in a cell. IMO

Who is to say he did get away with it?

Whoever the perp turns out to be, I am not yet willing to say they got away with it. LE recovered evidence and say they are quietly making progress.

An arrest could come any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point is BG is smart, RL isn't.

Did he kill someone with his car in his original offence? I didn't know that.
From Bemused:

Maybe that judge saved someone else from death at the willful habitual offender's future thumbing his nose at the law

I think that sentence unintentionally sounds like he had previously caused someone's death, but he did not.

Just to clarify.

No but it will keep him from killing someone for a few years. Prisons aren't meant to change behavior. They are places of punishment and people are put there to protect society from their destructive behavior. This man had plenty of opportunities to get help and change. He didn't.

As I said previously, punishment has little or no effect on compulsive or habitual behaviors. Meanwhile, two people were not kept from being killed and the RL rodeo has done exactly nothing to create punishment for those killings.

My point is BG is smart, RL isn't.

You can tell that from a blurry photo?

ETA No one knows what happened or what evidence LE has except LE. Maybe there was a good deal of evidence or maybe this was a seasoned killer who left little. We don't know that so I won't venture a guess as to BG's intelligence.

[video=twitter;851462979874955264]https://twitter.com/RussMcQuaidNews/status/851462979874955264[/video]

Russ McQuaid‏
Verified account
@RussMcQuaidNews 3m
3 minutes ago

ron logan who owns land where two Delphi girls murdered gets 3.5 years for driving crimes but is not deaths suspect
"deaths suspect"?
Reporting suckage at its finest

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thank you Mercedes. I should have replied with quote in my original post. From #617

Russ McQuaid ✔ @RussMcQuaidNews ron logan who owns land where two Delphi girls murdered gets 3.5 years for driving crimes but is not deaths suspect
[video=twitter;851462979874955264]https://twitter.com/RussMcQuaidNews/status/851462979874955264[/video]

ETA I believe the original timestamp on tweet is 8:52

I probably wasn't clear, Bird of Paradise, but my point actually was, was this said in "open court" by someone today, ex: LE, probation officer, judge, etc., or just added on to the twitter by the reporter. In other words, is "not a death suspect" official?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay