IN - Four sisters, ages 5-11, die in Flora house fire, Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read that the mother filed for divorce two weeks before the fire. That puts me in a particular mindset. I'm hoping these girls get justice soon.
MOO but I feel that somehow family dynamics or an acquaintance of the mother could be responsible for this tragedy. Early on in the case LE said that some family members weren’t cooperating with investigators.

What reasons could family members have for not providing information that could help solve the murders of four young girls?

MOO

MOO but I feel that somehow family dynamics or an acquaintance of the mother could be responsible for this tragedy. Early on in the case LE said that some family members weren’t cooperating with investigators.

What reasons could family members have for not providing information that could help solve the murders of four young girls?

MOO
I've wondered this same thing, but also I've seen in other cases where the family didn't cooperate but ended up being totally innocent. Usually they had a criminal background, or something, and were either scared of legal problems, or untrusting of police.

Another consideration I've had is if the "family" isn't referring to LE's POIs' family, instead of the girls'?

I've wondered this same thing, but also I've seen in other cases where the family didn't cooperate but ended up being totally innocent. Usually they had a criminal background, or something, and were either scared of legal problems, or untrusting of police.

Another consideration I've had is if the "family" isn't referring to LE's POIs' family, instead of the girls'?
I believe it is referring to the family members of the girls.

During the press conference, ISP Superintendent Doug Carter said his office really needs to sit down and speak to the whole family, as well as Rose, about the days leading up to the fire.

More from the above article:

He reiterated several times that ISP needs complete access to the family.

“They’ve not offered themselves to sit down with us,” he said when asked if they were not cooperating.

When asked if the mother was not speaking with them, Carter replied, “We would love to sit down with the mother and talk with her.”

Why would the mother not speak with LE to help solve the murders of her four precious daughters?

. “It’s because we don’t have access to the whole family,” he said. “We have to sit down and have unfettered, completely transparent conversation with everybody that had access to that home for the weeks, months and days up to that day when those four beautiful girls were killed. That’s why.

This sentence in particular causes me to ponder some activities that could have been going on in the home

. “We have to sit down and have unfettered, completely transparent conversation with everybody that had access to that home for the weeks, months and days up to that day when those four beautiful girls were killed

I guess I was under the impression that the kitchen and mother's bedroom were downstairs, and the girls' bedroom was upstairs. She described how she woke up to smoke and tried to get up the stairs but couldn't. I don't know if it was official, but somewhere said the girls died of smoke inhalation, I think. I need to look for these articles.
This is my EXACT problem. I am trying to write up this case and the police and some articles say that the K's and Gaylin lived in the downstairs apartment... but then other articles say that Gaylin was downstairs and the girl were upstairs (which makes a lot more sense in why they couldn't get to them) and Gaylin herself said in an interview "I pretty much tried to save my babies by running up the steps. I got halfway and I couldn’t breathe. And I just ran out the house to try to get help.”

So which is it?? The non-working smoke detector was cited as being at the top of the stairs, which leads me to believe that Gaylin and the girls did occupy an apartment that included an upstairs, because that smoke detector was definitely inside their apartment. Right?

This is my EXACT problem. I am trying to write up this case and the police and some articles say that the K's and Gaylin lived in the downstairs apartment... but then other articles say that Gaylin was downstairs and the girl were upstairs (which makes a lot more sense in why they couldn't get to them) and Gaylin herself said in an interview "I pretty much tried to save my babies by running up the steps. I got halfway and I couldn’t breathe. And I just ran out the house to try to get help.”

So which is it?? The non-working smoke detector was cited as being at the top of the stairs, which leads me to believe that Gaylin and the girls did occupy an apartment that included an upstairs, because that smoke detector was definitely inside their apartment. Right?
I don't know if this will help us determine where everyone was, but it does show the layout at the bottom of the page.

Beacon - Carroll County, IN - Report: 08-10-10-007-073.000-016

This from the court documents: settles the 1-floor vs. two-floor question:
"That at all times relevant and material to this cause of action, ROSE leased a two-bedroom, two-story apartment in the 100 block of East Columbia Street, commonly known as 103 E. Columbia Street, Flora, Indiana (hereinafter the “Property”)."

And this: "That upon waking up, ROSE exited her bedroom and attempted to travel up the stairs to locate her four minor children KJP, KLD, KPW, and KDM to assist them in exiting the Property."

Last edited:
Maybe because she knows the person who tried to kill her and her daughters ? IMO.

Even if he filed first, I suspect him. IMO.
Well he pretty quickly moved to Texas. The question is, where was he the night of the fire? Surely a man who had been until very recently living with the family and who was in the midst of a divorce from Gaylin would be suspect #1. I find it very odd that literally not a single article about the case even addresses his existence. If you were to read them, you'd assume she was a single mom (some of the articles even say that). Also I noticed that the 5 year old, Kionnie, had no father listed in her obit - the other three girls all did. And her last name - Welch - is the same last name as the maternal grandmother listed for one of the other girls. I don't know what to make of that.

Well he pretty quickly moved to Texas. The question is, where was he the night of the fire? Surely a man who had been until very recently living with the family and who was in the midst of a divorce from Gaylin would be suspect #1. I find it very odd that literally not a single article about the case even addresses his existence. If you were to read them, you'd assume she was a single mom (some of the articles even say that). Also I noticed that the 5 year old, Kionnie, had no father listed in her obit - the other three girls all did. And her last name - Welch - is the same last name as the maternal grandmother listed for one of the other girls. I don't know what to make of that.
I did note on the court records that paperwork was returned to the court, unsigned, by GR only a day or two before the fire.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Escolada
Back